IT.COM

Domainagents (?)

NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
How does it work. My guess: they make deals with some registrars. When someone makes a search at one of those registrars, and the domain he is interested in is not available, they show a backorder option, and domainagents handle brokering part. In case of sale, money is shared with domainagents, escrow.com, registrar, and the seller. How much the seller gets at the end? : I bet it can be 50 percent, maybe 1 percent.

DA requires escrow.com as transfer agent, and no alternatives allowed, even a simple push by the seller even before receiving money.

Are such agents helpful or harmful: I have no idea. They may be blocking some sales, or blocking good sales, or making unsellable domains sell. If I contact a potential buyer, there will be no reaction. This might be happening because the top of a company is not reachable, and it is surrounded by sharks each of which want their own share, so they don't care whether they buy domain for a low price, but they want a higher amount out of the total amount paid for the domain.

I bet I was offered 1K. but I get 200 USD initial offer. That 200 USD is actually backorder fee, not the offer itself. This way they eliminate risk, but at the same time leave us with very low offers. Strangely buyers won't try to visit the domain, or contact sellers directly. A big company would just say, take this money, and get the domain in 10 days. And then the less we get, the more they earn. But if brokers share a lot with me, such as actual content of buyer's emails, I'm sure many good sales would be possible.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is nothing illegitimate in their business model, which appears to be:
1) Buying ppc keywords or otherwise promoting domain brokerage, including through searches on some registrarts like namecheap 2) Sending up to 9 - 10 automated emails to whois email (or using registrar based contact form nowadays), initial inquiry and reminders if no response is received, as well as providing negotitation interface, all for $19.95 - so it is about $2 per email... paid by the potential buyer 3) Adding themselves as a "broker" into escrowcom transaction with some commission, 10% or so (escrowcom will pay them and will pay the seller).
Even if an owner accepts the service (which may or may not be considered as a "forced" brokerage by the owner - depending on owners taste) - then escrow.com is a must thing. Which implies that both parties will need to have verified escrow.com accounts (with appropriate IDs and, if applicable, corporate docs), they should also reside in "supported" countries and be ready to deal with escrow.com customer service.
If no agreements was reached - but the seller responded and negotiated- domainagents will pay him $10 by paypal for the time and efforts.

Last edited:
•••
Why escrow.com, why not Sedo, for example. Why does escrow.com require ID. DA's business model, may be ethical, but is not very healthy: it doesn't lead to sales, or good sales. It is too rigid.

•••
Because Sedo does not support 3rd party brokers I think

•••
DA requires escrow.com as transfer agent, and no alternatives allowed, even a simple push by the seller even before receiving money.
They allow other escrow services per your request. Just contact them directly.
And buyer is responsible to pay escrow fee.

•••
Why escrow.com, why not Sedo, for example. Why does escrow.com require ID. DA's business model, may be ethical, but is not very healthy: it doesn't lead to sales, or good sales. It is too rigid.

I have sold domains via DomainAgents.com, so I guess it does lead to some sales. It also tends to weed out the lowball tire kickers.

Brad

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back