IT.COM

.info Can't Decide Between .ORG & .INFO

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

So whats a better extension for a business card site

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • .INFO

votes
    40.7%
  • .ORG

votes
    59.3%
  • .TEL

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Hello guys,

I have this name domain which im going to use for online business card purposes, but im torn between using .ORG or .INFO im very much an .info fan but i dont see it really popular on where i live. Most end user dont even know .INFO(I think).

So should i just try to spread the love on .info?
or use an irrelevant more popular extension since i can see lots of business using .ORG too.
Stick to using .TEL? now im pretty sure they dont even know this one.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Org much better than info, imho.

•••
•••
Depending on the keyword and the focus for your domain I would say you have to think about it, but generally speaking .org would be more desirable because it is one of the most well known extensions...

Can't go far wrong with a .org :)

.Info is starting to get a little more recognised nowadays though, and in about 5-10 years it will be fairly commonplace, I don't think I have EVER seen a .tel being used though anywhere O_o

Last edited:
•••
I would personally go for .info but that is just me as I am big fan of .info extension and as you said it is for site as an online business card then .info would be quite suitable. When people go for .org and it is not non-profit organisation it always leave a feeling that they wanted .com but it was not available. But eater way would be fine as long as you feel happy with your decision as nowadays all the domain extensions are used for pretty much for everything, even .tel, would be fine, will stand out.

•••
I would personally go for .info but that is just me as I am big fan of .info extension and as you said it is for site as an online business card then .info would be quite suitable. When people go for .org and it is not non-profit organisation it always leave a feeling that they wanted .com but it was not available. But eater way would be fine as long as you feel happy with your decision as nowadays all the domain extensions are used for pretty much for everything, even .tel, would be fine, will stand out.

^^Totally Agree and very well said :)

•••
I don't see .org appropriate for a business, most people associate it with not for profit, I would go for a .info unless you are launching a charity or something like that.

•••

Last edited:
•••
For business card purposes I would use .biz before .org or .info

•••
Org much better than info, imho.

Spot on.

Can't go far wrong with a .org

Bingo x 2

I don't see .org appropriate for a business, most people associate it with not for profit, I would go for a .info unless you are launching a charity or something like that.

That thinking is so out of date that I think it went extinct with the dinosaurs. My biggest earner is a dot org and it is most certainly not a charity site. :)

Org carries with it a solid reputation all over the net. Dot info on the other hand has been linked to spammers somewhat due to it's very low price entry. Not saying you can't have success with a dot info...just that you are more likely to have it with a dot org.

For business card purposes I would use .biz before .org or .info

Not a big fan of .biz...but I do own some and I would have to agree with this statement. I would take it over a dot info in most cases, especially for this name since it fits rather well.

JMO

•••
It's a percentages game and some people will always associate .org with non profit and charities. .info doesn't have that problem.

If ICANN's new gTLDs enter the mainstream in the coming years then any meaning between the domain and the TLD will become increasingly important.

These days most of the spam points to sites using .com and a handful of ccTLDs. It's rare to see spam pointing to .info sites because it is a thick registry and all the WHOIS info is held at the registry and easier to shut down associated domains.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back