IT.COM

Simple Parking Tips

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AdsenseGuy

Account Closed
Impact
Many of you have asked for parking tips, So here goes just a few

This works if your domain has ever had a full site attached to it previously and it was search engine indexed.

So you buy a traffic domain from a drop or you have a site with many pages but just are not making any money. Here is some tips

If you have your own hosting which most of us have in you Cpanel you have a redirect option

First things first point your domain to your favorite parking provider.

Next find out via google or wayback what pages have been indexed, example:
www.example.com/stole-ideas.htm
www.example.com/this-works.htm
ect ect ect

Take all these page names and redirect them to your domain park page, This increases your uniques as more people clicking on old search results will see your park page,

Next, Take all error pages and redirect to your park page, this is usually worth about 500 per day.

You can also save yourself alot of time and effort if you simply redirect all of your domains to one domain at your park service. Example:

You have 1 really high paying domain name in terms of click ratio to what advertisers pay. So simply redirect all your other domains to this domain at the registrar level, This way you get maximum exposure to the highest paying domain you own.

These especially work well if you use domain hop as they pay per unique. If you need to set up a domain hop account please use the link in my signature. I will post more working ideas if asked.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the tips, AG. Good advice.

What you mention about error pages is especially important. If you're parking a name and are missing the traffic that goes to www.example.com/oldpage.html , you're losing money!

Another similar item is old subdomains. You might own domains that previously had www.subdomain.example.com and if you're not capturing that traffic, you're losing out.

•••
I believe both SEDO and Fabulous redirects all 404 traffic (missing pages) to your parked index page, so you don't have to worry about that if you park your domains there.

And second, pointing other domains to a single one is not allowed by most parking programs, so that's not a very good idea and it can get you kicked from their program.
(there are ways of finding out if you've done that or not...)

Last edited:
•••
I agree with Redleg as I just read that on Sedo's parking rules...

•••
Redleg said:
I believe both SEDO and Fabulous redirects all 404 traffic (missing pages) to your parked index page, so you don't have to worry about that if you park your domains there.

And second, pointing other domains to a single one is not allowed by most parking programs, so that's not a very good idea and it can get you kicked from their program.
(there are ways of finding out if you've done that or not...)

SEDO only catches 404 traffic if you use their name servers.

If you set up your domain to point to SEDO parking via a simple URL Redirect/URL Frame then these pages will go to Sedo's 404 error page and NOT to your parked page.

For some of my traffic domains that I park, I started out using framed redirects for SEO and custom meta tags. It didn't take long to realize I was missing traffic so I switched the DNS over to SEDO's nameservers.

•••
When I stated that you could redirect any domain from your registrar account to any domain you wish, this does not cause any problems with most parking services especially the ones that pay per /1000 uniques. I own over 1000 domains and I do not have a problem and niether does my preferred parking service. I can point them all to one parked domain if I wish.

Its like saying I am not allowed to point all my 1000 domains to your one domain that you have parked. You have no control over how many domains point to your website.

As far as the error tip, it is meant for those that have their own hosting, Error views are big business and every site encounters errors to users. Profit from this. Especially those annoying link posters in your logs, just send them to your parked pages and make money off their visit.

Last edited:
•••
-RJ- said:
Thanks for the tips, AG. Good advice.

What you mention about error pages is especially important. If you're parking a name and are missing the traffic that goes to www.example.com/oldpage.html , you're losing money!

Another similar item is old subdomains. You might own domains that previously had www.subdomain.example.com and if you're not capturing that traffic, you're losing out.

Using htaccess error codes I know how to capture traffic to sub-pages but no one can tell me how to get traffic going to old sub-domains, especially if I do not know the subdomain name (i.e. want to use a wild card). Have asked at various newsgroups and my server host forum and the server tech supt for the past year. No one has the foggiest idea, do you? Thanks.

•••
Depends on the type of server, but it's generally pretty easy to add a wildcard DNS entry for a domain. You have to be the server admin or otherwise control the nameserver to do so.

There's two files to edit. First the zone file for the domain. On cpanel servers it is /var/named/example.com.db
Add:
* 14400 IN A <ip address>

Then edit the apache configuration. This is /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
Find the original entry for the domain name you're subdomaining.

Add:
ServerAlias *.example.com

Be sure to restart apache after. (service httpd restart)

RJ

•••
RealNames said:
Using htaccess error codes I know how to capture traffic to sub-pages but no one can tell me how to get traffic going to old sub-domains, especially if I do not know the subdomain name (i.e. want to use a wild card). Have asked at various newsgroups and my server host forum and the server tech supt for the past year. No one has the foggiest idea, do you? Thanks.

If your domain is regged at enom, you can enter a wildcard (*) to point to your domain. I assume other leading registrars offer this as well.

•••
If you don't have domain with hosting account, is it possible to do all those thing?

•••
shilmy said:
If you don't have domain with hosting account, is it possible to do all those thing?
Yes you can. Some registrars offer free redirect.

•••
If you host on linux with apache, a 301 redirect in the .htaccess file is probably a better method and may even keep you in the search engines. This is an SEO technique that tells the search engine spider or user that this new page replaces the old one.

Some info here:
http://www.tamingthebeast.net/articles3/spiders-301-redirect.htm
http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/301-redirect.shtml

I use this technique on parked domains for my legitimate sites so that the user always sees my main domain in the address bar, doesn't get an error page, and search engines will generally rename the URL of existing links instead of removing them. It also keeps spiders from indexing the same site under different domain names which can be penalized as search engine spamming.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back