Domain Empire

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have been using Dan.com recently to close a few deals. Their system and support is top notch.

Brad

I have closed (7) deals now via Dan.com. I am still impressed with their system.

I really appreciate Dan.com helping the buyer with the transfer process. That can be very frustrating as a seller sometimes.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Good morning @hui2000,

Thank you for the suggestion made.

We have chosen the current setup as we needed to rule out the possibility of a domain being bought twice within the same time window by two different entities. We have seen it happen multiple times before where a domain was bought by two different buyers. By not being able to deliver the domain we as a marketplace are in default with our own TOS stressing the bindingness for both buyer and seller as well.

As compensation, we have a dedicated team of account managers who follow up on these transactions quite frequently both by phone, private email, and automated payment reminders. We do this to identify payment deadlines, getting the payments secured but also to identify time wasters and reduce the time lost. However, we have developed alternative methods that our product team is still building which should reduce the number of time-wasting transactions significantly. Regardless, I will relay your proposal to our product team for review.

I hope you will have a great week.

@LaszloSchenk Maybe you can make a compromise solution? After a domain is purchased but before payment kicks in, display a slightly different message like "There is a pending sale agreement for this domain with expiration in DDMMYY". And a fine print explaining the domain will be back to the market if the buyer fails to pay up.

This should please sellers as well as put some pressure on buyers to conclude payment.

•••
As everyone knows DAN is known to be gone on weekends. That needs to change. Transactions take place 24/7 365 and in the digital age two days can send a buyer packing. Please get a weekend crew.

•••
Know your rights everyone and demand your registrar to never lock your domains without your consent:

https://www.internetcommerce.org/understanding-domain-name-transfer-locks/

It's a universal right for domain registrants to be able to transfer their domains to another registrar. When your registrar does not allow it, raise your voice and demand changes.

At Dan, we've started discussions with the Dutch government to assist us with making a case at the EU consumer protection division to demand domain portability to become a universal right for all domain registrants.

However, this process will take a while before a universal free domain portability policy is introduced. Meanwhile, it's important for all domain registrants to stop accepting lock-ins by registrars after domain pushes, ownership changes, and transfer-ins.

The community has the power of change. Let's make use of it!

•••
I loved Dan's landers because they were, allegedly, heavily split-tested and based on hard data.. and now we've erased all of that conversion optimization and data to start fresh?

That's exactly why we haven't changed too much on the framework of the for sale pages, other than improvements that we implemented after doing more customer research with buyers & sellers.

The standard for sale page doesn't deviate away from the first Dan version.

The new brandable theme was introduced so you can use for sale pages that create an automated brandable card that looks more visually appealing than creating a sub-optimal logo to increase the perceived value of your brandable domains.

We're in a completely different shape as a company in how we design and launch new products and services. In our newsroom, you can now follow our product updates because there will be many going forward. We're growing to 50 employees at the end of this year and 60% of that team works in product development.

We're very proud of that we're handing over to you today. Play around with your settings, you can do more than it might seem with the new Dan. We do not solve all your problems but try to empower you to build a more successful domain business. Keeping that in mind, we guarantee you that everything we introduce is done with care and your interests are always included in any decision we make. This is a great product, give it a try. Change is always initially a bit hard to cope with. It took our team almost 4 months to start accepting the new look and feel. But once that sets in, you might start appreciating it :xf.smile:

•••
I tried to buy a domain as a customer.

Dan now charges the following surprise fees, only displayed on the final step:

- Alipay: +1% fee
- credit card: +2% fee
- Paypal: +1% fee

(or at least this is the case in my country, maybe in other countries these surcharges differ)

The available payment methods depend on the customer's billing country and on the price of the domain.

I see that wire transfer payment option gives the customer 1% discount.

But I tried to buy a domain priced at 99 USD, then in this case wire transfer was not available, only Alipay, credit card or Paypal. So in this case the customer must pay 1-2% surcharge always.

But on the homepage I read:

"Transparency first
No hidden costs. No complicated math. You’ll never be in the dark, whether you’re buying or selling."

And on the FAQ page:

"Are there any hidden costs, beyond the yearly registration of the domain?
No, at Dan.com we care about transparency and never add any additional fees or costs."

Aren't these surcharges - displayed only on the final checkout step - hidden costs or additional fees?

I don't like this setup.

My suggestion: if you need to increase your prices, then increase your commission rate to 10% and remove these surcharges, it would be better.

Or if you want these surcharges, then display them on the homepage, and on the landing pages (not just on the final step).

I guess these surcharges harm the conversion rate. As a customer I would hate these surprise charges, only displayed on the final checkout step!

And I think you forgot something important. 1-2% surcharge means that if a seller lists the same domain on Dan, Afternic and Sedo at the same price, and if Afternic or Sedo, or their partner network don't add surcharge, then the customer might abandon the purchase on Dan when the customer sees this surcharge. And then the customer might look around (for example on Google or on Dofo) to find the same domain name at a cheaper price, without the surcharge! So how will this impact the conversion rate on Dan, have you tested it? Customers aren't dumb, they are smart.

Last edited:
•••
All relevant ones are either fixed or edge cases that we shouldn't focus on at this point. Some posts have been submitted to our product team to review when relevant.

The only report you made which we need more time to resolve is the German copy. We've spent thousands of euros on getting professional translations in, however, agree that some translators have misinterpreted some strings. Each and every issue on that front will be tackled as we've requested a new review.

If you spot any other translation issues, you can report them to our support team and they'll directly forward them to our product team to check & review and implement fixes where relevant.

please consider this:

when I send you suggestions or complaints
it's not because I'm feeling bored
or feel like bothering DAN

I'm not a 18-year-old newbee
I'm in ( german ) sales for 37 years by now
I'm a domain reseller for 20 years
I have attended several universities
and my German is much better than my English
-as I'm a native german-

It's because I want to improve my conversions at DAN

as I have about 99% .de domains
it's important to me to have correct German landing Pages

so when I point you to bad german or unusual or bad copy
there may be better ways for you to react but feeling pissed

Yes, I could send my traffic to Sedo or Afternic/Godaddy
and before you react childishly again and eventually tell me to leave
I will tell you that I really like DAN as a broker
and I value your work

Last edited:
•••
Wow. Dan has certainly raised the bar with this update. Looks fantastic.
Visually attractive, inspiring, trustworthy. Have to give credit where it's due!
Please don't get acquired by a spoiler. ;)

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
We spent a lot of dev resources to implement the Payoneer integration based on popular demand (check this thread alone with all the requests) and to solve some problems users faced with intermediary bank fees and or delayed receipt of payment due to Dan sending international wires.

It would be much better to integrate Wise.com (TransferWise) instead of Payoneer to solve expensive bank fees.

•••
Good afternoon everyone,

A quick update right before the weekend.

Many of you requested this before, and we are happy to let you know that a new change has been implemented today. You, as a seller can decide to show/hide the minimum starting offer from here on out. It is optional to decide if the exact minimum starting offer will be displayed or not in case a buyer tries to submit a too low offer.

The message will either say:
- Your offer does not meet the minimum starting offer requirements set by the domain seller
- Domain seller only takes offers into consideration from $100 and above.

Enjoy the weekend ahead!

•••
Not a big fan of the expanded "Domain Details" format, which has jumped from 1 page to 4 pages.

I am currently updating and checking domains and I now need to load Page 1 (default), then go to Page 3, check data, then back to Page 1 (make changes), Save, then over to Page 2 (make changes), Save.

Prior to the changes it was simply Load Domain Details, check data, change and save.

There should be ONE PAGE where I can change prices, change details and view Offers and Page Views. A lot of these new pages are overly repetitive (like Page 1) as I can make those basic edits right from the My Domains list.

•••
One question about "inactive domains deleted.

All domain I added to DAN have Enable automated domain ownership via TXT record.

My way of working makes me register many domains the first year but not renew them for the second year in more than 50%.
We are talking about more than 1000 domains, half of which will not be renewed in the first year.
The problem comes when it is time to delete them from the sales platforms. It takes me a long time.

I have received several notices from Dan stating that they may suspend my account for this. Attached message:

"We fully understand this could be overlooked! However, we do want to ask you to please make sure you keep your portfolio up-to-date. Your Dan.com account might be suspended if you list domains you do not own and/or do not keep your portfolio updated."

Is it really necessary to delete all expired domains? Why isn't there an automatic system in DAN that reviews the accounts and automatically deletes all expired domains without the user having to review all of them and update them?

If the system of verification of ownership by TXT works well, when DAN detects that there is no TXT tag in the domain, it will delete it directly without the owner having to do it domain by domain.

Last edited:
•••
It wasn't a outage but rather a completely new, unsuccessful panel similar to Afternic. I regret that I didn't take a screenshot.

Exactly, It was LITERALLY AFt 2.0 ....inside dan.

The options to sort and sift through our names to make adjustments at afternic is atrocious.

Like Dan price options pick a tld say .xyz and then price say 4999-10K....then you can work on this exact narrow result.

The other thing that drives me nuts on Af 2.0 is you can't scroll left to right on when editing when you have a full page of names...you need to scroll to the bottom to go left or right....WTF good does that do if trying to adjust a name in the middle you can't even see.

Last edited:
•••
I think that the past bidders should be informed when a BIN price added or changed.

•••
Hi All,

I hadn't checked Namepros for a while and see this thread contains inaccuracies:

Some quick notes:

1: Our search has no bias towards any sellers or extensions in general. We do rank specific extensions higher based on the IP of the buyer and that's based on market data. So someone from the US will get .com's ranked higher while a Chinese seller will see more .cn domains ranked higher in the results.

2: More than 50% of our sellers hide their sales via their privacy settings. So checking out the sales we list and making any conclusions based on that data is inherently inaccurate.

3: We sell close to $2M a month in domain sales of which less than 5% is from .nl sales.

4: We do not allow any seller to rank higher in our search, the domains of BuyDomains, for example, had a negative ranking of -30 points in the past 4 years and recently we changed that and made their inventory rank as high as other sellers inventory. They own a lot of domains so when you cherry-pick some searches, their domains will show in the results indeed.

5: Our search does show some inconsistencies which we'll tackle. For example, searching for two keywords is not treated as exact match.

Kind regards,

Reza

Last edited:
•••
Suggestion:

For domains that are listed with a minimum price, it would be really really really (yes 3x!) :) cool to see how many visitors are ending up leaving our offer pages after making an offer that is too low for the domain's minimum price we have set. For example, I make a $1500 offer on a domain whose minimum price is $2495. I get a message back that states "Your offer must be higher than $2495" and since I can not send that offer to the seller I likely decide to walk away. In fact, even if I am as low as $1 off the minimum price set for a domain I still cant email that offer to the buyer. I'm pretty sure that if someone sent me an offer of $2494 for a $2495 priced domain, I'd accept it.

The only way I see that the buyer is able to make any offer lower than what is set by us is to have a BIN set and then they choose "Or make an offer on this domain" under the BIN button. But many of us do not set BIN prices on our names and so we are blind to know how many are visiting, placing lower offers, and cant send those offers along anyway.
upload_2019-10-21_10-18-37.png

I'd love to know how many people, and what offer amounts they're making (low-ball offers included). I'd love to get a daily report of these offers (date, domain name, offer amount). I can toss the low-ball offers out myself, but if I find a bulk of visitors are making offers averaging $1600 excluding the low-ballers, and this is going on for many months on a domain that I have the minimum set to $2495, then I would be smart to reconsider that $2495 min price, right?

So lets say I lower my min offer to $1850. My lowering the price might entice these folks to either make a better offer, since its not $1000 difference anymore, its $350 now. :)

So now we re-target these offers that were too low. The real power in all of this would be sales automation coupled with re-targeting. If you really want to take this down the road then we could discuss intelligent re-targeting where the price shown changes based on the amount of times they visit and make offers. But right now I am not asking about that. I just really want to how how many people are leaving my "make offer" listings and what offers are these people entering into the box.

We could easily do this if you would be able to store those below minimum offers along with the visitor emails, phone numbers etc internally to your system. When I reprice the name these people could all be re-targeted automatically at the same time. So if I take that price down from 2495 to $1850, your system would automatically notify each person who has made a offer that didnt meet my old minimum price and my hope is that it would hopefully restart some offers again.

Bottom line is that if I can see people are making offers that are some percentage lower than my minimum price then I may be smart to re-price the domain to hopefully reinvigorate these folks who made those offers to come back and make another offer.

I do realize that this would require additional storage on your databases. If that is a concern then how about allowing us to receive an email with the offer from your dan bot? All I'd be looking for is an email that stated "Hello, you just had a visitor make a $1500 offer for <domain name> but your minimum price is set to $2495" and like I wrote above, I dont care if I get 10 emails with offers that are like $50 and $10. I'd just ignore those. However, we could log into our accounts and see abandoned offers and what prices where made then you'd be doing something that no other market place seems to offer at this time.

OK, thats my suggestion today - analytics + automation + retargeting hopefully equals more sales!

Would love to hear anyone's ideas on this.

•••
I only have old installment plans still running. I guess there is no difference there.

By the way, really looking forward to the new sales lander design that emphasizes the possible monthly installment payment instead of the BIN. Will it be ready soon?

Indeed, new installment transactions are handled by our DAN Bot.

We're pushing sellers for a reason to accept long term installments. When you do accept installments (we'll offer installments up to 5 years soon), you create a recurring income which helps you also with additional revenue in slower months. December for example always is a slow month. Creating recurring income from your portfolio should be a big priority for all domain investors.

The new lander upgrade is almost done. We do not launch anything that isn't extremely extensively tested on all fronts.

We need to iron out some last details before we can offer these landers to our sellers.

Here's the latest sneak preview:

upload_2019-12-6_13-11-13.png

*Note that when you as a seller are logged in your sellers account that the for sale page will indicate that you're online to improve sale conversions. We're implementing real-time elements on our for sale pages and in the seller back office in the coming time to reach new highs in terms of improving the conversion rate of our landing pages.

Kind regards,

Dan

•••
@domaintrader

You're that guy that Holds up every line at the grocery store ranting and B*itching ridiculous are you not!

You say you have been in the business 20+ years(or w.e you said) and are all about "professionalism ".

Well if that were true ....you would know by now ...sometimes in any business, Online, Restaurant, idc what....whatever.......SH*T Happens! (mistakes, errors, unkowns)

Yet, instead of being patient, and "professional " as you mock Dan for not being

You could have waited till Today and had 95% of this Rant done Via Phone with Reza & the @DAN.COM team.As they said, you chose to leave a 4 Day page RANT like a mad football fan 4 days after the game.

DUDE...you obviously need to follow Dan and everyone else here & take a "WEEKEND OFF" get out, play some golf, go for a swim something!

Your Endless moaning and ranting and smearing here as someone with "20+ plus years in the Business" with so called " Professionalism" has made you look like a fool!

Just after listening to you here I would NOT want to do business with you either!

You simply sound like a pain in the @ss

You could of of simply asked 1 or 2 questions and said ok I'll wait and call DAN Monday morning and get it settled. (Dan has Every right to share a PUBLIC SELLER name on a PUBLIC forum) Don't twist it.

You highjacked this thread for 4 long days and have acted completely Unprofessional in your Ranting vendetta. When everyone else knew.....MONDAY wait till MONDAY shutup and wait till MONDAY. Like I said you're impatient, perhaps spoiled,idk nor do I care.

So the 24 Claim was not fulfilled...we get it! Dan see's it we see it.

We didn't need 4 pages of piss ant blabbering to get it.

Now go grab a fishing rod, put away the phone and laptop....and Chill

It takes a lot to annoy me as I don't like doing this and hardly do.

Now go catch a Big one Happy Fishing :)

Last edited:
•••
We are protecting our customers by not working with sav.com. Nothing less, nothing more.

If Sav is doing something that's so bad that you'd take an unprecedented step like this, I think it would be nice to know what they're doing because that would help everyone understand this decision better.

According to Dan, It sounds like Sav has crossed a line that no other registrar has crossed, even compared to other registrars that have caused Dan problems, so it must be VERY serious to make Sav irredeemable.

The above quote implies that Sav is doing something much worse than just copying your landers, because I don't see how copying landers puts Dan users at risk - unless you can offer any clarity - then we'll have to assume Sav is doing something very, very shady to require such a heavy-handed response from Dan.

Why protect Sav and their reputation by keeping this a secret if it's as bad as you imply? If what they're doing is so bad, I feel like the domaining community should know.

Or if it's just about stealing landers and wanting to punish them for that, please realize you're also punishing your users.

Edit: I want to be super clear that I don't use Sav, I have no plans to use Sav, and I have no reason not to trust Dan. But it would be helpful to know if this is related to lander-stealing, or something much more sinister (Dan's response and actions strongly suggest that it's something more sinister, but confirmation would be nice - and also for the sake of warning other marketplaces and users not to risk working with Sav if they're putting us at risk...)

Last edited:
•••
I have to commend Dan, for bringing fresh change to the market, it allowed many new domainers to achieve success, whereas they may have been constrained otherwise.

I have to share somewhere where Dan is losing opportunity which is the crypto payment space. I am aware Dan accepts crypto payments, but I recently found out I had to send 3 emails, wait 2 days, and had 2 hours in my time zone at 2am to make payment. This is ok for me, but not acceptable for an end user.

A bit pay, or direct payment button is seriously needed, the money is flowing out there, and crypto buyers are just walking by, as they want to spend; but don’t know how to checkout.

•••
I'd like to know when DAN registrar will be launched. What will the advantages of having domains registered at Dan over those that are not?

Our registrar services will be cost price, we will never lock your domains (unless it's newly registered per ICANN rules), we will never increase our registration or renewal prices and domains managed at our registrar will be transferred close to instantly to buyers making the process extremely efficient and fast.

•••
Based on public data, Dan.com seems to be already bigger in the US than Sedo:

upload_2021-6-24_13-29-15.png

We seem to get close to what we call the "Flippening" where Dan.com officially attracts more unique visitors to its public marketplace than Sedo.

So let's play a game! The Namepros user that guesses the month when Dan.com for the first time attracts more unique visitors overall than Sedo according to Similarweb wins a $500 prize!

The rules are simple, simply mention the month and year (for example September 2021) in this thread and no duplicate guesses are allowed by different NPers so get your guess in fast!

Good luck!

•••
Okay, after a few deadbeats and false starts, I finally made my first sale on DAN.

Unfortunately, I woke up to an email offer at 6:30-7AM, stumbled out of bed half-asleep and started negotiating, and agreeing on a price, all the while either forgetting that the domain was still under 60-day lock or confusing it with another one that I've owned for a while.

I've never pulled this before (I've pushed on private sales, but never through a venue), but it's certainly not a good way to start the morning...

5fuj6d.jpg

But after outlining my "I need a time machine" screw-up, the Broker at DAN was very fast, efficient and competent, fixing it all up with the buyer, and allowing me to push the domain to its new owner. The transfer has been confirmed and the money was just paid out, and I was amazed by the speed, especially as this wasn't a fast-transfer .COM, but a ccTLD with a 60-day lock.

You never know how service & support really work until you hit a few snags, and DAN gets a AAA rating from me on this one.

Last edited:
•••
Hello Laszlo. Such distribution is an incredible and highly anticipated feature making Dan a direct competitor to Afternic and Sedo if I get it right.

Yet I just tried to check if my BIN domains listed on Dan show up at different registrars (Namecheap, Dynadot, Porkbun) as for sale, and I found none of them do.

So is this feature available only for some Dan sellers or how it works? Thank you!

Hi Goodkindname,

We're currently implementing the final improvements of the network with the first integrators before we announce all ins and outs of the network. Dan sellers are currently getting distributed sales without knowing since we also do not charge a higher commission for these sales.

The following promotional video of the network is not published yet, so do not share it on social or externally please but this gives a good impression of the tremendous value of the first open-domain distribution network built:

Our distribution network offers much more options than the current two closed networks, including activating distributed LTO transactions.

Potential integrators reading about the network for the first time can sign-up here: https://dan.com/api_partnership_program

Kind regards,

Dan

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back