IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I see many nonsense posts like $0, not developed, not .com, etc. people saying these things are either dumb or just compiling number of posts.

Why ask for a developed domain when it is a domain appraisal folder. If is it developed, it is not just a domain anymore, right?

With the above argument, even if you post a newly-registered car.com, a dumb appraiser will still tell you it's $0 because it is not developed.

Majority of comments on appraisal folder are useless and I think the admin should check and consider having some specific rules in there.

Thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The idea that only xx amount of posted members can give an appraisal does have some merit, however as also pointed out it would block a thread starter from asking questions and replying to appraisers as well. It's important to keep in mind that not only is the appraisal forum one of the most active, it's also one of the first forums a new member starts threads in besides the welcome forum.

If we were to lock-out new members from the primary appraisal forum they post in when they sign-up, we would retro-actively shoot our self in the foot. Many new members sign-up just to post a thread in appraisals, then they gradually start to participate in other forums / topics afterwords.

Maybe creating a new group Badge "Trusted Appraiser" or something of that nature that ONLY members willing to post appraisals that meet a guideline can be a part of? If they fail to follow the guidelines of that group, they risk losing their authority / trusted group badge.

With a group + badge it might do the following:

• Encourage members of this group to maintain a standard of appraisals
  • Members of this group have been active at namepros and the domain industry a minimum of 1 year
  • Provide the members of this group with an authoritative presence at NP
  • Allows an Appraisal requester to sort through all the posts easier and Identify the best appraisals

We may not get many people that qualify and have the spare time to participate in such a program, but it might help at least put some domains into better perspective if even only a few people took the time to follow a guideline in every appraisal post.

This may or may not be a viable solution, what's everyone elses input on this idea?

Eric Lyon

•••
Silveraden, can you let us know the person(s) posting '0' comments for different domains on a constant basis?
I still don't see why it would be a problem if the domain is crap and every one else agrees it is crap? Or does it have to be an extended zero appraisal, such as:

1) keyword does not make any sense
2) there are plenty of similar or better available for registration
Thus the value is $0, reg fee, or "would only worth something if you developed it" - whatever version OP prefers.

•••
So do we need a new rule in this forum? Like:
d. Buy some $0-appraisal credits (we accept PayPal) :wave:

:O :tri: :) :laugh: :tu:

e. BAN the words 'WORTHLESS' and 'CRAP' from the appraisal section! :lol:

Last edited:
•••
appraisal at the end means nothing if you have the necessary selling skills and contacts.
you can take a "worthless" domain and sell it to an end user for several thousands - we all saw that at least once...or you can have some of the best domains in the world and are worthless cause you can't sell them.
there are other cases that the domain is worth something for a very specific niche or even that the domain itself is *crap*.Selling a domain for a very specific niche is hard work, so much that most ppl just label them as "worthless" because of the ROI.
when i buy any domain i have to "see" some deving for it, if i can't i label it "worthless", but then again i'm not what you call a pure domainer.

•••
^^^ Yes! In the end, the sale price is not affected by the appraisals on here! It is fun seeing people's opinions of domains! One of these days, a domain appraised as 'crap worthless $0' in the section will come back as sold for a 'seller-happy' price! Fun to read though! :blink:

Last edited:
•••
there are other cases that the domain is worth something for a very specific niche or even that the domain itself is *crap*.Selling a domain for a very specific niche is hard work, so much that most ppl just label them as "worthless" because of the ROI.
most appraisers call them worthless because they find a hard sell to convince somebody that there is a value in it and not in the other domain available for registration (without getting them drugged/intoxicated to extend their imagination enough for every domain look pretty :hehe:)

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

If we were to lock-out new members from the primary appraisal forum they post in when they sign-up, we would retro-actively shoot our self in the foot. Many new members sign-up just to post a thread in appraisals, then they gradually start to participate in other forums / topics afterwords.
so true, don't do it!
Maybe creating a new group Badge "Trusted Appraiser" or something of that nature that ONLY members willing to post appraisals that meet a guideline can be a part of? If they fail to follow the guidelines of that group, they risk losing their authority / trusted group badge.

This may or may not be a viable solution, what's everyone elses input on this idea?
kinda tough sell, while currently we can spend as much time on the appraisal as what we think it is worth and have fun, having to stick to guidelines no matter how crappy the name is and doing it for free would be depressing.

•••
Let me just say this.

If anyone does not like the way appraisals are done, then let them never go there.

Geesh...what next?

Complain in the auction section that no one is bidding?

•••
Let me just say this.

If anyone does not like the way appraisals are done, then let them never go there.

Geesh...what next?

We could complain about liberal bias in the politics threads.

•••
kinda tough sell, while currently we can spend as much time on the appraisal as what we think it is worth and have fun, having to stick to guidelines no matter how crappy the name is and doing it for free would be depressing.
(wow i am already quoting myself :red:)

for example it took me like 10-15 minutes to research and write appraisal for this, but it least I have felt the domain is worth it:
http://www.namepros.com/domain-appraisals/767876-nanocellulose-com.html

not gonna do it for just any name for sure!

•••
even with your research for me is still $0 :)

•••
New members are entitled to give there appraisal opinions too

And an appraisal like "I dont see value here $0" may be short and to the point but still is an apprasial.

Last time I looked Frank and Rick were too busy to be appraisers on here, be happy anyone contributes to the section.

•••
appraisal at the end means nothing if you have the necessary selling skills and contacts.
you can take a "worthless" domain and sell it to an end user for several thousands - we all saw that at least once...or you can have some of the best domains in the world and are worthless cause you can't sell them.
Domain quality is much more important than sales skills. Domains are not all equal.
If the domain is really bad (and not just 'okay' if developed) then good luck finding a buyer.
There are flukes but they are not the norm.

^^^ Yes! In the end, the sale price is not affected by the appraisals on here!
When appraising a domain it's quite difficult to provide an accurate price range. Comparable sales are a guide.
What I am appraising is the odds the domain would actually sell.

When I see a domain I generally have a good idea of whether somebody might want to own it.

Basically, it's more like a binary statement :cy:
  • reasonable likelihood of a sale/worth keeping, OR:
  • unlikely to sell, cut losses
When I see a domain like Fastnet.com for example, I know there are plenty of potential buyers.
When I see a domain that is awkward and meaningless I know that auto-renew should be set to off because I can't think of one single reason why somebody would even buy the domain for regfee. Just because you are the first to register the domain doesn't make it valuable, it's actually the opposite :red:

I agree appraisals can be more detailed, even when there is nothing good to say about the domain. But I don't like using canned responses.

•••

Geesh...what next?

no, but if someone bids LOW and stills domain for nothing, that is a clear violation!:notme:
everyone must bid HIGH and submit only GOOD appraisals! :)

Last edited:
•••
If you think a member posting 10 "0" comments in 10 different domains because he feel that the domains doesn't have any value is okay then I think you would turn this forum into garbage...

Frankly - and I say this as someone who has appraised many domains on here, usually with some thoughtful comments - what turns the appraisal forum into "garbage" is the vast number of posts looking for appraisals of absolutely worthless domains.

Maybe what we need is a disclaimer at the top of the forum saying, "If multiple members appraise your domain at $0 or reg fee, that probably means it has low search numbers, has no obvious value to any end user, and is no better than domains that get hand-regged every day. If you post domains that don't fit that description, they are far more likely to get thoughtful appraisals."

•••
Maybe what we need is a disclaimer at the top
A few months ago we added the following disclaimer in the appraisal rules to try & address a little of this topic:
Attention: Please remember that members donate their time for free to provide appraisals to other members. It's common sometimes to receive a $0 or reg fee appraisal, Please don't take it personal and keep in mind that people tend to use different valuing systems. If your thread doesn't receive an appraisal within a few days you can usually assume other members didn't see enough instant value in it to research further.

Eric Lyon

•••
A few months ago we added the following disclaimer in the appraisal rules to try & address a little of this topic:

Eric Lyon

Maybe have it as a prominent notice when you go to start a thread in appraisals?

Also;

Attention: Please remember that members donate their time for free to provide appraisals to other members. It's common sometimes to receive a $0 or reg fee appraisal, please don't take it personally and keep in mind that people tend to use different valuing systems. If your thread doesn't receive an appraisal within a few days you can usually assume other members didn't see enough instant value in it to research further.

Just a couple of errors that were hurting my brain - yes, I'm that picky. :hearts:

:wave:

•••
Maybe have it as a prominent notice when you go to start a thread in appraisals?
Done, Notice is now at the top of both the Appraisal & Pre-Appraisal forums :)

Eric Lyon

•••
If some are having issues with the advice from a free appraisal, they always can just get a paid appraisal.

I hear sometimes those paid apprasial guys offer $xxxx for the names being appraised. :)

But on a serious note. I agree to a certain extent that there are some appraisals that are way off, or users that should not be making apprasials at all.

But on the other hand, there are also users who are appraising names based on their own past and present experiences with both buying and selling domains.

You need a hard shell to make it in domaining, and you also need an open mind.

Whether you receive a $0 value for an apprasial or $1000 value, it really doesn't matter.

An appraisal is ultimately just another tool for you to use in this crazy game.

Would it help if we changed the name from the "appraisal section" to the "opinion section". :)

•••
There are also many requests for domains that cannot be appraised.

For example, if you have a .so, .tk or .asia domain, it's automatically worthless imo (with very few exceptions). Hence the generic, canned and short appraisals.

Then there is the case of domain hacks, in my view they are worthless.
Yes, I know they do sell sometimes but it's more a question of luck than domain quality.
Those who like domain hacks will praise them, those who don't will advise against them.
Opinions are all over the place.

The prospect of a sale is so unpredictable that it makes little sense trying to appraise them.
"$$$$ to the right end user" doesn't help much if that perfect end user doesn't exist, or there is 0.000001% chance.

•••
I don't agree with, a worthless domain can be sold for thousands to someone, that is just the same as claiming, buy a lotto ticked and you may win the jackpot.

Attention: Please remember that members donate their time for free to provide appraisals to other members. It's common sometimes to receive a $0 or reg fee appraisal, please don't take it personally and keep in mind that people tend to use different valuing systems. If your thread doesn't receive an appraisal within a few days you can usually assume other members didn't see enough instant value in it to research further.

Doing something free doesn't mean it should have no quality.
No one is forced to give appraisals. If you find the time to appraise a domain, just make a quick research. Don't visit the appraisal section when you are bored or when you have to make the amount of posts you use to make daily.

IMO, I don't like this notice, it gives me the idea, you may get some pointless appraisals, but don't worry about it. :laugh:

•••
Go to appraisals and see how many people do take it personally.
Some get vehement about the fact that they did not get their idea of the right appraisal.

To me, if you take it personal, then don't ask for an appraisal ever again.

•••
Some get vehement about the fact that they did not get their idea of the right appraisal.

To me, if you take it personal, then don't ask for an appraisal ever again.

Take the possibility you might be wrong in appraising, wouldn't it be easy if you don't appraise?
You have to consider both sides.

•••
No, you ask for an appraisal, you get an appraisal.
There is only one side, asking for an appraisal.

•••
Surprisingly not that many, most people do understand the appraisal concept.

No, you ask for an appraisal, you get an appraisal.
There is only one side, asking for an appraisal.

Why would anyone ask for somebody else's honest opinion, while only accepting a certain outcome?
The market place is for that - it allows in particular post crappy domains for sale at insane prices (and even provide all ridiculous reasons to justify the price like I have already got 3 $x,xxx offers), and no one supposed to reply to that unless with own offer/bid.

Once asked for appraisal (opinion) - you have got it!

•••
Hit dislike... And neg rep

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back