Dynadot

Do domains really sell for near-ish their value?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm talking about the domain name value estimator here at Namepros. I've just tried a few domains that are available and it says that they're worth around $400 at wholesale value, and about $1400 at most. Now if I were to sell these domains, would I actually get that much, or what would I realistically be getting?

For example lets say I tried to sell 'SportsFootwear.net' and for examples sake lets say it's valued by the estimator at $400 wholesale, am I likely to get good offers?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Originally posted by N9ne
For example lets say I tried to sell 'SportsFootwear.net' and for examples sake lets say it's valued by the estimator at $400 wholesale, am I likely to get good offers?

'SportsFootwear.net'
High Retail: $25
Low Retail: $19
Wholesale: $6

I don't believe you'd get $400 in this hypothetical at the wholesale level, no. :o
What domain name are you referring to ... $400 - $1,400? Or, is that a combination of domains, and that's the total?
My recommendation would be to utilize this "tool", as well as your own research and the Namepros Appraisal's Forum to more accurately get a realistic "range" for potential sales at the wholesale level, IMHO.

Originally posted by CoolHost.com
This "tool" is but one more (and I believe, valuable) resource to better assist the Namepros community with assigning potential valuations to their domain names (namely, at the wholesale/reseller level). It's not an End user with money in hand approaching you with an offer ... but it can get you headed in that direction if used as a basis for further and ongoing research and marketing, IMHO.
Appraisals are also opinions, and results will vary.
B-)

Best of Luck, and see you in the Appraisals! :)

•••
I was just using SportsFootwear.net as a completely random example :).

•••
I was just using SportsFootwear.net as a completely random example :).

Ok, give me a completely unrandom one ... that you own. ;)

•••
hehe, see my thread '12 domains' in the appraisals forum, there's 12 unrandom domains in there :D

•••
hehe, see my thread '12 domains' in the appraisals forum, there's 12 unrandom domains in there :D

Good enough ... I'll likely be over that-a-way later this evening. :)
Thanks.

•••
You can sell them Easy like i said WWe Domains are Big ...

Find the Right sites and forums ;)

Good luck

•••
If you find the right user you can sell a domain for a good price, but Id say the majority of my domains are bought to develop and even ones that are appraised well like TakeCaution.com are only going to fetch about $20.

•••
Re: Do domains really sell for near-ish their value?

Do domains really sell for near-ish their value?

Yes and No.

IMO there are 3 levels of domain sales

1. Reseller
2. Broker
3. End User

1. Resellers usually aquire names that can turn 3-5 fold in a quick sale.
Note: Some of the successful domainers I know act as reseller and broker which eliminates the middle man but requires a lot of footwork and marketing skill.

2. Brokers typically have an established client/sales base of development firms, sales outlets, and end users.

3. End Users are what determine the domains ultimate resell value :) $Cha-$Ching

The beauty of the overall process is everybody ends up happy :)

If I were to give one piece of advice to a greenhorn domainer it would be as follows:

If you don't have a shload of money you may end up in worse financial shape than you already are. The old adage is true. "It takes money to make money".

If your starting out on a shoe-string budget or doing it for kicks keep in mind for every domain you reg or buy you should be able to turn it over for at least 3-5 more registrations.
Doesn't sound like big bucks but its what separates the people with hundreds of domains from the people with a handfull.

Before you know it. You may have a few jewels amongst the sand :)
Or maybe Not?

Either way, at least the registrars will appreciate you ;)

JMHO
Cheers!

•••
Re: Re: Do domains really sell for near-ish their value?

NameCaster has put on his Domain Sage hat again

Good Wisdom Dave ;)

The shoe-string method works
(takes more time)
You buy one name...
Sell it 3 to 5 times what you paid for it
Buy more names sell them
Reinvest the monies over and over

Your domain portfolio will grow exponentially

Originally posted by NameCaster

Before you know it. You may have a few jewels amongst the sand :)
Or maybe Not?

Keep Domianing
John :p

•••
NameCaster, well said. It also helps to consider the time tradeoff among those markets. Selling to resellers cheap should be fast, but selling to end users (either directly or through a broker) takes patience.

•••
Originally posted by bigboss
NameCaster has put on his Domain Sage hat again

Good Wisdom Dave ;)

The shoe-string method works
(takes more time)
You buy one name...
Sell it 3 to 5 times what you paid for it
Buy more names sell them
Reinvest the monies over and over

Your domain portfolio will grow exponentially

Keep Domianing
John :p

Thanks John :)

Originally posted by proproject
NameCaster, well said. It also helps to consider the time tradeoff among those markets. Selling to resellers cheap should be fast, but selling to end users (either directly or through a broker) takes patience.

Thanks Roger, I agree. "Patience is a Virtue" :)

The "time tradeoff" is another story though.
Especially if you go by the shoe-string method D-:
I certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone that they quit their day job and delve into the DN business.

IMO Most domainers do it for the excitement and love of the game. With persistence the monetary dividends may fall into place?

Cheers!

•••
I've been contacted a few times requesting prices on my Domains. The hard thing is figuring out if this person is a reseller or and end user. Resellers obviously want to pay the least possible where as the end user would certainly be willing to offer more.

I had a recent inquiry about DietMart.com , I tried to find some info on the interested buyer via the internet but couldn't find much on the person. I am sure the person was willing to pay like $200 but what if this was an end user planning to open Diet Marts accross the Country, I wouldn't want to sell the Domain for a couple hundred when it would actually be worth thousands if the buyer had major development and branding plans.

To me a serious end user with development plans should have no problem paying $5000+ for a Domain, figure they must have mager bucks behind a project of this size so whats $5000 dollars out of a $500,000 dollar project.

I emailed them back saying I wanted $1000+ and was told that it was more then what they where looking to pay. This was obviously not an end user or someone with big plans.

Mike

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back