IT.COM

Do you agree Bill Gates's statement that Domains have and will continue to go up in value faster...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Haroon Basha

Service.xyzTop Member
Impact
Once Bill Gates said "Domains have and will continue to go up in value faster than any other commodity ever known to man”

Is this statement holds good today?
Please share your views.

Related:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Once Bill Gates said "Domains have and will continue to go up in value faster than any other commodity ever known to man”

Please share your views.
Where did you find that storyline? Maybe post the newsline on here.

•••
•••
"I hate cheesecake."
-Albert Einstein.

•••
Okay my input to your question; maybe, maybe not. And yes if I sale one domain name for at least 7 to 8 figures ...

•••
•••
Who Really Said it? Just to set the record straight…..

The Domain King®

Morning Folks!! If you repeat something that is not factual long enough does it become Fact? I have read in countless places something that just is not accurate and has been repeated for many years as fact. It is time to share the events that led to that. I hope you will indulge me while I tell you the real story as it really went down.
Over the years there has been much discussion about a quote I made that has been attributed to Bill Gates. The quote: 'Domains will go up faster in value than any other commodity ever known to mankind.' Did Bill Gates really say that?
In a word, No and as the late Paul Harvey would say 'Here is the rest of the story.'
First, that is my quote. Been saying it since 1996. Now I will reveal how this quote gotattributed to Bill Gates. Back about 7 or 8 years ago maybe a year earlier or a year later there were a group of us chatting on my board one night. As the conversation winded down there were just 2 of us. That member asked me if it was okay to post it and attribute the quote to Bill Gates? Figuring the quote did not mean much coming from Rick Schwartz, I said 'Sure, why not?' Judging by a response from a student domainer on DNF yesterday who was trying to verify this quote for a paper he was writing. What he actually did was verifiy that the quote would not mean much coming from me. He posted: 'Thanks Rick for the 'real story', I like the sentence, but I won't be able to use it, as the French audience I'm targeting (novelists, business people, University professors, etc.) do not know you.' The person that posted this wherever he did years ago is someone who may decide to come forward at some point. Somebody many of us know and it took me many years to remember who it was. (I think) So I have no idea how that would even be done, but he did it and it surprisingly has circulated and become fact from what I thought was a silly one time post somewhere. Either way, that is the REAL story just to set the record straight and for historical purposes long after we are all dead. But if the quote sounds better from Bill Gates and does more for the domain industry, so be it. Have a GREAT Day! Rick Schwartz

•••
The statement only applies to a tiny fraction of domain names in existence, that is the uberpremium ones.
The value of good domain names appreciates, while the bad domains stagnate or even decrease in value.

•••
The statement only applies to a tiny fraction of domain names in existence, that is the uberpremium ones.
The value of good domain names appreciates, while the bad domains stagnate or even decrease in value.

I totally agree...

•••
Not sure I would trust anything Bill Gates says.... To me he comes across as an evil mastermind of some sorts...lol. He seems like a person I would feel a strong urge to punch in the face. :)

•••

Please share your views.

It's an undocumented quote until you can provide the true source/interview from where this came from. JMO.

•••
Bill Gates also said "Two years from now, spam will be solved" — that was in 2004.

spam.jpg

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
He also had that paperless office prediction. Only thing missing was flying cars :laugh:

Seriously, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on his predictions.

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
He also had that paperless office prediction. Only thing missing was flying cars :laugh:

Seriously, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on his predictions.

Thanks,
Brandon

I would. Marketing talk aside, an insanely smart guy, a true curious autodidact.

•••
I think part of the statement is true " Domains have and will continue to go up in value" but not sure of the other part "faster than any other commodity ever known to man”.

•••
•••
but to answer to op s question

its already obvious that this was right
and I bet all my money
that it will continue

•••
it's a bit hard to say at which stage of evolution internet as a whole is now.
definitely not at the end of it. in fact very far from the end imo.
infancy stage some would say? maybe.. maybe advanced infancy..
maybe midway through... thats of course impossible to say.. without knowing future.

so let's put 2+2 together and realize internet is evolvign. growing each day.. with no end in sight.. and then consider the real value and importance of domain names.. in this endless ever growing field of internet. this should answer itself.

so because intenet is nowhere near its end, imo of course domains will increase in value. and I would not be suprised how they can be viewed by some as hottest commodity ever known to man.

of course like was said, not all dn have value. but # of ones that do could of course too evolve and increase in future. one thing I do not personally see evoling in future is ngtlds. and I think .com will only grow stronger and bigger in value in time! imo

•••
Gates said this about 15 years ago!

He was absolutely right regarding the short and one-word .COM names.

•••
•••
As the internet and economy continue its growth domains price will only go up.

•••
I agree with the part that says [Domains have and will continue to go up in value] to a certain extent.

The part that reads [faster than any other commodity ever known to man] is something I would rather not comment on. This part of the statement is much too bold for a professional to make (more suited for someone who's in the "medium" or "fortune teller" industry).

Unfortunately, the currencies we use and the market for these digital assets are both susceptible to economic factors (eg. recessions) which indirectly affects the demand, speed and frequency at which investments are made in the domain industry. So thinking (continuously) in the short-term, I disagree because it's an impossibilty.

However, like real estate property, even though there are downturns in the economy, it continues to grow in value over the long-term. So in the case of "digital property", there's hardly much difference.

IMO, technically the statement (whomever said it first) is inaccurate - but on a broader scale (like with actual real estate) the long-term value of Domain (Names) will always be on the up.

BTW: great referral-link to use when educating end-users/buyers about the value of a domain, and why it's worth investing in.

•••
absolutely perfect and golden statement.

•••
Not sure I would trust anything Bill Gates says.... To me he comes across as an evil mastermind of some sorts...lol. He seems like a person I would feel a strong urge to punch in the face. :)

I didn't understand why you would say such a thing until I saw the picture @Brandon.Domains posted. LOL I think I would have the same urge.

•••
It's time to see a decent seven or eight figure short dotcom sale again, then we have confirmation. There's probably an issue with nondisclosure veiling the real numbers. See the moving average on the bottom of the page here : https://namebio.com/?s=gM4EDNyYDN

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back