IT.COM

Strange GoDaddy Auctions cancellation email for a Namefind portfolio

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nametree

Nametree.comTop Member
Impact
I recently purchased a domain (uranian dot com) via Godaddy Auctions and was pretty confident it would actually be delivered since previous whois information listed NameFind which is one of GoDaddy's portfolios.

I've had Auctions domains cancelled after purchase due to original owners transferring or renewing at other registrars. But my understanding is that domains that are with GoDaddy can no longer be renewed after they go to auctions.

This is a particularly strange one because it had been listed on NameFind (and still is) for $1999.

The auction price didn't go anywhere near that, which makes me question - is GoDaddy selectively sending domains from its NameFind portfolio to Auctions, only to take them back if they don't meet their expectations?

Don't want to read into this too much, but it already seems like a conflict of interest when you run an auctions platform for expired domains, and a platform like NameFind, and I believe GoDaddy doesn't bid against its customers but what happened here is strange to say the least.

Has anyone here seen or grabbed a name previously seen on NameFind through their Auctions platform?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Quoting @Joe Styler 's reply to another GoDaddy Auctions thread-

"When you bid on a domain name that expired at GoDaddy and it is on day 31 post expiration then you should get the domain without any issue."

This domain has been and is clearly still with GoDaddy. Would love some input here.

•••
It just came to GoDaddy today. It was in the process of transferring. It was part of a portfolio of domains we recently purchased. There is another thread where I explained this:
We only buy portfolios of domains we do not hold back any expired domains or bid against customers.
We recently bought a portfolio of domains and normally when we buy portfolios of names some are expired because of the time it takes to get everything done, paid, access to accounts etc, and we then normally start moving names to our GD account under the Namefind portfolio.
This was one of those names, we bought it, it was included in the portfolio deal we made and we simply renewed it via transfer once we got control over it. It was not in our control to list or not list via the auction until we moved it, it was in the hands of another party. We have NDA agreements in place and cannot discuss more details about the transaction, parties etc. However, if you follow the main domain blogs they usually watch the WHOIS changes etc and report on changes in portfolio ownership and you can see this lines up with what is being publicly reported elsewhere.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back