IT.COM

Bidding on your own names at NameJet...?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Once in awhile I see people bidding on their own domains at NJ. I would think it would be frowned upon.

Today's seems more obvious than normal. Or am I missing something here?

Airlinejobs.com owned by Andy Booth at Booth.com and high bidder is BQDNcom (James Booth).

3 bids down we see Boothcom as a bidder.

Same thing with MovieZone.com. Owned by Andy Booth in which he currently appears to be the high bidder.

High Bid: $2,475 USD by boothcom

They actually won their own domain airplanesforsale.com. Im guessing it didnt get as high as they wanted so needed to protect it.

Bidder Amount Date
bqdncom $2,001 7/17/2017 12:23 PM
boothcom $1,950 7/17/2017 12:23 PM

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is TOTAL BULLSHIT!!
These are scams not auctions.
If you want to set up a system for owners to bid, then do it in the light of day!
Namejet should shut this down immediately AND a complete audit should be done!!
Bidders should have the option to walk away from tainted deals!

•••
I did a little digging myself into the featured seller account mentioned initially. These featured pages seem to all be Oliver Hoger's:

http://www.namejet.com/featuredauctions/6ifd5lvs
http://www.namejet.com/featuredauctions/8fyd9zfl
http://www.namejet.com/featuredauctions/9rev0pcj

So I can also check which auctions run through those featured pages were bid on by "seek" which is Oliver's known NJ alias.

Take a look at this (click for larger):

oliver-hoger.jpg

Auctioned by Oliver, bid on by Oliver above the min back order, and confirmed by WHOIS history to have been owned by him at the time.

So I dug deeper. It turns out for the first featured seller account above, user "seek" bid in 18 of those auctions and was the runner-up in three. For his second featured seller account he bid in 17 auctions and was the runner-up in four. For his third featured seller account he bid in 46 auctions and was the runner up in one. Didn't win any though, that's some fancy shilling! I can provide proof of all this if you need more than the above screenshot.

Here's where it gets REALLY interesting:

IAOR.com | Ended 2016-12-13 & Re-auctioned 2017-01-17
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3866603&lt=reports
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3879552&lt=reports

Seek bid in the first auction which is how it got my attention. Picked up from Domain Capital around April 15, 2015. Switches to privacy a few months later as part of a move to eNom (but the NS never changes) and is then auctioned by Oliver. Then a month after the first auction WHOIS switches back to his name, is re-auctioned, and then stays in his name another four months before he sells it to another domainer. The same alias won it both times and it never changed hands.

Auction doesn't show as cancelled, so this could be an example where he won by accident and ate the commission, and warrants further exploration. Checking "winner8888" this alias has bid in 318 of Oliver's first featured account (a quarter of all of them!), was the winner in 6 of them, and was the runner up in 17 of them. In fact, all six of Oliver's auctions that winner8888 won are still owned by Oliver, or were owned by him months after the auction completed successfully before being re-sold:

http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3880556&lt=reports
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3879552&lt=reports
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3866603&lt=reports
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3864440&lt=reports
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3862385&lt=reports
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3862353&lt=reports

What are the odds that all six domains won were paid for (we know because it wasn't cancelled and the user wasn't banned) but the winner never once updated the WHOIS? I'm not a betting man, but I'd be willing to wager that winner8888 is (one of) Oliver's shill account(s). So I spot checked a bunch of other domains won by this account, and all that I checked had WHOIS in Oliver's name. Seems this account belongs to Oliver, unless I'm missing something.

So I checked Oliver's two other featured auction pages to see what kind of damage winner8888 is doing. This account bid in 286 auctions run by his second featured account, won one, and was the runner-up in 14. And it bid in 217 auctions for his third featured account, won two, and was the runner-up in three.

In total it seems that he has bid in at least 902 of his own auctions from two different aliases, and that's just the accounts we know about.

Anyway, it's harder to do this kind of deep dive for the Booth brothers since they don't have their own auction page, and they likely legitimately bid in many of Oliver's auctions since all three guys are into short domains. But let's check.

Bid on by "boothcom":

6ifd5lvs: Bid on four, won one, runner-up in two.
8fyd9zfl: Bid on 0.
9rev0pcj: Bid on 0.

And for "bqdncom":

6ifd5lvs: Bid on eight, won two, runner-up in one.
9rev0pcj: Bid on one, runner-up in one.

I blew through all my WHOIS history queries for the month (ouch!) but if anyone wants to look into these 13 auctions to see if any were owned by the Booth brothers at the time they were bidding on them shoot me a PM and I'll get you the list. EDIT: Someone is running this for me now, no need for further assistance. Thanks.

Time for me to be black-balled, lol :) These views are my own, and I'm not speaking on behalf of any company I work for and the respective company owners are not aware of this post. I have to run out for a few hours so might be slow to reply to any follow-up questions.

Last edited:
•••
HI,

Sorry for delay i was traveling and cannot believe what has been said.

Everyone let me explain:

Winner888:
I have a automated bidding system that would backorder ALL the domains and bid last minute to grab bargains.
Its a script works via api would bid on all CVCV up to $2500-3000 i set daily limit on the patterns i would want to buy.

On slow days i got good deals on short domains i trade in
LLLL.com / CVCV.com / LL.com / LLL.com / NNNN.com / NNNNN.com / CCC.com etc...

I won allot of domains and a few of mine so this got closed down months ago already due to this..
Im trying to fix to be able to exclude all my domains.

Bids that hit reserve:
We do allot of next bid wins. Most of you don't know how this works.
My auctions have a reserve price. On the last day of the auction or in the last few hours
I see what the high bids are and then send namejet a list of domains ask to to set next bid wins.
So it is not that someone is bidding just under reserve.
I am lowering the reserve to just above the highest bid so that the next bid hits reserve and the domain will sell.
Just lowering reserve. Flippa has this same function built into their seller platform. You can reduce reserve any time.
Buyers are bidding the amount that they are willing to bid. I am not changing that.
I just lower reserve with next bid wins so that more domains sell.

Regarding MediaOptions:
I have done business with them for many years on the buyer’s side, seller’s side and as a broker.

Regarding HDKN:
I know HDKN and he is a big buyer of short domains, which is what I sell. I am not HDKN. I do not have access to HDKN account.
I sent him (and others) my featured listings.
All his bids and purchases are legitimate.
It has happened that I have bought some domains back from him in the past when I felt the prices were too low.

I'm sorry that I have caused so much problems and confusion. I never intended to do anything that would harm anyone.

Oliver.
Between 2016-11-29 and 2017-02-19 when your winner8888 "bot" was active, it does seem to have bid almost exclusively on 4L.com, 3L.net, 5N.com, and 3C.com. So that almost seems plausible... but do you know how many public auctions during this period matched any of those patterns? 14,901 Guess how many your bot participated in... 2,157 for a total of only 14%.

During that period you ran 846 auctions matching those patterns, you know how many your bot bid in? 714 for a total of 84%. Weird, your bot was in such a low percentage of those auctions but managed to barely miss any of your own. Not to mention that 33% of your total bids in these categories were for your own auctions, even though your own auctions only represented 6% of the inventory in that category. Meaning you were almost 6x more likely to bid in your own auction than a random seller's auction for those categories. Probably just a coincidence, although I wonder why you didn't run the API on your main account, and instead created a second account that wasn't an alias everyone knows you by.

Even if all this is true, your bot is supposed to represent you. Meaning if you didn't stop it from bidding in your own auctions, either because you somehow didn't connect the dots that you were selling the same types of names your bot buys, or you were too lazy/cheap to get it done (it's a 30 minute job tops), then you still did quite a bit of damage that NameJet needs to correct. More than 1,000 auctions...

Now even if we take that story at face value, which is very hard to swallow, you offered up no explanation how you managed to bid in 148 of your own auctions from your "seek" account, which is not a bot. Ok, you're running dozens of auctions a day and own a large portfolio, mistakes can happen. But 148 times? Bidding so aggressively that you were the runner-up in 16 of them without recognizing the names? Even manually winning two that you already owned? That's pretty nutty.

Especially considering that your explanation for the reserves getting hit the way they did means you were reviewing your auctions ending that day, every day, to determine what to drop the reserve on. So in the span of less than a day, you take a close look at your names ending that day as part of your reserve strategy, and forget them so completely that you don't even recognize them later when you're bidding on them? Weird.

And even if all of this is still true, there's a very, very serious problem at NameJet that they have no protection in place so basic as determining when a seller is bidding on his own auctions. And that they swept it under the rug five months ago without making anybody whole.

So that about covers it, other than the Booth situation and all the oddities that suggest you may actually be HKDN. Probably more coincidences and happenstance.

•••
I was really curious what the damage appears to be so far, so I wrote a script to analyze around 1.55 million bids and generate recommended refunds. I realize this is very premature because NameJet hasn't even confirmed or denied that these accounts participated in shill bidding or determined how to move forward, but I've heard people throwing out some wild guesses like tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars lost and I really doubted that to be the case. In the interest of transparency I want to discuss my method a bit, although several people have told me this approach is still too kind to NJ.

What I did was I looked for public auctions with reserve met, where one of the suspicious aliases was the runner up. Then I looked for the next legitimate bid that wasn't the winner or the suspicious aliases being looked at. That third-party bid was used as the baseline. If the next bid was made by the winner, that became the amount the auction should have closed at. If the next bid was a suspicious alias, I used one bid increment (based on the price level) above the third-party bid to be the new closing price.

This solution isn't perfect because it still works with the "new" price even if that wouldn't have met reserve. In my view the correct way to handle this scenario is to let the winner have it at the calculated price, even if that was below the reserve. I don't think a shill bidder should have rights to enforce a reserve after the deed. The only other options I can think of would be to treat the reserve as the "new" price, or to offer a full refund and the winner returns the domain which might have been sold on already.

Some people feel this method is still too generous and that all of the shill bids should be removed, because it only credits winners when the runner-up was a shill. Take, for example, a situation where the shiller went back and forth with someone, the legitimate bidder led, and then a third party jumped in to win. My method would say that no refund is due at all, even though the auction may have ended much lower without the shill.

But I stand by this method because trying to figure out where this scenario would have ended is messy at best, and is likely impossible. No way to know where in the bidding one of the two real bidders would have given up, and the only reasonable case you can actually make is that it would have ended in the same place (but that ignores the "social proof" of the shill).

Anyway, let me give you the output from a single auction to make it more clear:

================
filet.com closed on 2017-07-10 at $9800
Refund of $2200 is recommended for juggernaut. ($9800 - $7600)
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3951668

Reasoning:
juggernaut bid $9800 at 2017-07-10 16:16:00
hkdn bid $9700 at 2017-07-10 16:16:00
hkdn bid $9564 at 2017-07-10 16:11:00
juggernaut bid $9464 at 2017-07-10 16:11:00
hkdn bid $8989 at 2017-07-10 16:10:00
juggernaut bid $8889 at 2017-07-10 16:10:00
hkdn bid $8588 at 2017-07-10 16:05:00
juggernaut bid $8488 at 2017-07-10 16:05:00
hkdn bid $8388 at 2017-07-10 16:05:00
juggernaut bid $8288 at 2017-07-10 16:05:00
hkdn bid $8164 at 2017-07-10 16:00:00
juggernaut bid $8064 at 2017-07-10 16:00:00
hkdn bid $7878 at 2017-07-10 15:55:00
juggernaut bid $7778 at 2017-07-10 15:55:00
hkdn bid $7600 at 2017-07-10 15:43:00 <= Winner would have bid this with no shill.
neally bid $7500 at 2017-07-10 15:43:00 <= Last legitimate third-party bid.
================

This is a prime example of the reserve issue. The only way hkdn could have bid twice at the end was if the reserve was not met yet, so that means the reserve was likely somewhere between $9,700 and $9,799 and the "new" price would be way below the reserve. But I still think the recommendation is good.

Here are the results broken down by suspicious alias, across all five seller accounts:

SEEK: $3,582 in recommended refunds across 16 auctions.
WINNER8888: $19,171 in recommended refunds across 40 auctions.

I'm running this separately because I'm still not sure hkdn is a shill, although all evidence points to it and nothing that I can find points to it being a legitimate bidder with a real identity. But anyway:

HKDN: $839,346 in recommended refunds across 2243 auctions.

The number of auctions affected don't exactly match up to the number of times each alias was a runner up that I mentioned before. The reason is that, let's say HKDN was the runner up but seek was the winner, in that case it wouldn't recommend a refund or be considered an affected auction. Plus I also gathered a little more data.

So that's either $22,753 in refunds if hkdn is legitimate, or $862,099 in refunds if the alias is a shill, using a method that may be generous to NameJet. The first two aliases seem to mostly push the reserve and then walk away, or place a few early bids, maybe to move it up when people sort by bid/price. So while the calculated refunds aren't astronomical if HKDN is real, it is still a big deal because these two aliases still unduly influenced more than 1,250 auctions in some way or another even if it wasn't a run-up at the end. If HKDN is a shill it's a really, really big problem.

Obviously NameJet may find no fault, or they may find fault but not give refunds, or choose a different method for calculating refunds. This report is completely unofficial, may be incomplete, and I have no involvement in this decision so don't take it too seriously. Just wanted to get people's heads out of the stratosphere.

I also looked into "russell" that several people mentioned. I really, really hope you guys are wrong about that because that account has been active since at least 2008, has been involved in nearly 25k auctions (6.7k of which were Oliver's), and placed more than $2 million in back orders and bids. I'll look into this more when I have time and more WHOIS history queries.

If anyone wants the output for their particular alias just shoot me an email to [email protected] (replace xx).

•••
Whatever the case may be from each side (and whatever truth is revealed/proven), one thing that will always remain true is: Allowing domain owners to bid on their own auctions will break not only all that is moral about domain auctions (which is already a fine line), but the system in and of itself.

Let's be honest here, not everyone walks a moral high ground, most people have zero morals an are absolutely blinded by the "all mighty" dollar. The chance to increase their return would blind them and their intent will be purely based on increasing that value by bidding up their own auctions. It already happens, and to green light that behavior would be catastrophic and detrimental to our industry.

Our job as a community is to find these issues, mend them, and apply the appropriate actions to ensure the longevity, and integrity of our industry. If we lose sight of what is truly important, we all lose.

•••
HKDN participated in 7142 public auctions of which 5194 were Oliver's, so 73% of his public auction activity. He won 425 public auctions of which 379 were Oliver's, so 89% of his wins. He spent $189,421 of which $177,404 went to Oliver, so 94% in terms of dollar volume. He was the runner up in 2560 public auctions of which 2260 were Oliver's, so 88% of the time he was a runner up. Oliver may have more auction pages I'm not aware of or were shut down so the results could be even higher.

This mysterious "large buyer" seems very into Oliver's auctions. In theory if this alias is Oliver, he would have paid out $17,704 in commissions to NJ on accidental wins but pushed up bids more than $800k for other winners, so that would be a hell of a return. With all I said above, several of HKDN's wins going back to Oliver after being briefly in the WHOIS as Marque, the parking stuff Donny found, the WHOIS for HKDN being completely fake, etc. I find it really hard to believe this is a legitimate buyer. All of this is, of course, circumstantial though.

Again, my last post about winner8888 which Oliver confirms is his but says it is a bot, had incorrect stats. Some people missed my correction post or misunderstood me so I want to clarify. It actually participated in 85% of auctions across all the targeted inventory and 84% across Oliver's inventory, so it didn't seem to favor his own auctions at all in terms of back orders. So that doesn't contradict his claims.

That said, the alias was twice as likely to win an auction that wasn't Oliver's, almost 3x as likely to be a runner up in auctions that weren't Oliver's, and paid more than 6x in dollar volume on wins that weren't Oliver's. Wouldn't it stand to reason that if it was an unbiased bot, that the percentage of wins, runner-ups, and amount spent should be pretty proportional to Oliver's auctions versus other people's auctions?

To me this pattern feels like a human legitimately bidding in other people's auctions, but then also using the account to goose his own. Maybe it is a half-truth, the "bot" part of it is placing back orders, and then he manually bids. I find it hard to believe the bot was sophisticated enough to jump in and actually place real money, live bids but was not sophisticated enough to avoid his own auctions.

And again, even if it was a bot it is still his responsibility to make sure it doesn't violate TOS and bid on his own auctions. The winners of these auctions that fought winner8888 need to be made whole, either by NameJet or Oliver, to the tune of nearly $20k.

And the fact remains that Oliver bid in 148 of his own auctions as seek. He claimed to be reviewing his auctions daily to send reserve price drops to NameJet (seems true), so I find it hard to believe he didn't recognize his own names just hours later when he was bidding. But again, even if it was an honest mistake those bidders need to be made whole who fought seek and won in his own auctions, to the tune of more than $3.5k.

If Oliver is HKDN then I don't think either NJ or Oliver can afford to make that right, it is more than $800k in refunds using a conservative method.

Regarding the Booth auctions, I haven't posted anything because I couldn't find anything really damning. Boothcom bid in four of Oliver's auctions and won one of them, and BQDNcom bid in 13 of Oliver's auctions and won 4. I believe only a couple were owned by Andy, so this seemed more likely to be an honest mistake than a shill bidding scheme.

But what @tld_org said is spot on, if Andy thought these were Oliver's why wasn't he clued in when he saw Oliver bidding to win? Andy claims he thought Oliver wasn't paying close enough attention, but he didn't think it was a serious enough problem to call/text/email him and let his close friend know he was accidentally shill bidding? Maybe he knew of Oliver's activities all along?

Last edited:
•••
Hi all - Thanks for the heads-up. We are currently investigating this matter. We obviously do not condone any kind of shill bidding on NameJet, so we take this very seriously. I will post an update when I have one. Thanks again.

-JT

•••
First off, you are absolutely correct that since it is against Namejet TOS then the simple answer is that bidding on your own domain is wrong. But again, I'm not debating that. What I'm trying to debate is whether or not this should be changed.

You are NOT deceiving anyone in an open auction with no reserve by bidding on your own name. Nobody is being fooled. The owner is bidding for a domain no different and with equal chance like everyone else. This is a fact. It is not debatable. If he wins he buys the domain for (ex) $10,000. If he loses someone else buys the domain for $10,000. If the losing party thought the domain was worth more they would have placed another bid. That is the beauty of free market capitalism and market pricing.

When Tucows buys back their own stock from the market they are essentially doing the exact same thing. They have more information than the average investor in the market. They feel good about the future prospects of the business relative to the current share price and so they buy back shares for the benefit of existing shareholders. If they did NOT feel good about the future relative to the current share price than they would not buy those shares.

If I put xyz.com in auction on Namejet with NO RESERVE and the auction is about to close at $20,000 but I think this domain has a good chance of selling someday for $100,000 then why shouldn't I be able to buy it back for more than the current bid? If the high bidder also thinks it is worth more than they will outbid me (again). And again and again. At the end one party values the asset higher than the others and they win the auction and pay the price.

Who got fooled?
Your commission on NameJet is 10% so if you bid $10,000 you are really bidding $1,000 because you'll get $9,000 of it back when they settle up with you next month. That puts you at a distinct advantage over legitimate bidders because you're only risking that you marginally increase your cost-basis in the name.

Let's use actual numbers to make this more clear. Say you get lucky and score an LLL.com for $15k from an original registrant that you feel is easily worth $25k. You throw it in a no-reserve auction on NJ, and towards the end the bidding is at $20k and you're freaking out, so you decide to bid yourself.

You successfully drive the price up to $24k and leave someone holding the bag. You made an extra $4,000 and at your last bid of $23,800 you only risked adding $2,380 to your cost basis in the name. Although to drive the price up from $20k to $24k with one other bidder you'd have to risk more than $2k twelve times which is a little crazy. But if you're really good at maxing people out without winning (backing down before reaching psychological thresholds like $10k etc) or your mini-war causes other people to jump in, it could be really profitable for the seller despite the risk.

That isn't free market capitalism, that is an incentive to place fraudulent bids. If this rule existed, sellers would be bidding in their own auctions hoping to get second place, pushing proxy bids, etc. not submitting honest bids because they believe the market value is higher. Plus it wouldn't be clear to the other bidder(s) that the seller was participating, and they wouldn't know the "social proof" was bullshit.

Just set a reserve, or be willing to accept what the market decides it is worth without you "influencing" the results. Your example of forfeiture auctions doesn't hold water because the government or bank is the owner at the time of the auction. What it would actually be more akin to is selling your house, and telling someone who submits an offer that you received a higher offer when you actually didn't, just because you think the house is worth more.

Here's an example of a Real Estate agent being fined $10,000 for making up phantom offers:
https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/10/13/phantom_bid_victims_come_forward.html

So yea... I would say that is frowned upon and is an ethical violation.

Time to get back to reading the thread, only on page 3 out of 11. Just had to chime in on this.

•••
Unfortunately I found two more featured auction pages that appear to be Oliver:

http://www.namejet.com/featuredauctions/2cpd2hzh
http://www.namejet.com/featuredauctions/7syi4nah

So now here are the totals from the two accounts I'm pretty sure are him:

6ifd5lvs - Seek bid on 18, winner8888 bid on 318.
8fyd9zfl - Seek bid on 17, winner8888 bid on 286.
9rev0pcj - Seek bid on 46, winner8888 bid on 217.
2cpd2hzh - Seek bid on 25, winner8888 bid on 261.
7syi4nah - Seek bid on 42, winner8888 bid on 54.

That's a total of 1,284 auctions that are suspect.

A few hours ago I got an interesting email from someone who wishes to remain anonymous saying that "hkdn" is suspected to be Oliver as well. I can't find any direct link because the WHOIS is always the same (and fake) when this account wins, at least after spot checking a bunch. But then I noticed something interesting:

6ifd5lvs - HKDN bid on 935, won 84, and was the runner up in 432.
8fyd9zfl - HKDN bid on 1035, won 75, and was the runner up in 403.
9rev0pcj - HKDN bid on 1271, won 64, and was the runner up in 625.
2cpd2hzh - HKDN bid on 841, won 56, and was the runner up in 409.
7syi4nah - HKDN bid on 1115, won 100, and was the runner up in 464.

That in and of itself is not interesting other than the huge volume, 5197 auctions bid on, but where it gets interesting is that 72% of the public auctions this account has ever participated in were Oliver's. Highly suspicious, but circumstantial.

And there were several examples of domains that were auctioned by Oliver, won by HKDN, WHOIS changed to the fake one, and then changed back to Oliver a couple of months later. Again I'm out of WHOIS history queries so I can't independently confirm this, but the source seems solid. Plenty of potential explanations for that so still nothing definitive as far as this alias is concerned, but NJ should still look into it.

If that alias is also Oliver, this already-serious problem just got 5x worse. And this account is by far the most aggressive at pushing bidders up.

•••
Big THUMBS UP for the "Investigation" you guys are doing here!!!

•••
In a response to this post I will give you what I've found from my point of view.
"
Hemanttilotia said:
Thanks. Exactly my point, that this HKDN guy knew about the reserve and just made a bid that was just short of the reserve.
I too think it's Oliver only.
I would request DSAD staff and Shane to clarify as to why they removed content from May 14th article about HKDN.
It's getting indexed on Google but not there in the post.
I think they got some warning from NameJet, their sponsors, or were asked by Oliver to put that down.
If NameJet asked them, then I think NameJet would be in deep trouble here
"

I checked my post on May 14th and the revisions and see nothing about HDKN. Maybe I did but I have no recollection of mentioning it as all. But I wrote about HDKN publicly several times. I put exactly what you all are saying in this thread in print months ago for the world to see.

On May 17th I wrote
https://dsad.com/domain-shanes-daily-list-domains-auction-wednesday-may-17th/

If you see HDKN as a bidder today you can be assured that this account has made a bid is just below the reserve price. If you want the name and bid you will meet reserve. But its not natural and blatantly obvious. I know because there I’ve tested it (actually wanted one of the names)

On May 24th I wrote

https://dsad.com/domain-shanes-daily-list-domains-auction-wednesday-may-24th/

in this post I wrote

These.com HDKN has a bid at $14,000 which lately has been a shill bidder that bids right below the reserve so my guess is the next bid meets reserve. Great name and worth the price in my opinion.

I have never been asked by Namejet to remove anything. I can write whatever I want and always have. I get paid by Namejet to promote their auctions. I am paid monthly and not by sales. Nothing effects my payment from Namejet other than they think my traffic sent to their auctions is not worth their payment. I am not told what to put on my list and have never been sent or guided to list one single name by Namejet.

Now that's out of the way. Yes. I called Jonathan about HDKN. I noticed his bids on the names I was bidding on and to me it looked unnatural. I was pissed that I lost Spreader.com to HDKN. I had not bid on names because he was setting his bids at reserve and I wasn't going to play that game. But this time I lost the name to him and he came in late. I was hot. I called again and simply said "if I find that name going back into Oliver Holgers account I am am going to go off" He told me that Marquee solutions was one of the biggest buyers on Namejet and they were legit. I did some homework and saw they bought a HUGE amount of names and maybe just maybe they were legit. And to this day its still in their account. Even though its in in that account it turns out I may have been right all along.

Like DomainGang's post today. I sleep very well. I knew there was shill bidding going on and I called the manager and told him. Which is more than most people have done. I called because it effected me and I thought it was BS. I am not a watchdog like Kosta but I do call directly to the head when I see something fishy. But I had no idea it was this deep. Yet it does not surprise me at all. The coding at Namejet is old and outdated. The backend is archaic and everyone with an API and scripts have more data than they do about who is bidding on what.

I think the industry needs Namejet. They have great inventory and we need good fresh inventory. But this has to be cleaned up. They have to be willing to ban people who break TOS regardless of how much they spend or bring in. Regardless of relationship. And since they didn't take me seriously, maybe now they will listen. And again, like DomainGang said. I do feel like I am an honest domainer and all honest domain investors should be pissed when another domain investor is stealing from you. That's not up for discussion

•••
Give em a break. They forgot to log into their shilling accounts..

•••
All this BS tells me is names that I ended up buying at Namejet for x,xxx I could have bought for xxx. What a crock of shit this is.

Nobody should be allowed to bid up their own names or shill bid for their pals. Period.

The bullshit in this industry never ceases to amaze me.

•••
I am not here accusing anybody of anything, but as @Oliver Hoger said he was not HKDN I decided to do a little digging.

One of Oliver's domains is these.com, it has his name on the whois. The domain is pointing to ParkingCrew, and it has a DRID of as-drid-2397039701937088.

One of HDKN's domains is spreader.com, the whois shows that Marque Solutions with an email address of [email protected] owns the domain. The domain is also pointing to ParkingCrew, and it has the same exact DRID of as-drid-2397039701937088.

This means that Oliver and HKDN are sharing the same account with ParkingCrew. I did find multiple examples like this.

These are facts, no BS. Oliver and HKDN are the same person.

Donny

Last edited:
•••
I stopped going to Domain Conferences years ago 2009 was last one, ended it with a bang, with a blow out party at Domain Fest Playboy Mansion party. Ron Jeremy porn star was at the party, he had less filth, dirt, scum on him than half the domain speakers there who are suppose to be leaders of the industry.

75% of these people who you think are leaders, guru's are not, many are con artists and the only way to know is to expose them. 25% are great, Rick Schwartz, Michael Berkens, and a few other's. Michael Berkens is a very good friend of mine, and one of my mentor's so I was very blessed to follow and listen to the right person, but be careful who you guys listen to, most are full of BS.

Reputation is everything! And for people who think they can get away with shit, they will be brought down, I have seen it over and over and over.

Last edited:
•••
Again and for the last time, I am NOT supporting shill bidding. I'm supporting the IDEA of openly allowing owners to participate in auctions which have NO RESERVE. Everyone has a fair and equal shot at buying the asset. Where is the flaw?
But it is still shill bidding.

noun
(on an online auction) the illegal practice of a seller or a seller’s acquaintances placing bids on his or her goods in order to drive up the price
Source: Definition of shill bidding from the Collins English Dictionary

noun [uncountable] shill bidding pronunciation in British English /ˈʃɪl ˌbɪdɪŋ/
the practice of bidding for something that you are selling in an auction in order to increase the selling price
Shill bidding is against the law.
Source: Definition of shill bidding from the Macmillan Dictionary

What you're saying here is that it's ok and not shill bidding as long as it's done openly (under your own alias) but it is completely wrong. You are gaming the system. Whether you're doing it openly or covertly is somewhat of a moot point.
If you're not seeing the legal and ethical problems here it is unfortunate.

If a domain is listed for sale with no reserve I actually don’t see the problem with an owner bidding for the domain. In a city tax auction or any other type of asset forfeiture auction it is standard that creditors or prior owners would be bidding in the auction right up against other unrelated bidders. Very standard.
There is a fundamental flaw in this reasoning. In a forfeiture or tax sale (forced sale) you no longer own and control the asset, thus you are deprived of the opportunity to manipulate the market price. The distinction is fundamental because it makes the difference between (prosecutable) fraud/insider trading and bona fide auctioning.
It's the same thing with corporate stock buybacks. You are buying back something that you used to own, but the market price is no longer dictated by you.

It's not a free market when you're shill bidding on your own assets. It is the Wild West. You are bidding against your potential buyers. A free market has to be fair.
What you are performing is not even a true no-auction sale because:
If you list a name without reserve but you keep a secret reserve by shill bidding on the name, you are in fact deceiving people to think they have a chance to buy the name at a certain price point when no chance is there.
But I enjoy these threads because you get to see which domainers have ethics and common sense and which do not. No screen caps necessary for me, I have a good memory. Keep posting folks.

It is all about trust in the process. If I don't trust that the process is fair then I am not going to be a part of it. I'm not going to bid against someone who has no honest interest in the domain but whose sole goal is to drive up the price because they are profiting. Shill bidding is banned by every respectable auction house because they know if people lose trust in the process then there will be no bidders at their auctions.
Exactly right. Allowing or tolerating bids from sellers raises suspicion that impropriety may be going on and undermines trust in the marketplace. You don't bid on your own sales period.

•••
one or more lawyer comments...

Well, I don't know if it is a lawyer comment or not, but I would suggest that when the cops are raiding the local massage parlor, it's not the best time to pose the intellectual question, "Why do we have a ban on indentured servitude, anyway?"

•••
So now I have 3 accounts at Namejet. My original account and two more I just opened. The second and third account are totally fake with fake names and info and each was opened with different email addresses and a visa gift card as the credit card info and google phone numbers.

I placed multiple bids on the same names from all 3 accounts.

I am ready to shill bid if anyone needs my services. I will be shilling on my own auctions when needed. :) I am obviously kidding.

I did this to see how easy it is to shill bid if I really wanted to. How the fuck in the year 2017 am I able to have 3 accounts at a supposedly secure auction house all from the same exact IP?

What a joke, and they wonder why people don't trust their company. They can't even secure the most basic entry point for people to easily shill.

@Rick Schwartz should tweet that and @equity78 should write a story about what a joke it is.

•••
I did a little digging myself into the featured seller account mentioned initially. These featured pages seem to all be Oliver Hoger's:

So I can also check which auctions run through those featured pages were bid on by "seek" which is Oliver's known NJ alias.

oliver-hoger.jpg

Auctioned by Oliver, bid on by Oliver above the min back order, and confirmed by WHOIS history to have been owned by him at the time.

So I dug deeper. It turns out for the first featured seller account above, user "seek" bid in 18 of those auctions and was the runner-up in three. For his second featured seller account he bid in 17 auctions and was the runner-up in four. For his third featured seller account he bid in 46 auctions and was the runner up in one. Didn't win any though, that's some fancy shilling! I can provide proof of all this if you need more than the above screenshot.

Seek bid in the first auction which is how it got my attention. Picked up from Domain Capital around April 15, 2015. Switches to privacy a few months later as part of a move to eNom (but the NS never changes) and is then auctioned by Oliver. Then a month after the first auction WHOIS switches back to his name, is re-auctioned, and then stays in his name another four months before he sells it to another domainer. The same alias won it both times and it never changed hands.

Auction doesn't show as cancelled, so this could be an example where he won by accident and ate the commission, and warrants further exploration. Checking "winner8888" this alias has bid in 318 of Oliver's first featured account (a quarter of all of them!), was the winner in 6 of them, and was the runner up in 17 of them. In fact, all six of Oliver's auctions that winner8888 won are still owned by Oliver, or were owned by him months after the auction completed successfully before being re-sold:

http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3880556&lt=reports
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3864440&lt=reports
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3862385&lt=reports
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/StandardDetails.aspx?auctionid=3862353&lt=reports

What are the odds that all six domains won were paid for (we know because it wasn't cancelled and the user wasn't banned) but the winner never once updated the WHOIS? I'm not a betting man, but I'd be willing to wager that winner8888 is (one of) Oliver's shill account(s). So I spot checked a bunch of other domains won by this account, and all that I checked had WHOIS in Oliver's name. Seems this account belongs to Oliver, unless I'm missing something.

So I checked Oliver's two other featured auction pages to see what kind of damage winner8888 is doing. This account bid in 286 auctions run by his second featured account, won one, and was the runner-up in 14. And it bid in 217 auctions for his third featured account, won two, and was the runner-up in three.

In total it seems that he has bid in at least 902 of his own auctions from two different aliases, and that's just the accounts we know about.

Anyway, it's harder to do this kind of deep dive for the Booth brothers since they don't have their own auction page, and they likely legitimately bid in many of Oliver's auctions since all three guys are into short domains. But let's check.

Bid on by "boothcom":

And for "bqdncom":

I blew through all my WHOIS history queries for the month (ouch!) but if anyone wants to look into these 13 auctions to see if any were owned by the Booth brothers at the time they were bidding on them shoot me a PM and I'll get you the list. EDIT: Someone is running this for me now, no need for further assistance. Thanks.

Time for me to be black-balled, lol :) These views are my own, and I'm not speaking on behalf of any company I work for and the respective company owners are not aware of this post. I have to run out for a few hours so might be slow to reply to any follow-up questions.

The majority of domainers will not allow you to be blackballed, after this anyone messing with you in an unfair manner will feel the wrath of thousands of small to mid sized and I think many big domainers. Thanks for the work you did.

•••
@Oliver Hoger
moviezone.jpg

You were the seller of moviezone.com on NameJet. Andy Booth claims that he sold this domain to you, and that you are the owner. However, Andy Booth was still listed as owner in WHOIS when you auctioned the name on NameJet.

Both you and Andy Booth bid on your auction listing for moviezone.com, a domain owned by either you or him. Why did you bid on your own auction listing?

Andy Booth won the auction and you were the second highest bidder.

It appears that Andy Booth won the auction for a name that he himself owns according to WHOIS, and you were the second highest bidder on a domain which you put up for auction.

Please explain this situation.

•••
That's your opinion and way of looking at things .. and I'm not saying you're entirely wrong. But there certainly is merit in the opposing opinion as well.

The math behind both are right .. beyond that the real judgement that needs to be made is the morality question .. and again there .. I'm sorry to say .. that there are very real arguments to be made for both sides.

The one huge point in the view opposite to yours, is that in your preferred scenario (current NJ rules), there is no real way of stopping this thing from happening. NJ could have the absolute best of intentions and have a team of 10 people working on fraud prevention .. but at the end of the day if someone wants to pick up the phone and call a friend to bid on their auction with a different account, there is absolutely you, me or Namejet can do about it. Even if you made everybody's real names public there would still be ways around it.

so if it's going to be done anyways, why not take it into account and at least make it as transparent as possible (and yes .. i'll agree even then there will be people who do sketchiness .. there is not perfect solution .. just the better of two bad choices I guess is the best way of saying it).
I assure you the distinction between sunk cost and opportunity cost is not a matter of opinion or something that can be debated. Saying the opportunity cost is $23,600 is accurate, but implying that it means you are on equal footing with other bidders because of that is total bullshit.

I don't know how to make it any clearer than this, let's continue with his XYZ.com example and my numbers from the previous post:

Hypothetical 1: You win your own auction at $23,800.

Initial purchase price: $15,000
Winning the auction: $23,800
Returned from NameJet: -$21,420
Total cost of owning XYZ.com: $17,380

Hypothetical 2: Other person wins the auction for $23,600

Total cost of owning XYZ.com: $23,600

How is that equal footing, and where do you see "opportunity cost" playing in to the total cost of being the owner of XYZ.com? It doesn't... and either party can still sell the name the next day for more.

And your logic is truly, truly frightening. A few bad apples will shill on NJ or any other auction platform, and it is very difficult to detect; that's a given and I agree with you. But to make the leap that because it is hard to stop it should be allowed for everyone is insane. They should improve their detection algorithms and stay vigilant, not throw up their hands and give up.

ADDED: Note this is just one argument for a change .. obviously for Drew it's more the absolute raw free-market version he prefers for the reason it's the free-market version (not simply because people are going to do it anyways as I've mentioned here)
Free market does not mean a lack of laws, rules, or ethics. It just means that prices are set purely by supply and demand without restrictions like tariffs, anti-monopoly laws, etc. It does not mean "do whatever the hell you want to make a buck".

Last edited:
•••
As an official statement from NameJet – our policy is clear that sellers cannot bid on their own domains, period. The integrity of our platform is of utmost importance to us and we do not condone shill bidding of any kind. From an ethical standpoint, it is unfair to the other participants, and from a practical standpoint, a few extra dollars on a few sales is simply not worth the potential damage to our reputation and business. Again, our stance is clear and we take immediate action whenever we have any reason to believe that there is inappropriate activity occurring on the platform. Bottom line – we take these matters very seriously!

With that said, it is my understanding that Andy and James Booth are not the sellers or current owners of the domains at issue. Andy did own them recently, but per him (both to me privately and in this thread) the domains are no longer his to sell, and he was interested in reacquiring them at what he felt were good prices. However, the WHOIS still reflects Andy as the registrant and that has made this whole thing confusing and problematic.

And while I have no reason to dispute Andy’s claims, we will cancel the remaining auctions involving these domains. To put things in perspective, there are not many domains involved, so it is not some large coordinated campaign to improperly inflate auction values. And it looks like they won nearly all of those domains auctioned, which further speaks to their legitimate interest in them – and for anyone negatively impacted we will look to address that.

Moreover, we will take steps to further outline and clarify our rules around this over the next few weeks to help eliminate any ongoing confusion. In the meantime, we will continue to investigate and monitor this issue (as well as any others brought to our attention) to determine if any further action is necessary.

Thanks everyone and have a good evening.

-Jonathan
GM, NameJet

I have spend hundreds of thousands of dollars @ NJ. This response does not sit right with me. It calls into question the integrity of the auction process itself.

I am sorry but the facts are that the whois shows Andy Booth. Why are both Booth brothers bidding on domains that are still in their WHOIS info?

Were you provided any records to show the domains were actually sold? Why was the WHOIS never updated?

I think you need to come up with a better answer than that.

Brad

•••

oliver-hoger.jpg

Bid on by "boothcom":

And for "bqdncom":

`Holy moly! I need to step my investigative game up. This research is spectacular! The industry would be in trouble if you created an anonymous NP account, and started grilling the industry without fear of it effecting your business relationships. Regardless, THANK YOU for all you do in the industry.

•••
Oliver Hoger (seek) is the seller of moviezone.com at namejet, and presumably he bought it from Andy Booth prior to listing it (that is what is being claimed by Andy Booth). However, Andy Booth (boothcom) was still the owner of MovieZone.com while the domain was in auction according to WHOIS.

Both seek (oliver) and boothcom (andy) bid on MovieZone.com, and they had the two highest bids in the auction. The "notadomainer" bid handle almost fell victim to their shill bidding:

Show attachment 64570

I don't see any way to spin this.

At the time of the auction the WHOIS showed Andy Booth as the owner. If Oliver Hoger was the actual owner, then why was that the case? How did he list a domain without NameJet verifying ownership?

Also, the 1st and 2nd bids are from Andy Booth and Oliver Hoger. Any combination of who actually owns it and the bidders equals shill bidding.

Please explain to me any possible way there is not some bullshit involved here.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back