NameLot

Bidding on your own names at NameJet...?

Located in Domain Marketplace Reviews, started by webquest, Jul 18, 2017

Replies:
Views:

1. Ategy

Ategy NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.com VIP Gold Account

EDIT: (I obviously started writing my last reply way before you posted this last message)

Your's and other's insinuations were damaging enough.

From the very start he said he was exploring the idea in order to make domain auctions better.

Without even a shred of evidence it was completely wrong to even openly assume anything even remotely of the such. Your language and insinuations were borderline at best (on the wrong side of the border) .. other people's accusations were significantly more inappropriate.

What's worse is that for the most part people don't read through the middle of extended discussions like this. By the time it's all over people will miss the tiny little post in the middle saying that he indeed was not involved.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Hemanttilotia

Hemanttilotia Established Member

I don't know what portion of my comment you didn't understand.
    In the light of shill bidding, do you think Andrew's suggestion on DomainSherpa to a newbie that he can always find comfort that others are bidding on that domain; find any relevance?
    There would be a lot of domains inflated by shill bidding, which once bought will have no value.

Was referring to this comment by Andrew.

3. OralB

OralB Established Member

Just another observation Ive made going through some of the auctions I won on NameJet over the last 2 years is that hkdn only participates actively in public auctions, all his bids on pre-release or deleted auctions have always been $79.

4. Wannabean

Wannabean Top Contributor VIP

I'd say he has a point really. Especially for a newbie, if there are a lot of under bidders that's going to be a safety net for a future resale. If a newbie get's in to a bidding war with just 1 other bidder then that's a whole different kettle of fish.

5. pchip

pchip Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

It's great that you offered a public apology, given your openly, aggressive attack on Mr. Rosener and his company. Hopefully you learned a valuable lesson in attacking someone that openly without having facts to back them up.

6. Arca

Arca Top Contributor VIP

@Hemanttilotia - Is there a reason why you are not responding to any of the posts asking you to clarify the refund you said you got from NameJet, after reporting Oliver's bidding activity in certain auctions? If NameJet did provide you with a refund, that's a significant development in this case, and the nature of this refund and how they dealt with it would serve as a useful reference for other buyers in the same situation.

Here's the questions posed to you about the NameJet refund, would really appreciate if you could expound on your statement about being sent a refund due to Oliver's bidding activities:

Please clarify the nature of the auctions you got refunded for and which of Oliver's bid handle(s) bid you up in these auctions.

How did they determine the amount of money they refunded you for due to unnatural bidding in these auctions?

Was it a partial refund OR a full refund with (or without?) required return of domains in question...

Did they simply sent your payment back, or maybe they agreed to reverse the transaction so that the domain or domains in question are no longer yours?

7. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

hmmmmmm.. is nj seriously at the stage where they're issuing refunds already?

8. Ategy

Ategy NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.com VIP Gold Account

Do you honestly think they were thinking shill bidding was serious a problem when they were discussing that ???

No .. they were giving ADVICE to domainers with sub-par domains on how to POSSIBLY improve domain buys in the future.

In fact .. I remember in one of those conversations one of the sharpas even said not to even do that because they didn't think the person in question was ready to recognise the difference between a good and bad domain.

There certainly is some logic in what he is saying (even if I personally wouldn't do it). what they were saying was essentially that it is better to buy a commodity that is in demand. Which is a basic fundamental fact of economics.

Again .. you are 100% completely wrong to state that any person in a free society is not entitled to having or sharing their opinion!

If you were so concerned about his statements before .. why didn't you start a thread and share your concerns before just adding it to the completely unproven circumstances here?

Heck .. I don't have access to NameJet records .. and as such I didn't even say or claim he was innocent. But I can say that it is very very wrong to make false accusation and insinuations of guilt when there are no facts to back it up ... in fact .. it seems some were so in a rush to knock him down that you didn't even care to read the related posts in this thread where he and a couple of us stated that the discussion was purely hypothetical .. he even apologised that this thread was probably not the best place for this discussion .. and even invited a moderator to move those aspects of the discussion (omg .. looking back .. separating this thread between fact and theory would be more complicated than brain surgery .. lol)

Oh wait .. look what I just found .. back on page 10 of this very thread ...

9. JokersWild

JokersWild New Member

Why would someone have someone else list their own domains FOR THEM at Name Jet whenyou have your own account and list your own names...? LMFAO

I wish I owned BS.COM. That comment would be at the top of the list....

10. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Account Closed (Requested) VIP

Save-the-day comes to mind

11. ezee

ezee NADAMS VIP

Playing Judge, Jury and Executioner is very dangerous until all facts are investigated.

12. BaileyUK

I don't see any playing executioner. just an awareness.

some damn good stats to-boot

13. Beezy

Beezy Top Contributor VIP

Please repond to me and @Arca - is this true or false?

And if false, WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Thanks.

14. ezee

ezee NADAMS VIP

I agree awareness is key ,

15. BaileyUK

thanks ezee, lets hope, as been the case so-far that a willingness to acknowledge 'a poor performance' does not get overtaken by a ill-placed sense of defence -

16. Beezy

Beezy Top Contributor VIP

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  17. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

sounds better than their last post here.
    but this is a very long way still from ensuring people who were impacted in past for potentially huge sums, are taken care of.
    and I hope they will be!

18. toughdomains

toughdomains Top Contributor VIP

i personally feel NJ is focused only on selling the name. Meaning no attention is made on shill bidding or anything else. if you want to bid on your name and win it you have to pay them a commision to buy your own name. in the end they win. certainly not policed like other auction houses. also they allow post auction bids from bidders so if it doesnt sell you can hold off on your best bid conact NJ and they will try to negotiate a buy price with you. NJ is a great place to find many names but there are alot of issues. did I mention they hold your funds for 30 days? there is also no clear way to buy one of those banners promoting your portfolio. customer service says its something buyers do themselves but not additional info is given. they will also ask you to lower reserve prices if names dont sell. we have actually never sold a name for a profit on NJ...its good for large portfolio holders looking to sell names for a loss or break even.

19. 904.com

904.com Established Member

Good job Namepros. Its a start. New domain investors need to be protected from predatory behavior.

20. JB Lions

JB Lions Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

That's pretty much on you. You set the prices. As far as payment, they pay once a month, on time.

21. Silentptnr

Silentptnr Top Contributor VIP

Edited: already announced by @Beezy

22. toughdomains

toughdomains Top Contributor VIP

yes you set the price but NJ approves the domain and the price.
    when you list a name and try to sell it agian at the same price namejet may reject your listing and personally ask you to reduce your reserve or get rejected.
    So either you lower the price or dont list your name.

NJ also will keep your highest bid and bid history on all domains in their system.
    So when a name relists lowering the reserve often triggers a buy from someone who had bid not intended to buy the name trying to see what the reserve is.

they also dont want to bother with small portfolios so they often want you to list hundreds of names at once which they will stagger release dates. Its easy to set a price on a few names and calculate your name minus the commisssion..but when they force you to lower reserves you have to recalculate profits on hundreds of names and make sure you dont sell at a loss. Its easy to let one slip.

all these features are not set to help the domain seller they are forced upon you by namejet. now allow shil bidding and you have the perfect market to just get names sold at a volume and hold hundreds of thousands or millions of commission for a month. as a buyer you have to pay within a few days.

@JB Lions it very much feels like your avatar when you deal with them...

23. BaileyUK

new domain investors, that's a good-one. they don't really exist. any that seen the 4 LLLL (non pronounceable) as an investment need their head examined

24. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

25. hawkeye

hawkeye Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

??? I've never had to list 'hundreds' at once. Usually 30-40 at a time. Don't know where you got 'hundreds' from.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice