Dynadot

Discuss your Epik Experience!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dande

Premium DomainsTop Member
Impact
I think Epik is building the best ever Domain Lander in the history of domaining, and it really needs to be talked about extensively. That's why I am creating this discussion thread. A lot of thought process really goes into the project. And I can see (for the first time) a landing page that is built from the stand point of domainers rather than for just the marketplace itself.

Everything you have ever dreamt of getting or seeing in a professional landing page can be found in the new Epik marketplace landing page design.

Some of my Favorites Features:

1. The ability to optimize your "domain for sale" landing page to actually rank on Google, displaying your sales pitch/domain description. I just did that with few of my generic domain names such as ASAP.TV, targeting certain keywords, and they are showing pretty well on Google. That's a huge plus in my marketing effort.

2. Being able to change background image is another huge one for me. If you are good with pictures and images, you will surely find this very useful. I did that with Nagasaki.org and the result was truly amazing, showing the city of Nagasaki right at the background.

There are too many positive features and I don't want to mention all of them, all alone :xf.grin::xf.grin:

So I am leaving you guys to share and discuss what you loves most or dislike about the new Epik marketplace and the landing pages.

The only negative for me is the checkout process. There are too many terms and conditions buttons to tick before checking out. It will be nice if they can streamline those into one beautiful big button :xf.cool:

They also need to place the checkout button directly under the payment options. Right now it is awkwardly place somewhere below at the sidebar, which I don't find cool at all.

Sales experience is also welcomed in this discussion. I haven't had any sells so far at Epik because I started using the marketplace just recently, but the future is looking so bright.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I really like this quote, Rob.

I know (and you know much more than me!) some have criticized having so many Epik-badged people on NamePros and so active, but I disagree. Even more impressive than the many innovations Epik has implemented, are in progress or are being considered, in my opinion, is the way you are a whole team of people, each with their own areas of responsibility and independence to speak, who are not afraid to interact with the domain community here.

I can't quite think of anywhere else, in any field, where users of a service can so readily provide suggestions, get answers from virtually an entire staff, and debate ideas. That is made possible by the strength of NamePros, both technically and as a community.

Individuals representing other companies here on NamePros have done amazing jobs. I hope that at least a few other companies will try following the same model of having many involved, though. I think the domain community could become a model for a new era of corporate interaction.

Anyway, I mainly just wanted to say I like the quote.

Bob

Thanks Bob.

It was never a plan to have a lot of Epik staff engaged on NP, but by hiring people who care about domains and then trusting their instincts as engaged citizens, you get empowered staff lifting up others.

I think @DanSanchez and @Gube have set a high standard, but keep an eye out for @Pat8, @DnFolk, and @Jess Robison who all have a high capacity for connecting dots.

Obviously the work as industry ombudspersons is uncompensated, but I do consider stewardship and humility to be mandatory ingredients of sustainable leadership.

If others follow our lead, I think that is great. I see some evidence that this might be happening and I applaud it, since increased multi-stakeholder engagement will be a positive for the community.

•••
We'll give that a look. What page was that found on?
It was MusicApplication (dot) com Epik lander (not mine, selected randomly from the marketplace list). All landers I checked are similar though, just with or without payment plan and contact elements. Agreement on payment terms is something that should be corrected. Also, on Russian pages the translation of "Whois Privacy services provided by Anonymize.com" is not good: provided is translated in incorrect form.

Last edited:
•••
It was MusicApplication (dot) com Epik lander (not mine, selected randomly from the marketplace list). All landers I checked are similar though, just with or without payment plan and contact elements. Agreement on payment terms is something that should be corrected. Also, on Russian pages the translation of "Whois Privacy services provided by Anonymize.com" is not good: provided is translated in incorrect form.

We will tune this up next week when the engineering and product teams are back to full power.

@vitigo

Last edited:
•••
OK edited. Just will inform Rob by DM about the issue.

Last edited:
•••
Hello. I just wanted to alert you that the url address bar for https://www.masterbucks.com/ shows a yellow alert with the following message:

"Connection not secure.
This page uses weak encryption."

This alert is showed in Firefox, not in Chrome.
Hope this helps!

@Tin Nguyen will audit.

Later this month DNEncrypt should be issuing certs in its own name.

In the meantime, the SSL is 2048 bit and working normally.

However noted to QA that on Firefox.

@Ala Dadan
@vitigo

Last edited:
•••
It has many languages:
Anything you get translated into Russian, feel free to send to me for proofreading. I'm a pro editor, was my last occupation before full time SEO and domaining.

Added: Also my brother owns a translation and localization agency for tech documentation into Russian

Last edited:
•••
I noticed today one of my domains with just under one month from expiration is locked 😬 what happens if someone wants to transfer out or sells it? Also when buying a domain off your marketplace you institute a 60 day lock which some places do not. That should be stressed more on the site. What if someone sells it somewhere else before the 60 days? These are not “friction free” policies.

Also can you give us the exact number of days after expiration before you snatch it from our account and it goes into a $90 redemption period? It looks to be like about only two weeks post expiration correct?

still waiting for an answer on why my domain that doesn’t expire for 24 days is locked to the registrar.

•••
still waiting for an answer on why my domain that doesn’t expire for 24 days is locked to the registrar.

As discussed privately, we released the auth code.

The record shows that the domain ownership changed on December 31.

The normal practice at ICANN-accredited registrars is to enforce a 60-day transfer lock.

This has been waived in this case.

As for @Raj V who took your ticket this morning, should have kept you apprised while seeking management consent.

For awareness, I believe most registars would have denied this transfer request. This 60-day lock is being waived because (1) you have other domains at Epik, and (2) are a known registrant on NP.

•••
My first escrow transaction at Epik is done. You can love @Rob Monster or hate him, but with one thing it's hard to argue- you won't find a CEO that's more hands on, efficient and dedicated in this industry. Weekend or weekday you can get stuff done at Epik. Responses are quick, feedback is heard and often implemented and you feel like your business is appreciated. Other registrars should take notice and up their game. Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
As discussed privately, we released the auth code.

The record shows that the domain ownership changed on December 31.

The normal practice at ICANN-accredited registrars is to enforce a 60-day transfer lock.

This has been waived in this case.

As for @Raj V who took your ticket this morning, should have kept you apprised while seeking management consent.

For awareness, I believe most registars would have denied this transfer request. This 60-day lock is being waived because (1) you have other domains at Epik, and (2) are a known registrant on NP.

There has been no change in ownership. I have owned this domain for years. The only thing that occurred was it was on nameliquidate for 4 days and did not sell.

•••
A notice of 'unlock' or 'account access' is a good idea as well...too many scammers out there trying to steal anything/everything so every additional layer of security helps.

I am posting this again as I can not recall if I had a response so sorry if it has been addressed here and I have missed it.

So, please let me know if this (email notice of unlock) has been or will be added in an update. I have not tested it by unlocking a domain, thought someone could offer an answer.

•••
I have been moving my domains at Namesilo to Epik with no problem. I like the idea that you can pay for the transfer of domains and then later get the authorization codes and do the actual transfer.

Question: I have domains expiring soon at Godaddy. They are all listed on Afternic with BIN prices to enjoy the fast transfer service. If I move them to Epik, does the 60-day lock activates on them? Will Afternic fast transfer be suspended and therefore these domains will no longer be available in Godaddy's registration path until after the 60 days?

•••
Will Afternic fast transfer be suspended
In any case, you will have to delete and re-add the whole Afternic listing(s). There is a "registrar" field (can be viewed by configuring what columns to show in domain list view @ afternic), and it is not editable. So, deleting the domains and adding them again is a must thing to let afternic detect the new registrar's name :( In Sedo the registrar can be selected in domain config though...

•••
In any case, you will have to delete and re-add the whole Afternic listing(s). There is a "registrar" field (can be viewed by configuring what columns to show in domain list view @ afternic), and it is not editable. So, deleting the domains and adding them again is a must thing to let afternic detect the new registrar's name :( In Sedo the registrar can be selected in domain config though...
Thanks for the tip! Didn't think about that...

•••
If I move them to Epik, does the 60-day lock activates on them?
What TLD, .com?
Verisign doesn't set any 60 day locks.
The same for Neustar and Donuts TLDs.
Only Afilias and CentralNic still use this prehistoric lock (serverTransferProhibited).

•••
Regarding registrars...
According to current ICANN IRTP - 60 day lock is fully optional, it is NOT mandatory nowadays.
So each registrar can use its own policy - to reject the transfer requests within 60 days or not.

•••
In any case, you will have to delete and re-add the whole Afternic listing(s)
Really? Wasn´t necessary for me as I posted here.

If I move them to Epik, does the 60-day lock activates on them? Will Afternic fast transfer be suspended
Feeling like a live test bot I had a transfer-out from Epik on behalf of Afternic today. The name was transfered to Epik 40 days ago and they told me
upload_2020-1-6_17-26-19.jpeg

•••
Wasn´t necessary for me as I posted here.
A great news indeed. Thank you @Blitzpotz ! Something new each day :) Still requires manual intervention from service@ , but it is better. Submitting domains again (csv upload) might not be an issue, but deleting them 1-by-1 before is something that I'd prefer to avoid. Thanks again!

Last edited:
•••
Is anyone else experiencing issue with marketplace.epik.com or specific landers loading?
Yes, periodically Epik works slowly... I have seen at least few times already...

•••
Since this thread became kinda "official" Epik thread, i would like to ask for some UX improvement: to get rid of these decimals in the marketplace settings... Who uses decimals in domain sales anyway? Or i don't understand something important.

And this hampers me to just click in a cell to place the cursor and then just type or paste the price... Here i need to double-click or ctrl+A to select those zeroes first. Waste of time and finger movements, really annoying...

0Czjdhp.png

JYErz6M.png

Thank you ))

•••
Probably, some folks prefer sales like $20.20
That's why... )

•••
Since this thread became kinda "official" Epik thread, i would like to ask for some UX improvement: to get rid of these decimals in the marketplace settings... Who uses decimals in domain sales anyway? Or i don't understand something important.

And this hampers me to just click in a cell to place the cursor and then just type or paste the price... Here i need to double-click or ctrl+A to select those zeroes first. Waste of time and finger movements, really annoying...

0Czjdhp.png

JYErz6M.png

Thank you ))

Good input.

Yes, this thread has become the official NP Community thread for continuous improvement of Epik products and services. It is also a thread for crowd-sourced user support, as evidenced today.

As for the feedback on default price points, fair point, those can be just blank fields. Should be an easy fix.

Engineering is back to full-power from Wednesday. We'll log this task. Should be updated soon.

@vitigo

•••
So I created an account at Epik for the first time the other day. Reason being, the domain I bought was at Epik and I didn't want to wait for a transfer out.

I listed the domain at GD auctions and I had some problem with the TXT verification (problem was on me, not epik). I sent an email to support and got a reply within minutes. I've never seen a faster reply by support with any company.

No extensive experience with Epik yet, but I can say the support seems to be very fast and very good.

•••
Congratulations, Rob :) This is a big change from September (the last available ICANN registry report) where it shows 350,536 domains in .com (most popular extension anyway). Epik must have gained a lot in Q4 2019. As a matter of curiosity, can you share who are most frequently losing registrars (the sources of incoming transfer-ins) in favor of Epik?

Thanks, we are making progress.

As for gain/loss analysis, it is here:

https://dropelf.com/stats/

The one big customer "loss" is a customer who had unused account credit at Namesilo, that they refused to refund him, so he burned the credit there on some renewals and is coming back on the next cycle.

@Gube produced this report. ICYMI, he is bringing some killer innovation to domain stats and they are showing up here:

https://nameinvestors.com/

He takes requests -- and like a great DJ, he keeps playing the hits.

•••
So I created an account at Epik for the first time the other day. Reason being, the domain I bought was at Epik and I didn't want to wait for a transfer out.

I listed the domain at GD auctions and I had some problem with the TXT verification (problem was on me, not epik). I sent an email to support and got a reply within minutes. I've never seen a faster reply by support with any company.

No extensive experience with Epik yet, but I can say the support seems to be very fast and very good.

It is getting better in more places around the world as we bring in trusted guys who know domaining and also who know the local language, local registries, and local domainers.

It is a process and sometimes a new hire drops the ball with a lame answer to a support ticket, but they do all get audited by experienced support people who then step in and clarify.

We are adding 1-3 people per week, and some of these folks are very quick studies who are on board to keep raising the bar while maintaining humility. Leadership is earned. We intend to earn it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back