Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I see many nonsense posts like $0, not developed, not .com, etc. people saying these things are either dumb or just compiling number of posts.

Why ask for a developed domain when it is a domain appraisal folder. If is it developed, it is not just a domain anymore, right?

With the above argument, even if you post a newly-registered car.com, a dumb appraiser will still tell you it's $0 because it is not developed.

Majority of comments on appraisal folder are useless and I think the admin should check and consider having some specific rules in there.

Thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I don't agree that $0 should be the minimum. Some domains posted for appraisal are major TM violations, accordingly the potential liability in court is up to $100,000 D-:
So the minimum should be -$100,000 (+ legal fees) :)

I see a good point. New domainers may NOT take the huge potential risk serious enough and may end up with a totally ruined life. My opinion.

•••
If you have to ask what a domain is worth 9.9 times out of 10 it is worthless!

-TheChamp

•••
If you have to ask what a domain is worth 9.9 times out of 10 it is worthless!

-TheChamp

That's not true. I don't understand people that comes with so "precise" statistics.

•••
That's not true. I don't understand people that comes with so "precise" statistics.

You are probably right, but do not take things so literal. It was just my opinion, I know when I use to ask what domains were worth when I first started that they were garbage domains.

I just am stating from my experiences and that was just my opinion. It was not meant to offend anyone nor was it meant to come across as factual.

•••
Must Read!!

Most Users who hang-around at the Appraisal section are very pessimistic!! or Maybe Sly

I have noticed a lot of people coming up with good names asking to be appraised and watching other members joke at the names before ordering them to drop it as an only option..

It's so bad that i think even if i had sex.com and i asked for an appraisal, i'd probably have someone there telling me to drop it that it isn't worth reg fee (Sarcasm)..

Anyways i registered two Dictionary one word .co's, can't say them other cos i just sold one of them..

But i asked for the "experienced" domainers on the appraisal section to appraise these names and all i got was "Drop them", .co market dead, not even worth reg fee bla bla ... I even considered dropping them, but i held on, put both of em up for auction on godaddy and one of em sold for high xxx

So i wonder if these half of these experienced domainers know what they are talking about or are do they intentionally discourage one and tell em their domain is useless, in the hope that the person drops the name so that they can register it themselves??

I wonder...

What do you think

•••
...I would cut the appraisers some slack.

They are taking time to evaluate a name and it is not easy when you are NOT an enduser looking for the name being offered for appraisal. Subjective it is, but more often than they are not honest opinions.

There would be some that protect their own interests, of course, but I am guessing that the number is low as they would not spend time on appraisals to begin with.

Those few that would may put a low appraisal if they have similar names in the same niche, or a dot commie trying to degrade alternative extensions to protect his/her investments. But too few to consider, actually.

Glad you are doing well with .co. I only have two and only one is actually for sale(cannabinoids//co).

Best of fortune in your future endeavors. Enjoy the ride...

Thanks for the compliment, yeah i know what you mean but some of them are too cheesy especially with the way they appraise..

Some will say stuff like "Throw your card away"

.co is actually a good extension, serves as a typo for .com if you think about it

You have a pretty good name, i wonder who registered cocaine.co lol so lucky

•••
even admitted that they base their appraisals on what they "Like or Don't Like"
Yes! I see this all the time. People liking the types of domains that tend to have value and not liking the ones that tend not to have value
Some refuse to consider other factors like any past comperable sales in their appraisals

Not sure about "refuse" comperables are good and should be stated, but comparables only go so far.

even a domains age

As we all know people reg bad names in the old days too.

some have went as far to say they hate hyphenated domains so any hyphen automatically kills the domain

A) Hate a strong word, try dislike, avoids, extra caution. B) There a reason hypens give people the shivers. C) 99.9% of the hyphen names we see in that section are not home-loan.com

others have said anything over the 14 character rule also automatically kills any domain.

"OtherS" try "a person" Yes it was painful at times. But it was his way of trying to school people on being mindful of limits.

That's all a bunch BS!

;)

That people are predjudice to certain extentions, hypens? People are not predjudice to home.co but hand reg a dot co a year after the rush, or have a three hyphen 'seo' domain and there will be some raised eyebrows.

if you don't dedicate a few Extra minutes to doing a little research of the domain

;)
Yes I agree people should do some reasearch. But also dont assume they didnt either.

And as they always say in the appraisal forum...IMHO

;)

2x

And remember the red text when entering the apprasial section

and also remember not very many people appraise anymore

•••
Why whine about the appraisals you got.
The appraisal section clearly states: Please keep in mind that members donate their time for free to do appraisals. It's common to get a reg fee or $0 appraisal, please don't take it personal.

So you took it personal and opened up a thread to whine.

If you don't like your appraisals, then walk away and don't bother ever asking again.
Period.

Whiner.

•••
.co is actually a good extension, serves as a typo for .com if you think about it

Sorry, that's just a silly statement. Most of the people who belong to NamePros & post appraisals here have done more than just "think about" domains ... especially compared to someone who's been a member for four months.

I hope you have a lot of success and keep selling domains for more than they were appraised for. But remember: a newbie shouldn't assume he can tell the experienced pros something they didn't "think about".

•••
I do not feel like rehashing earlyer points so Ill just go to your stated single biggest problem.

"only" is incorrect, I told countless people to ask for a certain amount and when I say this I dont mean domainer 2 domainer. And many of my given $xx values carrys a cavate like "a crafy domainer can get out of this position at this value" Which is code for get emailing lol

Giving people an End User price is just not in the cards for every appraisal section domain (heck most). Its pointless to speculate at that level for most names. There also the opposite pressure of "What that can be Apple Inc inquiring about that name, appraiser A a dumbass for stating an enduser price that low. Every so often we see someone post a very nice name and members post reseller and enduser prices. Why because they can invision a true enduser being interested in that name and have a feel for where it can go. I guess you can retort back, "i said point of view" I feel their point of view is in every appraisal.

I look at the appraisal section as more of a learning section for new members. Especially where someone post a list of their names and we can point out one or two having some potential.

First off I should not have used the term Domainer, I should have sead Reseller, my mistake.

Giving an End User appraisal should in fact be in the cards, if you have the ability to give a reseller appraisal, then you should have the ability to give an end user appraisal.

If an appraiser has no experience in selling domains to end users then maybe they can say they don't have any experience selling to end users, But you are a so called professional and you keep an eye on the domain market (which you should) and you have an opinion on a reseller price then you should have an opinion on an end user price.

If an appraiser thinks a domain is worthless to a reseller then of course they will think it is worthless to an end user.
But, If it's worth $1 to a reseller then its must be worth more the an end user.

What good is an appraiser if they only have the ability to appraise at a reseller level?

Its not any more difficult to speculate on an end user price as it is for a reseller price, just do your DD
After all this Entire industry was built and operates on Speculation.

:)

•••
How about, instead of talking about the Appraisal section, you acctually go there and appraise my domain? :lol:

•••
I believe what is most important to a newbie is the opportunity to get feedback on their own domains, not necessarily to give feedback to others.

Have you considered that what you might possibly lose in popularity among newbies who will be prevented from throwing out meaningless appraisals, you might actually gain in higher esteem in the industry and possibly more experienced users? Not saying that is necessarily the case, but worth considering. As it is now, the appraisal section is more entertaining than informative, sorry.:guilty: Just my 2c.

This is a great point and very true.

There are many newbies who couldn't detect a fart in a phone booth, let alone appraise a domain.

I for one like participating in the appraisal section and sometimes offering my point of view and opinion on the names.

But it gets very annoying when users right of the boat continuously appraise names with little to no knowledge at all.

It gives many newbies who are seeking knowledge and info a false expectation on the domain in question.

Maybe its time to start enforcing some restrictions.

Just my thoughts here.

•••
In my opinion in addition to estimating the wholesale (liquid) value of a domain appraisers should also give their OPINION as to the current and future potentials of a domain for such factors as end-user sales, lease, joint venture, and development.

It is also important to make sure that the appraisers don’t have any personal bias towards the extension, whether it was hand regged or not, the owner of the domain, and whether they might want to buy the domain themselves. After a while you will learn whose opinions to value (even if the appraisal is not to your liking) and which ones to ignore. IMO

Last edited:
•••
Namepros "Domain Appraisals" Section

So I've been posting comments in the "Domain Appraisal" threads for years now.
I see some pretty pathetic domain names in there and I think that NP should have some sort of minimum criteria for "new" posters.
For example;
Posters must have 100 posts.
Posters must be a member for more than a month.
Maybe have domains go through some sort of crap filter before being posted.
Anyways, I enjoy going through the threads giving my .02 but hate the fact that it's full of crap and people that post once and never return.
What are your opinions of the appraisal sections here at NP.

Respect:guilty:

•••
That's not a bad idea. I like the first two suggestions although I think that 100 posts might be a bit excessive. The filter probably won't work since I can't even begin to think of an algorithm that could successfully filter out bad domain names. Maybe they should be converted into polls with options like $0-99, 100-499, 500-999, etc. It would be quick and easy to build up votes and if people have specific questions, that's what the domain newbies section is for. :)

Edit: Obviously there should be a "regfee" option too. :laugh:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back