IT.COM

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
August 2021

upload_2021-9-7_10-23-49.png

And we have a winner! Congrats @MasterOfMyDomains! We'll send you a PM to arrange to send you the $500 price you won with guessing when Dan.com would overtake Sedo in traffic.

Don't get us wrong, we like working with Sedo and hope Sedo will join our open domain distribution network in the near future.

Why this is an important moment for us is the milestone we've just hit. Before we started Dan we used to sell our domains at legacy marketplaces and our frustration with those platforms got us fired up to build the next generation's domain marketplace.

In August 2021, after +8 years of relentless non-stop hard work, many ups and downs, and continually improving our marketplace, we finally got there and have overtaken the company that inspired us to enter the domain industry.

Thank you all for being part of our journey and remember, this is just the beginning. The bigger Dan gets, the more resources we can dedicate to keep pushing it and introducing new features, business models, and more for our users.

Congrats again @MasterOfMyDomains,

Dan

•••
To address some confusion here:

1: Payoneer does not have a 2% payout fee. If you choose to get a payout from them in a different currency they charge conversion fees but no payout/withdrawal fees.

2: If you opt-in for Payoneer payouts your payouts will land in your account faster due to them sending the payout from a bank account (in most cases this can vary in some regions) based in your country.

3: For most users not based in the EU, when using Payoneer as preferred payout source no intermediary fees will be charged by your bank since the payment will be sent locally.

We spent a lot of dev resources to implement the Payoneer integration based on popular demand (check this thread alone with all the requests) and to solve some problems users faced with intermediary bank fees and or delayed receipt of payment due to Dan sending international wires.

We agree that the setting was introduced in a confusing way and that our initial email communicated a too rigid message.

We're deploying a settings fix today so you get two options for bank wires:

1: Bank wire sent by Dan (existing solution you're used to as Dan seller)
2: Bank wire sent by Payoneer (new optional solution)

If you do not wish to use Payoneer, you do not have to do anything. Your payouts will simply be sent to you via the normal Dan bank wire flow.

•••
Ability to HIDE domains from sale. Should be implemented ASAP. Afternic has this feature. As mentioned before, some folks do knowingly and routinely add domains they do not own. If I am not selling a particular domain via DAN at this time (but have it listed elsewhere) - earlier or later somebody else will add it to DAN. OK, at this time it can be prevented by adding the domain to DAN and configuring it to makeoffer with a cosmic min. offer. Since it makes no practical sense, an option to HIDE such a domain is a must.

Last edited:
•••
•••
IMHO, negative reviews can reduce trust especially if the potential buyer is a real end-user.
Good morning @ET76,

I fully agree. However, looking at the broader picture, you can see we scored a 4.7 out of 5, with a total of 5,040 reviews generated. There will always be bad reviews to be found, but many of them are not legitimate and will be removed within a very short time. The latest 1-star reviews involve expired domains where former owners claim that Dan stole the domains afterward. These reviews are disputed and will get removed over time.

All the best,

•••
EX: BIN: $2,000 or Installments at $1,800 (10% discount).
I would prefer the reverse model - 10% discount if you buy via BIN instead of instalments

•••
Hi there,

Dan.com, a Godaddy Brand is shown on all pages both on mobile and on a desktop. The TrustPilot reviews will remain presented as it is something that the users with no experience in this industry are familiar with and works positively on the conversions.

Have a nice week.
Hmm, my mobile landing pages say "GoDaddy - powered by dan.com".

•••
I am personally seeing a drop in number of views of my portfolio post the inclusion in the afternic network. Maybe my assumptions, but what I am finding is that in the past couple of months have seen almost a 20%+ drop in my traffic. Actually after inclusion of afternic network I had expected jump in traffic because more distribution channels, but seeing the opposite.

•••
The requirement of 5 successful deals was canceled? Cryptocurrencies are anonymous why do you want verified?
Good morning @ReallyBigIdea.com,

The processes are still applied in full. However, there are increased rules and regulations involving BTC payments or payouts. As a company you have to abide by them in order to be able to process any BTC payment. This is why the KYC is required.

Best regards,

•••
Good morning @Future Sensors,

You are permitted to maintain a different price at Dan as opposed to the Afternic Network while integrating through our marketplace. This is why the functionality is present to alter prices specifically for those domain names that you have integrated in the Afternic Network.

Have a great weekend ahead.
Hello @LaszloSchenk

That is news. There was (and still is) a lot of discussion about this, as you've seen.

So I understand that Dan users with automatic Afternic integration enabled, may maintain different pricing on platforms as they please, while others are not allowed to do this?

Will the integrated system subsequently automatically follow GBP/USD and EUR/USD exchange rates? As you know, they can fluctuate heavily over time.

What about the Afternic network partners that add an additional markup on their sites, resulting in different pricing across the network?

Could you append Afternic ToS with all this new info? And make an official announcement on this, as it's rather important.

Tagging some participants in the discussion:

Cc: @GoDaddy
Cc: @James Iles
Cc: @Bob Hawkes
Cc: @bmugford

Last edited:
•••
Lately, it looks like they need to wait for a whois info update to release the payment and I have some domains sold which they still have my whois, sold 8 years ago. When the comission was 9% they didn't needed a whois info update, at 15% they are now in the big league and they can wait days/weeks/months/years for a whois update until the payment is released. Also, customer service it's getting worse...so looks like godaddy started to change dan to fit their policy. We are just waiting for a godddy style 22 days average payment release.

•••
I got the same response today on a 6-month installment agreement and was going to write about it.

It doesn't make sense at all. I'll turn off LTO on all my listings if they don't reverse this change. Quick payouts were the main reason I used DAN in the first place.

What is their justification for holding my money for 12 days? To align with Afternic's upcoming LTO?
Yeah, I'm thinking about turning off installments as well. They're calling it streamlining and presenting it as if it's a good thing for sellers to have one fixed date for each LTO transaction, but in effect almost all LTO transactions I've ever had, paid on the due date. So now I have to wait 14 days for payouts instead of 1-2 days. From smooth and fast transactions, the new norm is slow transactions, where Godaddy sits on the money and likely collects interest. It's really a shame what Godaddy is doing to Dan.com.

Last edited:
•••
@DAN.COM

Any plans on changing the big cookie pop up to an smaller one?

It's covering an important part of the page and obviously affecting sales

I suggest to place it in an small horizontal bar at the bottom of the page as many websites are placing it

Thanks

•••
@DAN.COM

It is a pity that you haven't responded to the cookie issues on mobile.

A new disappointment is that DAN landers now suddenly display two (2) cookie warnings in a row (!)

Once you have accepted the first one, another, different cookie warning will appear, as can be seen below.

Cookie notification #1

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 11-08-25 - Domain Name For Sale Dan.com.png

Cookie notification #2

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 11-08-55 - Domain Name For Sale Dan.com.png

Last edited:
•••
While i am browsing from my laptop a domain for sale on DAN lander i get shocked how the lander look like ??!!
how such lander with BIG cookies notification covering the domain and half of the page can generate any sales or attract visitors ???

DAN / GODADDY PLEASE FIX THIS MISERABLE SITUATION !! YOU ARE DAMAGING THIS LANDER WITH THIS SH*T THINGS.

@DAN.COM @Joe Styler @James Iles

1692271584572.png

Last edited:
•••
Afternic 2.0 is a real joke - I have to go back to 1.0 to do virtually anything - on the Beta I can't even select multiple domains to delete or edit. And when I add in new domains I can't select them all and change prices. WTH?

If you have thousands of domains on Afternic 2.0 you might as well order an abacus and seal the deal.

Right! I've emailed their support too many times in the past weeks...you can't change a name or price in Afternic 2.0 without having to go back to classic to check it...Bugs Everywhere.

You change a price in Afternic Beta 2.0 and It either goes to review, or it disappears from View inside you 2.0 dashboard.

smh....I'm about to do all Efty..funny my last l offer came from an EFTY Smart Lander. Which I could actually communicate back with the buyer. GD/AF do not want us able to do so... Thank you @Doron Vermaat

•••
And now my dashboard says I have 3 Afternic listings. Check your stats.

As I have said many times whatever GD gets their hands on they destroy. This does not make me want run to Afternic where they want total control of our sales and its bug city.

Refresh the page. Now it seems to be reverting back.

Oh they are for sure live in this thread now, and I'm sure not a single person whom is aware of what just took place was happy at all...but I doubt it's back just due to a few of us "complaining" ....I think it was more so a test. That was tooo much like Afternic 2.0 crappy dashboard....seems they are trying to merge it into 1....I doubt ...the reverse sticks ....for long..... caution

Last edited:
•••
For me, everything has returned to normal. I think we saw a new control panel that looked awful and lacked many features, it was probably a preview of what they are planning to introduce soon.

•••
@DAN.COM - on the DAN seller dashboard > my domains > options > change view > here we can modify to show/hide our preferred columns. Why can't DAN remember our preferred view? Preferred view is stored in browser but that's not a good solution since many users clear browser cache regularly. DAN needs to offer ability for users to save their preferred options/change view as their default view. Agree or disagree? Or, I guess upvote or like if you agree. Trying to get DAN to pay attention.

Last edited:
•••
Good morning all,

Our search algorithm is based on data we have gathered throughout the years. It is focused on the buyer behavior we have experienced and analyzed with the main intention to stimulate sales. We would not implement it of it was not backed by actual data.

@namemarket, I have noticed some deviations in your observations that I would like to clarify. Within the examples of "stock market" search results, for example, you indicate that StockMarketz is displayed over a direct hit. However, the result generated is a .com extension which is proven to be the most desired extension when it comes to purchases. The only deviation with the direct search result would be the "Z" and therefore StockMarketz.com is displayed as the best-ranking match.

With regards to the assumption that BuyDomains.com is compensating us for a better ranking, this is wrong. BuyDomains.com listed a small 1 million domain names with us. The chance of ending up with one of their domains is quite significant due to that. No additional payments are made for a better ranking. Even though we have received many inquiries to do this we believe all sellers at DAN.COM should receive the maximum amount of exposure and we aim to realize that.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Have a great day!

•••
Good morning all,

@Embrand, I can confirm this is the case. It fore mostly depends on the quality of the names and pricing. However, we do see a significant difference in leads reaching out to our support with trust issues/verifications before feeling comfortable with proceeding. This is to say that X% would not reach out to us at all causing some sales to slip through your hands.

@Jurgen Wolf, I sense some frustration on your end and not sure what is causing it. However, I am simply answering your questions and remarks here so I do think we could remain professional.

You are absolutely right we are doing everything differently from Sedo, Afternic, and Uniregistry. This is why Sedo is copying our landing pages and many other marketplaces start copying our processes. What I do not understand is that we are discussing a point at which we provide significantly more options to you while your statement indicates that not having any options at all is preferred.

It is a rather useless statement saying they sell more as these are established companies for decades already. However, we are the fastest growing and large portfolio holders using our platform experience over a 20% increase in total revenue while using us. Don’t you agree that this is far more important?

Not sure what your point of view is, but to me, it is quite logical that a buyer would find a listing with a company/person behind it and a visible company logo more trustworthy as opposed to a listing without any information about the owner. That trust effect is what I am referring to.

@carob, thank you for the suggestions and I will make sure to forward it to our product team.

@frank-germany, completely agree and it has not been added yet as we are revamping the page. Both options will be made possible.

@Nametree, we have something else on the roadmap that should significantly reduce the time lost on none-payers. Besides, I understand such an assumption exists. However, we do capture still quite some payments after the first 24-48 hours which is why we keep chasing them. An example of a payment that came through just yesterday. The agreement was reached on the 10th of October and I have been chasing this high $XXXX sale without receiving any notice. It turned out the buyer was on a business trip and was able to submit the payment just yesterday. By changing this structure the buyer would not have bought the domain at all.

@wwwweb, we completely agree but do want to keep a certain quality of service. We are working towards this but it will take time to set it up just how we like it.

Have a great weekend!

•••
@DAN.COM
Is dan has any promotions for Black Friday. Cyber Monday as so many users like you.

Hi Theodore,

All organic transactions processed starting from 12:00 this evening will be charged 5% commission instead of the usual 9% for Black Friday!

Kind regards,

Reza

•••
Let’s not confuse DAN marketplace (which has almost nonexistent buyer traffic and sales, especially compared to something like Afternic or Sedo)

Two Year review Afternic DomainAgents Sedo DynaDot Flippa Uniregistry UNDeveloped (DAN) marketplace
https://www.namepros.com/threads/tw...registry-undeveloped-dan-marketplace.1141640/

and what everyone is talking about in this thread, which is parking your domains at DAN and using their landing pages, where any resultant traffic has absolutely nothing to do with DAN.

Yes one has to see the benefits and what they are actually using a service for. I think if you like the landing pages better and 9% commission, installment plans, things where I personally believe DAN is far superior to Sedo.

For Sedo they are a marketplace with a lot of people checking the place out daily and have traffic and brokers. They have far more traffic of potential buyers compared to DAN.

People keep moving around thinking there is some magic pill, the magic pill is to own good to very good to great domain names. No application is going to help you sell LibraCBDStadia.com

•••
Hi @domaintrader,

As a domain marketplace, we have plenty of third party dependencies at the moment.

For example, the managing registrar of a sold domain, the extension but also the seller of the domain since the seller (currently) has to perform an action to deliver the domain to us.

These dependencies are being solved at the moment as we're becoming a registrar, however, in your case the seller does not respond to any of our messages. I actually personally know the seller and suspect he has not updated his contact information and is missing our emails, messages and calls.

You've started an entire tirade here but will that accelerate the delivery time of the seller?

Our updated for sale pages, which go live this week, include specific data like seller delivery speed. This will help buyers like you to get an impression of who you're dealing with before your purchase.

Lastly, our staff has answered all your questions timely, until the weekend started. Most of our team members simply don't work during the weekend. We do provide support in the weekend and process some transactions but not all.

Kind regards,

Reza on behalf of the DAN team.

Last edited:
•••
Auctions are public, you can't stop someone from writing down the results. Just like you can't stop someone from recording the results of a sporting event.

As far as private transactions, this is how things stand to the best of my knowledge:

BuyDomains - Publishes a selection of data. Not sure if they ask the buyer for permission, but I suspect not.
DAN - Reports nothing, although sellers sometimes report to us directly (usually listing their portfolio site).
Efty - Same as above. We get some reports from one of the parties, but usually don't list as Efty.
Epik - Same as above. We get some reports from one of the parties, but usually don't list as Epik.
Flippa - Publishes everything. Used to be you could pay for privacy, not sure if that is still an option.
GoDaddy/Afternic - Doesn't publish any sales data, except in the GoValue tool.
NameJet - Reports sales $2k+ once per month. No option for privacy as far as I know.
Sedo - Reports sales $2k+ once per week. But it's complicated*.
Uniregistry - Was reporting annually all sales where nobody requested privacy. Then started doing just the top 20 each week. Now reports nothing.

* Sedo will always report auction results, regardless of buyer/seller preference. If you use their brokerage service, the party requesting privacy has to pay 2.5% for it, so depending on the sale price this can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Transactions through the regular marketplace can be made private for free if either party requests it, but the default is to report. There is an account setting where all of your marketplace transactions are private by default, but you have to contact them to request it.

We've been trying for years to get DAN, Efty, and Epik to report sales, some for longer than others. But so far no luck. I see several ways to do it:

1. Opt-out reporting. This is the most aggressive, but would result in the most data/transparency. Marketplaces could add privacy as a setting when onboarding new users with it ticked off by default. Then email existing customers asking them to choose their preference, and give them plenty of time to react before starting to report (30-90 days). In this way everyone who cares about privacy gets it, but those that don't care don't have to take any action.

2. Opt-in reporting. This probably wouldn't result in much data, unless incentivized by the marketplace through something like a lower commission (which could be seen as an advertising expense). Even people who don't particularly care about privacy probably won't go out of their way to turn on reporting unless given a good reason. It's better than nothing, but not great.

3. Case-by-case reporting. At the end of the transaction, the marketplace could provide an option to both parties to report the transaction. If both click yes it gets reported. This would probably be slightly better than opt-in as long as it were integrated tightly into the funnel, since most people probably don't care.

In any of the above examples, you'd also have the question of whether both parties have to agree to make it public, or only one. After all it only takes one person to spill the beans on any "secret". I suspect whoever takes the leadership role in transparency will require both parties to have not opted out of reporting, which is reasonable. Although I doubt almost anyone who manually reports sales to us asks the other party for permission.

I personally don't see why any of the above methods would be a big deal. Those who care about privacy get it. Those who don't care or want their sales public also get it, and without the hassle of emailing us a screenshot. And everyone has plenty of time to make their preferences known. There is lots of precedent for reporting sales without even giving an option for privacy, or to give the option and either make it free or charge for it.

The marketplace gets a large amount of publicity practically every day for decades to come, which leads to more sellers listing there. This could also lead to more people visiting the marketplace so they're not making most of their sales from traffic to landers. The industry gets better insight into retail sale prices, which could help more people make more money. We get more content. Seems like a win-win-win. But maybe I'm missing something.

One thing is for sure, it won't happen until the users demand it. Nobody wants to rock the boat. I think the options above would make an interesting poll :)

@Rob Monster @Doron Vermaat @Michael Cyger @lionel_efty

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back