IT.COM

DirectNic.com Random Account Disabled

NameSilo
Watch
Folks, Anyone on here had experience with Direct Nic randomly disabling accounts and requesting ID? I just bought two domain names and my account was disabled reason is I need to validate my account and they are requesting a copy of my Passport now I do not mind sending my ID but they are also advising this will be kept on file not comfortable storing my personal ID on file on a registrar's server with cyber hacking all over the place and I also get tremendous calls from India as soon as register names But I guess if domainers on here can Vouch for this practice then I can definitely go ahead and forward my details.. Any Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nope but their support sucks and is slower than a turtle in molasses.

•••
Folks, Anyone on here had experience with Direct Nic randomly disabling accounts and requesting ID? I just bought two domain names and my account was disabled reason is I need to validate my account and they are requesting a copy of my Passport now I do not mind sending my ID but they are also advising this will be kept on file not comfortable storing my personal ID on file on a registrar's server with cyber hacking all over the place and I also get tremendous calls from India as soon as register names But I guess if domainers on here can Vouch for this practice then I can definitely go ahead and forward my details.. Any Thoughts?

Yup. Happened to me too. Account disabled and request for national ID.
Edit: I am not comfortable with it either and so far I've resisted getting the account unlocked

•••
Same story here. I haven't used DirectNic before but signed up for the blackfriday promo. Bought 3 .Nets, paid, and then poof - "account locked please call ...". Opened the chat to see what the issue was, and the customer service rep immediately asks to send a copy of ID. Seems like generic reply, without any attempt to look at the account... send photo ID to accounts @directnic.something... Right, I have signed up to this random website, got account locked for no reason at the first purchase, and I am just about to send photo ID to this generic e-mail address, so everyone at DirectNIC can print a copy if they wish so. Asked if he can see the reason why account was flagged - there is another generic reply "anti-fraud". Then asked if he knows what could have caused anti-fraud - "below average transaction score". What? I got account unlocked then, without any explanation.

Now I understand it's blackfriday, and they are super over worked. But really, who asks to send IDs for no reason. I was never asked for ID by GoDaddy or NameCheap, after contacting them for all sorts of account issues. And they just want your ID first - and will figure out what to do next.

The only good thing it seems is that at least they have a chat open.

Last edited:
•••
There are helpful hints and more reviews about DirectNIC here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/com-net-4-17-registration-directnic-com.992706/

When the deal was first offered, there was no limit so there was a lot more interest, then they changed the limit to 3 each COM NET.

Overall, they are OK, it's really unfortunate they lock so many accounts, that's pretty unsettling. They are certainly not geared toward domainers, we just used them for the deals. There are many worse registrars though.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back