IT.COM

question Can I ask a registrar to renew a domain for me that's in redemption period with another customer?

NameSilo
Watch

Joash Boyton

RankNetworks.comEstablished Member
Impact
There's a domain that's in redemption period status, due to fully delete in 7 days from now.

Can I contact the registrar and ask them to renew the domain for me at the end of the redemption period, and transfer it to me? I'd be happy to pay the redemption fee on behalf of the current owner.

Is that a viable option and does every registrar have that power?

Basically I want to ensure I get the domain without it deleting and going to dropcatch.com

Is it possible for registrars to renew it on my behalf at the end of the redemption period when it's technically completely out of the current customers account?

Can they do it if they are financially incentivised, or is it a technical/legal issue?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If that was possible, dropcatch would still beat you.

•••
But it would technically never drop - it would be registered again by the registrar that holds it. Just the owner would change

•••
Absolutely not. It goes out into the drop/expired auctions pool where everyone has a shot to get it.

•••
That would be a nice work around to basically getting any expired domain without competition. But, it is not happening.

Brad

•••
once domain is in redemption, only the current domain owner can redeem it. Verisign decided this rule, cannot be overruled by registrar.

•••
Just ask the owner for the login credentials and job is done ;)

•••
I suspect they can do it in pending delete but not in redemption, because if they do it in redemption, then the "previous" owner could say, I renewed the domain. In that case he will remain as the owner, and it would look like you helped the him in finances, but Icann doesn't care about that part..

Last edited:
•••
There's a domain that's in redemption period status, due to fully delete in 7 days from now.

Can I contact the registrar and ask them to renew the domain for me at the end of the redemption period, and transfer it to me? I'd be happy to pay the redemption fee on behalf of the current owner.

Basically I want to ensure I get the domain without it deleting and going to dropcatch.com

Is it possible for registrars to renew it on my behalf at the end of the redemption period when it's technically completely out of the current customers account?

Can they do it if they are financially incentivised, or is it a technical/legal issue?

Thanks!

Why not just contact the current registrant and offer to buy the name? If in redemption that individual can still retain the name to enable the sale...imo.

•••
Domainers, since the beginning of domaining way back to the Stone Age when computers were made entirely of rock and cavemen first started using the word 'Dude', have been trying to figure out ways of nabbing expiring domains at this tiny little nexus moment:

The moment before the domain goes into pending delete, but after the owner loses control of redeeming that domain. That's a very powerful moment, domain-wise.

So far, only Verisign and the registrar have control of that moment. And by far the most registrars choose to use that moment for expired domain auctions and closeout sales. They make a LOT of money off that little moment.

So, what you just described wanting to do, is actually already being done. It's called expiring domain auctions, and closeouts, etc. And that's the only way it can be done relatively safely, because it doesn't actually affect the domain until that domain is out of the redemption phase. If you win an auction or a closeout, you pay the marketplace, but you haven't paid the domain's owner or for the domain renewal; you've just paid the marketplace for the CHANCE to pay for the renewal, and ownership of that domain, should the present owner continue to let the domain expire completely.

That leaves one degree of separation, which is necessary. If you were allowed to actually affect the domain before it was entirely out of the account/control of the present owner... there are all kinds of crazy things that can happen to mess that up for both parties, legally. So registrars (and Verisign) will never allow you to have even a TINY bit of affect on someone else's domain while they still own it, and that includes 'simply renewing that domain'.

Last edited:
•••
I suspect they can do it in pending delete

Definitely not. Only way a domain comes out if pending delete without being deleted is with a court order, or if registry screws up and it wasn't supposed to enter pending delete.

@Joash Your best bet is to backorder it at snapnames or namejet and at drop catch, but be ready to pay more than just a redemption fee.

•••
Well I am not sure how you even came up with this question because if this was happening then oh boy, what a mess.

•••
Can I contact the registrar and ask them to renew the domain for me at the end of the redemption period, and transfer it to me?
You can contact the registrar and ask them. No doubt.

•••
As @Szilard says above. Once in redemption only the original registrant can renew the domain. And depending on the registrar, there maybe time and price considerations. I think GoDaddy's price in redemption is $80+renewal and at eNom it's $240+renewal. For other registrar's, ask them, if you are still interested to buy from the original registrant.

•••
@Ryan217 Snapnames goes to private auction for those who requested the domain be caught but with dropcatch and namejet it goes to public auction? Is this accurate?

•••
I haven't used snapnames but I belive it is private. I know namejet is private but dropcatch is public. It is also my understanding that snapnames and namejet combine resources to catch names on the drop and its one auction between both platforms.

•••
@Ryan217 Snapnames goes to private auction for those who requested the domain be caught but with dropcatch and namejet it goes to public auction? Is this accurate?

SnapNames and NameJet does private auction for those who requested the domain whereas if there are already 2 bidders at DropCatch, then anyone can jump in and participate in an auction to ruin all the hard work of those 2 bidders.

•••
due to fully delete in 7 days from now.

As my understanding, once the redemption period ends, it starts the pending delete status, a one, unstoppable and no reverse way to the deletion of the domain.

•••
•••
•••
I don't think it's good to drag @ramkumaritrvs and damage his reputation. Giving reference this way doesn't looks good to me.
I would say he deserves after what he admitted to have done it. I wouldn't want someone to be doing that to my domains, Highly unprofessional and irresponsible.

•••
You Can't/ Only way is to get whois data (if available) and contact the current owner. But be ready to pay him or he will not waste his time

•••

Thanks!

only if you were the last owner.. thats how redemption fees work. for last owner.. not for next/future one ;)

•••
You must pay the registry like 10x reg. fee to capture it before anyone else like $80

•••
You must pay the registry like 10x reg. fee to capture it before anyone else like $80

GoDaddy are amongst the cheapest at $80. But they won't tell you who the registrant was. You'll need to find that out for yourself. Because only the original registrant can renew the domain. And I don't suppose they are going to do that for free :( eNom charge, I think $240 to renew after it's gone into redemption, and they never even publish the registrant anymore. So even more difficult to find out the registrant. You need to be a hard core researcher, to have ANY chance with actually buying a domain in redemption. It's not an easy task. Almost impossible with all the hurdles you need to jump over :( Chances are slim-to-none. Unless you are the original owner. Then you just pay the aforementioned Redemption Fees at your Registrar.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back