Dynadot

discuss Why do people let all these great domains expire?

NameSilo
Watch

Domainer2015

Impact
I've always been a little puzzled, especially when looking at expired domain auctions the kind of domains you see people let expire. It's no more than $15 to renew a domain, and I've seen some expired domains going for thousands!

So what does everything think some of the most common causes for all the great domains that expire daily?
Is it lack of knowledge? Forgetting to renew? Lack of funds to renew? Abducted by aliens?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I emailed a guy who was letting some really good domains drop. I'm not going to say who he is or what domains I tryed to get. But I offered him $1600 for 7 of the domains and he said he would rather let them expire then take less then $3000 And he let most of them expire and renewed 1 or 2 but he told me he had no plans to renew any until I said something. And these where monster names....one man's trash is another man's treasure.

That was my experience too. I used to review the drop list a couple days ahead and then contact the last registered owners. I would offer them cash to register the name and transfer it to me. Much of the time it was too much hassle and they would rather let them drop. Amazing really.

•••
•••
I think lack of knowledge about how they can use them. Which makes it useless to them and priceless to someone else.

•••
haha I've sold sites to people and they never worked on them and let them drop or forgot about them whatever and then waited for it to expire and bought it back and then sold them again.

I've done that several times now over the years. But that's only been for sites I knew were doing well.

Sometimes it pays to look up your old sites you've sold and see how they're doing or keep an eye on them.

I've heard this a lot. It pays to monitor all domains you've sold.

•••
I've always been a little puzzled, especially when looking at expired domain auctions the kind of domains you see people let expire. It's no more than $15 to renew a domain, and I've seen some expired domains going for thousands!

So what does everything think some of the most common causes for all the great domains that expire daily?
Is it lack of knowledge? Forgetting to renew? Lack of funds to renew? Abducted by aliens?

I let domains expire when I decide I'm not going to use them because I don't sell domain names, it would take a lot of time to make accounts at places to sell them, pimp the name, etc. and it might not even sell.

So I just let them expire when I decide I do not want them. I suspect you will find many like that. Selling them just isn't my thing.

•••
Reason is I know the big guys are breaking the icann rules.
I got hit once for a back order and never got the domain or my money back with gd. I lost one domain because sedo wanted too much for the dot com my net I let drop and went for the new .me (then) immediately sedo had it for 7.5k along with the .com for 70k. I wonder how many of the big money domains were actually snatched by the registrars themselves and that is illegal. We know they are doing it!

Alarming and disquieting story!!

12053687.5482422e89db6.jpg

•••
I drop a domain and it picked for 250. Cant believe. Bad luck for me.

•••
It's no more than $15 to renew a domain
Yes, but when you have 500 or 5K domains in your portfolio you have to consider $5K and $50K total annual renewal fees is something to manage very carefully, and sometimes you simply have to drop a few ;)

Also, domainers with large portfolios keep certain domains for a short time, of course every domain is bought with the belief it will sell, but even some good names just don't sell. So if not sold in X period then drop and move on.

Some drops are from non-domainers who don't know the potential value, and some bought for a project which went dead and just let it expire.

People pass away, businesses fold, people forget to renew, even domainers sometimes make mistakes, or just move on to something else entirely, like developing sites instead etc.

Ours is not to question why, but to register that drop and make a tidy flip ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back