Dynadot

Domain Parking: Tips & Tricks to Help You Earn More!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

smurge

The journey is never endingVIP Member
Impact
And so it begins!:wave:

My goal is to help people learn more about the parking industry and help them earn more money while spending less of it.

There are tons of tricks,tips,secrets that people use to make money in this business.

Let me say this, I will not discuss illegal or bad practices here so please don't ask.

What will I talk about? How to find domains,with traffic for cheap. Creating long term wealth for yourself and how to do it on a budget. I will answer questions and talk about what I know. If there is something I'm not familiar with or not knowledgeable about I will say so.

I am not here to start flaming wars with other domainers or parking gurus. Everyone has their own set of rules to making money. If you don't like mine, that's okay , but please share your ideas with everyone instead of bashing others.

Myths I want to debunk now:

#1. Parking is dead. (Far from it)

#2. You can't make money doing it. (B.S.- you can make a ton of money in it)

#3. Only the rich can do this. (This is not true!)

#4. Google doesn't like domain parking! (Yes they do, they make a ton of money off it. If they hated it so much why do they continue to support it?)

----

So what's the point of all this? It's to help people with parking.

Please feel free to email,pm, or post your questions here and I will do my best to answer them all.

Thanks!

RJ

(P.S. I'm not the best writer so I apologize for any grammar or sentence structure mistakes in advance.)

--Answers to Questions I'm frequently asked!--

#1. What parking companies do I support/like?

These are the main ones I use and have had great success with. I base my success not only on the amount of money I make but also, customer service and transparency.

In alphabetical order:

- Bodis.com (Supports Foreign Traffic)(Zero Click Model Supported)
- Domainsponsor.com (Supports Foreign Traffic) (Zero Click Model Supported)
- Parkingcrew.com (Supports Foreign Traffic)
- Voodoo.com (Highest Payouts In The Industry)

#2. What tools do you use to help you evaluate domains?

Besides my own "TOOL", which I'm not here to promote I would suggest the following;

1. Push2check.com - Great resource site (I do not affiliated with them in anyway)

If we break down the tools I generally look at the following:

Traffic Sources: (Understand that no tool is 100% accurate but together you can get a great picture.)

1. Compete.com
2. Alexa.com
3. Quantcast.com
4. Verisign Labs: http://domainscore.verisignlabs.com/ ( WARNING: This tool to be used when you have mastered other tools. The information on this site is tricky but can be useful)

History of the domain:

1. Archive.org
2. who.is

Backlinks: ( There are plenty of tools for these but here are some sites I use)

1. Majesticseo.com
2. Google Backlinks
3. Yahoo Backlinks
4. DuckDuckGo.com
5. AHrefs.com: https://ahrefs.com/site-explorer/overview/subdomains/brickbuyers.com
6. opensiteexplorer.org (Enjoy this one. It's the search engine for backlinks)

Keywords:

1. Google Keyword Tool

#3. Where can I get lists to analyze:

I have my own tools that do the work for me however here are a few places you can grab lists from to analyze:

1. Dynadot.com
2. Expireddomains.net - (good site)
3. Namejet.com
4. Snapnames.com
5. Godaddy.com
6. Freshdrop.net - (this covers a majority of the above & more)

#4. Do all your domains make money?:

NO!

I'll say it again : NO! I STILL PICK LOSERS!

In fact anyone who says they make money on every single purchase is lying. No one has a 100% success rate and you don't need to. What you need to do to win in this business is;

#1. Pick 51% winners
#2. Make sure to keep your costs low and make more then your spending.

Understand a single domain can make up the costs of lost ones. I picked a domain that makes me $15.00 a day in revenue. That means I'll make $450 a month with it and it's recouped $300 I've lost on previous domains.

Trust me, the sea of domains is massive and there are ton's of GOLDEN NUGGETS ready to be mined by all.

#5. How much do you spend on domains?:

I've spent anywhere from $.99 - $x,xxx! If I like a domain I will spend what I need, to get it as long as "I CAN STILL MAKE A PROFIT"! That's the key.

However, recently I am testing a new program which allows me to buy strictly "HANDREGS". YUP, Handregs! You would be surprised at how much stuff is just sitting on the ocean floor of domains that people think are garbage.

#6. Blacklisted Domains? Revenue Sucks! HELLLLLP!

This is something that's not addressed a lot and something everyone should be aware of: THE BLACK LIST!

This still happens to me this day. I'll buy a domain only to find out the previous owner got blacklisted from Google. This will affect your revenue greatly because Google will not allow Parking Companies to display the proper ad's on your site. If this happens you will need to go to a second feed like Yahoo! or Zeroclick model.

Common Terms for Blacklisted:

1. Faillisted
2. Blacklisted
3. Fail

Check the status of a domain when you park it and you'll see what I mean.

Edit:6/12/2012: Thank You www.ri.sch.edu.sg for this tool!

Originally Posted by www.ri.sch.edu.sg

One thing I can add to this thread is to check if the domain is blacklisted before you purchase them, simply point to:

https://api.bodis.com/domainclassification?domain=(Insert Domain Here)

Classification:

Primary = Google

Secondary = All others but Google (Faillisted,blacklisted, etc from google)

Hope that helps

#7. YUM! YUM! Domain Tasting

If you're not sure what this is it's when you buy a domain and test the traffic for a set amount of time and if your not happy with the traffic you can get a refund or partial refund of your handreg fee.

One thing I see all the time is: Domain tasting is dead! No it's not!

Yes; it might not be as prevalent as it once used to be but there are companies out there that still allow it. How do I know this? Because I do it.

#8. Can I promote or advertise my parked domains?

No, No, No, No, No, No,No, No, No, No, No, No,No, No, No, No, No, No,No, No, No, No, No, No!

If I wasn't clear let me repeat it; NO!

#9. What do all those backlinks mean from different sites?

(Thanks Martiinko for the info)

All those sites "backlink" scanners work by "downloading" the pages all over internet and then searching for URLs in it. Moving from one page to the other over these links. But...

1. There maybe a difference in last time they check this domain for backlinks.

2. There is definitely a huge difference in their databases of pages. That means if one site has smaller DB they don't probably have all the backlinks from as many pages as the other site.

3. Some backlinks are maybe updated, some maybe aren't. The process of "crawling" the web is very time consuming, so not all the backlinks can be verified every day.

To your other question. The links like you described are ok. If you park a domain all the requests go straight to the main page. But what is important is where is the link located. Is it a "spam in comments section", is it in the "blog post" or is maybe a "banner"?

So I collected couple different pages (and I'm collecting even more) for you to check if the webpage/domain was ever parked before ;) Some have form input some are just simple url + domain name.
I will make it into a simple web app, so you don't have to go to all of this pages when checking a domain name for parking history. Mostly screenshots.

Was this domain name parked before?
All of them are free. And I don't have any connection to them whatsoever.

Fun fact: This article got to 2th place in google search for Domain name parking history after 20 minutes.

*** WORDS OF WISDOM ***

1. Never spend money you can't afford to lose! Consider every domain investment a loss till you make your money back because that's what it is. No one can tell me different on this and the reason why is you are "NEGATIVE" that amount of money till it's recouped.

2. When you buy a domain to park; look to get your initial investment back within 6-12 months.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've been using both AHrefs.com and Opensiteexplorer.com for a couple of days. Data showed for the same domain differs in the results with ref domains and total backlinks.

I get this results:
Opensiteexplorer: Linking Root Domains 432. Total links: 13,373
Ahrefs: Ref domains: 198. Total Backlinks 3’621.
Alexa: Sites Linking In 526
Majesticseo: Referring Domains 803. External Backlinks 27,146 (Historic Index).

I'm a little mindblowed about this. Can you help me to explain this differences? Wich is the more reliable data?

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Still another question.
For parking purposes, the ext. links like "domain.com/somepage.html" are not valid? I supose that I must take into account the ones linking to "domain.com". I'm true?

All those sites "backlink" scanners work by "downloading" the pages all over internet and then searching for URLs in it. Moving from one page to the other over these links. But...

2. There is definitely a huge difference in their databases of pages. That means if one site has smaller DB they don't probably have all the backlinks from as many pages as the other site.

3. Some backlinks are maybe updated, some maybe aren't. The process of "crawling" the web is very time consuming, so not all the backlinks can be verified every day.

To your other question. The links like you described are ok. If you park a domain all the requests go straight to the main page. But what is important is where is the link located. Is it a "spam in comments section", is it in the "blog post" or is maybe a "banner"?

•••

Thanks for the information. I added it to the front page as it provides valuable insight.

•••
Just signed up with all domain parking sites mentioned in this thread, but I'm not offered any zero-click parking options. What could be the problem here?

Many thanks in advance,

Regards/Dorian.

•••
Just signed up with all domain parking sites mentioned in this thread, but I'm not offered any zero-click parking options. What could be the problem here?

Many thanks in advance,

Regards/Dorian.

Zeroclick is determined by the parking company. You will not have the option at this time to pick it. However, you can always email the support services to find out how you can get them listed on Zeroclick.

•••
•••
He earned almost $1.5k on that one. xD

•••
•••
OF course! There are 9269 approximate monthly visitors!

•••
smurge, what do you think of above.com?

I know it would decrease revenue since they take a cut as well, but in the long run would their provider optimisation help in getting the maximum revenues?

They already support all of the parking companies you've recommended.

•••
OF course! There are 9269 approximate monthly visitors!

You can't believe that ;) those numbers are mostly bogus... most of that traffic is bots.
E.g. I bought the domain that had by the verisign data and dyna dot around 30K visitors a month/ 9K unique visitors... And I parked it, real number? I'm getting 1-2 visits a day...

Different example would be a domain I just found... By the verisign it should have ~ 1.6 million total and 128K unique visitors a month. So I checked the Alexa, Majestic, Compete, Google, Bing ... nothing, nada... No backlinks, no indexed pages, no refering domains. :D Now tell me how does those ppl get to this page? A mil visitors in type in traffic? :hehe:

•••
I just had a $20 click on one of my domains - this domain would have earned me 1000's of dollars by now had I not been stupid enough to move it to damn benepark last year - I don't know what they did that a whole bunch of my domains got deindexed while parked with them.

It's now back where it had been parked initially and I hope it keeps getting $20 clicks to compensate for the lost revenue I've had.

This is particularly satisfying to me since it was in one of the first bunch of names that I handregged when I first started domaining and moreover I handregged the .net as well and what happened after I noticed that the .org extension was later on registered by one of the big domainers which gave me a lot of extra satisfaction.

The lesson of the story is if you have a domain which is doing well with one PC, think twice before you move it elsewhere. At least this is my belief.

Last edited:
•••
smurge, what do you think of above.com?

I know it would decrease revenue since they take a cut as well, but in the long run would their provider optimisation help in getting the maximum revenues?

They already support all of the parking companies you've recommended.

Above.com does not take any revenue. They are actually a great service to use if you have a lot of domains and need to find out where they will perform the best at. It's free to use them and I recommend you do give it a try.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

No I wouldnt and not because of the name.

I would not buy it because of the following reasons;

#1. It's been parked before. You can view this by checking out Archive.org and looking at the history. Since it was parked before I would have to ask myself; "Why is the original person giving this up if it was parked and had tons of people coming to it?"

The only logical answer I can come up with is; it doesnt have traffic.

#2. The backlinks point to a ton of chinese domains which seem to be fake and very little traffic.

So based right there on those 2 statements I would pass on it. Just my 2 cents!

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

I just had a $20 click on one of my domains - this domain would have earned me 1000's of dollars by now had I not been stupid enough to move it to damn benepark last year - I don't know what they did that a whole bunch of my domains got deindexed while parked with them.

It's now back where it had been parked initially and I hope it keeps getting $20 clicks to compensate for the lost revenue I've had.

This is particularly satisfying to me since it was in one of the first bunch of names that I handregged when I first started domaining and moreover I handregged the .net as well and what happened after I noticed that the .org extension was later on registered by one of the big domainers which gave me a lot of extra satisfaction.

The lesson of the story is if you have a domain which is doing well with one PC, think twice before you move it elsewhere. At least this is my belief.

Alot of people don't understand that the parking companies take a significant amount of the PPC. Example let's say a company pays you 15% of the revenue earned. Well the revenue is split 3 ways :
#1. Google takes a share
#2. Parking company takes a share
#3. You get your share.

The problem is, how much does google take? How much does the parking company take?

Let's use a $100.00 click and watch how fast it drops to barley anything.

#1. Google - Keeps $75.00

#2. Parking - Keep's $24.00 to cover costs, expenses etc. Leaving behind $1.00 to split with you and you get 15% of that.

#3. You - $0.15 per click!

Is it fair? Yes & No.

The problem with the industry is transparency and there is very little of it. That's why I try to stick to a core group of companies I feel I can trust and have been transparent with me so far.

•••
Alot of people don't understand that the parking companies take a significant amount of the PPC. Example let's say a company pays you 15% of the revenue earned. Well the revenue is split 3 ways :
#1. Google takes a share
#2. Parking company takes a share
#3. You get your share.

The problem is, how much does google take? How much does the parking company take?

Let's use a $100.00 click and watch how fast it drops to barley anything.

#1. Google - Keeps $75.00

#2. Parking - Keep's $24.00 to cover costs, expenses etc. Leaving behind $1.00 to split with you and you get 15% of that.

#3. You - $0.15 per click!

Is it fair? Yes & No.

The problem with the industry is transparency and there is very little of it. That's why I try to stick to a core group of companies I feel I can trust and have been transparent with me so far.

But Smurge that wasn't the issue that I was discussing or at least I don't think it was.

I was talking about the damage that parking it at Benepark did to some of my domains and they themselves admitted that at the time. The damage was they caused my domains to have been deindexed and once this happens to a parked domain, in my experience it will never be indexed again while it is still being parked.

On the contrary, I am quite happy with the $20 click which I've received on this domain, specially so that according to Adwords the CPC for this domain should be about $10.

•••
@ibidu - Most parked domains get de-indexed. It's par for the course, whichever parking company you use.

•••
@stub

No they don't - that's a misconception by a lot of domainers - there's a separate thread on this subject and there's lots of evidence to back up what I am saying.

In fact the opposite is true, the ones that get loads of Viewers will even be getting a page rank from Google. You would need to spend time researching this issue more in depthly to see it for yourself.

ps- anyone who still doesn't believe this, can have a sizable bet with me and I will show you some of my own domians which have been parked for a good long time and have kept their indexes in spite of it.

•••
Indexed is one thing. If I type mysite.com into Google, it'll show up, whether it's parked at Sedo, Voodoo etc. But ranking is another story. Do you have any that are parked at one of the regular parking places and rank on the first couple of pages in Google if you do a search on the keyword, not including the .com? Meaning ranking for my site, instead of mysite.com? If so, do you have any examples?

•••
Having a Page Rank is different from having a top rank to end up on the 1st page.

I was talking about parked sites which have been given a PR ranking by Google - I had one PR1 site myself and there was a guy who owned a site on I think it was about "Iraqi football" which was earning him between 700-1000 dollars a month which had gone up to PR4. So I would say, that site probably would have ranked in the top 10 for the keyword "Iraqi football or Goals" becaue it was getting massive amount of search engine traffic.

If you find that thread on "why parked sites not being indexed" you will see there are a lot of parked sites which get a PageRank from Google. So for a parked site to have a PR, it must have been indexed in the first place. They only lose their indexation when Google suspects or finds out a foul-paly was in operation.

•••
Indexed is one thing. If I type mysite.com into Google, it'll show up, whether it's parked at Sedo, Voodoo etc. But ranking is another story. Do you have any that are parked at one of the regular parking places and rank on the first couple of pages in Google if you do a search on the keyword, not including the .com? Meaning ranking for my site, instead of mysite.com? If so, do you have any examples?

If you search for exact words in the domain name and it's rare enough then it will show in the results. Google have good money in this, so why wouldn't they... E.g. My "Ositos teddy" domain (Spanish "Bears teddy") is at the first page of results, so is "Airplane One"... but not the NYC hotel domain.

Last edited:
•••

JB -
Here is an example of one I own.

Details:
excavatorleasing.com

It has been sitting in my Godaddy account doing nothing since 2005. I reg in 2004 - original owner, I think.

I decided to add it to my Voodoo account on JUNE 7th and it has already been indexed and is in the 8TH SPOT on the FIRST PAGE of Google when you simply type in Excavator Leasing - No Quotes, NO .com, Nothing. This is out of 728,000 results.

I am impressed only after 12 days at Voodoo and with it's history of just sitting parked at GD.

Try it and see where it shows up on Google for you, I would be interested if it is different on someone else's browser.

Jimmy

•••
JB -

Details:
excavatorleasing.com

It has been sitting in my Godaddy account doing nothing since 2005. I reg in 2004 - original owner, I think.

I decided to add it to my Voodoo account on JUNE 7th and it has already been indexed and is in the 8TH SPOT on the FIRST PAGE of Google when you simply type in Excavator Leasing - No Quotes, NO .com, Nothing. This is out of 728,000 results.

I am impressed only after 12 days at Voodoo and with it's history of just sitting parked at GD.

Try it and see where it shows up on Google for you, I would be interested if it is different on someone else's browser.

Jimmy

Seeing the exact same thing, nice. Never bothered filling out the Title, Meta tags at Voodoo, will give it a try.

Last edited:
•••
JB -

Details:
excavatorleasing.com

Jimmy

This domain is bottom of page four in australia .....it does exist in the search

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Seeing the exact same thing, nice. Never bothered filling out the Title, Meta tags at Voodoo, will give it a try.

should bodis be offering this option .....meta tags or is voodoo a different system ??

Love to know

•••

It is a little extra time and effort, but I think it is worth it. Apparently, Big G thinks so too!

•••
Where I am (in Canada) its showing up at the top of page 6
Regardless it is genuinely listed though - I wonder how much SE traffic it receives?

•••
Smurge can probably expound on the importance of Metatags, Keywords, Titles and such. I think he works on the SEO of some of his parked names.

Smurge your thoughts on this?? Didn't want to hijack your thread so please chime in!! :D

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Where I am (in Canada) its showing up at the top of page 6
Regardless it is genuinely listed though - I wonder how much SE traffic it receives?

Page 4 in Australia is bad enough, but Page 6 in Canada, that sucks Aaaay!? :D

•••
Smurge can probably expound on the importance of Metatags, Keywords, Titles and such. I think he works on the SEO of some of his parked names.

Smurge your thoughts on this?? Didn't want to hijack your thread so please chime in!! :D

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Page 4 in Australia is bad enough, but Page 6 in Canada, that sucks Aaaay!? :D

I was indicating it was a good result for a page with no unique content ...... a parking page

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back