IT.COM

I am in auction for same domain name at both Snapnames and Namejet

NameSilo
Watch
I backordered a domain name at both snapnames and namejet. Now I am in an auction for the name at both places. I understand now that both auction companies are owned by the same company, but I don't understand how I should be bidding on the names in a couple days when the auction begins. Do I bid on both, or just pick one?

At both places, there is me and other other bidder. The other bidder has a different name at one auction site than the other. But are they really the same person? Are the sites merely mirroring each other?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no interest to bid in both places.
So most probably bidders are different.

•••
There is no interest to bid in both places.
So most probably bidders are different.
And thus...will the highest bidder between the two sites win? So technically, am I bidding against myself between the sites?

What if both sites end up with a high bid that is exactly the same amount, but from different bidders? Which one gets the name?

•••
I backordered a domain name at both snapnames and namejet. Now I am in an auction for the name at both places. I understand now that both auction companies are owned by the same company, but I don't understand how I should be bidding on the names in a couple days when the auction begins. Do I bid on both, or just pick one?

At both places, there is me and other other bidder. The other bidder has a different name at one auction site than the other. But are they really the same person? Are the sites merely mirroring each other?
The inventory is identical, you can have a different bidder id on NameJet than you have on SnapNames. You only have to bid at one place.

•••
The inventory is identical, you can have a different bidder id on NameJet than you have on SnapNames. You only have to bid at one place.
So the bidder against me on one side, and the bidder against me on the other side, are the same person. Everything is mirrored.

•••
If you bid on both side with the same proxy bid and you are the winner, you will be charged only on one platform. Which one has the priority? I don't know but I suppose the offer that was placed first

•••
Ha! This is interesting. I didn't look close enough before, but on each site it shows two bidders: me, and the "other me." LOL. So at Namejet it shows one bidder with my name, and the other bidder with "sn-[my snapnames user id]. At Snapnames, it shows me as one bidder and the other bidder as "nullnj-[my Namejet user name]. It's pulling the bidder in from the other site.

So, I am bidding against myself. But I see that the auctions are not open to the public, just me and my other me. So I need to NOT bid against myself on each one or I'll run the price up needlessly. :) Just let it end.

So the lesson of this is to always just pick either snapnames or namejet to backorder a name, never both for the same name. I don't know if one site is preferred over the other for any reason.

•••
Correct - just let it end - the bid they processed first (not necessarily the bid you placed first) will win if you do nothing. Then you have the joy of waiting for the giant clown barn to let you know which registrar is managing it and wait for those instructions. It can be one of the most frustrating experiences in domaining as some of these registrars assign you a different user name with every domain bought...

•••
i want them to get rid of NameJet and keep SnapNames.

Having two is redundant; I prefer SnapNames.

Fascinating thread, @markfromslo.

Last edited:
•••
Glad you discovered it was the other you before you got into a bidding war!!!

IMO it never hurts to place a MINIMUM bid on BOTH sites and then place any subsequent bids on whichever website you prefer to win the domain at. (That way in the unlikely event ONE of the websites goes down, you still can bid using the "backup" website.)

Last edited:
•••
Correct - just let it end - the bid they processed first (not necessarily the bid you placed first) will win if you do nothing. Then you have the joy of waiting for the giant clown barn to let you know which registrar is managing it and wait for those instructions. It can be one of the most frustrating experiences in domaining as some of these registrars assign you a different user name with every domain bought...

I was just about to backorder a name on NameJet that I already backordered on SnapNames and the sites looked eerily similar. So I came here and viola! Your post about clown barn is spot on. What a joke. Why have 2 identical websites? Just point NJ to SnapNames and be done with it.

•••
Usually, when I bid against myself I lose. :xf.confused:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back