IT.COM

question How do you know the worth of your domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sridomain

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

Hope you are doing good.

I've been following this forum in the recent past.
I bought some domains and parked in some dan and Sedo. I'm seeing some visitors to my domains.

My question is How do you know the worth of your domain?
What is your approach for domain sale?
what are your two suggestions to newcomers in this field?

Have a nice day.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The value of a domain name is typically based around two factors:

1. Rarity
2. Demand

Rare domains are those with a finite number still available in the aftermarket. For example three and four letter .com domains.

Single English word .com domains are also fairly rare if they are in common use. So a name like happy.com would carry a premium price because it is recognisable and memorable, and also because there are again a finite number of such words available. Ghostlify.com on the other hand is a recognised word, but has little value as it’s not used as part of everyday conversation.

Some other top level domains such as .net, .org, .io and a few others also do well with single words, but these are generally considered less valuable than .com.

As for demand, this is far more difficult to measure objectively. Some people use search data or compare how many similar domains (across other top level domains) are already registered and in use by businesses. The more a name is used, the more valuable it’s likely to be.

Finally, certain names just sound good and are considered brandable. These are often two or three words that when placed together make sense or offer new meaning. Think Microsoft or Groupon as examples. These don’t have inherent value but gain value over time with marketing investment.

I’ll let others chime in about selling domains.

•••
Use Namebio.com and Dnjournal.com (sales archive) to value your domains. Besides search traffic, number of extensions taken, CPC, etc.

•••
A domain is worth as much as a buyer is ready to pay for it. I kinda hate hearing it myself but there's truth in it. At the end of the day someone who absolutely wants to buy your domain for 2k will probably also feel the same at 3k. Therefore, all you need to do is price your domain somewhere in the ball park. The best way to go about that is to look at past sales as mentioned above.

Ultimately, pricing is a number's game like everything in domaining. The more domains you have the less impactful (wrong) pricing gets, whereas with small portfolios setting the right asking prices (not too low, not too high) is crucial to keep you afloat.

•••
Name bio and prior sales data as a guideline, beyond that trust your gut there is no concrete only the price someone might be willing to pay.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back