Dynadot

new gtlds Domain Name News That Will Spook You!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

eenmakkie

Established Member
Impact
Imagine registering a new domain, at he moment you registered the new domain, it was not a premium top level domain. So you pay a fair price for it.
You think it is yours and every year you have to pay the same renewal price.

That is what I did by godaddy.com
I bought a new TLD domain when they came on the market.

started offering it for sale.

Now when the next renewal is coming close, I went to my godaddy.com account and suddenly they wanted 499.99$ to renew the domain for a year. A huge multiple increase compare to the price I paid to register the name.
I called help desk and they told that the domain has become top level domain name as they have seen the value of it.

what?!!!!!

So you buy a domain, spent a lot of money and work on the website, make a business around it, it becomes big on the market, you start to earn millions and suddenly the registrars can ask you what ever they want to renew your domain as they have seen the value of your domain now?

And if you do not pay the extravagant renewal price they ask, it becomes there's? So then they can sell your hard work?

Is this legal?

So what google.com or facebook.com they bought there domains for 1000 years upfront to avoid that the registrar can ask them a couple of billions to renew their domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They didn't say they can't they just said it's not part of their business model.
Show me where it says they "can't" change it, and I'll concede.
I don't need you to concede, you have shown anyone with half a brain that you are splitting hairs and clueless. They said it has not ever happened and you say it has, 25 times + this one.. of course you have no evidence and don't even know the domain in question you just know its true LOL

•••
How scientific! Any reasonable person who did that would of course assume the world is ending and all gTLD domains are going up in price by several orders of magnitude!!! I mean, I would just check another registry and see if I could transfer out at the normal price but hey I'm not a reasonable person, just one who is capable of thinking before jumping to conclusions.

Oh Michael Berkins.. please post the list of the 25 domains that he was price gouged on and also the original price and the price it was raised to so we can follow up with the registries who you were kind enough to get engaged with us on these forums.

Everything you post is anecdotal, 3rd party i heard this from this person, then literally rightside comes in (they run the backend for .villas!!!) and says it never has and never will happen and you straight up ignore it and continue on, and then say MY head is in the sand. LOL

well it happened to me! and of-course I did what you would have done, try every registrar I have an account with to see if they have not spotted that it was a premium domain now. I found luck by my 101domain account. the whole story can be found in the anwer to Godaddy here.

And the link to the blog by Michael Berkins gave me a lot.

•••
well it happened to me! and of-course I did what you would have done, try every registrar I have an account with to see if they have not spotted that it was a premium domain now. I found luck by my 101domain account. the whole story can be found in the anwer to Godaddy here.

And the link to the blog by Michael Berkins gave me a lot.

Actually it didn't happen to you, the registry didn't raise anything you used a shady registrar (never used godaddy myself so I feel bad for you) and they locked it and price gouged you, you shouldn't be upset with anyone but them.

•••
Many thanks to Joe Styler and Andee Hill for getting involved and helping clear this up.

The OP is a new member here and appears reluctant to name the domain. Possible verisign agent here to bad mouth ngtld's?
nope! just a domain investor, and about 98% of my domains investment are in the newTLD's.
The time I spent to buy all those domains is incredible.
I had a certain system that worked, but I had to invest tons of dollars upfront to get them.

Reason why I still have not posted the name can be found in my answer to Joe Styler.

•••
A perfect example of cutting the branch on which you are sitting :-,

•••
Firstly lets ask @Joe Styler, what's the official take on this.

Secondly, why don't you just transfer out to NameSilo, their prices are at $37.99 for .villas.
thanks for the recommendation, I will look at them for my other renewals.

•••
Actually it didn't happen to you, the registry didn't raise anything you used a shady registrar (never used godaddy myself so I feel bad for you) and they locked it and price gouged you, you shouldn't be upset with anyone but them.

well I don't know who did tried it. All I want to know from the registries and the registrars if this CAN happen again. And maybe more closer to expiration so I am fully with my back against the wall and can only pay or give up the domain and take the loss.
As said, I have a lot of the newTLD domains, and given up some as Michael is not that a problem, the problem is when you start advertising and placing work in a domain to sell it or even ad a website behind it to get a better price. Giving up then a domain due to a large price increase will hurt a lot. It is never to late to learn the rules and the law, as I did not by posting this. People at support just tell you want then want or think they know. But it seems that there was a lot of trued in what that guy told me, other that it is not the same with the .com's (I am not working for verysign, even did not knew they where the registry for .com and only own a handfull of .coms) Was even thinking of ditching a couple in favour of the newTLD's.

I guess now the way around this is placing the website in a .com and then using the newTLD as a masking forward over the URL , so when it comes to the point the registry massif increases the renewal rates, just delete the forward and finished. Maybe there are even tricks to not loose the links building over the years.

•••
I'm pretty sure the rule is if there is a price change the registry has to notify the registrars but not necessarily the general public. If one registrar isn't being straighforward with you though just call them and ask them personally to unlock the domain and see what happens.

•••
Ok, what is the damn domain, seriously both godaddy, and donuts are trying to help you.

You keep talking nonsense, maybe an error occurred, but they are trying to help, and maybe it is a glitch that can help others.

If you don't want to accept it, mods need to close, and delete this thread.

One statement concerns me where you said you recently changed accounts, and domain cannot be transferred out?

•••
I concur. It's potentially possible that Godaddy billed it incorrectly originally and it should always have been premium. However unless you name the domain name we can't check this.

Please tell us the domain name once and for all.

•••
I'm pretty sure the rule is if there is a price change the registry has to notify the registrars but not necessarily the general public. If one registrar isn't being straighforward with you though just call them and ask them personally to unlock the domain and see what happens.

I have many newTLD domains by many registrars, never I received a notification that the price is going up by one of them. Most cases it is just 20 30$, no big deal to make fuzz about it.
I just move each year where it is the cheapest and the work to change each domain is justified.

I have now understood that the 6 month rule is in the contract, now it is time of the registrars to come forward and write that they will inform there clients upfront about the upcoming price increase. As marketing an business it won't be that bad as maybe the registrar will renew for 10 years in one go by the registrar.

hey wait? that is maybe the next thing coming up on us.
one year at 69.99$ minus a discount /per year for 10 years or 499.99$ for renewal of 1 year. what is your choice ?

•••
I have many newTLD domains by many registrars, never I received a notification that the price is going up by one of them. Most cases it is just 20 30$, no big deal to make fuzz about it.
I just move each year where it is the cheapest and the work to change each domain is justified.

I have now understood that the 6 month rule is in the contract, now it is time of the registrars to come forward and write that they will inform there clients upfront about the upcoming price increase. As marketing an business it won't be that bad as maybe the registrar will renew for 10 years in one go by the registrar.

hey wait? that is maybe the next thing coming up on us.
one year at 69.99$ minus a discount /per year for 10 years or 499.99$ for renewal of 1 year. what is your choice ?
Listen you just joined a few days ago, you are not making sense, you have 2 people from each company willing to help you, if it is the wrong price, they are the only people that can fix it.

No matter how many posts you type it will not get fixed, so you need to really focus, and get them the domain, so they can check it, even better post it out here, and if it is so good, maybe someone will make you an offer to buy it, and you can be done with it.

You are making no sense, you are lacking credibility, and borderline slander at this point, so just stick to the real facts.

•••
Listen you just joined a few days ago, you are not making sense, you have 2 people from each company willing to help you, if it is the wrong price, they are the only people that can fix it.

No matter how many posts you type it will not get fixed, so you need to really focus, and get them the domain, so they can check it, even better post it out here, and if it is so good, maybe someone will make you an offer to buy it, and you can be done with it.

You are making no sense, you are lacking credibility, and borderline slander at this point, so just stick to the real facts.

I have no problem posting the print screen if godaddy tells that is ok by law to post printscreens of there website.

I am checking my domains and the renewal for :
.pink 90.99$ for 1 year now , I paid 16.99$ by 101domain, renewed it by Godaddy for 10.50$ in 2015, renewed again for 11.99$ by Godaddy in 2016
.red 90.99$ for 1 year now , I paid 19.99$ by 101domain, renewed it by Godaddy for 10.50$ in 2015, renewed again for 11.99$ by Godaddy in 2016
.blue 90.99$ for 1 year now, I paid 13.59$ by 101domain, renewed it by Godaddy for 10.50$ in 2015, renewed again for 11.99$ by Godaddy in 2016

I have still a lot of time to renew those or transfer as it is coming up next year, but that would be the price if I decide to renew them today. Took again a print screen.

They where not premium domains, if not I could not buy or renew them for years at the low prices.

Only difference is I have them for sale now at sedo.

•••
Word, thanks for reminding me to continue never to use godaddy.

Need to make sure its ok by law to post a printscreen ROFL thats a good one...

Also, there are many other ways people post their domains without them being searchable, I'm sure you have seen d/o/m/a/i/n/.com or the same thing but with the slashes colored white so it is more legible.

I'd check for you if your afilias domains are classified as premium but I can't do that without the SLD so like others have said you keep posting but you aren't saying much.

•••
Ok, what is the damn domain, seriously both godaddy, and donuts are trying to help you.

You keep talking nonsense, maybe an error occurred, but they are trying to help, and maybe it is a glitch that can help others.

If you don't want to accept it, mods need to close, and delete this thread.

One statement concerns me where you said you recently changed accounts, and domain cannot be transferred out?

1. I first taught also it was an error, so called helpdesk and ask many times to find it out. The guy told it was no error and that was the price if I wanted to renew it. And took the print screen.
2. I have 2 account at Godaddy, one on personal name and other on business. On one account I have the discount club membership, so moved it first from one to the other to renew it later. That is the reason I could not transfer it out after. (did not knew that at that point)

helping is not nesasary anymore, as the trying to transfer did cleared it for that domain. (written it already here) And those other 3 domains (just written) going from the teens to 90$ are still way in the future to find out what to do with them. Also 90$ is still not the end of the world. But a substantial % increase.

But what everybody wants to know is:
1. The problem lays in the law or rules: can the registry increase on individual level the renewals?
2. And if they do, will the registrar let us registrants know upfront so we have the 6 months time to decide what to do.

It is not my idea to get personal help by writing what happened with this thread. The idea is to clear things out. And know where one stand. Spoken words go with the wind, so one can say whatever they want on the phone.
But I want to read it as well. I believe you posted the link, so thanks. Michael case explains that it is possible.

If they registries can't increase, then the next time it occurs, I or anyone can say that to the helpdesk.
And if they can, then it is good to know upfront to base the business around it. And choose the registrars that informs there clients about the upcoming price hike 6 months upfront.
I don't want to find it out just before expiration.
And I have the idea that the general price for an extension is something that is changed over time according to demand and offer. What means that one should check the renewal prices regular for all there newTLD domains. But who will do that months in advance ? Do you?
I have no time for that.

Link, I will not have the link to the domain in this post, so a future client will get spooked by the possibility of a huge renal price. But I can post the printscreen if by law that is possible and Godaddy find it ok to.
My idea was also not to offer the domain here or make advertising for it. My point is clear and explained before what I want to know.

The article you posted from Michael Berkens gives me the idea that the first support guy just told me what he was seeing and found out. At his screen the renewal price was 499.99$ and that the registries could do that seems to be true also. By luck I could find one registrar that had the old price or ... no idea, how those systems work, but the transfer intend did changed it also by godaddy as they could offer me the same price after as the transfer registrar. I don't believe the support guys have that much control over prices to lower it in an instant. The transfer intent must have reset something.
For sure it all are automatic systems that work with algorithms and crawling information on the net and the actions you take. Have you ever tried to cancel a domain by 1and1? Just before the last confirm to cancel a domain button they come up with an unbeatable high discount to keep you. A discount that must be together with the registry because if not they would sell at a loss.

And going from normal domain to premium domain, for sure it is also done by algorithms.
4 easy ones I can think about is :
- the sale price you are asking
- and the sale price for domains with the same words.
- domain traffic
- Alexia ranking
(these are just my assumptions, I am no insider so can't proof it, but as most of the things these days, it is done automatic)
The first 2 points I have, so they probably triggered it.

•••
Word, thanks for reminding me to continue never to use godaddy.

Need to make sure its ok by law to post a printscreen ROFL thats a good one...

Also, there are many other ways people post their domains without them being searchable, I'm sure you have seen d/o/m/a/i/n/.com or the same thing but with the slashes coloured white so it is more legible.

I'd check for you if your afilias domains are classified as premium but I can't do that without the SLD so like others have said you keep posting but you aren't saying much.

1) it is in the interest of the registry to scan the market and to value there domain names. maybe it is still not common to do it, but for sure they will have that info in case a domain doesn't get renewed and they get it back. To ask a premium price after.
I don't think the registrars do that. They just play with the price and discounts what is there system of getting clients. The support guy must have told me what he has seen, and the explanation go with the article of Michael Berkens.

2) do you know the copywright laws? if you take a picture of something, the right are still to the owner of the object or person you took it of. Once they give you the permission, it can be come your right.
I see already some throwing with the words slander etc. All what I say that happened, can be verified. But I will not take it further as that. If I have the permission, I will post it.

3) google is to clever these days. last time I tried to make a sentence that is used all over the internet unique, by changing words to synonyms and order of the words or with extra letters between etc.
It kept on showing up. you can't fool the Google crawler anymore.

4) If you read the whole story, from beginning, you will notice I have changed my idea. I did read all comments and rules and the full blog of Michael Berkens and am more and more convinced that at the moment I say the 499,99$ it was the truth and the support guy that spooked me was telling the truth.
Maybe the .com was to much, but about the new TLDs yes.
I have not read one comment, or denial from the registries that they have NOT the right to increase the renewals on per domain level. if they have the right to do it, it will not confirm it is a common practice of doing business, if not nobody will be surprises about reading this threat.
But if one has a right, one day one will use that right.

That right the registries have, that is the most important of this threat. Do they have it or not?
A black on white proof of one or the other is nesasary.
I prefer to be one of the first to know it as being the last stuck with a lot of domains nobody wants anymore.
Or the registries do not have that right build in there terms and it was just a program glitch I see now twice on 4 domains and the support guy just told me something under the idea "spoken words go with the wind"
but what about the blog of Michael Berkens? Those are written words. As mine here.

•••
I trust you gave the information that Donuts and/or Go Daddy requested, eenmakie? Since the weekends are here, either of them might respond by Monday.

•••
I have no problem posting the print screen if godaddy tells that is ok by law to post printscreens of there website.

Laws against posting a screen shot? For real!? Of course you can legally post it. Customer support chats get posted online all the time.

At this point I suggest you do one of two things, put up, or shut up. You're quickly losing any credibility you may have had. Produce the evidence or lock this thread up.

•••
I was off this weekend and just getting back into the office. It seems this has turned into a very long thread so I hope I answer all the questions in here. It was a few pages of reading so if I forgot something just ask.

- The name of the domain would help because then I can track everything back from that name and see if there is some kind of error. Also I would be able to follow up with the agent you spoke with about this. If you are seeing the price as $499 and the agent confirmed this and said other names are also premiums then I would think there is an error somewhere on our side. Andee at Donuts has said to me that they have not raised prices on these names and that means that potentially something broke or was mis-communicated etc. I'd like to get to the bottom of it so we can make sure everyone else has a better experience.

-If the registry raised the price then transferring to another registrar would mean you would need to pay the new higher registration fee there as well (unless they wanted to take a loss on the sale). This also seems to point to some kind of pricing error on our side.
  • Which let me pre-empt the questions that will come. We do audit sales. We have proactively refunded the difference of pricing errors in the past. So I assume this would have been caught and refunded as well. Not ideal by any means but I would like to point out if there was/is an error we wouldn't use it to keep extra money from customers. These are pretty rare.
-Any registry can raise prices on the domains they sell. .com has done this almost every year. Yes it's a smaller percent but it is still a price raise. If there is a major price change on your domains Godaddy is normally very proactive at helping customers. We have award winning customer service and strive to create the best experience for our customers and help their small businesses to succeed so informing customers of big price changes would be in keeping with this focus.

-I have not seen any new tld significantly raise pricing on domains that a customer holds already with the exception of that article by Mr. Berkens. http://www.thedomains.com/2015/09/2...-in-the-new-gtld-space-goes-to-mind-machines/ but that price he said was communicated to the registrar and there was an error which resulted in them paying the price increase for him. This is a different registry than the one in question here which is Donuts. Also there are some good comments by people like George Kirkos that point out links to the actual agreements the registries have with ICANN.

Bottom line, if GoDaddy has made an error, again, I apologize. I'd be happy to look into it for you further and buy you a drink when I am in Amsterdam/Hague in May :)

I think that this thread shows the importance of choosing the companies you do business with wisely. If we made an error we will do what we can to make it right.

If you are buying domains from Donuts, I believe they have worked hard to build the domains on their registry into viable options when building a business which is important when choosing a name to invest in. Things like name.kitchen and their television ads etc that show real businesses using the names are important things to look at when investing. They are not the only registry doing a good job so do your homework when you invest like you would with any other investment. You can invest in com, net, or horse if you have a decent plan and have done your homework :)

•••
@Joe Styler

thanks for your reply. And apologies.

Some questions where still open.

1. Everybody is asking for the proof. I asked you before if I can post the screenshot here. Yes multiple as other domains went from the teens to 90$. Everything I wrote down here, is as it happened. If you prefer I send the screenshot to you via private message, just let me know and sent me your email address please. I am still a client of you with a lot of domains and not looking for a fight or whatever other thing. I just want to know what are the rules to prepare myself for the future and get on.
  2. I thought first it was an error and asked many times to the helpdesk (FIRST person I spoke to on that day) to check thoroughly what happened. It took some time for him to find out, but he confirmed that was the new price and no error happened. I have no time to waste and write on chats about every domain I own because I prefer to know the rules and go on with my business and life. And I now even believe he was speaking the truth. Michael Berkens blog gives me that idea.
  3. thanks @Andee Hill for your comment: "This is not a normal practice of ours"
    • Does it mean that Donut as registry can increase the renewal for a individual domain substantially by its terms&conditions?
    • if so, Is this for all Donut's extensions or some of them?
    • if you have the right to do that, but as respected registry it is not your normal practice. In what case then Donut will and what security you give the others it won't happen to them?
    • if a domain is for sale, and keywords are going up or are also offered for sale at high prices. does this has an influential impact on Donut algorithms to re-value a domain?
    • Or is this revaluation only done to value a domain in case it is not renewed and gets back on the market. (so advice never forget a renewal)
4.Regarding the comment of George Kirkos: If a registry increases the renewal rates of a particular domain, and passes that info to Godaddy as registrar, does Godaddy informs the registrant about the upcoming renewal price increase ? So at least we can take the right of the renewing at the old price before the 6 months expire?

5.why do I not see the option to renew for 10 years by Godaddy as many speak here about?

thanks in advance for the answers

•••
thanks @LucidDomains for the good tip about namesilo, do you have any discount codes for them?

•••
thanks @LucidDomains for the good tip about namesilo, do you have any discount codes for them?

They don't have discount codes, you might find one for a dollar off somewhere. Their prices are always low so you can't argue with that.

•••
They don't have discount codes, you might find one for a dollar off somewhere. Their prices are always low so you can't argue with that.
yes seen it, good prices, thanks for the tip. I made an account already.

•••
@Joe Styler

thanks for your reply. And apologies.

Some questions where still open.

1. Everybody is asking for the proof. I asked you before if I can post the screenshot here. Yes multiple as other domains went from the teens to 90$. Everything I wrote down here, is as it happened. If you prefer I send the screenshot to you via private message, just let me know and sent me your email address please. I am still a client of you with a lot of domains and not looking for a fight or whatever other thing. I just want to know what are the rules to prepare myself for the future and get on.
    • I understand you just want to know what is going on and what is the correct information. I am ok with you sending it to me jstyler at godaddy dot com
  2. I thought first it was an error and asked many times to the helpdesk (FIRST person I spoke to on that day) to check thoroughly what happened. It took some time for him to find out, but he confirmed that was the new price and no error happened. I have no time to waste and write on chats about every domain I own because I prefer to know the rules and go on with my business and life. And I now even believe he was speaking the truth. Michael Berkens blog gives me that idea.
    • The difference here is that the registry, Donuts, is saying they did not raise the prices. So there was never a price change which means there probably was an error. Once I have the domain name I can try and get to the bottom of what happened. It is hard to say why you got the information you did when you called in without that.
  3. thanks @Andee Hill for your comment: "This is not a normal practice of ours"
    • Does it mean that Donut as registry can increase the renewal for a individual domain substantially by its terms&conditions?
    • if so, Is this for all Donut's extensions or some of them?
    • if you have the right to do that, but as respected registry it is not your normal practice. In what case then Donut will and what security you give the others it won't happen to them?
    • if a domain is for sale, and keywords are going up or are also offered for sale at high prices. does this has an influential impact on Donut algorithms to re-value a domain?
    • Or is this revaluation only done to value a domain in case it is not renewed and gets back on the market. (so advice never forget a renewal)
4.Regarding the comment of George Kirkos: If a registry increases the renewal rates of a particular domain, and passes that info to Godaddy as registrar, does Godaddy informs the registrant about the upcoming renewal price increase ? So at least we can take the right of the renewing at the old price before the 6 months expire?
  • I think I tried answering this already by saying we strive for the best customer service in the industry and that not telling someone about a large price increase in advance would not be great service.

5.why do I not see the option to renew for 10 years by Godaddy as many speak here about?
  • Not sure why you don't see it, we allow all names to be registered as long as the registry allows us to in advance. So you should be able to renew them for ten years. There is a drop down in the cart that should allow you to change the length of registration next to the name. If you don't see it for some reason, you can renew it a couple times in a row.

thanks in advance for the answers

I answered the questions addressed to me in line above.

•••
Laws against posting a screen shot? For real!? Of course you can legally post it. Customer support chats get posted online all the time.

At this point I suggest you do one of two things, put up, or shut up. You're quickly losing any credibility you may have had. Produce the evidence or lock this thread up.

thanks, asked a lawyer to look it up: clause 6 of GoDaddy Legal Agreements and Policies; "User Content"
what means yes, we have that right. Proof in next, did not get an answer on that question

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back