NameSilo

Best way to reply to 5 figure first offer?

Labeled as discuss in Domain Selling and Domain Sales, started by alcy, Jun 30, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. YairDD

YairDD Top Contributor VIP

Good luck! Please update us :)

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

i use dan to close all sales and leads.. and its been very smooth with them. plus they offer many payout options. sadly, escrow.com offers nearly none to canadians. very sad.

i could have tried epik but im less familiar...

of course if they write they do not want dan, im flexible.

the buyer truly does appear like brand new starting business as they say, but researching the "broker" email address.....it seems like some internet marketing service.. owning 100+ domains...3 million per year revenue....and couple dozens employees... but.. its unlikely they are the ones paying for this... then again in this world we live in today.. anything goes.. and this could just be guys who have buyer for my name at 50k-100k...and they're buying this off me for 12.5k.

3. Abdullah Abdullah

Abdullah Abdullah Top Contributor VIP

Good luck with this but are you comfortable sharing the name? Even through DM ? Either way, good luck and close it the best you can get.

4. coolhands

coolhands Established Member

@alcy
    From My experience, if the possible buyer is a company that's generate only $3M in revenue, They will not buy a domain for a range of 50k-100k. only if the name is a dot com.
    just counter an offer of $20k and u will be ok.

good luck

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  5. AbdulBasit.com

AbdulBasit.com DomainsWeb.com AbdulBasit.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

+1

6. tldboss

tldboss Top Contributor VIP

I would accept 12.5K for a .ca hand reg.

7. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Top Member NameTalent VIP Gold Account Trusted Blogger

@alcy really hope this works out and the sale completes. I think you did the right thing to accept. I like the wording @Recons.Com suggested above for situations like this.

I don't agree with the sentiment some have expressed that a hand reg .ca is unlikely to fetch this price. For example ThistleDown in .ca was a hand-reg in Oct 2017 it appears, and it sold for $15,500 two years later in late 2019. BitcoinCash was hand reg in 2014 and sold for $12,000 five years later. I agree it is rare, and the Canadian presence requirement make the market far smaller, but also fewer scouring all the names.

Anyway, fingers crossed for your sale, and please let us know after it completes,

Bob

9. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

wow this is quick turning into oddest sale/nego i ever had... and I had a bunch...

when this "broker" got dan checkout email apparently he realized he made typo in price thinking hes offering on the .com from what I understand.... so he told me this.. then asked buyer (I got cc email with buyer addy which is already weird ffor broker to do).. what he can pay for .ca... then the apparent buyer wrote me direct saying 4k or we forget it.

obviously any sane domainer wil be beyond happy selling a 3yr old .ca handreg for 4k... so im not gonna be making much fuss about any of this at risk of loising buyer... even if in some regard im being scammed here.. negotiation wise etc.. i am still going to be delighted to get 4k for this...... so i guess my first 5 figure sale will wait some more... as i mentioned before, its unlikely to come from handreg.. though as BOB said... these do hapen... its just rare as diamonds... for say upto 3yr old handregs.. obviously its different for 10yr old handregs etc ;)

i posted this as learning experience for all. so i hope its what it was.

i resent dan checkout for 4k... so i'll update if this sells.

one thing i found bit odd is broker originally saying they;ll be toronto based... and now the buyer writng:

As the biz Will be based in the us we only really care about the .com
    I'd buy the .ca for 4K today
    Otherwise let's forget it

but..maybe the hq is usa... then some branches... i guess there is always that chance he thought he was making 12,5k offr on .com

then of course there is the other.. which is him seeing i accepted 12.5k, without counter... he tried his luck to lower it in a nego tactic.

bit odd.... but at 4k i dont wanna care too much, i had offers of few 100s on this name in past,,, and would have easily sold for high 3figs.

10. YairDD

I think it's a bit risky accepting the 4k immediately after accepting a offer of 12.5k, I would've countered at 6-7k. He may think he can reduce the price even more and come with a 1k offer next.
    Hope I'm wrong and it actually sells.

11. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

Party is bizarre, go with your gut, @alcy.

Why do you resent Dan checkout, @alcy?

If Buyer playing games; Why is it Dan’s fault?
    Samer

12. YairDD

Where do you see him saying that it's dan fault?

13. Samer

Why? Looks like blaming DAN for lead.

DAN is the best; set BIN to avoid fake offer

14. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

i resent dan checkut cause the other add lead was for 12.5k

15. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

no bins
    this was add lead
    so now i need to make new add lead for new price

16. Samer

@Dan @LaszloSchenk tho usually dont post outside DAN thread.

Good luck! Keep us posted

Samer

17. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

lol yer right
    which is why i mentioned he could be playing trick seeing i took his 12,5k

obviously there is limit to tricks he can play
    lowering it to 1k wont work for me
    i hope he knows it

:)

but.. thats all just assuming its a trick. i cant be sure.

18. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

ok for moment i thought u thought im blaming someone

but your just trying to help in weird way lol

tnx

no worries, it takes 1 minute to make new lead
    there is no need to ask dan to change it
    they waste 20 mins reading this thread and i can make new lead and price in 1 minute

so all good

19. Samer

@alcy you’re one of most reasonable here; if anything, emphasis on any ur complaints, you’re credible, trustworthy.

It’s Why i’m rying help and understand your frustration, pain with anything in DAN process.

Even if it’s not what you wanted; I much learn;
    Thank you for sharing; regardless wht happen!

20. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

your real hard to follow sometimes.
    but im sure yer intetions are good even if sometimes i have no clue what you are saying or what is the langugae u use :)

21. karmaco

karmaco Top Contributor VIP

As the biz Will be based in the us we only really care about the .com
    I'd buy the .ca for 4K today
    Otherwise let's forget it

This is typical game playing and fishy to me. Hope it still goes through for you.

I think Samer took resent as I resent you. Not I resent the email.

22. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

i have no idea what samer said... i just said i had to make new lead with new price. which i did have to do.

well... dont get me wrong id love to get 12.5k. or more.
    but i also cant really aford to lose 4k potential sale on this little handreg.
    so even if he thinks hes winning and tricking me into something (if he is) then on my end, im still thinking im winning with this sale.. so... u know... its all good. lets hope he pays

23. RJ

RJ Domain Buyer PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Some sellers never accept an initial offer because it makes the buyer think they could have had it for less. This has served me well in the past, but I have had my share of missed sales too.

This buyer could have started at 4k and you would have been thrilled no doubt. The starting offer did seem abnormally high for any domain so maybe there was a mixup with extensions. This is such a weird negotiation, I sure hope it ends well. Good luck alcy!

24. Abdullah Abdullah

Abdullah Abdullah Top Contributor VIP

Agreed. @alcy mishandled the situation. He should ask what is the situation with the.com version? Can it sell for more than the initial offer they made? No one makes a mistake between .CA and COM. I would give them the benefit of the doubt if the name was .CO. So yes, they are trying a tactic with you and it appears you accepted

25. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

thats like saying that if i persued inquisition into this and his play on words or tactic.. it would have resulted in me getting my 12.5k... i hardly think its true.. if anything he may have realized im onto him.. caling him cheat or something...

im super comfy at 4k. obviously, i have my limits with the price.. its just that they have not been reached with his 4k price.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice