IT.COM

Do you agree Bill Gates's statement that Domains have and will continue to go up in value faster...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Haroon Basha

Service.xyzTop Member
Impact
Once Bill Gates said "Domains have and will continue to go up in value faster than any other commodity ever known to man”

Is this statement holds good today?
Please share your views.

Related:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Bill Gates also said "Two years from now, spam will be solved" — that was in 2004.

spam.jpg

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
"I hate cheesecake."
-Albert Einstein.

•••
The statement only applies to a tiny fraction of domain names in existence, that is the uberpremium ones.
The value of good domain names appreciates, while the bad domains stagnate or even decrease in value.

•••
He also had that paperless office prediction. Only thing missing was flying cars :laugh:

Seriously, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on his predictions.

Thanks,
Brandon

I would. Marketing talk aside, an insanely smart guy, a true curious autodidact.

•••
"I hate cheesecake."
-Albert Einstein.

He also had that paperless office prediction.

The problem with quotes is that they can easily be wrongly attributed, misconstrued. I don't mean any offence to @serhatkotan or @Brandon.Domains because we are all guilty of not doing our due diligence for conversation but the paperless office quote is widely attributed (including in journal articles) to George Pake in a business week article in 1975 and Albert Einstein actually said "I have cheesecake", in reference to when he solved a really difficult formula.

Quotes are great to discus though! I agree with @Aspiring Billionaire on this one.

•••
Who Really Said it? Just to set the record straight…..

The Domain King®

Morning Folks!! If you repeat something that is not factual long enough does it become Fact? I have read in countless places something that just is not accurate and has been repeated for many years as fact. It is time to share the events that led to that. I hope you will indulge me while I tell you the real story as it really went down.
Over the years there has been much discussion about a quote I made that has been attributed to Bill Gates. The quote: 'Domains will go up faster in value than any other commodity ever known to mankind.' Did Bill Gates really say that?
In a word, No and as the late Paul Harvey would say 'Here is the rest of the story.'
First, that is my quote. Been saying it since 1996. Now I will reveal how this quote gotattributed to Bill Gates. Back about 7 or 8 years ago maybe a year earlier or a year later there were a group of us chatting on my board one night. As the conversation winded down there were just 2 of us. That member asked me if it was okay to post it and attribute the quote to Bill Gates? Figuring the quote did not mean much coming from Rick Schwartz, I said 'Sure, why not?' Judging by a response from a student domainer on DNF yesterday who was trying to verify this quote for a paper he was writing. What he actually did was verifiy that the quote would not mean much coming from me. He posted: 'Thanks Rick for the 'real story', I like the sentence, but I won't be able to use it, as the French audience I'm targeting (novelists, business people, University professors, etc.) do not know you.' The person that posted this wherever he did years ago is someone who may decide to come forward at some point. Somebody many of us know and it took me many years to remember who it was. (I think) So I have no idea how that would even be done, but he did it and it surprisingly has circulated and become fact from what I thought was a silly one time post somewhere. Either way, that is the REAL story just to set the record straight and for historical purposes long after we are all dead. But if the quote sounds better from Bill Gates and does more for the domain industry, so be it. Have a GREAT Day! Rick Schwartz

•••
Not sure I would trust anything Bill Gates says.... To me he comes across as an evil mastermind of some sorts...lol. He seems like a person I would feel a strong urge to punch in the face. :)

•••
There is nothing wrong with someone not being fluent in English, this actually means the person speaks more than one language. This is commendable.

What is not commendable is that you imply that if your English was better then you would have engaged in "war" with me. This sort of mindset is whats wrong with this world at the moment. People are far too confrontational, ready to stand up and fight and want to go to war over stupid insignificant issues.

I am not trying to do anything here except maybe lead you to read between the lines and not believe everything that you are told about people in the mass media.

Your "friend" Bill Gates is part of the elite who thinks that the Planet should have no more than 500 000 000 people in order for it to be sustainable. That's 500 million people, that's the ideal - This is something he as openly said. Right now we have in excess of 7.4 billion people. The elite which Bill gates is a part off, want to depopulate the planet. Do you think you will be part of the 500 million people they want to remain... Nope! So essentially the bottom line is that you are defending a person who would prefer it if you and I were dead.

Reading between the lines could also lead to interpretation in my opinion :)

I don't know the quote so I might be way off, but saying "The world would function better wit 500 million people" is not equal to "I would like it if 6.5 billion people were dead". I believe there are a few studies on world population and which have interesting insights, so it might be influenced by these researches. None of those researches have the intention to immediately scale back the population, but say it might go that way through evolution (people having fewer kids due to 2 parents with jobs, blablabla so at some point more people will die than be born if it goes on like this).

Just saying, I could be wrong but I don't think you or me would know the actual reasoning anyone has with such a statement, unless we could debate with him/her on it.

•••
•••
I think part of the statement is true " Domains have and will continue to go up in value" but not sure of the other part "faster than any other commodity ever known to man”.

•••
•••
I agree with the part that says [Domains have and will continue to go up in value] to a certain extent.

The part that reads [faster than any other commodity ever known to man] is something I would rather not comment on. This part of the statement is much too bold for a professional to make (more suited for someone who's in the "medium" or "fortune teller" industry).

Unfortunately, the currencies we use and the market for these digital assets are both susceptible to economic factors (eg. recessions) which indirectly affects the demand, speed and frequency at which investments are made in the domain industry. So thinking (continuously) in the short-term, I disagree because it's an impossibilty.

However, like real estate property, even though there are downturns in the economy, it continues to grow in value over the long-term. So in the case of "digital property", there's hardly much difference.

IMO, technically the statement (whomever said it first) is inaccurate - but on a broader scale (like with actual real estate) the long-term value of Domain (Names) will always be on the up.

BTW: great referral-link to use when educating end-users/buyers about the value of a domain, and why it's worth investing in.

•••
Not sure I would trust anything Bill Gates says.... To me he comes across as an evil mastermind of some sorts...lol. He seems like a person I would feel a strong urge to punch in the face. :)

I didn't understand why you would say such a thing until I saw the picture @Brandon.Domains posted. LOL I think I would have the same urge.

•••
...because we are all guilty of not doing our due diligence for conversation but the paperless office quote is widely attributed (including in journal articles) to George Pake in a business week article in 1975.

I did a bit of research before posting about the paperless office and knew that the concept was not new (hence the flying cars joke).

It's just that Bill Gates predicted it again before or after every home and office had a PC running his operating system and software (Office). But paper use actually increased.

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
I did a bit of research before posting about the paperless office and knew that the concept was not new (hence the flying cars joke).

It's just that Bill Gates predicted it again...

That's cool, I was carrying on your joke and the Einstein one and poking a bit of fun at quotes in general - as I think you were pointing out, lots of people say lots of things! Still, they tend to make interesting discussions.

•••

Wow. That was unexpected. Only the uneducated people could say that. Do you know how much this mane have done for the sake of human kind? A LOT.

•••
What has he done exactly? He has a company with 100K employees and many high up the chain are intelligent and the ones who come up with most of the ideas and changes for the products.

he didn 't start with 100k people
he wasn't born owning microsoft

the world didn't start using windows

in the beginning there was only hardware!
and every tiny hardware producer had his own operating system running
-an operating system is a program that makes the screen blink showing a "cursor"-

he has taken a huge personal risk when he bought
a tiny program from a programmer for as far as I recall $50K USD
in order to sell it to IBM
and call it Microsoft Disk Operating System - Ms DOS
used by IBM further on calling it IBM DOS
and enabled IBM to start something called personel computer
called PC lateron

and enable further on companies around the world
as they trusted IBM in terms of consistancy
to buy PCs for there company and run software made for business purpose
based on DOS

so that when other companes cloned the hardware of the IBM PC
suddenly a system called PC could conquer the world

thats not nothing right?

he had a bit of luck to be able to risk the $50K
as his parents were not poor
and a bit of luck to be at the right place at the right time
and to know to right people

would you have spend $50K
for a tiny program
hoping to sell it to a huge company?
( IBM )
being a nobody ??
when nobody was thinking of PCs at all worldwide?
as they simply didn't exist

and would you have been able to close the deal ???
being about 20 years or so of age????

what has he done?
he had guts!
to jump onto an oportunity

and changed the world forever

not nothing in my eyes

Last edited:
•••
he didn 't start with 100k people
he wasn't born owning microsoft

the world didn't start using windows

in the beginning there was only hardware!
and every tiny hardware producer had his own operating system running
-an operating system is a program that makes the screen blink showing a "cursor"-

he has taken a huge personal risk when he bought
a tiny program from a programmer for as far as I recall $50K USD
in order to sell it to IBM
and call it Microsoft Disk Operating System - Ms DOS
used by IBM further on calling it IBM DOS
and enabled IBM to start something called personel computer
called PC lateron

and enable further on companies around the world
as they trusted IBM in terms of consistancy
to buy PCs for there company and run software made for business purpose
based on DOS

so that when other companes cloned the hardware of the IBM PC
suddenly a system called PC could conquer the world

thats not nothing right?

he had a bit of luck to be able to risk the $50K
as his parents were not poor
and a bit of luck to be at the right place at the right time
and to know to right people

would you have spend $50K
for a tiny program
hoping to sell it to a huge company?
( IBM )
being a nobody ??
when nobody was thinking of PCs at all worldwide?
as they simply didn't exist

and would you have been able to close the deal ???
being about 20 years or so of age????

what has he done?
he had guts!
to jump onto an oportunity

and changed the world forever

not nothing in my eyes

i remember back in the day hospitals etc spending millions {before billions were billions}
on extremely expensive computer systems and different hospitals spending just as much on different expensive computer systems only to find that the computer systems could not communicate with each other and the public complaining what an absolute waste of money etc

but we take it for granted that most tech items communicate with each other

but back in the day when bill gates started microsoft the games back then werent xbox or playstation they were a board game called monopoly card games twister a mat with spots on and a football

yet back then black and white tv's were still being used and there was bill gates working on microsoft

its comparison today would be you or i designing a flying car that everyone in the world would want and to be able to manufacturer enough flying cars for everyone?

pie in the sky?

so was microsoft back then but it is only down to the vision of a guy called bill gates that we have a lot of the tech we have today

and much of the money he has made he is using to help those who cant help themselves via his and melindas foundation

another significant thing he did was to offer funding to a group of scientists? charities? i forget which but the funding if i remember rightly was given on the basis that they cooperate and share their findings on vaccines and medicine etc which personally doesnt benefit himself one bit?

and i'm sure he is either the founding member or at least a member of the club? that have decided to give considerable $billions each from some of the richest people on the planet to good causes? or the bill and melinda foundation?

the benefits of which may benefit generations to come

which he and they didnt have to do?

bill gates started off with nothing more than an idea and after he had the idea he had to buy er a domain name - even bill gates couldnt create microsoft without a domain name

•••
Bill Gates had wrong about the internet. He didn't think it will be used for commercial purpose. Soon after he changed his mind. That's why his statement is not specific. Which domains is he talking about?

Gates never said this. It is wrongly attributed to him. Just like most Albert Einstein quotes on the internet are fakes.

•••
•••
Okay my input to your question; maybe, maybe not. And yes if I sale one domain name for at least 7 to 8 figures ...

•••
The statement only applies to a tiny fraction of domain names in existence, that is the uberpremium ones.
The value of good domain names appreciates, while the bad domains stagnate or even decrease in value.

I totally agree...

•••
He also had that paperless office prediction. Only thing missing was flying cars :laugh:

Seriously, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on his predictions.

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back