IT.COM

advice DNS manipulation for non-parked domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dnk

Established Member
Impact
I had partly some developed some domain names and using webhosting, however sedoparking is showing some traffic daily, though name servers have not changed in the last month. The domains were initially pointing to sedo parking and then changed to hosting company name servers
Can anyone explain how the DNS manipulation is taking place for the domain name, how the name servers are getting changed automatically to show sedo traffic. I have screenshots of the sedo traffic .
Is traffic to websites, domain names being diverted and stolen, causing losses

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Offhand, one possible reason that comes to mind is that your hosting company is less than competent and replicated the old (i.e. Sedo's) DNS records in their nameservers instead od setting new records. Just double check where record(s) "A" points to now.

Last edited:
•••
You should register your names through a registration service rather than a hosting company, you can then control the DNS through your registration panel.

DNS entries are cached all over the net, and you won't get all of the traffic to your new hosting until all of the caches have updated. There is also a TTL (time to live) entry associated with DNS records, and these tell the servers how long and entry can remain valid. This is normally pretty low, and shouldn't be more than a day, but maybe a parking service wants to hang onto the traffic, and uses a larger value.

Another factor is the caching done by browsers and ISPs, some of those hang onto old records for days. It can be really annoying when you are updating web sites.

•••
This traffic is counting when some bots visit sedoparking.com/example.com
Forget about it... and forget about Sedo (except their Escrow).

•••
I forgot about that. It's why I've started to build mini-sites on add-on domains. If you sell the name without the website, then you can still reap the benefits from the sub-domain. :)

•••
I forgot about that. It's why I've started to build mini-sites on add-on domains. If you sell the name without the website, then you can still reap the benefits from the sub-domain. :)

Please make up your mind: add-on domains are usually how hosting companies refer to separate domains (gTLD's, ccTLD's) hosted under one account. Sub-domains are subordinated domains of a gTLD or ccTLD. Another words: sub-domains "belong" to the main domain. You sell that domain without a website, you still lose control where its sub-domains are pointed to if at all!

•••
The domain was registered with a domain registrar Bigrock, yet it is showing visitors , how do you monetize your mini sites? How many pages do you mini sites have ?

•••
Do you know how cpanel works? An add-on domain is contained in either a 3rd level sub-domain or a sub-directory of the main domain. The DNS handles the resolution and passes the surfer directly to the requested domain.

For example - BigEnds.com is an add-on domain for the domain RustyHorn.com. This means that entering BigEnds.com takes you straight to the sub-directory. Typing RustyHorn.com/BigEnds.com/ takes you directly to the same sub-directory. Selling the domain name, and removing the DNS entry doesn't remove the sub-directory, or the path to it.

•••
dont get confused. of course selling your bigendsdotcom will not delete something on your cpanel account. but you will not get redirect if the new owner change name server and DNS entry.. @dnk you sure already change ns and DNS entry?

•••
I usually only change name servers, I do not change DNS entries, I will check the same

•••
Back