Domain Empire

.tv Ding Dong Daddy: Bob Parsons' Dot TV Warning.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MicroGuy

Miembro EspecialTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Len said:
Come on snoop!!!..... I thought you were smarter than to defend a blatant attack on .tv, Tulavu and Verisign with the sole purpose of trying to create a new "Godaddy Trend" in favour of .me! Do you think this is right for a registrar to do? Is a registrar not supposed to be impartial or do you not see anything wrong with questionable business practices.

Registrars can do what they like, just like any business they are free to say what they think of their own and others products, as long as those statements are not false. Bob Parson's statement is unusual but to suggest he has broken laws is absurd.

Len said:
As for my statement about Tulavu and verisign having a case against Godaddy. I believe that the largest registrar in the world - Godaddy - has a responsibility to ALL it's customers. I don't care that Parson's has decided to focus an ad campain on .me, that is his choice, but to knock another ext to do it is out of order and borders on slander. Not only is he saying that Tulavu is sinking, he implies that .tv will disappear along with Tulavu and that the ext will be worthless.

In law, defamation (also called calumny, libel, slander, and vilification) is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image.

The island is actually sinking! That has been known for a long time.

Please state exactly what the "false claim" is by Godaddy.

Len said:
In my previous post in which I said "This is like Sears or Walmart having both Sony and Toshiba products for sale and the CEO saying don't buy Toshiba because Sony is better??
As soon as the shareholders got wind of this the CEO would soon be looking for a new job!"

Maybe I should have been a little more specific .... Do you really think that a CEO of one of those companies could make a video that included the above statement and still expect Toshiba's business? Is that the way to keep customers, shareholders and your business partners happy?
Anyone that thinks this is ok would not last long in the real world of business.

That is all it is really about, the part I have bolded......annoying the supplier.

The most obvious point from this discussion in my view is that domainers seem to take is personally when someone insults an extension, it is just business, people can say what they like, get over it. Registrars don't owe you anything, they are selling you a product, that is it.

•••
welcome back dr snoop, we so missed you

•••
snoop said:
The most obvious point from this discussion in my view is that domainers seem to take is personally when someone insults an extension, it is just business, people can say what they like, get over it. Registrars don't owe you anything, they are selling you a product, that is it.

I thought the video was vintage Bob Parsons. You either like him or hate him. There is no in between. I personally like him, and don't think his video will have any effect on the dot tv name, other than maybe a few "border line" .tv names will get dropped. Bob Parson knows this. The other thing he understands is how videos get spread. His core customers are probably domainers. He knows this video will get sent around the net. If he didn't use a provocative proposition such as ".TV will someday sink"... the ad would have gone unnoticed. In the meantime you are spreading this video, and a few more dot .me names will get sold. My guess is the profit margin on dot ME's are pretty good, so again, like someone said. This is business, and somewhat personal against Verisign. (That used to be a good thing, and it still is. Think if there was only Verisign)

So, don't be frightened. Do however have a diverse portfolio. Owning 500 .tv names only serves to make someone else rich.

In 2009 start thinking smarter. Don't hoard. Sell when you get the chance, and above all. Think .com

By the way. I do own a few .tv names, but don't really use them. I plan to in the near future. One's Dumber.tv and the other is Biased.tv (both are going to have a comedy theme).

Last edited:
•••
snoop said:
The island is actually sinking! That has been known for a long time.

Please state exactly what the "false claim" is by Godaddy.

How dumb can you be? Did they teach you that 'fact' at Tandy?

Even my 8-year old daughter knows that the island of Tuvalu is NOT sinking.

Instead, the oceans are rising!

One of the reasons for this is 'too much hot air'!

How many TV's you own Snoop? More or less than last year?

•••
:o lol

guess the dr made a mistake.... :wave:

•••
Jimbojimbo said:
How dumb can you be? Did they teach you that 'fact' at Tandy?

Even my 8-year old daughter knows that the island of Tuvalu is NOT sinking.
Great comeback. Debating at its finest from the .TV domainer of the year. :guilty:

•••
I thought the video was pretty funny, not surprised Bob is moving on from .tv to .me...he's bound to do the same thing many more times and cash in again and again. it wasn't long ago that he was pushing .name all over! Can't say I feel threatened by his new stance but probably have to move my .tv to somewhere cheaper now if he is going to keep the prices up.

•••
Wherez Al Gore when you need him ?

•••
newBtv said:
Wherez Al Gore when you need him ?
Yeah. Where's the Goremeister when you need him! We sure could use him this morning in Greenwood, SC. :D

snow.jpg

( Just took this from front porch. It's not supposed to snow here! D-: )

•••
lol, come up to the hood greg and our snow fall is double the amount compared to last year right now...

sorry dont feel sorry for you, lol

•••
Im sitten here in West Palm Beach.. it got down to 48 last nite.. not a pretty site I tell yeah..

•••
In all honestly, I think the sound of it is funny/coarse....

"DOT ME, DOT ME!!! , Well Dot YOU too, buddy"

The new way to say the F bomb?

Thanks Bob

•••
... don't think his video will have any effect on the dot tv name, other than maybe a few "border line" .tv names will get dropped.

or transferred. :)

•••
•••
no, bob did not break any actual laws, he did not say anything false, and yes, he can do as he pleases.
it is still wacky and does kinda make you go hmmmmmmmm.
he goes on in the video that tuvalu is sinking- so now .tv is stinky.
i am SURE he does not think that we all think that he did NOT know this information before this video.
which makes all the more weird and obvious that something gave somewhere along the line behind the scenes- either way it makes him look unstable.
but we knew that about him all along.

•••
So happy to see you posting again, Smash!

Makes me feel like Bobbo is just a lonely fly on a huge wall, don't mean nothin' to me at all.

I see that you posted now that we have a new commander-in-chief. Does that mean we will be able to read more of your posts and ideas. I always got a lot out of them and hope you will be able to help us out even more!

•••
The Hawaiian Islands are sinking (as all islands do over time) - does this mean we should stop tourists from going there?

•••
snoop said:
Registrars can do what they like, just like any business they are free to say what they think of their own and others products, as long as those statements are not false.

Like this false statment like the following taken from Godaddy you mean?

.ws Easy to remember TLD stands for Web Site

two lies in one small sentence.

•••
StoneRoses said:

Yeah, I noticed that too..... Not a mention about it actually being the ccTLD for Western Samoa!! Maybe his next project will be promoting .ca's as "dot California"?

•••
glad to see your back smash..cheers and to a wonderful 09 to you!

•••
StoneRoses said:

EXACTLY!

.ws is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Samoa NOT "web site"!

It's absolutely ridiculous how registrars are being allowed to promote OTHER PEOPLE'S country code domain extensions for their own personal agenas. It shows no repsect for the people of these countries. If I were Samoan, Montenegran, etc. I'd be very pissed off.

Does .us stand for "Us" or the United States? It's absolute BS!!

•••
great snoop is back, cant wait see how the dr defends his stuff, lol.

•••
smashfactory said:
no, bob did not break any actual laws, he did not say anything false, and yes, he can do as he pleases.
it is still wacky and does kinda make you go hmmmmmmmm.
he goes on in the video that tuvalu is sinking- so now .tv is stinky.
i am SURE he does not think that we all think that he did NOT know this information before this video.
which makes all the more weird and obvious that something gave somewhere along the line behind the scenes- either way it makes him look unstable.
but we knew that about him all along.

I think that sums it up well. Wacky and that is about it.

StoneRoses said:

It is no different to people here claiming .tv means television. Not sure I would go as far as saying the above is a lie.

•••
The issue IMO is one of fraudulent marketing on behalf of Godaddy. Sure, Bob can say whatever he wants as far as his opinions. It is also clear about his vested interest in the .me TLD which in and of itself is fine.

However, the manner in which he is choosing to be vindictive could be leaving him and his company legally responsible in the following way. For a longtime Godaddy was marketing and selling .tv domains based on the Godaddy statements that .TV means "TV" and "video" and that is the reason to buy the domain. Godaddy had a marketing campaign for this specific purpose that has been prominently featured for a long time. It is fair to say when the largest registrar tells you in good faith that this is the description and meaning of the product you are buying then it goes into the logical decision making process of buying the product. Furthermore, based on Godaddy's statements, it can also be concluded by a logical person that these statements reflect the overall value of what you are buying, which is based on Godaddy's proclamations as to what the TLD means and how it is used. These factors clearly have a direct effect on the decision to chose and buy a TLD. Simply put, it is logical that many people bought .tv domains in part due to the marketing. statements, and usage by Godaddy as to the meaning and value of the product they were buying. Godaddy's huge market position and influence cannot be ignored in terms of the weight that the above actions carry.

Now, after spending a great deal of time and money marketing this message, Godaddy is telling its very same costumers that were in effect mislead by the former product description and marketing campaign. In fact, the .TV domain is simply a country code that is in danger of being swept away. Now, if you try to reg a .tv domain, it shows you .me and gives reasons why .TV should not be used to mean "Video" and that in fact .tv is actually a country code, pushing the message that it in no way is really suppose to mean "TV" or "Video". Godaddy is saying that .TV is not intended to mean the very exact thing they have been telling costumers that it does mean and based their reason for buying the TLD.

Whether they want to claim .me is for video is up to them, but to go out the way to change the meaning and value of the product their costumers have been buying BASED on Godday statements and usage, to me cries out for a class action lawsuit. Bob himself was using .TV to mean video on his blog as part of the marketing campaign. This was a reason some felt comfortable buying .TV domains. Now instead of simply changing to .me which he is entitled to do, he is claiming his use of .TV was a fraud from day one. Clearly he mislead his customers based on what he is now saying.

To be clear, I am not an attorney, but I welcome any thoughts on this matter from any out there. My point in posting was to focus on the real issue here which is the fraudulent marketing of .TV IMO and the harm it is doing to its own customers, while Bob seems blinded by some personal vendetta.

•••
Thinking about it, I wonder if this is even legal?

Who is making the decisions to allow .WS to be promoted as "Web Site" and .ME to be promoted as "Me"..?

Is it VeriSign?
VeriSign, Inc. (NASDAQ: VRSN) is an American company based in Mountain View, California that operates a diverse array of network infrastructure, including two of the Internet's thirteen root nameservers, the generic top-level domains for .com and .net, one of the largest SS7 signaling networks in North America, and the RFID directory for EPCGlobal.

Did they get the permission from all of the people of these countries?

What about Samoa and Montenegro???

:sick:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back