Dynadot

new gtlds Domain Name News That Will Spook You!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

eenmakkie

Established Member
Impact
Imagine registering a new domain, at he moment you registered the new domain, it was not a premium top level domain. So you pay a fair price for it.
You think it is yours and every year you have to pay the same renewal price.

That is what I did by godaddy.com
I bought a new TLD domain when they came on the market.

started offering it for sale.

Now when the next renewal is coming close, I went to my godaddy.com account and suddenly they wanted 499.99$ to renew the domain for a year. A huge multiple increase compare to the price I paid to register the name.
I called help desk and they told that the domain has become top level domain name as they have seen the value of it.

what?!!!!!

So you buy a domain, spent a lot of money and work on the website, make a business around it, it becomes big on the market, you start to earn millions and suddenly the registrars can ask you what ever they want to renew your domain as they have seen the value of your domain now?

And if you do not pay the extravagant renewal price they ask, it becomes there's? So then they can sell your hard work?

Is this legal?

So what google.com or facebook.com they bought there domains for 1000 years upfront to avoid that the registrar can ask them a couple of billions to renew their domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
So now the real question is....if they are doing this crap with new TLD's then what's stopping them from starting to do the same with .com's /.org's /.net's and just about any TLD they feel like?

I'm not sure if there are price caps in place for other tlds. I think there is some back room deals going on between the new registries and ICANN. It seems like the new registries can do just about anything they want.

Plus there are just too many companies that have spent billions on development if .com sites. If the f'd them, then the whole internet would fall apart, ICANN would be at the center of massive class action lawsuits. ICANN would be disbanded and another agency would take over.

The new gtld aren't being bought up in large enough numbers by the general public, so we the average domainers can be taken advantage of.

Send your complaints to ICANN and hold them accountable for the mess the allow to continue.

•••
Ouch, I just bought a .design name from namecheap for a good price. I really hope it won't get to such 'amazing' renewal prices, since it will be a pretty tough pill to swallow. On the other hand, I switched from GoDaddy almost 10 years ago when I was asked to pay a 'redemption' fee of $80 for a domain name that expired. Instead of having a month to renew, I got the fee after 14 days. Fortunately I was able to make the transfer to namecheap and never worked with GD again (nor did I recommended anyone to work with them).

•••
So now the real question is....if they are doing this crap with new TLD's then what's stopping them from starting to do the same with .com's /.org's /.net's and just about any TLD they feel like?

This would never fly with the .com/.net contracts as they are all priced as one tier, not like the GTLD contacts which provide for premium pricing on certain terms.

This is why many people were against GTLD's, I don't know the fully story, but you have to inform the registrant of an impending price increase so they can be prepared to pay it, something seems broken along the way, hopefully more information comes out.

•••
I just finished reading the Michael Berkens blog about his gtld pricing going up to premium.

He added at the end that there were 5 more domains the the pricing structure changed on. So the total was 25 domains that ended up being much higher priced then what was stated when he purchased the domains.

To me this seems like a reverse domain hijacking case by the registry. Hopefully Michael will get on here and let us know if anything has changed or how he is currently feeling about the gtld market and registries.

I also hope that some of the registries will respond to my "Call out" thread. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

I will also let you all know if I hear back from ICANN regarding the complaint I filed. Hope it doesn't get put into the round file if you know what I mean.

•••
Registrars think that domainers holding their premium names hurts their extensions. They want end users to use and promote their product. Totally get that but I disagree.

What they fail to realize is that, in the main, domainers are the only ones who appreciate the value of good names. Premium pricing just pushes the vast majority of new end users to hyphenated .com's.

So ngtld's with premium pricing aren't friendly to either end users or domainers, which raises the question: Who are they for?

•••
So ngtld's with premium pricing aren't friendly to either end users or domainers, which raises the question: Who are they for?
For suckers.

•••
I was wondering what light the TOS would shed on the matter. We now know that it says something about the registrar having the right to increase renewal fees as it wishes. That settles it for me. Legally they can do what they have just done. Dont get me wrong I dont think its right to hike the fee that high and without prior notice but the devil is always in the small prints. If anything, what this shows or confirms is that a host of these ngtlds are being marketed by shady concerns.

•••

For Domain investors looking for the next .com Gold Rush that they missed out on. Unfortunately, not many people have the funds to partake in applying for one of these new gtld's, as that would have been the smarter investment play IMO.

•••
new gtlds came out as an alternative to .com because .com were all reg'd or the owners wanted high prices for them. The same thing can be said for ngtlds. The good ones are held back by the registry and they are asking extremely high prices for them.

ICANN let's them do this type of thing because we do not have lobbyists that smooze with ICANN and can put more than $0.18 in there pockets at a time.

Again we need to band together to fight against this type of theft. Together we own a huge percent of the domain names being reg'd.

•••
One observation I just made...I attempted to renew one of my GTLD's but my registrar would not let me add more than one year to the renewal. Very disturbing. I smell class action litigation.

Okay so I just registered icannlawsuit.com. Now we need lawyers and petitions. Unfortunately, I don't have the time as I already run a full time business of my own.

Last edited:
•••
One observation I just made...I attempted to renew one of my GTLD's but namecheap would not let me add more than one year to the renewal. Very disturbing. I smell class action litigation.

You need to call them and ask what's up with that. You are supposed to be able to renew for up to ten years. Supposedly!
Not let people renew for more than on eyear so they can change the renewal fee each year. Very disturbing indeed.

Class action coming. I'll be the one to file it if it comes to it! Get screen shots and emails of all this type of stuff. It will help the case!

Try to get emails from tech support also to document everything.

•••
You need to call them and ask what's up with that. You are supposed to be able to renew for up to ten years. Supposedly!
Not let people renew for more than on eyear so they can change the renewal fee each year. Very disturbing indeed.

Class action coming. I'll be the one to file it if it comes to it! Get screen shots and emails of all this type of stuff. It will help the case!

Try to get emails from tech support also to document everything.
Did you see the domain I just registered? We need a collaborative web development team on this one guys.

•••
I am writing my regsitrar as I speak in an effort to document their reasoning behind the 1 year max renewal on my NGTLD. Okay maybe I was wrong. it is working now on the dropdown and giving me up to 9 years.

•••
Did you see the domain I just registered? We need a collaborative web development team on this one guys.

i like that! Did you edit your post or are my eyes failing me.

I think that domain will come in handy very soon ICANN doesn't get their shit together.

•••
i like that! Did you edit your post or are my eyes failing me.

I think that domain will come in handy very soon ICANN doesn't get their sh*t together.
Edited lol

•••
•••
I am writing namecheap as I speak in an effort to document their reasoning behind the 1 year max renewal on my NGTLD.

Yes. Document everything. This will help prove the crap we are subject to at the hands of the overlords.
Namecheap will blame the registry, who will blame the registrar, who will blame ICANN, who will u-turn it back on the registry.

What a web they weave.

•••
I was still waiting to hear from @Colin Campbell about the pricing of renewals for LLL.Club as it looks like from the 15th June pricing will be increasing $300+ for LLL.Club domains just unsure about renewal costs with current domains?...

I'm a long term investor so I renewed my VR LLL.Club domains today until 2025...

After that & then what will the renewals be and will it be still attractive to an end user???

I've planned ahead an not planning be stung with outrageous renewal fees from the registrar in the coming months just in-case things do change....

IMO .Club is one of the few nGTLDs that I think will survive and do well in the future...

VR LLL Club Colin Campbell pricing.JPG

•••
I was still waiting to hear from @Colin Campbell about the pricing of renewals for LLL.Club as it looks like from the 15th June pricing will be increasing $300+ for LLL.Club domains just unsure about renewal costs with current domains?...

I'm a long term investor so I renewed my VR LLL.Club domains today until 2025...

After that & then what will the renewals be and will it be still attractive to an end user???

I've planned ahead an not planning be stung with outrageous renewal fees from the registrar in the coming months just in-case things do change....

IMO .Club is one of the few nGTLDs that I think will survive and do well in the future...

Show attachment 26882
Club doesn't do premium renewals, they just do a higher upfront fee on purchase, but always good to double check.

•••
Hmmm I remember a registry owner saying that all discounts like $1 per domain were run by registrars and the registries had nothing to do with those. Now Colin Campbell says "they ran a sale for $1 on a registrar"...Hmmm...:xf.rolleyes:

•••
•••
Club doesn't do premium renewals, they just do a higher upfront fee on purchase, but always good to double check.
What if they ever change that policy ? What about .xyz, do they do premium renewals ?

•••
8.Computer was on my "to buy" list for a while and it was normal price, but after chinese domaining exploded now it's 450€

I used to be a serious newGTLD fan but now I'm starting to lose faith, which is sad because some of these extensions have a lot of potential...

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back