Dynadot

Domain Parking: Tips & Tricks to Help You Earn More!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

smurge

The journey is never endingVIP Member
Impact
And so it begins!:wave:

My goal is to help people learn more about the parking industry and help them earn more money while spending less of it.

There are tons of tricks,tips,secrets that people use to make money in this business.

Let me say this, I will not discuss illegal or bad practices here so please don't ask.

What will I talk about? How to find domains,with traffic for cheap. Creating long term wealth for yourself and how to do it on a budget. I will answer questions and talk about what I know. If there is something I'm not familiar with or not knowledgeable about I will say so.

I am not here to start flaming wars with other domainers or parking gurus. Everyone has their own set of rules to making money. If you don't like mine, that's okay , but please share your ideas with everyone instead of bashing others.

Myths I want to debunk now:

#1. Parking is dead. (Far from it)

#2. You can't make money doing it. (B.S.- you can make a ton of money in it)

#3. Only the rich can do this. (This is not true!)

#4. Google doesn't like domain parking! (Yes they do, they make a ton of money off it. If they hated it so much why do they continue to support it?)

----

So what's the point of all this? It's to help people with parking.

Please feel free to email,pm, or post your questions here and I will do my best to answer them all.

Thanks!

RJ

(P.S. I'm not the best writer so I apologize for any grammar or sentence structure mistakes in advance.)

--Answers to Questions I'm frequently asked!--

#1. What parking companies do I support/like?

These are the main ones I use and have had great success with. I base my success not only on the amount of money I make but also, customer service and transparency.

In alphabetical order:

- Bodis.com (Supports Foreign Traffic)(Zero Click Model Supported)
- Domainsponsor.com (Supports Foreign Traffic) (Zero Click Model Supported)
- Parkingcrew.com (Supports Foreign Traffic)
- Voodoo.com (Highest Payouts In The Industry)

#2. What tools do you use to help you evaluate domains?

Besides my own "TOOL", which I'm not here to promote I would suggest the following;

1. Push2check.com - Great resource site (I do not affiliated with them in anyway)

If we break down the tools I generally look at the following:

Traffic Sources: (Understand that no tool is 100% accurate but together you can get a great picture.)

1. Compete.com
2. Alexa.com
3. Quantcast.com
4. Verisign Labs: http://domainscore.verisignlabs.com/ ( WARNING: This tool to be used when you have mastered other tools. The information on this site is tricky but can be useful)

History of the domain:

1. Archive.org
2. who.is

Backlinks: ( There are plenty of tools for these but here are some sites I use)

1. Majesticseo.com
2. Google Backlinks
3. Yahoo Backlinks
4. DuckDuckGo.com
5. AHrefs.com: https://ahrefs.com/site-explorer/overview/subdomains/brickbuyers.com
6. opensiteexplorer.org (Enjoy this one. It's the search engine for backlinks)

Keywords:

1. Google Keyword Tool

#3. Where can I get lists to analyze:

I have my own tools that do the work for me however here are a few places you can grab lists from to analyze:

1. Dynadot.com
2. Expireddomains.net - (good site)
3. Namejet.com
4. Snapnames.com
5. Godaddy.com
6. Freshdrop.net - (this covers a majority of the above & more)

#4. Do all your domains make money?:

NO!

I'll say it again : NO! I STILL PICK LOSERS!

In fact anyone who says they make money on every single purchase is lying. No one has a 100% success rate and you don't need to. What you need to do to win in this business is;

#1. Pick 51% winners
#2. Make sure to keep your costs low and make more then your spending.

Understand a single domain can make up the costs of lost ones. I picked a domain that makes me $15.00 a day in revenue. That means I'll make $450 a month with it and it's recouped $300 I've lost on previous domains.

Trust me, the sea of domains is massive and there are ton's of GOLDEN NUGGETS ready to be mined by all.

#5. How much do you spend on domains?:

I've spent anywhere from $.99 - $x,xxx! If I like a domain I will spend what I need, to get it as long as "I CAN STILL MAKE A PROFIT"! That's the key.

However, recently I am testing a new program which allows me to buy strictly "HANDREGS". YUP, Handregs! You would be surprised at how much stuff is just sitting on the ocean floor of domains that people think are garbage.

#6. Blacklisted Domains? Revenue Sucks! HELLLLLP!

This is something that's not addressed a lot and something everyone should be aware of: THE BLACK LIST!

This still happens to me this day. I'll buy a domain only to find out the previous owner got blacklisted from Google. This will affect your revenue greatly because Google will not allow Parking Companies to display the proper ad's on your site. If this happens you will need to go to a second feed like Yahoo! or Zeroclick model.

Common Terms for Blacklisted:

1. Faillisted
2. Blacklisted
3. Fail

Check the status of a domain when you park it and you'll see what I mean.

Edit:6/12/2012: Thank You www.ri.sch.edu.sg for this tool!

Originally Posted by www.ri.sch.edu.sg

One thing I can add to this thread is to check if the domain is blacklisted before you purchase them, simply point to:

https://api.bodis.com/domainclassification?domain=(Insert Domain Here)

Classification:

Primary = Google

Secondary = All others but Google (Faillisted,blacklisted, etc from google)

Hope that helps

#7. YUM! YUM! Domain Tasting

If you're not sure what this is it's when you buy a domain and test the traffic for a set amount of time and if your not happy with the traffic you can get a refund or partial refund of your handreg fee.

One thing I see all the time is: Domain tasting is dead! No it's not!

Yes; it might not be as prevalent as it once used to be but there are companies out there that still allow it. How do I know this? Because I do it.

#8. Can I promote or advertise my parked domains?

No, No, No, No, No, No,No, No, No, No, No, No,No, No, No, No, No, No,No, No, No, No, No, No!

If I wasn't clear let me repeat it; NO!

#9. What do all those backlinks mean from different sites?

(Thanks Martiinko for the info)

All those sites "backlink" scanners work by "downloading" the pages all over internet and then searching for URLs in it. Moving from one page to the other over these links. But...

1. There maybe a difference in last time they check this domain for backlinks.

2. There is definitely a huge difference in their databases of pages. That means if one site has smaller DB they don't probably have all the backlinks from as many pages as the other site.

3. Some backlinks are maybe updated, some maybe aren't. The process of "crawling" the web is very time consuming, so not all the backlinks can be verified every day.

To your other question. The links like you described are ok. If you park a domain all the requests go straight to the main page. But what is important is where is the link located. Is it a "spam in comments section", is it in the "blog post" or is maybe a "banner"?

So I collected couple different pages (and I'm collecting even more) for you to check if the webpage/domain was ever parked before ;) Some have form input some are just simple url + domain name.
I will make it into a simple web app, so you don't have to go to all of this pages when checking a domain name for parking history. Mostly screenshots.

Was this domain name parked before?
All of them are free. And I don't have any connection to them whatsoever.

Fun fact: This article got to 2th place in google search for Domain name parking history after 20 minutes.

*** WORDS OF WISDOM ***

1. Never spend money you can't afford to lose! Consider every domain investment a loss till you make your money back because that's what it is. No one can tell me different on this and the reason why is you are "NEGATIVE" that amount of money till it's recouped.

2. When you buy a domain to park; look to get your initial investment back within 6-12 months.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are any longtails working for you ?

This might surprise you to hear but I don't focus on keyword domains. I strictly focus on domains with quality backlinks.

The domain could be www.x734fheeeee-901.com

and if it meets the qualifications I'm searching for I will buy it.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

This is my answer to your question:

Let's say a domain has 3 backlinks and from each, it gets 3 visitors daily. By law of averages that domain would most probably get at least 1 click from those visitors - or even more clicks from one of those visitors only.

It's all a numbers game and IMO this would only work well for people like Smurge who happens to have several hundred domains and he picks those domains systematically as well. So this will not work for newly registered domains or domains with no backlinks or type-in at all.

Let's look at it from a different angle.

You buy 1 domain and it has a backlink sitting on the FAQ section of a site. That site get's 40,000,000 visitors per month.

Let's now say 40,000 people visit that FAQ section and see your link. Now let's just say that 10% click on the link and visit your site.
That means you have 4,000 visitors per month visiting your parked domain and this is all from 1 single backlink.

It's all about where the 3 backlinks are and the quality of site they sit on. That's the difference between quality backlinks (which i go after) versus bad backlinks.

I'll give you an example; I purchased a handreg and the domain get's 30 - 50 visitors a day and I get about an 88% CTR. This domain looks like this(x's-used to hide real name)

www.xxxxxxxxx-xxxx.com

The reason I bought this was a few backlinks we're sitting on great sites.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

How do you feel about Domainapps.com and Noomle.com as opposed to traditional domain parking???

How long do you usually see consistent traffic from the names with an excellent back link or back links, After all, These names may have been formally developed before drop, And the previous visitors may be expecting to see that site they used to go to, Perhaps causing a very heavy bounce rate to the names with back links????

I personally have not used them so I can't give you an opinion about it.

Regarding longevity, what we found is that people coming to the site are looking for those products. As long as you continue to show the proper ad's matching their needs, you will continue to get traffic and revenue.

Is there a drop off rate/ Sure, but I could not tell you the specific percentage. What I can tell you is I have domains, and I know others, who have traffic still to this day from backlinks, which we're purchased 5+ years ago.

•••
This might surprise you to hear but I don't focus on keyword domains. I strictly focus on domains with quality backlinks.

The domain could be www.x734fheeeee-901.com

and if it meets the qualifications I'm searching for I will buy it.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Let's look at it from a different angle.

You buy 1 domain and it has a backlink sitting on the FAQ section of a site. That site get's 40,000,000 visitors per month.

Let's now say 40,000 people visit that FAQ section and see your link. Now let's just say that 10% click on the link and visit your site.
That means you have 4,000 visitors per month visiting your parked domain and this is all from 1 single backlink.

It's all about where the 3 backlinks are and the quality of site they sit on. That's the difference between quality backlinks (which i go after) versus bad backlinks.

I'll give you an example; I purchased a handreg and the domain get's 30 - 50 visitors a day and I get about an 88% CTR. This domain looks like this(x's-used to hide real name)

www.xxxxxxxxx-xxxx.com

The reason I bought this was a few backlinks we're sitting on great sites.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

I personally have not used them so I can't give you an opinion about it.

Regarding longevity, what we found is that people coming to the site are looking for those products. As long as you continue to show the proper ad's matching their needs, you will continue to get traffic and revenue.

Is there a drop off rate/ Sure, but I could not tell you the specific percentage. What I can tell you is I have domains, and I know others, who have traffic still to this day from backlinks, which we're purchased 5+ years ago.

If you are getting a nice count of traffic, You might consider throwing a couple of names on one of those sites. The multiple revenue streams could bring you more money, Getting indexed by search engines is a great perk to them as well.

What would you say your average cost per domain you pick up is??? I know some full time domainers that pay a good bit for traffic names.

•••
I spent a few hours last night looking for expired domain. So many sites with useless back links, how do you guys isolated the best right ones without consuming so much time?

•••
I spent a few hours last night looking for expired domain. So many sites with useless back links, how do you guys isolated the best right ones without consuming so much time?

good question, perhaps the rewards is the time taken to sort the wheat from the chaff ??

•••
What does DuckDuckGo.com show you exactly? Is it showing you the backlinks related to your domain search, or is it simply parsing the keywords and doing a search for those keywords?

•••
@smurge

how do you get your quality backlinks or how do you know if a domain has a quality backlinks

Thanks for your help

•••
hi smurge thanks for a great share, btw how many minimum domain in portfolio to be success in this business? And how much the profit estimated we can get from those?
Thanks

•••
good question, perhaps the rewards is the time taken to sort the wheat from the chaff ??

I found a domain this morning for $8.50.

Stats for it:

Referring Domains

External Backlinks

Educational Ref. Backlinks: 40

Governmental Ref. Backlinks: 2

Educational Ref. Domains: 9

Governmental Ref. Domains: 2

Indexed URLs: 2,267

Alexa Stats; 297 links

Keyword associated with it: Insurance!

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

hi smurge thanks for a great share, btw how many minimum domain in portfolio to be success in this business? And how much the profit estimated we can get from those?
Thanks

1 (one) domain can make you successful. 1 (one) domain can change your life.

Regarding how much profit depends on several factors. Amount of traffic domain has, keyword associated with domain, click through rate, is it on a 1-click or 2-click lander.

I bought a domain for $5.18 and made about $1,400 of it.

Reverse example:

I bought a domain for $300.00 and made $80.00 so far off it.

It just depends on several factors.

Last edited:
•••
Thats open my mind smurge,
hey i just get a domain which I think is good.

Referring Domains 234
2.910 External Backlinks
Educational Ref. Backlinks: 37
Governmental Ref. Backlinks: 3
Educational Ref. Domains: 8
alexa 625 links

what do you think? and what should I do? let domain stay undeveloped or parking it right now?

•••
Of course park it right now and see the results!

•••
I found a domain this morning for $8.50.

Sounds like another treasure you may have found :) - would love to know how it performs from day one :)

Thanks for sharing, you're a gr8 team player. Hope you'll become the Warren Buffet of domaining 1 day :)

•••
@smurge how many hours in a day do you spend looking for domains?

•••

Referring Domains 234
2.910 External Backlinks
alexa 625 links

what do you think? and what should I do? let domain stay undeveloped or parking it right now?

It looks good but you need to make sure that some of those links are good. Make sure that the domains arent buried in some link sharing page or in some hard place to find.

I like government backlinks as long as they are on easy to reach places. Do a search on GOOGLE for that domain and see what links pop up.

•••
•••
Wow, very informative post! I have taken a few steps to help me along the way (MajesticSEO subscription), but my real question is, what is your opinion on Google deindexed sites? For example, I have found one inparticular with 4m+ backlinks, but is deindexed on big G.

Either way, thanks alot for the post, I will put it to good use!

•••

Referring Domains 234
2.910 External Backlinks
alexa 625 links

Which site did you use to get your stats?

Thanks!

•••
I used majestic seo for that domain.

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2

•••
yes, to see the stat use majestic seo and alexa. And to check the source of backlink i use backlinkwatch

•••
Subscribing :)
There definitely is a TON of money in the domain parking business still left for all of us to share! :tu:

•••
4m+ backlinks

If my domain had 4m+ backlinks and my name was "Ungodly" I would have changed it to Godly without a doubt :)

•••
Nice thread.

I just wonder how do dynadot get the monthly traffic estimate? And how "accurate" it is. There are some domains with 50K/month visitors dropping.

•••
Nice thread.

I just wonder how do dynadot get the monthly traffic estimate? And how "accurate" it is. There are some domains with 50K/month visitors dropping.

What's funny is no one really tells you how they determine their traffic stats. They just say "it;s accurate".

I will say, all places that claim traffic results are legit , lie. lol

I've bought domains that claimed to have 10,000 visitors on Godaddy and then parked it. Next thing I know, 20 visitors for the month.

On the flip side, I bought a domain that said it had 100 monthly visitors and it turned out to have 200 visitors a day coming to it.

The bottom line is you need to take information from several sources to make a determination if the traffic is legit or not.

•••
•••
•••
Verisign labs is not accurate at all! Be very careful with this tool.

This is just my advice but do as you will.

Never Mind. I found my own answer :D.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back