NameSilo

Best way to reply to 5 figure first offer?

Labeled as discuss in Domain Selling and Domain Sales, started by alcy, Jun 30, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

@alcy

it sounds fishy
    but still I would accept

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

agreed Frank
    4000$ is an amazing sale for .ca
    for 2-3 yr old handreg

as it stands i have no way to know for sure if he's playing a trick.
    and if not 100% sure, maybe trying to suggest it or ask into it, would result in no sale.
    especially if he played no trick.

i prefer to remain cautious when the roi is still so good.

3. DomainVP

DomainVP Domain Expert VIP

Lol, I thought the same thing.

The posts that followed was like a contest for who could be more misunderstood

4. DomainVP

DomainVP Domain Expert VIP

^ This. Great advice RJ.

For me I never accept the first offer. Ever. It leaves too many psychological cues for the buyer to back out.

Even with outbound I usually get some counter offer and I never accept it even if it's more than I expected to get.

I want them to either raise their offer, or be firm so that we can discuss some other things that will ensure that the sale converts.

Where I have made missteps is when I've said no to high offers after 2-3 communications and then the sale falls apart.

Either way you've got to be good with what you do.

Hope the sale goes well @alcy !

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  5. FolioTeam

FolioTeam AMDB.tv VIP

I think he read the "I resent Dan checkout..." as

I hate the checkout at Dan

instead of

I sent back a Dan checkout for a payment of 4k

6. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

lol
    weird
    resent is a word.
    plus if u dont just cut out 'i resent dan checkout' but keep the "for 4k" part..

then it can only mean one thing.. and it sure ain't "I hate dan checkout for 4k"

communications can be funny sometime

but i still think samer wins it over me in the hard to follow department haaha jk

7. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

great advice as always! ty.

lets be honest... we also cannot exclude possibility buyer/broker simply thought things over since making offer and realize what ive been saying all along.. and most here.. that 12.5k for recent reg .ca is just not what avg sales are in .ca... and if thats what they realized.... for a totally non binding bodis inquiry offer... with no ban to follow from market or such... then who am i to push them.. i could try... maybe i should.. but 4k is too good a price for me still to risk it... and there is always a risk if u push... and make fuss or inquisition out of their every word....

8. RJ

RJ Domain Buyer PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

What's the status of the .com? Is it actually for sale? If it's not, maybe they really do need this .CA more than they are letting on.

9. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

good point

com for sale
    makeoffer
    no bin

its actually the type of name where 12.5k for .com offer would not be unreasonable.. for buyer to make..... or seller to accept.. just maybe a tiny bit on low end.... hence 12.5k being first offer.. then maybe they would have been willing to negotiate..

perhaps an error aftr all.. guess we'll never know.

they did say at first toronto based biz though. still not conclusive error wise.

or as i said... they simply chnaged their mind... and this isnt gd offer where i can click accept and they basically must pay. unless they do not care for their gd accnt

10. DomainBarracksRob

DomainBarracksRob Top Contributor VIP

not sure if it's been asked yet

Did you receive an IP address with the offer? Have you checked that out?

I know this does not always give 100% accuracy but may help you to identify/sort out some of this geo gibberish about Toronto/US

11. Abdullah Abdullah

Abdullah Abdullah Top Contributor VIP

Yes but I am sure you could have gotten 8 to 9 K at least. I asked, what is the status of the .COM? Can it sell for more than what they offered if it is for sale?

Another thing that I believe kills their claim that they were bidding on the .COM ( not just the .CA or .COM being no where close ) is the fact that they said they want to get the .CA. If you are bidding on the .COM then you pursue that and forget about the other extension.

While you might be happy with the offer, I am not sure you can easily forget when you see them develop that .CA with the .COM being no where to be seen.

12. RJ

There is risk in showing weakness during a negotiation too. They could continue to drive the price down.... my manager/client says no way... not even 4k.... we can offer 2...

You could show some strength by being less eager to close, giving a little push back... I wouldn't sell any of my assets for less than $6k... I'll have to think about it... what is your project again?... I had plans for the domain too... etc... etc.

13. The Durfer

The Durfer Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

always give them a double counter-offer unless you had a price up already. Then work your way to the middle. good luck. whoohoo. :)

14. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

sometimes the other guy
    simply is the better negotiator

sometimes you are

so if he has won
    why not?

next time you win

I try to not take that personally no more

( hard )

15. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

good thinking.
    however as I said before, i stil feel like total win at 4k

if he tries something again, at least we know for sure its tricking.
    now we just suspect some stuff.

16. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

yes broker ip is toronto

17. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

i think hes basically out of excuses now.

in all honesty, i thought he'll offer less than 4k when he came back with this mistake thing. so i was getting ready for some negotiating.. from say 1k-2k....

18. DomainBarracksRob

DomainBarracksRob Top Contributor VIP

Kinda odd that a Broker would get .com and .ca mixed up.(mistakes happen)

..as others have said sounds fishy and very cat and mouse like Sneaky is the word. I wouldn’t send anymore checkout links or negotiate any lower. Just inform them you’ve settled On your firm price and..

Put a BIN of $15k on the lander and go ghost.

19. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

also when broker said he is sending my emails as CC to buyer... buyer wrote me direct a time or two... and it came through once from his email (Which was @.ca btw).. like regular letters.. and another time as numbers @ gmail... never saw this before.. anyone know what it is.. like [email protected]

just curious

ps here is the first email i got from broker when he said he made error.. it actually was to buyer.. and i was just cc on it;

I gave wrong price for .Ca domain. Please respond with the value you wanted. Sorry for that confusion. They are cc on this email

20. RJ

If they come back with any other funny business, I would act like I'm stepping away from the deal and wish them the best on finding a different domain. Mistake or not, lowering the offer that dramatically (12.5k to 4k) puts a cloud over the whole transaction. Hold out for the 4k. Best of luck.

21. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

good ideas... still we all gotta admit as domainers.. that cat and mouse negos games is what we basically do most time with buyers too... so sometimes we just get played at our game... however, i will emphasize once more than even if this sells at 4k.. and i was played.... it still feels like bin win sale to me.

that bin lander is good idea if he goes silent...ty
    id still send him one final email to let him know its there... just to ensure he knows. cheers.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  22. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

solid advice. ty.
    i actually do plan to do something similar to what he did (slight assumption here about what he did actually do, tricking wise)... and basically play my own games if he decides to go any lower still. ty.

23. xynames

xynames XYNames.com PRO VIP

If it's a legitimate offer, the domain will end up selling for what it's worth, which it sounds like alcy is saying the domain is not worth much at all. A certain amount of game playing on either side might vary the end result, but not as much as all that.

And if it's not a legitimate offer, nothing will happen in the end at all.

24. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

apparently his 12.5k was not legitimate.. by mistake or otherwise... i see no reason why the 4k would be illegitimate too... but so far no payment.. itd be just weird to make 12.5k offer.. call it error.. reduce it by 60%... get seller to accept that.. and then still not pay.... but i guess we've seen it all in domaining

25. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

p.s i happen to own this name in .co also.
    i already mentioned it to him.
    he didnt show interest
    but if/when he pays for the .ca
    i may offer it to him at some good price.

no pay yet.. i suppose it isn't imposible they are negotiating/waitng for reply on the .com offer.. if they made one.

in weird negos like these.. where things do not go smoothly, i guess all possiiblities are open....

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice