NameSilo

Band name domain/website

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Two questions:

1) Is it legal to use a domain name with includes the name of a band for a website about the band?

2) Do sites about bands, with forums etc, typically generate any income? Or does this now make the site less than legal?

Thanks
Dan

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
dan_Vt said:
Two questions:

1) Is it legal to use a domain name with includes the name of a band for a website about the band?

There's nothing legal or illegal using a domain name which includes a band's
name or any name for that matter. But there are limits.

This link might help.

dan_Vt said:
2) Do sites about bands, with forums etc, typically generate any income? Or does this now make the site less than legal?

If they want to make money out of the band's name, they'd better seek
permission or else.

•••
Agreed with Dave - It REALLY depends on the "Band" - and their outlook on this .... Most do not seem to mind Fan Sites etc ... - But making money on the site can and usually does change things.

"If it were me" At the Very least - I'd Place Disclaimers on the Site(s) - and the only Advertising would be hand picked (No Random PPC at all !) - This is the Only real way to ensure that any Products listed on the site are properly licensed.

•••
Good points by Dave and Mark.

In general it shouldn’t be a problem as long as you don’t try to leverage the name for income of any kind.

A fan site certainly helps the band, and thus most bands welcome them.

•••
I agree
I can give you an example here
www.nokiaforum.com didnt have any problem untill the forum used to gain commercial benefits from the nokia TM

•••
Thanks.

I might set up a site with forums and get a Gegy account and sell their items. Possibly worth a try.

•••
1) should be legal

2) maybe through ads lol ??

•••
Excel9 said:
1) should be legal

2) maybe through ads lol ??
Regarding point #2
Ads are ok but if you start exploiting the brand commercially you might land yourself up in problems

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back