IT.COM

BestBuy.bz, trademark issues if developed?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have registered bestbuy.bz recently, I know there could be potential TM issues, but I just couldn't resist..:)

Now, my plan is to develop it into domain registering price guide, where you can compare prices for all major registrars, see ongoing promotions..etc..

Also, I would not to brand it under BestBuy.bz, but rather something else (maybe similar), I just want to use this simple and easy to remember domain.

For instance, bestbuy.de is developet into hotel reservation site, so I should not have any prolems with this, right?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Since you are asking about Best Buy, you must be from the US. Wonder if Best Buy has stores outside of the US?

1) you have no intent to infringe on a trademark.

2) you have non-related interest using the domain name, something Best Buy stores do not provide.

Create a logo using different colors and create a different slogan. Don't be afraid branding words 'Best Buy' unless you looked at what else is in existance. Those 2 words would be very hard for any entity laying claim for exclusive use. They are just too common, have been familiar in every day speech for a very long time, and can refer to just about anything.

Using the singular word 'BestBuy' has narrow issues and will probably be confined to use of a domain name. Since you have identified more than 1 company using 'BestBuy' as a domain name, this leaves room for more.

So, take bestbuy.bz, keep together or seperate the words in your logo and slogan, and follow your marketing plan. Remember, intended or not, spaces do no exist in domain names. Just one little tweak would remove any complaint against you.

First, do a trademark search at uspto.gov for "BestBuy" and "Best Buy". We did, but prefer you to do so and determine what you want to do.

•••
Using the words "Best Buy" in an unrelated, non-competitve way "should" be ok IMO.. as already stated, it'd be hard to TM such a generic and much used phrase exclusively. A price comparison site might work... up to you to do your homework tho..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back