Dynadot

discuss Baffled by people against hand reg

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Laguna

Top Member
Impact
As many of you know, I hand reg all my domains. Most posts I have read are all against it. I am baffled by this as ALL domains were originally hand reg . Your comments and opinions are welcome but NO personal comments about my way of doing things please.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
globalinternetspace.com is available for regfee and it rolls off the tongue better.
internetglobalspace.com is free too.
And then you can surely find other names with keyword substitution.

hosterstats.com does not have any history, probably this name has never been registered in the past, which usually is a bad sign.

It's easy to make up good domain names by combining two keywords together. This is the sweet spot.
With 3 words it is quite more difficult. Not only does it make the name longer and less desirable/memorable, the number of possible alternatives also increases exponentially.

One rule of thumb is that people are not going to buy your domains, if they can find alternatives of similar or better quality available for regfee. Nobody likes to pay a premium for a domain name, so they really need a compelling reason for buying from a domainer. This kind of handreg is not stuff that is in demand.
I hear and appreciate what your saying Kate. As regards to hosterstats not having any history, this is not for now, it's for the future because it's coming

•••
What is coming ? What was your thought process when you bought this domain ?

•••
What is coming ? What was your thought process when you bought this domain ?

Don't bother replying to him. I realize now that he's been trolling everyone. Very smart troll though.

•••
Don't bother replying to him. I realize now that he's been trolling everyone. Very smart troll though.
How am I trolling ?
You all tell me to research and do homework before hand regging. I've done my research on that name. Now I suggest you do yours before coming back with ridiculous comments

•••
After reading through this whole thread I had to add the quote to my signature :xf.smile:

•••
"A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion"

I have been reading/listening to a lot of inspirational quotes this week........

•••
And how does any of that make your domain name desirable or even relevant ?
This is not what we call research, there is no correlation between what you're reading in the newspapers and your domain name.

In case you did not notice - Elon buys stuff like tesla.com or X.com for millions, he doesn't buy 3-word domains.
IMO this name is too long and awkward, and not suitable for building a strong brand.

Another bit of advice: pick your industries/niches carefully. There are not many companies launching satellites or building rocket launchers. It is a tiny, specialized industry with a very small pool of end users.
Personally, I also recommend that people first stick to niches they are familiar with, and buy names for which they could be the end user.

I guarantee you that if I were an end user in that realm, I would find a better handreg easily, or if I really want a great name and I have a budget of $,$$$ to spend then I would purchase a shorter and more brandable domain at some venue. There is plenty of choice.

Everybody can handreg, but not everybody can do good reggae :)

•••
And how does any of that make your domain name desirable or even relevant ?
This is not what we call research, there is no correlation between what you're reading in the newspapers and your domain name.

In case you did not notice - Elon buys stuff like tesla.com or X.com for millions, he doesn't buy 3-word domains.
IMO this name is too long and awkward, and not suitable for building a strong brand.

Another bit of advice: pick your industries/niches carefully. There are not many companies launching satellites or building rocket launchers. It is a tiny, specialized industry with a very small pool of end users.
Personally, I also recommend that people first stick to niches they are familiar with, and buy names for which they could be the end user.

I guarantee you that if I were an end user in that realm, I would find a better handreg easily, or if I really want a great name and I have a budget of $,$$$ to spend then I would purchase a shorter and more brandable domain at some venue. There is plenty of choice.

Everybody can handreg, but not everybody can do good reggae :)
Ok point taken. Thanks

•••
@Jv1999 as you seem to like research maybe see what you can find on space internet.
GlobalSpaceInternet

In dot com
http://www.ricksblog.com/2019/01/defining-a-truly-great-domain-name/#.XDDUQqR6qEc

Notice the 3 word sales, or lack of.
Yes people are judgemental on hand registrations. I do it every day.
Some names been on my list for months, and most were reggae in the past.
There is plenty of 2 word .com unregistered if you know how to find them.
It is not easy selling names especially when your 10 years to late, unless you got a wad of cash.
Have you watched all the old www.domainsherpa.com videos?
Lots of info there. I havent watched since Cyger left.

•••
I read the whole thing, I see someone spending lots of time starting threads, and getting involved when topic is on their side, or offended when its against, enjoying the debate of comments in between while doing everything to justify being about 5-10 years so ahead of the curve that they wont be able to survive the rereg fees come that time, the few that are worth anything will be a nice drop catch for the veteran who survived the slow game to profit.

that being said, I hand reg almost everything. I speak from experience as im not far off from failure as you, but time will tell, im learning the hard lessons as fast as I can, I hope you wake up also , good luck to us.

•••
MidasCoffeeChain In dot com

For someone who wants to ( or already has) open a chain of coffee bars.
Am I on the right lines now ?

•••
dude. ok. lol. In 365 days, I'll be seeing your autono domains in tower. And i'll pass on them.

ur attitude was exactly mine, and everyone's when they started domaining. They ask for advice, then when people who have been on NP for like 2124234 years say "dats bad" I used to just ignore them and think I was right...

It's your money, so... go ahead and get all the autono domains you want, I guess.

you can always prove me wrong by showing me evidence that the abbreviation is starting to be adopted, and I'll always be open to such evidence btw. But from my cursory research, it seems like it's non-existent.

I’m not a dude . I’m a woman. My intentions are not to prove you wrong. I never asked you for advice either. Enjoy your weekend. 👌

•••

Not at all. What makes you think there is one human being on this Earth who will want to buy it from you, when they could just make up another brand name.
Why not register something that you could use for some useful purpose ? You are accumulating names that will never be put to use.
And since you already registered the domain, see if the registrar offers grace delete.

The key is not to own a big portfolio but a small number of quality names that will attract end users. Rather than allocate your disposable income toward bad regs that nobody wants, buy just a few aged, quality names instead.
Quality > quantity.

Just to clarify I am not against handregs, but against bad handregs. It's hard to find good handregs, that are good enough to resell. I think you need to analyze the market more until you get a feel of what kinds of names are in demand.

•••
Not at all. What makes you think there is one human being on this Earth who will want to buy it from you, when they could just make up another brand name.
Why not register something that you could use for some useful purpose ? You are accumulating names that will never be put to use.
And since you already registered the domain, see if the registrar offers grace delete.

The key is not to own a big portfolio but a small number of quality names that will attract end users. Rather than allocate your disposable income toward bad regs that nobody wants, buy just a few aged, quality names instead.
Quality > quantity.

Just to clarify I am not against handregs, but against bad handregs. It's hard to find good handregs, that are good enough to resell. I think you need to analyze the market more until you get a feel of what kinds of names are in demand.
I look at what sells on namebio every day and that just confuses me more as most have no meaning what's so ever lol . I just used the GD appraisal tool on 6 of my .coms and all came back in xxxx which for hand reg I'd be more than happy with

•••
The automated appraisals won't sell domains and are just for entertainment. You should discard them completely. Pretty much any domain will be appraised above regfee anyway, it's like you have nothing to lose but then why are these names free to register if they are valuable ? Obviously it can't be that easy or everybody would be doing it.
Remember that the registrar has an incentive that you buy domains from them.

While many sales are puzzling and one of a kind, many domain names sold are obviously quality domains and that is why they sold. Some patterns are hard to miss. For instance, good, short names in .com or mature TLDs is stuff that is in demand whereas arbitrary strings on exotic TLDs are things that don't get much interest from end users.

Again, if a domain name is available in 2018, has been sitting unregistered for ages or worse never been registered before you should really think hard before pulling the trigger, especially if the plan is not to develop it but resell it.
This game is more difficult thank you think and the majority of domainers are losing money. Thus the dropout rate is very high. Domaining is a boulevard of shattered dreams.
So don't make it more difficult than it already is. The likelihood of a sale is much stronger when you have good domains. Bad names are liabilities and detrimental to your financial health.

•••
The thing about hand regging future tech is the psychological effect of owning a part of the future. Whether it takes off or not, most likely there hasn't been a lot lost. It's generally done in good fun, with some possibility at the end. It's under ten bucks at most registrars. You can hand reg 100 names for well under a $1000 bucks. Not too many people are going to be drastically effected by some hand regging. If it's going to change your lifestyle, stay away. Otherwise enjoy it.

On the other hand, there are many stories of veterans paying $10,000, $100,000 and upwards on a domain only to be holding on to it for years with no significant inquiries.

Pick and choose your battles, and most importantly enjoy the journey.

•••
The automated appraisals won't sell domains and are just for entertainment. You should discard them completely. Pretty much any domain will be appraised above regfee anyway, it's like you have nothing to lose but then why are these names free to register if they are valuable ? Obviously it can't be that easy or everybody would be doing it.
Remember that the registrar has an incentive that you buy domains from them.

While many sales are puzzling and one of a kind, many domain names sold are obviously quality domains and that is why they sold. Some patterns are hard to miss. For instance, good, short names in .com or mature TLDs is stuff that is in demand whereas arbitrary strings on exotic TLDs are things that don't get much interest from end users.

Again, if a domain name is available in 2018, has been sitting unregistered for ages or worse never been registered before you should really think hard before pulling the trigger, especially if the plan is not to develop it but resell it.
This game is more difficult thank you think and the majority of domainers are losing money. Thus the dropout rate is very high. Domaining is a boulevard of shattered dreams.
So don't make it more difficult than it already is. The likelihood of a sale is much stronger when you have good domains. Bad names are liabilities and detrimental to your financial health.
Thanks Kate, great post. I will learn a lot from that 1 post alone. Thanks again

•••
The thing about hand regging future tech is the psychological effect of owning a part of the future. Whether it takes off or not, most likely there hasn't been a lot lost. It's generally done in good fun, with some possibility at the end. It's under ten bucks at most registrars. You can hand reg 100 names for well under a $1000 bucks. Not too many people are going to be drastically effected by some hand regging. If it's going to change your lifestyle, stay away. Otherwise enjoy it.

On the other hand, there are many stories of veterans paying $10,000, $100,000 and upwards on a domain only to be holding on to it for years with no significant inquiries.

The problem with that is the ongoing cost. If you buy 100 handregs that is $1000 + $1000 a year in renewals.
If you buy (10) decent $100 domains the ongoing cost is far lower.

Over 2 years the cost is $1100 vs $2000.
Over 3 years the cost is $1200 vs $3000.

A hand reg portfolio can quickly turn into a liability.

Also, I would argue that 10 well selected low $XXX domains have far higher odds to make sales.
Then again you need the experience to know what is good and for what price.

Brad

•••

Love this post. These experienced domainers don't talk about the huge amount of money they spend on quality domains that have been sitting around for years tying up their money.

•••
The problem with that is the ongoing cost. If you buy 100 handregs that is $1000 + $1000 a year in renewals.
If you buy (10) decent $100 domains the ongoing cost is far lower.

Over 2 years the cost is $1100 vs $2000.
Over 3 years the cost is $1200 vs $3000.

A hand reg portfolio can quickly turn into a liability.

Also, I would argue that 10 well selected low $XXX domains have far higher odds to make sales.
Then again you need the experience to know what is good and for what price.

Brad
Totally hear you Brad, but if you look at yesterday's sales on namebio, how many could you honestly say we're probable sale material ?

•••
Totally hear you Brad, but if you look at yesterday's sales on namebio, how many could you honestly say we're probable sale material ?

Probably not too many, but if you buy crappy domains because a handful of 130M .COM regs sell a day that is still not a good business model. You need to factor in the likelihood of a sale, and you need to account for all the domains that don't sell in a given year as well.

Brad

•••
Probably not too many, but if you buy crappy domains because a handful of 130M .COM regs sell a day that is still not a good business model. You need to factor in the likelihood of a sale, and you need to account for all the domains that don't sell in a given year as well.

Brad
Could you send 3 examples of things that will sell in the near future please

•••
Could you send 3 examples of things that will sell in the near future please

Be careful it’s not safe to predict future domains 🧐😂

I still do it and will continue. That’s how trends and brands are created. It’s no ones business how I spend my money.

•••

No. Like most, when I first started it was hand regs. Life changed when I moved up and bought better domains. Then I would do a few hand regs a year, if something popped up. Cyber Money 2017, when .coms for going for $5, I dipped back in to kind of challenge myself to see I could make money with hand regs, a personal challenge. And I can. Some examples.

Examples of something popping up, Trump talking about Space Force. I hand regged TheSpaceForce.com. Can I sell it for more than $8.47, of course.

I put some hand regs in my NJ auction this month, 4 of them have bids. Now, if I had no reserve on all of them, lowest is $69 or 8x what I paid for them:

studenttraveldiscounts.com
historicalwalkingtours.com
bookinfluencer.com
hockeynewsletter.com

Now you can Google any of that and should be able to figure out why I bought them. Some are based off my own sales, or what you mentioned, checking out what else is selling via Namebio and bounce off those sales. I sold beernewsletter. com so I hand regged some other newsletter names. Influencer names are being popular, so I hand regged some of those, like the one above. I've sold some wedding .coms, so I hand regged some niche wedding names like aquarium, theater, cave etc. plus weddings.com. Why? Because they're all real businesses. Like I said earlier, it's harder with hand regs, most of mine will always be thru the aftermarket but if you put in some work, you can reg some names that have a chance.

With my hand regs, I'm in a no lose situation right now. My personal hand reg challenge.
Bought about 20 during that Cyber Monday sale, invested $100. The plan was any money over $100, force myself to buy more hand regs. Sold a few of those initial 20, made more than that $100. The money over that $100, went right back into hand regs. Sold more hand regs. So worst case scenario with my hand regs, I break even. Can't lose money.

Last edited:
•••
No. Like most, when I first started it was hand regs. Life changed when I moved up and bought better domains. Then I would do a few hand regs a year, if something popped up. Cyber Money 2017, when .coms for going for $5, I dipped back in to kind of challenge myself to see I could make money with hand regs, a personal challenge. And I can. Some examples.

Examples of something popping up, Trump talking about Space Force. I hand regged TheSpaceForce.com. Can I sell it for more than $8.47, of course.

I put some hand regs in my NJ auction, 4 of them have bids. Now if I had no reserve on all of them, lowest is $69 or 8x what I paid for them:

studenttraveldiscounts.com
historicalwalkingtours.com
bookinfluencer.com
hockeynewsletter.com

Now you can Google any of that and should be able to figure out why I bought them. Some are based off my own sales, or what you mentioned, checking out what else is selling via Namebio and bounce off those sales. I sold beernewsletter. com so I hand regged some other newsletter names. Influencer names are being popular, so I hand regged some of those, like the one above. I've sold some wedding .coms, so I hand regged some niche wedding names like aquarium, theater, cave etc. plus weddings.com. Why? Because they're all real businesses. Like I said earlier, it's harder with hand regs, most of mine will always be thru the aftermarket but if you put in some work, you can reg some names that have a chance.

With my hand regs, I'm in a no lose situation right now. My personal hand reg challenge.
Bought about 20 during that Cyber Monday sale, invested $100. The plan was any money over $100, force myself to buy more hand regs. Sold a few of those initial 20, made more than that $100. The money over that $100, went right back into hand regs. Sold more hand regs. So worst case scenario with my hand regs, I break even. Can't lose money.
I have only spent 500 in total so far so not concerned about any losses at the moment .I have a year on most before I have to renew but I won't be renewing any. If I can't make a profit on my outlay I will stop. But I'm 100% confident I can within a year

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back