NameSilo

new gtlds Domain Name News That Will Spook You!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

eenmakkie

Established Member
Impact
Imagine registering a new domain, at he moment you registered the new domain, it was not a premium top level domain. So you pay a fair price for it.
You think it is yours and every year you have to pay the same renewal price.

That is what I did by godaddy.com
I bought a new TLD domain when they came on the market.

started offering it for sale.

Now when the next renewal is coming close, I went to my godaddy.com account and suddenly they wanted 499.99$ to renew the domain for a year. A huge multiple increase compare to the price I paid to register the name.
I called help desk and they told that the domain has become top level domain name as they have seen the value of it.

what?!!!!!

So you buy a domain, spent a lot of money and work on the website, make a business around it, it becomes big on the market, you start to earn millions and suddenly the registrars can ask you what ever they want to renew your domain as they have seen the value of your domain now?

And if you do not pay the extravagant renewal price they ask, it becomes there's? So then they can sell your hard work?

Is this legal?

So what google.com or facebook.com they bought there domains for 1000 years upfront to avoid that the registrar can ask them a couple of billions to renew their domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Firstly lets ask @Joe Styler, what's the official take on this.

Secondly, why don't you just transfer out to NameSilo, their prices are at $37.99 for .villas.

•••
•••
Firstly lets ask @Joe Styler, what's the official take on this.

Secondly, why don't you just transfer out to NameSilo, their prices are at $37.99 for .villas.
Has the OP said the exact name, he will need to in order to investigate.

I mean the registry that outs out .villas is supposed to inform godaddy 6 months prior to a price hike, but the wording is not clear if godaddy has to inform the client as weird as that sounds.

•••
I deal in the Aftermarket so I would have to ask the team that does gtld registrations about the domain. I would say that I have not heard of anything like this happening yet, although I have read the same blogs by Berkens and others warning about the possibility, I have yet to see any tld do so. That being said, if you can send me the domain name I can certainly have someone on our side look into it for you and then get back to you and let you know what I find out.

•••
Is true, they are here to stay, and will create a lot of confusion, I see profit from the problem, just one of the reasons of why .com will increase its value, for big corporations will be like owning a good 800 number for worldwide audience.. In my opinion .com will be precious..

•••
Is true, they are here to stay, and will create a lot of confusion, I see profit from the problem, just one of the reasons of why .com will increase its value, for big corporations will be like owning a good 800 number for worldwide audience.. In my opinion .com will be precious..
how many of them do you own?

•••
So now the real question is....if they are doing this crap with new TLD's then what's stopping them from starting to do the same with .com's /.org's /.net's and just about any TLD they feel like?
.."VeriSign must submit to fees and strict regulation over pricing for new domain registrations and renewals. These contracts come up every six to seven years, with the existing agreements in place for .net and .com through 2017 and 2018, respectively."

•••
Attention All Registrars ............ Go Jump (you greedy $$%^%%!!!)
~
I am pretty much dropping my 10 New Gtlds
~
.com seems more "governed'

•••
Imagine registering a new domain, at he moment you registered the new domain, it was not a premium top level domain. So you pay a fair price for it.
You think it is yours and every year you have to pay the same renewal price.

That is what I did by godaddy.com
I bought a new TLD domain when they came on the market.

started offering it for sale.

Now when the next renewal is coming close, I went to my godaddy.com account and suddenly they wanted 499.99$ to renew the domain for a year. A huge multiple increase compare to the price I paid to register the name.
I called help desk and they told that the domain has become top level domain name as they have seen the value of it.

what?!!!!!

So you buy a domain, spent a lot of money and work on the website, make a business around it, it becomes big on the market, you start to earn millions and suddenly the registrars can ask you what ever they want to renew your domain as they have seen the value of your domain now?

And if you do not pay the extravagant renewal price they ask, it becomes there's? So then they can sell your hard work?

Is this legal?

So what google.com or facebook.com they bought there domains for 1000 years upfront to avoid that the registrar can ask them a couple of billions to renew their domains?
Please message me the .villa name. I am from the Donuts registry and would like to investigate.

•••
Agreed the renewal price of the domain should be mentioned upfront not after registering.

•••
Please message me the .villa name. I am from the Donuts registry and would like to investigate.

Please let us know what you find out. Why the change in price, is that going to be a normal practice for "Donuts"?

•••
I spoke with Andee and Donuts has not raised the price on the .villa domain so there must be some kind of error or misunderstanding. We have both asked for the domain a couple times. I think having that would help us get to the bottom of this very quickly. I am about to head out for the day but I will be around to look into it again tomorrow after my live hangout, (plug https://www.namepros.com/threads/live-hangout-on-the-godaddy-investor-app-for-auctions.932770/ ) A pm with the domain name will help us easily get to the bottom of it. I think it is good news from the registry that the prices have not changed. If GoDaddy has made an error on the pricing I am happy to apologize and get it fixed asap.

•••
i would like to thank Joe Styler and Andee Hill for coming into the thread to help sort things out. Joe I've seen you come into other threads and offer help. I'm glad that there are stand up reps from Godaddy on the forum.

Thank you both.
Now the ball is in ennmakkie's court to get them the domain so they can help.

•••
Many thanks to Joe Styler and Andee Hill for getting involved and helping clear this up.

The OP is a new member here and appears reluctant to name the domain. Possible verisign agent here to bad mouth ngtld's?

•••
If these "new" premium fees and "adjustments" are true it only trashes the new gtld's and reinforces the value of .com's and also .cc's as Verisign runs .cc.
.cc renewal fees are going down to only $8/year as well.

•••
If these "new" premium fees and "adjustments" are true it only trashes the new gtld's and reinforces the value of .com's and also .cc's as Verisign runs .cc.
.cc renewal fees are going down to only $8/year as well.

Please read rest of the thread. Looks like this actually isn't true.

•••
Please read rest of the thread. Looks like this actually isn't true.
What's not true? Higher renewal fee and hold back's for premium names? The whole idea of these new gtld's was to provide affordable .com keyword options for new buyers. Holding back "premium" keywords for thousands of dollars was not "a deal" for anyone other than the registries. I remember looking at the new .auto etc extensions and typing gibberish into the search bar and voila. Outrageous reg and renewal fees. Go try it I just did here is what came back.
asdfafasdf.cars
Available
$2,999.88
Renewal $2,999.88 / year

What a joke!!! They are committing suicide. Stick with .com, .net and .cc. They are run by Verisign. Mikes post also confirms the scam.
http://www.thedomains.com/2015/09/2...-in-the-new-gtld-space-goes-to-mind-machines/

•••
What's not true? Higher renewal fee and hold back's for premium names?

Oh this is absolutely verifiable but I mean in the case of the OP with .villa it appears to be a false claim unless the OP wants to state the name so the matter can be investigated further.

But I think you know what I meant. Also you're raising a different issue. No-one is making you reg asdfafasdf.cars for $3000. OP is claiming they reg'd a .villa domain for regular price and then the renewal fee was hiked up without notice.

•••
Yes you are correct no one is forcing anyone to reg adasdfasdfa.whatever but these reg fees will kill the extensions when they were supposed to provide affordable alternatives to all of the "overpriced" .coms.
Changing reg fees more than 10%/yr after you register a domain should be criminal.

•••
Yes you are correct no one is forcing anyone to reg adasdfasdfa.whatever but these reg fees will kill the extensions when they were supposed to provide affordable alternatives to all of the "overpriced" .coms.

I believe your right. Think I said earlier in the thread premium pricing on ngtld's just promotes hyphenated .com's.

•••
Yes or just approach the owner of the non hypenated .com. There are many deals in the $xxxx range for single and double word .com names including brandables.

•••
Yes or just approach the owner of the non hypenated .com. There are many deals in the $xxxx range for single and double word .com names including brandables.

Yeah I'd go along with that. The only way ngtld's were ever going to work was if they were cheap and provided more logical and easy to remember strings. The unseen cost to the registrant would be traffic leakage to the .com, which may or may not fade over time.

Sadly the best ngtld's have been priced as if they were .com. So you have to pay .com price and you still lose traffic. Sorry but who came up with this business model? It might look good in the short term when dominers reg a bunch of these but in the medium term? Shot themselves in the foot imo.

•••
The bleed will always go to .com. I still have customers that put .com after .ca and they are in Canada. This is after I tell them the domain address with the .ca extension and no reference to .com??

•••
•••
I dunno about always.
Yes your right. O.co showed it was 61%. Imagine over half of your customers going to .com and you don't have the .com. Ouch.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back