Dynadot

.tv Ding Dong Daddy: Bob Parsons' Dot TV Warning.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MicroGuy

Miembro EspecialTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
exsedo said:
The thing I would like to know is this. When you build a site with dotME google targets Montenegro automatically, is it the same with dotTV, is it automatically targeted to Tavula Islands ?

For .TV, it's like .com, .net, .org and other gtld.
You get to select which geo you want to target in the google webmasters tool unlike other ccTLDs.

It seems like .me is targeted to specifically Montenegro.
To make sure, if you have .me name, go to your google webmaster tools and see where the domain is targeted.

•••
Hi All,
I have to say I am VERY disappointed with Bobs tactics on .tv. Makes no sense to me. I made a short post on his blog, waiting for it to show up.
Poor judgement and bad business. I have alot invested in .tv.

He should of just moved on without the comments about .tv. All he said in the blog in his defense was the statement was made "tongue n cheek".

I am still shaking my head, I can't believe he was so ........ I don't even know the word I am looking for.

Thanks to those who posted on Bobs blog in defense of .tv.

Judy

•••
exsedo said:
The thing I would like to know is this. When you build a site with dotME google targets Montenegro automatically, is it the same with dotTV, is it automatically targeted to Tavula Islands ?
Steve, could you tell how and where you see that "with dotME google targets Montenegro automatically"? Although I have some sites in google webmasters I have never seen this GEO targeting.

•••
lincolndsp said:
Steve, could you tell how and where you see that "with dotME google targets Montenegro automatically"? Although I have some sites in google webmasters I have never seen this GEO targeting.

Once you go to:
http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

1) Log in
2) Add your website
3) Verify your website
4) Go to "Settings" in the menu
5) look at "Geographic target" and see where the name is targeted to.

For .TV, it's global like .com, .net, .org unless you target it to specific location.

This can mean that you have a pretty much equal chance in search engine optimization and ranking for .TV as .com and other gTLDs.

Last edited:
•••
mrdomainman said:
Once you go to:
http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

1) Log in
2) Add your website
3) Verify your website
4) Go to "Settings" in the menu
5) look at "Geographic target" and see where the name is targeted to.

For .TV, it's global like .com, .net, .org unless you target it to specific location.

This can mean that you have a pretty much equal chance in search engine optimization and ranking for .TV as .com and other gTLDs.
from my observations: if a user does not set to filter the results from a specific region when performing search, all tlds are shown in the results if the query language is the same as the site's language. The IP address provided by hosting-provider is also considered by Google as far as I know.
So here's where I am leading, if the .me site is in French, say amor.me and IP address is in France too, than I do not see any obstacles for it unless the user wants results from France.

Please correct me if you have a different experience. And thank you for showing me the thing I wanted to know:)

Last edited:
•••
lincolndsp said:
from my observations: if a user does not set to filter the results from a specific region when performing search, all tlds are shown in the results if the query language is the same as the site's language. The IP address provided by hosting-provider is also considered by Google as far as I know.
So here's where I am leading, if the .me site is in French, say amor.me and IP address is in France too, than I do not see any obstacles for it unless the user wants results from France.

Please correct me if you have a different experience. And thank you for showing me the thing I wanted to know:)

There are multiple factors that determine the ranking.

Like you said, IP address (Where the host is located), TLD (location specificity if you input in Google webmaster tools for gTLD) and more.

•••
Len said:
What need's to be pointed out here is that Tuvalu effectively leased their country code right's to Verisign for a certain period of time. Verisign therefore can brand .tv however they choose as it is technically not the ccTLD for Tulavu during the lifetime of this lease.
That is why when you type in your browser www.nic.tv you are redirected to www.tv - Verisign! This doesn't happen with other ccTLD's, www.nic.us, www.nic.me etc.
Hmm, thanks for the info...

Last edited:
•••
ChefPatrick posts on .tv & godaddy issues

hi,

good read patrick and thanks in bringing this to the domainer world attentions and awareness to the community.. makes you want to go hmm in parsons hidden objectives on .tv... there is another thread on this as well...

if godaddy parsons claims he is busy, but yet he went on record saying he isnt really busy, how many times does he do this today, his company, 3 second change of tone, yes, no, maybe... the true character is coming out on him...

disclaimer i am a customer of godaddy(a very good customer of godaddy since 03 i believe and in the future i may not be...)

http://www.chefpatrick.com/

thought you guys want to read this

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the info.

Definitely a marketing trick to promote .ME .
When the buzz is over with .me, Mr Bob will start promoting .tv again for sure!

It's all about money for these guys, if they can make more on selling .ME then .TV, they'll axe the .TV extension like Paris Hilton's grandfather axed her multi billion inheritance (poor girl!..........yeah right! :p )

•••
b2b said:
Mr Bob will start promoting .tv again for sure!
Do you still have her number? :D

ball1.png

•••
oh that's too funny microguy.

thanks jeff for pointing out my article. you guys speak, i answer :)

•••
Patrick your the best and great to have a fellow .tv owner and great domain blogger who sees things the way they are.

Love your blog. Your .tv is looking good!

•••
think equity had just brought the thread into here and make it all on one ...sorry ray..

•••
if it makes anyone feel better- from what i understand bob will be fully backing a new extension- one he feels is close to his heart-

.dork

:lol:

•••
smashfactory said:
if it makes anyone feel better- from what i understand bob will be fully backing a new extension- one he feels is close to his heart-

.dork

:lol:

The Queen, in full regalia, returns to the Kingdom, observes the changed terrain, make an apt comment, then returns to her 'otherworld' venture.

A moment in time shared for all, and enough to last us through the coldest of winters.

Long Live The Queen of Domainland! May her memory never die.

•••
you are such a noodle :p

someone just emailed me a few minutes ago- made fun of my tv's- it was signed: dork

hmmmm, could be on bobs payroll

•••
I love .tv .com, .org. .me, .mobi --- especially if the sites use these fantastic exensions for innovative and user-friendly development

Ladies and Gents, it takes a lot of work in this field to succeed - any great site developed utilizing any extension is a great accomplishment in my book,like writing a screenplay, creating a sculpture, having a child, climbing Everest, running the Amazon, building a house --

all of you whom invest time and resources, best of luck!

•••
BobParsons.sued

brian berke summed it up pretty well on bob's blog;
QUOTE:
"The issue IMO is one of fraudulent marketing on behalf of Godaddy. Sure, Bob can say whatever he wants as far as his opinions. It is also clear about his vested interest in the .me TLD which in and of itself is fine.

However, the manner in which he is choosing to be vindictive could be leaving him and his company legally responsible in the following way. For a longtime Godaddy was marketing and selling .tv domains based on the Godaddy statements that .TV means "TV" and "video" and that is the reason to buy the domain. Godaddy had a marketing campaign for this specific purpose that has been prominently featured for a long time. It is fair to say when the largest registrar tells you in good faith that this is the description and meaning of the product you are buying then it goes into the logical decision making process of buying the product. Furthermore, based on Godaddy's statements, it can also be concluded by a logical person that these statements reflect the overall value of what you are buying, which is based on Godaddy's proclamations as to what the TLD means and how it is used. These factors clearly have a direct effect on the decision to chose and buy a TLD. Simply put, it is logical that many people bought .tv domains in part due to the marketing. statements, and usage by Godaddy as to the meaning and value of the product they were buying. Godaddy's huge market position and influence cannot be ignored in terms of the weight that the above actions carry.

Now, after spending a great deal of time and money marketing this message, Godaddy is telling its very same costumers that were in effect mislead by the former product description and marketing campaign. In fact, the .TV domain is simply a country code that is in danger of being swept away. Now, if you try to reg a .tv domain, it shows you .me and gives reasons why .TV should not be used to mean "Video" and that in fact .tv is actually a country code, pushing the message that it in no way is really suppose to mean "TV" or "Video". Godaddy is saying that .TV is not intended to mean the very exact thing they have been telling costumers that it does mean and based their reason for buying the TLD.

Whether they want to claim .me is for video is up to them, but to go out the way to change the meaning and value of the product their costumers have been buying BASED on Godday statements and usage, to me cries out for a class action lawsuit. Bob himself was using .TV to mean video on his blog as part of the marketing campaign. This was a reason some felt comfortable buying .TV domains. Now instead of simply changing to .me which he is entitled to do, he is claiming his use of .TV was a fraud from day one. Clearly he mislead his customers based on what he is now saying." END QUOTE

i personally own .tv names such as ThatsHot.TV that i purchased from Godaddy...he has killed the value of my names and thinks i will all go away quietly.
i don't know about everyone else...but after him telling me on the january 8 2009 blog that he would not post any more of my comments or questions and to basically shut up and that he was tired of talking to me on this issue (as i had pleaded with him to basically change his stance on .tv for the value of all of our .tv names)...i contacted my attorney. my attorney was the lead counsel for the beef producers that sued oprah winfrey..oprah won the suit but only because the beef producers rejected her $5,000,000.00(million) settlement offer. they didnt want her money ...they wanted her to retract her comments about beef. the public had no idea she offered up the $5 million. bob is going to be .screwed!.....anyone want to get on the class action lawsuit bus?
randy

vJRB said:
Hmm, thanks for the info...
the verisign contract runs out in 2012 if i am not mistaken...another fact that godaddy did not reveal when selling .tv

•••
Any who claims what GoDaddy is doing has any legal ramifications is naive and has very little business sense.

•••
localexperts said:
Any who claims what GoDaddy is doing has any legal ramifications is naive and has very little business sense.

At first I would think Rodeo Cowboy has some good points, but then if you think about it if an investment broker was screaming for a year about a certain stock that you should buy and then a year later screams the opposite, he can claim that yes, at the time in good faith I promoted that stock, but for x,y and z reasons I now feel that you should not buy that stock, but buy another stock. Just because Bob was gung ho on .tv and thought that it was perfect for online video (which we all know), doesn't mean he has to keep that position or can't do a 180 on it. The question is what are the x,y, and z reasons and are they real or mostly because of his bottom line.

•••
•••
.tv

richard,
yes i agree that bob has the right to decide not to buy xyz stock...but he does not have the right to outright try to devalue the stock. he could have simply put up a notice of what was going on with tuvalu as well as posted some of the many legal opinions as to why .tv will survive no matter what happens to tuvalu. he could have promoted calm so as not to devalue the stock value of .tv ...he has a legal duty to try to protect the interest of his clients. and when he was promoting .tv as a media/television extension...if he knew that tuvalu was sinking but did not declare this information until after he promoted .tv and took the money from .tv buyers...he has a huge problem. keep in mind that tuvalu and the fact that it is sinking was never mentioned at godaddy until for whatever reason he got pissed at verisign(as is obvious in his video) and changed the entire website where you buy .tvs.
it has been stated that bob wanted exclusive rights to market .tv from verisign and when he didn't get it....boom!

•••
The stock market is a regulated market. Domains are not a regulated market. Suppose I'm a sales person of Company A. I switch to a competitor Company B. I call up a client and trash Company A. It happens all the time. This is not stocks.

How far does this go. Shall we start suing each other. Some on here have pumped up DOT TV while privately selling their DOT TVs to other members. Should we sue these members for market manipulation?

•••
i am aware that this is not stocks...but all contracts including the purchase of domain names have an implied moral clause...i am not mad that bob parsons switched to .me...i am mad that he devalued my.tv names that he sold me by the way he is doing it. it simply did not have to be that way. because he is the largest registrar his action to dump .tv in the way he did it has single-handedly devalued .tv...if you had big money invested in something that someone sold you and then that same person told your potential customer for the same product that the product was defunct....what would you suggest?...eat the losses and simply move on? in my opinion..you wouldn't be in business very long. and in this country(USA) we only have the law to recover such damages...because i don't think bob is going to refund me in the amount of what my names were worth before he did this. do you?

•••
RodeoCowboy007 said:
richard,
yes i agree that bob has the right to decide not to buy xyz stock...but he does not have the right to outright try to devalue the stock. he could have simply put up a notice of what was going on with tuvalu as well as posted some of the many legal opinions as to why .tv will survive no matter what happens to tuvalu. he could have promoted calm so as not to devalue the stock value of .tv ...he has a legal duty to try to protect the interest of his clients. and when he was promoting .tv as a media/television extension...if he knew that tuvalu was sinking but did not declare this information until after he promoted .tv and took the money from .tv buyers...he has a huge problem. keep in mind that tuvalu and the fact that it is sinking was never mentioned at godaddy until for whatever reason he got pissed at verisign(as is obvious in his video) and changed the entire website where you buy .tvs.
it has been stated that bob wanted exclusive rights to market .tv from verisign and when he didn't get it....boom!

I agree with you Rodeo and I would and am also pissed, I'm just saying suing him would be tough to win in my opinion.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back