Dynadot

GoDaddy 30 day transfer window - Does TransferVerify affect?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ja Kai

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
@Joe Styler @Paul Nicks - can you please answer this scenario?

1) Domain expires at Godaddy
2) On day 29 (post expiration), domain transfer is initiated to another registrar.
3) On same day (Day 29), I authorize transfer to that other registrar (in my Godaddy account).
4) Domain doesn't transfer - happens to be a domain subject to "TransferVerify" - which means a 5-day delay.
5) I contact "transferverify" to expedite transfer, but don't hear back from them and don't see transfer take place.
6) Will domain still complete transfer on day 34 - since it was initiated and AUTHORIZED on day 29?
7) Or, does the transfer process freeze at day 30,31?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's a flawed scenario to begin with and an edge case even at that. Most transfers will complete without issue even if you push the limits of expiration right to the edge.
But really you should not wait until day 30 is hours away to try and transfer a domain away. There's a myriad of other reasons that would be more likely to impact this besides the transfer verify. They are all rare, but for instance while still rare, much more likely is you don't get the timing correct and you try and transfer a domain and it's not ready to go before day 30 hits for various reasons. There are mandated steps the registrars must do to transfer a domain. The names need to unlock, update statuses and communicate between the registry and other registrar for different parts of the transfer process. If any one of those is busy or has a hiccup, i.e. Verisign is updating their servers, or the other registrar is running a promotion and being hit hard with new transfer requests, your transfer might not process fully for hours and then with the Internet being Global those few hours may be the difference between day 29 or day 30 through no fault of ours. All this to say waiting to the last minute is not advised and there are many things that could potentially impact your transfer away.
With the transfer verify emails there is a very small percentage of names that get selected. So almost anyone doing a transfer doesn't have to factor this in. In the rare case you do get your name selected you can email them to respond and again in the vast majority of cases they respond in less than 24 hours. So now we are at an edge case of an edge case, and if you find yourself at this point, yes the transfer should still go through. You can contact regular support if you do not get a quick answer and they can reach out to the right team who does these verification if you are worried that it is close to the last day.
We have seen domains with this scenario move without issue post day 30. However, if it is past day 30 by the time we hear back from the other registrar or another non transfer verify issue on a domain that was part of the transfer verify selection then you may not be able to transfer but it would not be due to the transfer verify status. As I said not having a name transfer last minute is rare altogether, but there are some scenarios that do come up where a name cannot move that are outside our control which is why it is best to not try this in the first place if a name is important to you. For anyone trying this and failing I would ask why didnt you renew or transfer it away before expiration or during any of the 29 days post expiration if the domain is important to you?

•••
Back