Dynadot

question Do you buy domains for resale, development of both?

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I recently noticed where BrandBucket advertises they've been "Naming Startups since 2007"....so what's the BIG DEAL? I've been naming/branding startups since since 1970, and some are still in business today:xf.rolleyes:

Prior to learning about the domain industry just two years ago i'd been starting and naming business's for over 50 years, yet according to so called professional domainers my experience doesn't count:ROFL:

While I consider myself still a rookie when it comes to simply buying and selling domains, you just need to be successful developing one domain to keep you in the game.

I've mentioned before that most of the domains I purchase or create via hand registration have a business model/plan/ideal backing them up. I've been struggling whether this is "Value Added" or "Added Value" to my domains for sale, but it's certainly worth suggesting it to the end user.

Ironically some domains can have a duel or multiple meaning. The domain IncredibleDrive(.)com can be used to describe the "drive" of an automobile, or it can be used to describe someone's motivation as in, "she has incredible motivation" In a case like this, i believe it best to suggest both meanings in your presentation.

Lately I've been spending most of my time developing a single domain that has hundreds of times the revenue potential (if successful) than it simply has for resale. While the name itself is certainly short...just "5" characters, easily pronounced, relevant for a particular industry, and "catchy", it's the business model behind the name that maximizes it's value imho.. And it doesn't hurt that I'm in the process of trademarking the name:xf.wink:

What makes this industry appealing to me is that it's not only fun, it stimulates creativity unlike anything I've I've ever done. Are your domains for resale? Development? or Both?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Both. I have sold a domain including a business plan just 1time ( ;) ) so I'm sure it can be done.

•••
Both. I have sold a domain including a business plan just 1time ( ;) ) so I'm sure it can be done.
I'm curious...did you market it that way or did it just happen?

•••
Both. Generally, the more uses and demand a domain has, the more valuable it is.

70% of my domains have development potential.

Last edited:
•••
Both. Generally, the more uses and demand a domain has, the more valuable it is.

70% of my domains have development potential.
Makes a lot of sense especially from someone (you) who has been around this industry since 2005. Someone mentioned you may want to be careful due to multiple uses, so you don't want to get too carried away and possibly scare someone off.

I'm in the process of developing a domain now that "if" successful can generate a lot of residual income and continual revenue for years to come......FORE!

Thanks for commenting(y)

•••
I'm curious...did you market it that way or did it just happen?

I marketed it that way as I felt there was an uncovered niche in a certain industry. I sold it by doing some networking. Actually ,I got in touch with a couple of prospects on a conference I was attending, got to talk, had some drinks at the bar of the hotel and sold the package.

•••
I don't buy names that I don't really want myself. I am happy to get stuck with them all.

•••
I marketed it that way as I felt there was an uncovered niche in a certain industry. I sold it by doing some networking. Actually ,I got in touch with a couple of prospects on a conference I was attending, got to talk, had some drinks at the bar of the hotel and sold the package.
Good stuff NameDeck....sbweb aka Steve just said; "70% of my domains have development potential" I could say the same thing about my portfolio. When I'm buying/creating domains I'm generally thinking about their development/business potential. Sometimes it may be beneficial to share some industry statistics and even some revenue/income numbers that apply to the industry the domain addresses. Again, you probably don't want to get too involved, but just enough to stimulate interest. Industries like real estate, financial services and even healthcare are perfect for adding value to your domain/name.

•••
I don't buy names that I don't really want myself. I am happy to get stuck with them all.
That makes a lot of sense. Not knowing how something works makes it very hard to sell, but if your knowledge, experience and education can add value it's a bonus imho.

•••
That's why most of my names are internet media, tech or cannabis related. I figure if I stick to what I know better chance of success.

•••
That's why most of my names are internet media, tech or cannabis related. I figure if I stick to what I know better chance of success.
Hey Jason...so you're from the SHOWME state, and you're a sports fan:xf.grin: We should probably talk. I need help, and you may be just the guy? Neither one of us are as good as we think we are, but combined we may have some potential. I've sent you a PM if you're interested:xf.wink:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back