Domain Empire

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
exactly when payment made etc... no body cares.

but this does raise intereting point... all those sites that list sales on namebio.... or elsewhere.. sedo.. flippa... gd... how do they handle or ask for what seller wants.. or what buyer wants... is it in the terms somewhere? there is certainly no yes/no setting anywhere there.
anyone knows this? i guess dan can apply same method then...
or go a step further if they need to... and ask in settings.

•••
exactly when payment made etc... no body cares.

but this does raise intereting point... all those sites that list sales on namebio.... or elsewhere.. sedo.. flippa... gd... how do they handle or ask for what seller wants.. or what buyer wants... is it in the terms somewhere? there is certainly no yes/no setting anywhere there.
anyone knows this? i guess dan can apply same method then...
or go a step further if they need to... and ask in settings.
Sedo used to charge a fee to withhold the sale, not sure if that is still in play, and back in the day flippa used to charge $30 to keep the sale private also.

•••
Sedo used to charge a fee to withhold the sale, not sure if that is still in play, and back in the day flippa used to charge $30 to keep the sale private also.

intresting.. didn't know... wonder what the biggest of them all does.. godad
probably nothing?
or maybe smallprint in terms..
but holy crap lol! imagine that! being asked to pay $30 to keep your sale private! wow!
either way.. i stil believe itd be amazing for all of us .. given how many of us have problems selling just from dan market with no parking page... if dan.com showed up on namebio like 10 times each day.

too cool. prretty plz? @LaszloSchenk ty.

Last edited:
•••
I wouldn't share any of my sales. Keep it private. Thank you @DAN.COM for the great service.👍

•••
Ok Laszlo, i request you share my Dan sales to Namebio if sell. I’m a “user” is that possible?
Add the data to NB, it would help industry while showing how robust, the Dan market is.

No offence but this is beyond silly. Just reading this whole thread and I'm amazed how much BS these guys at DAN can take from any someone here. "Hey Dan, do this, do that, I don't like this, I want this changed, blah, blah"

DAN stated on several ocassions that won't share the sale data yet people keep pushing it for some reason. When you register on a marketplace you have to abide by its rules and TOS, don't like the house rules just flock off to some other place... and no, it won't help the industry it will only help the little rats who see you sold MyBooks.com and they'll flood buyer's inbox with "Hello Sir, you buy my BestMyBooks domain?" DAN doesn't need to show anyone how robust as a market is, this is something that any seller knows (or not) based on his number of sales.

Ultimately, the decision to publicly disclose a sale should be buyer's not seller's - this should be the norm not the exception. If I get a domain I might want to keep it quite until I'll develop and launch something on it, no need to brag that I paid $200 or $900 for a startup name which might value six or seven figures in two years time, just saying...

•••
No offence but this is beyond silly. Just reading this whole thread and I'm amazed how much BS these guys at DAN can take from any someone here. "Hey Dan, do this, do that, I don't like this, I want this changed, blah, blah"

DAN stated on several ocassions that won't share the sale data yet people keep pushing it for some reason. When you register on a marketplace you have to abide by its rules and TOS, don't like the house rules just flock off to some other place... and no, it won't help the industry it will only help the little rats who see you sold MyBooks.com and they'll flood buyer's inbox with "Hello Sir, you buy my BestMyBooks domain?" DAN doesn't need to show anyone how robust as a market is, this is something that any seller knows (or not) based on his number of sales.

Ultimately, the decision to publicly disclose a sale should be buyer's not seller's - this should be the norm not the exception. If I get a domain I might want to keep it quite until I'll develop and launch something on it, no need to brag that I paid $200 or $900 for a startup name which might value six or seven figures in two years time, just saying...

relax... every market does it.
when thats the case then you got no case.
and well.. neither does dan really.
easy on the BS calling mate.. if u think u can have free speech then so can everyone else.
cheers

Last edited:
•••
Good morning all,

For the past years, we have been urged not to publish any details publicly. Indeed, the majority of the marketplaces charge you to keep details private and we at DAN.COM found it strange one needed to pay to receive this as a service. As we did not agree to this and noticed the desire to keep it private we made this the standard and offered it for free.

The desire some might have to do have it published is made clear. I will forward the remarks to our team and we will discuss it internally. As indicated by @loredan both buyer and seller are involved in the decision-making process which needs to be considered carefully.

Have a great day!

•••
Either buyer or seller on Sedo can ask for a sale to be kept private at no cost, and you can have a Sedo account set to keep all sales private by default.

To publish sales you would need consent of both buyer and seller. If you really are going to consider that, which is a bad idea, make it so after a sale buyer or seller can ask the other party if they are willing to publish and it only happens if both of them and Dan.com agree to publish.

Godaddy/Afternic do not publish sales, though some appear indirectly on the Godaddy valuation tool's results. Not sure if they will now stop publishing Uniregistry sales.

•••
Either buyer or seller on Sedo can ask for a sale to be kept private at no cost, and you can have a Sedo account set to keep all sales private by default.

To publish sales you would need consent of both buyer and seller. If you really are going to consider that, which is a bad idea, make it so after a sale buyer or seller can ask the other party if they are willing to publish and it only happens if both of them and Dan.com agree to publish.

Godaddy/Afternic do not publish sales, though some appear indirectly on the Godaddy valuation tool's results. Not sure if they will now stop publishing Uniregistry sales.

there are tons of gd sales daily on namebio... what do you mean gd does not publish them? is it coincidence? or does someone publish them without gd consent? cheers

•••
Good morning all,

For the past years, we have been urged not to publish any details publicly. Indeed, the majority of the marketplaces charge you to keep details private and we at DAN.COM found it strange one needed to pay to receive this as a service. As we did not agree to this and noticed the desire to keep it private we made this the standard and offered it for free.

The desire some might have to do have it published is made clear. I will forward the remarks to our team and we will discuss it internally. As indicated by @loredan both buyer and seller are involved in the decision-making process which needs to be considered carefully.

Have a great day!

to me its about publicity for dan.com
i think you also made it clear that you do and will strive to increase publicity for your market.. so that more people can come to your marketplace to find and buy names etc. asit stands now, myself and many others, do not find your domain marketplace (without sale lander) exposure sufficient and generating enough sales. for many, it basically happens literally NEVER. cheers, thanks for listening to feedback without calling it BS like some ;) (jk... i know you'd never do that)

•••
there are tons of gd sales daily on namebio... what do you mean gd does not publish them? is it coincidence? or does someone publish them without gd consent? cheers
The GD results you see are GD auctions, which other parties can scrape as the auctions end.

Interestingly many if not most of those are prices paid by resellers, so they give a lower overall picture of prices than end-user sale prices do.

•••
The GD results you see are GD auctions, which other parties can scrape as the auctions end.

Interestingly many if not most of those are prices paid by resellers, so they give a lower overall picture of prices than end-user sale prices do.

yes true... i know they are expired auctions.. but I was asking how do you know or why you say gd does not put them there? because if gd does not put them there, it can mean its done without their consent. and then that would be illegal.

•••
yes true... i know they are expired auctions.. but I was asking how do you know or why you say gd does not put them there? because if gd does not put them there, it can mean its done without their consent. and then that would be illegal.
I read in some other threads from @Joe Styler that godaddy won't share any data so they are definitely not from them

Last edited:
•••

It is not necessarily illegal - you can have copyright to a database you create, but not really to data itself. Equally anyone can scrape data off dan.com about sales and prices, as someone pointed out earlier in this thread.

There has been some discussion in other threads where @namebio say how they get data, and how they are willing to amend it if the GD auction domain really sold later for less than the public closing price.

A someone documented in another thread, GD's valuation tool appears to scrape Sedo results and put them into their own database.

Last edited:
•••
It is not necessarily illegal - you can have copyright to a database you create, but not really to data itself. Equally anyone can scrape data off dan.com about sales and prices, as someone pointed out earlier in this thread.

There has been some discussion in other threads where @namebio say how they get data, and how they are willing to amend it if the GD auction domain really sold later for less than the public closing price.

A someone documented in another thread, GD's valuation tool appears to scrape Sedo results and put them into their own database.

you are right. still its quite amaizng that companies would go through all this trouble to specifically not give away sale prices.. because they deem it to maybe violate buyer seller privacy or what not.. and some even charge you like sedo to keep it all private.. and yet here you are.. next day, some unknown third party collects it all anyway and puts it on public view.. like namebio.. what does that say about the efforts to hide it by those companies... like gd or sedo.. as u say this may not be illegal... but it should at least very much bother those companies who go out of their way in their terms or when charging a fee, to keep it all private.
pretty weird really.. not make much sense!

either way.. not sure what dan will decide to do... i guess its their business.. literally.. but i am sure as it stands getting sales throuigh their marketplace wihout a parked dns to them, is almost non existent.. for countless of their clients.. myself included... never mind getting sales.. but even just to get some offers... so i think namebio publicity with sales could help this... maybe negatives are fewer than positived here imo

•••
Privacy concerns would likely be solved if DAN introduced an option for opt-in public auction per domains. DAN would probably experience a massive spike in traffic & activity on the platform with auctions.

Last edited:
•••
Auctions are public, you can't stop someone from writing down the results. Just like you can't stop someone from recording the results of a sporting event.

As far as private transactions, this is how things stand to the best of my knowledge:

BuyDomains - Publishes a selection of data. Not sure if they ask the buyer for permission, but I suspect not.
DAN - Reports nothing, although sellers sometimes report to us directly (usually listing their portfolio site).
Efty - Same as above. We get some reports from one of the parties, but usually don't list as Efty.
Epik - Same as above. We get some reports from one of the parties, but usually don't list as Epik.
Flippa - Publishes everything. Used to be you could pay for privacy, not sure if that is still an option.
GoDaddy/Afternic - Doesn't publish any sales data, except in the GoValue tool.
NameJet - Reports sales $2k+ once per month. No option for privacy as far as I know.
Sedo - Reports sales $2k+ once per week. But it's complicated*.
Uniregistry - Was reporting annually all sales where nobody requested privacy. Then started doing just the top 20 each week. Now reports nothing.

* Sedo will always report auction results, regardless of buyer/seller preference. If you use their brokerage service, the party requesting privacy has to pay 2.5% for it, so depending on the sale price this can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Transactions through the regular marketplace can be made private for free if either party requests it, but the default is to report. There is an account setting where all of your marketplace transactions are private by default, but you have to contact them to request it.

We've been trying for years to get DAN, Efty, and Epik to report sales, some for longer than others. But so far no luck. I see several ways to do it:

1. Opt-out reporting. This is the most aggressive, but would result in the most data/transparency. Marketplaces could add privacy as a setting when onboarding new users with it ticked off by default. Then email existing customers asking them to choose their preference, and give them plenty of time to react before starting to report (30-90 days). In this way everyone who cares about privacy gets it, but those that don't care don't have to take any action.

2. Opt-in reporting. This probably wouldn't result in much data, unless incentivized by the marketplace through something like a lower commission (which could be seen as an advertising expense). Even people who don't particularly care about privacy probably won't go out of their way to turn on reporting unless given a good reason. It's better than nothing, but not great.

3. Case-by-case reporting. At the end of the transaction, the marketplace could provide an option to both parties to report the transaction. If both click yes it gets reported. This would probably be slightly better than opt-in as long as it were integrated tightly into the funnel, since most people probably don't care.

In any of the above examples, you'd also have the question of whether both parties have to agree to make it public, or only one. After all it only takes one person to spill the beans on any "secret". I suspect whoever takes the leadership role in transparency will require both parties to have not opted out of reporting, which is reasonable. Although I doubt almost anyone who manually reports sales to us asks the other party for permission.

I personally don't see why any of the above methods would be a big deal. Those who care about privacy get it. Those who don't care or want their sales public also get it, and without the hassle of emailing us a screenshot. And everyone has plenty of time to make their preferences known. There is lots of precedent for reporting sales without even giving an option for privacy, or to give the option and either make it free or charge for it.

The marketplace gets a large amount of publicity practically every day for decades to come, which leads to more sellers listing there. This could also lead to more people visiting the marketplace so they're not making most of their sales from traffic to landers. The industry gets better insight into retail sale prices, which could help more people make more money. We get more content. Seems like a win-win-win. But maybe I'm missing something.

One thing is for sure, it won't happen until the users demand it. Nobody wants to rock the boat. I think the options above would make an interesting poll :)

@Rob Monster @Doron Vermaat @Michael Cyger @lionel_efty

Last edited:
•••
Good morning all,

Glad to see the discussion is still ongoing. All input really helps to put things in perspective and the suggestions will be taken into consideration as well once the topic on hand is being discussed internally.

Have a great day for now!

•••
Auctions are public, you can't stop someone from writing down the results. Just like you can't stop someone from recording the results of a sporting event.

As far as private transactions, this is how things stand to the best of my knowledge:

BuyDomains - Publishes a selection of data. Not sure if they ask the buyer for permission, but I suspect not.
DAN - Reports nothing, although sellers sometimes report to us directly (usually listing their portfolio site).
Efty - Same as above. We get some reports from one of the parties, but usually don't list as Efty.
Epik - Same as above. We get some reports from one of the parties, but usually don't list as Epik.
Flippa - Publishes everything. Used to be you could pay for privacy, not sure if that is still an option.
GoDaddy/Afternic - Doesn't publish any sales data, except in the GoValue tool.
NameJet - Reports sales $2k+ once per month. No option for privacy as far as I know.
Sedo - Reports sales $2k+ once per week. But it's complicated*.
Uniregistry - Was reporting annually all sales where nobody requested privacy. Then started doing just the top 20 each week. Now reports nothing.

* Sedo will always report auction results, regardless of buyer/seller preference. If you use their brokerage service, the party requesting privacy has to pay 2.5% for it, so depending on the sale price this can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Transactions through the regular marketplace can be made private for free if either party requests it, but the default is to report. There is an account setting where all of your marketplace transactions are private by default, but you have to contact them to request it.

We've been trying for years to get DAN, Efty, and Epik to report sales, some for longer than others. But so far no luck. I see several ways to do it:

1. Opt-out reporting. This is the most aggressive, but would result in the most data/transparency. Marketplaces could add this as a setting when onboarding new users with it ticked off by default. Then email existing customers asking them to choose their preference, and give them plenty of time to react before starting to report (30-90 days). In this way everyone who cares about privacy gets it, but those that don't care don't have to take any action.

2. Opt-in reporting. This probably wouldn't result in much data, unless incentivized by the marketplace through something like a lower commission (which could be seen as an advertising expense). Even people who don't particularly care about privacy probably won't go out of their way to turn on reporting unless given a good reason. It's better than nothing, but not great.

3. Case-by-case reporting. At the end of the transaction, the marketplace could provide an option to both parties to report the transaction. If both click yes it gets reported. This would probably be slightly better than opt-in as long as it were integrated tightly into the funnel, since most people probably don't care.

In any of the above examples, you'd also have the question of whether both parties have to agree to make it public, or only one. After all it only takes one person to spill the beans on any "secret". I suspect whoever takes the leadership role in transparency will require both parties to have not opted out of reporting, which is reasonable.

I personally don't see why any of the above methods would be a big deal. Those who care about privacy get it. Those who don't care or want their sales public also get it, and without the hassle of emailing us a screenshot. And everyone has plenty of time to make their preferences known. There is plenty of precedent for reporting sales without even giving an option for privacy, or to give the option and either make it free or charge money for it.

The marketplace gets a large amount of publicity practically every day for decades to come. This could lead to more people visiting the marketplace so they're not making most of their sales from traffic to landers. The industry gets better insight into retail sale prices, which could help more people make more money. We get more content. Seems like a win-win-win. But maybe I'm missing something.

One thing is for sure, it won't happen until the users demand it. Nobody wants to rock the boat. I think the options above would make an interesting poll :)

nice info! thanks a lot. sadly some sad sorry folk round here prefer to call nice debates like these about sales reports as BS. how profoundly sicekning indeed.

still i am curious, you say people sometimes write you to report dan.com sales and they usually ask it to be posted as their own site.. which I see you gladly permit (I guess i did not know).... but may I ask what you do with those who ask you to post it as dan.com? i ask cause as it stands and if memory serves me, there is not a single sale listed as dan.com sale on namebio.. is there? do you just refuse to post as dan.com? cause I had feeling from your post some sellers may be asking for that.

and maybe alternatively asked then: would @DAN.COM object to it if sold names on dan.com were sent to namebio by sellers and posted on namebio? i mean if dan.com doesnt want to do some marketing for themselves, then maybe, and this is slightly sad to say cause it feels like doing the job dan.com shoudl be doing, np members can do this work for dan.com by reporting to namebio themselves.

as it stands dan has a very severe problem confirmed by many np members (this does not mean ALL) of offers and sales not being generated directly via their market. this problem does not exist on say GD. nobody is asking dan to be gd... but the issue can be remedied (gotta start somewhere right?) by for intance seeing dan.com name appear next to sales on namebio.

i hope dan begins to see some urgency in this lack of exposure of marketplace problem. and does not just end up as a sale lander redirect only company.. or an add lead to finalize sale only company.

cheers
ty

Last edited:
•••
nice info! thanks a lot. sadly some sad sorry folk round here prefer to call nice debates like these about sales reports as BS. how profoundly sicekning indeed.

still i am curious, you say people sometimes write you to report dan.com sales and they usually ask it to be posted as their own site.. which I see you gladly permit.... but may I ask what you do with those who ask you to post it as dan.com? i ask cause as it stands and if memory serves me, there is not a single sale listed as dan.com sale on namebio.. is there? do you just refuse to post as dan.com? cause I had feeling from your post some sellers may be asking for that.

and maybe alternatively asked then: would @DAN.COM object to it if sold names on dan.com were sent to namebio by sellers and posted on namebio? i mean if dan.com doesnt want to do some marketing for themselves, then maybe, and this is slightly sad to say cause it feels like doing the job dan.com shoudl be doing, np members can do this work for dan.com by reporting to namebio themselves.

cheers
ty
Good question. There are currently 87 sales in the database listed as DAN.com (Framer.com, CryptoBank.com, Music.ai, etc.). We just don't list DAN in the Venue filter because they don't report directly. But there are hundreds more listed as people's portfolio site that actually happened at DAN. I have no problem listing DAN as the venue when that's where the sale happened, but I also have no problem listing the person's portfolio site instead since they're the ones that reported the sale.

Last edited:
•••
1. Opt-out reporting. ...
2. Opt-in reporting. ...
3. Case-by-case reporting. ...
I personally don't see why any of the above methods would be a big deal.

Personally I would love to know for how much money
the reported sold domains at DAN changed hands.

The problem I see is:
when you want to ask the buyer for permission
how can you do so
without interrupting the sales process.

when thinking about it..
there is actually no good time to ask the buyer
if he wants the sale to be published
when making his offer .. no please not
when showing him the payment page .. no please not

after the transfer has been done
ok
but who would care?

•••
Personally I would love to know for how much money
the reported sold domains at DAN changed hands.

The problem I see is:
when you want to ask the buyer for permission
how can you do so
without interrupting the sales process.
It could be a toggle on the Payment confirmation page after the buyer already paid. Something like:

Thanks for your payment! Confirmation # 123456.

We publish sale prices to domain industry sites such as DNJournal and NameBio, for use as comparable sales in appraisals and negotiations.

[TOGGLE DEFAULT:OFF] I don't want to participate in reporting.

Alternatively, DAN bot could ask the buyer at the end of the transaction if they don't want the sale price being published, with no response being consent to publish. If buyers have to register an account it can be part of the on-boarding process instead, and also in the account settings.

If they require two-party consent and the seller has opted out of reporting, they could not even display the option/setting/question to the buyer since it doesn't matter in that case. So you as the seller could effectively turn it off and none of your buyers would ever see it.

Lots of unobtrusive possibilities, although DAN would be best able to answer that as I'm not that familiar with their platform, especially not as a buyer. I can understand not wanting to add unnecessary friction to the checkout process though, especially when the data of that particular sale only benefits others and not you.

I think it can be done in a way that doesn't impact sales though. And then others benefit from your data, you benefit from others' data, and DAN benefits from the constant free publicity.

Also it's worth noting that the publicity extends far beyond NameBio or DNJournal. Those sales get pulled into Estibot and other appraisal services, Dofo, and more. The reports are syndicated on a bunch of sites, both with and without our permission. They end up getting used as comps in listing descriptions on auctions at Flippa and NamePros among others, on For Sale landers, and in email negotiations. The data spreads all over the place, which is good for DAN, and what's good for them should be good for their users.

Last edited:
•••
You really want more end user data reported, you don’t want to skew results with reseller deals type data, and I am sure resellers don’t want that awkward message, well you paid $250 for this name, 2 weeks ago, why would I pay you $1K, here is $500, be happy you doubled your money etc...

I have had data points used against me a few times this year, including estibot data, which tends to be either super high, or super low depending on how many similar, or exact comps are in play.

Data can be dangerous when not interpreted in the right way. How many buyers here who use dan to close a reseller type sale, would like their wholesale buy documented, and indexed online?

•••
You really want more end user data reported, you don’t want to skew results with reseller deals type data,

agreed

•••
You really want more end user data reported, you don’t want to skew results with reseller deals type data, and I am sure resellers don’t want that awkward message, well you paid $250 for this name, 2 weeks ago, why would I pay you $1K, here is $500, be happy you doubled your money etc...

I have had data points used against me a few times this year, including estibot data, which tends to be either super high, or super low depending on how many similar, or exact comps are in play.

Data can be dangerous when not interpreted in the right way. How many buyers here who use dan to close a reseller type sale, would like their wholesale buy documented, and indexed online?
So you opt out and then your reseller purchases aren’t reported, as long as they require two-party consent (which is sounding more and more like the way to go).

Although that brings up a good point, maybe there should be two account settings with regards to reporting, one from the perspective of a seller and one as a buyer. That way you could allow your sales to be reported but not your purchases.

As someone who fears data being used against you in a negotiation, I would imagine you want as much retail data out there as possible. Right now sales reports (and thus appraisal systems) are heavily skewed wholesale. But the only way to change that is if venues that are primarily retail step up and start reporting.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back