IT.COM

Domain name transfer to GoDaddy

NameSilo
Watch

justaflier

Established Member
Impact
I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, but i haven't transferred domains befoer and this is the my first so-called sale.

The domain transfer is from eNom to GoDaddy.

After i sent the buyer EPP code, he initiated the transfer from GoDaddy and GoDaddy sent me:
"Domain name transfer – Initial Authorization for Registrar Transfer" (pictured).

It has Transaction ID and Security Code which i gave to the buyer, right? I can't use these codes myself anywhere because i don't have GoDaddy account and clicking on the "approve the transfer" link just gives me unexpected error. It's meant for the buyer i'm sure. But why would GoDaddy send this letter to me and saying i need to authorize it???

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    69.4 KB · Views: 39
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Both of those emails are for the buyer. They came to you because you have the registered ADMIN email address in the whois. just forward them to the buyer

•••
Yes, thanks. It's been over 5 days now, and the domain still hasn't moved over from eNom to GoDaddy. I even expedited the process by clicking some approval link i got from my registrar.

Usually expedited transfers should happen within 20 minutes to 1 day.

Is there anything the buyer has to check or click in the GoDaddy menu to confirm the transfer?

•••
I don't use GoDaddy so I have not been on the receiving end of a domain transfer so I am not sure about if the buyer has to "accept" the transfer or not. With one of my registrars, I would have to accept. Either way, as long as you approved the transfer and not cancelled, it will move over at the end of the 5 day period. Never had one go 7 days.

•••
Yeah that's weird. Once yo
I am not sure about if the buyer has to "accept" the transfer or not

No they don't.

Once OP expedited the transfer, it should've been at GoDaddy almost immediately.

I'm curious what has happened here.

•••
Buyer only needs to update WHOIS-records at GoDaddy.
Confirmations are unnecessary.

•••
I even expedited the process by clicking some approval link i got from my registrar.

Usually expedited transfers should happen within 20 minutes to 1 day.
You just approved it... it doesn't mean "immediate release" for eNom.

•••
GoDaddy's logistics are really atrocious at times .. very unclear / open-ended / unexact .. ridiculously so considering the number of transfers that go to/from them .. I had a transfer not too long ago and also got an email that was clearly for the other party in the transaction .. really confused me. However I'm not new to GoDaddy and know how inexcusably sloppy everything is over there so I knew to dig a little deeper for the real info.

In the future I suggest doing a domain push (have your buyer create his/her own account at the registry in question then let them transfer on their own afterwards if needed).

Your best is to give them a call. As much as the website/email logistics and infrastructure is a mess, they do have good live support most of the time. On the rare occasion you get someone on the line that appears confused and uncertain of what you're asking then end the conversation and call back a bit later.

good luck with it! ;)

•••
Your best is to give them a call.
Calling them will not work in the case. The buyer who has the account there is the only one they will talk with. They want a "call-in pin" and the seller with enom will not have that information. Found that out when I tried to help one of my customers who use GoDaddy.

•••
Calling them will not work in the case. The buyer ...

Ooops .. I didn't mean to actually call them to finish the transfer .. I meant simply to call them to get some clarification from the confusing email! ;)

•••
You just approved it... it doesn't mean "immediate release" for eNom.

Ah ok. There is no fast transfer out of eNom, then?

I think there is for NameCheap (an eNom reseller) but if eNom itself won't fast transfer then that would probably explain the delay in OP's transfer.

•••
Fast transfer-out at eNom was provided before...
As I know, they disabled it.

•••
Regarding NameCheap...
You may instantly release the domain via LiveChat...

•••
I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, but i haven't transferred domains befoer and this is the my first so-called sale.

The domain transfer is from eNom to GoDaddy.

After i sent the buyer EPP code, he initiated the transfer from GoDaddy and GoDaddy sent me:
"Domain name transfer – Initial Authorization for Registrar Transfer" (pictured).

It has Transaction ID and Security Code which i gave to the buyer, right? I can't use these codes myself anywhere because i don't have GoDaddy account and clicking on the "approve the transfer" link just gives me unexpected error. It's meant for the buyer i'm sure. But why would GoDaddy send this letter to me and saying i need to authorize it???

First, Congrats on your First Domain Sale!

Second, Now there is a little work to do. Domain transfers (to other Registrars) as opposed to internal Registrar account pushes kinda suck. Sometimes they take time and patience. It is always a learning/teaching lesson when transferring out of one registrar to another. I have transferred hundreds of domains into GD and I have to say you're lucky because GD is 90% of the time, one of the easier Registrars to transfer in to.

You are the seller and the buyer wants the name in his/her GD account.
Buyer pays you and then orders a transfer at GD.
GD sends an email to the domain owners admin's email based on whois, (your email)
In that email there are (2) sets of numbers,
A Transaction ID# and a Security Code#
You give those (2) sets of numbers to buyer.
You also give buyer the auth code.
Buyer goes into his transfer section of GD and enters Transaction ID# and Security Code# on same page, then immediately enters the auth code on next page and transfer process has begun.

Now comes the weird part. Most of the time it is almost immediate and domain will enter the GD account within an hour or 2 or 3. Sometimes it takes a few days. I am in the middle of a transaction right now. I am the buyer of multiple names from the same seller, same registrar. I ordered all transfers at GD same exact time. One transaction. Most of names have cleared into my account almost immediately. One is still pending. It is stating "Processing transfer" This is day 3 already. Unfortunately this happens sometimes.

I think I have seen it take up to 5 days before. It really sucks for the seller because they are waiting on funds from escrow to be released to them. It could have been an improper auth code possibly that wasn't copied and pasted and was manually entered. Not sure. Have to double check those codes sometimes and always copy and paste rather than enter them manually.

You are not the first to have an issue with a transfer and definitely won't be the last! I will probably be on here asking a similar question about another Registrars transfer process tomorrow...lol

Thanks,
Vito

•••
next time push to their registrar and get paid immediately.
the new buyer can wait the five days registrars take to transfer domains.

•••
If the auth/EPP code was written or pasted incorrectly, will it even allow to proceed with the transfer? Wouldn't GD say incorrect code or something?

•••
If that was the case you never would have gotten the email to expedite the process.

•••
Well it's May 1 and the transfer still hasn't gone through. I read that the process can take up to 14 days maximum?

Though it's interesting what is delaying it. I'm sure it's an automated process, and no human input is involved here. Though prove me wrong.

•••
Never heard of the 14 days, usually 5 to 7 days is normal. I just transferred out 2 that went 5 full days.

•••
So 10 hours ago i got this e-mail from GD. I confirmed my e-mail but nothing still has happened. The domain is still under my registrar. I hope it means it's moving at least.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    57.7 KB · Views: 35
•••
I don't think that e-mail is related to the transfer.. When someone transfers to GoDaddy, it doesn't send you an e-mail verification e-mail.

•••
I don't think that e-mail is related to the transfer.. When someone transfers to GoDaddy, it doesn't send you an e-mail verification e-mail.
I'm sure it's related to the transfer, because on top of the mail it says the name of my domain admin contact name (which isn't my real name).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back