Dynadot

discuss Baffled by people against hand reg

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Laguna

Top Member
Impact
As many of you know, I hand reg all my domains. Most posts I have read are all against it. I am baffled by this as ALL domains were originally hand reg . Your comments and opinions are welcome but NO personal comments about my way of doing things please.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Love this post. These experienced domainers don't talk about the huge amount of money they spend on quality domains that have been sitting around for years tying up their money.
That's what an investment is: money tied up in something.
But it's better to have $1000 tied up in one single quality domain, than in 100 handregs that nobody wants.

For example I have bought (and sold) LLL.com for 20K (or somewhere in that range). It's a lot of money tied up.
But these names are highly liquid and coveted by end users. If faced with a financial emergency (happens to everyone), you can resell them quite fast at wholesale price to another domainer. At a small profit normally, or you might take a small loss if the timing is unfortunate but you still have cash in hand.
Those names are assets, whereas the 100 handregs are liabilities that will just drain your wallet.

If I can't make a profit on my outlay I will stop. But I'm 100% confident I can within a year
This is not going to happen I think. You should accept that the first year will yield a negative return for you.
This is no different in the real world, many new businesses also record a loss in their first years of operation and only become profitable later on. However, they have something: a business plan. Domainers need a business plan too, treat like a real business. If you treat like a hobby, you are unlikely to make any meaningful profit. Hobbyists are collectors and they tend to buy more than they sell.

Remember that it takes patience. There is no rule that says you need to become profitable from Y1. But the sooner the better.
Ponder this story:
How a Fishmonger Lost $300K Learning the Domain Name Ropes – With Andrew Rosener

•••
I have only spent 500 in total so far so not concerned about any losses at the moment .I have a year on most before I have to renew but I won't be renewing any. If I can't make a profit on my outlay I will stop. But I'm 100% confident I can within a year

At the end of the day, inquiries/sales will let you know if you're on the right track or not. No guessing involved. You're either getting some action on them or not. Of course, I haven't checked your setup, some people aren't setup to sell. Recent example of bulloney, where he didn't do anything and landing page was some GoDaddy broker page where people have to pay money, just to send in an offer. That's a straight up sales killer.

Since I mentioned newsletter above, I just hand regged 2 more I had on my watchlist, webmaster and swimming plus newsletter. Do I get excited about these? Nah. But this is more of a fun thing, since there is no risk at this point at all. Let's me experiment, try things out. They all have to meet some minimums, which I feel separates them from some others I might have my eyes on. Nothing too deep. I only buy .coms. So with these hand regs, if I see they're registered in another extension, that's like 1 point in my head. Were these ever developed? If so, another point. It shows somebody in the past bought and developed the domain. An example with the one I just registered, webmasternewsletter:

WebProNews:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010518233358/http://www.webmasternewsletter.com

•••
Don't bother replying to him. I realize now that he's been trolling everyone. Very smart troll though.

It’s not so much that he’s trolling he’s just unwilling to change his ways. As I’ve posted before
OP not seeking advice. He’s seeking justification.

He’s naked not wearing clothes but keeps asking hoping that someone somewhere will tell him that he’s wearing a royal mantle of purple.

kE7lJUsm.png

He keeps hand regging the same sort of domains, and wants someone to tell him that he's done a great job. So far, this has not happened.

Last edited:
•••
It’s not so much that he’s trolling he’s just unwilling to change his ways. As I’ve posted before he’s not seeking advice just justification.

He’s naked not wearing clothes but keeps asking hoping that someone somewhere will tell him that he’s wearing a royal mantle of purple.

kE7lJUsm.png
Was it even necessary to send that again ?

•••
It’s not so much that he’s trolling he’s just unwilling to change his ways. As I’ve posted before

kE7lJUsm.png

He keeps hand regging the same sort of domains, and wants someone to tell him that he's done a great job. So far, this has not happened.

Why should he change his ways? I missed the memo where you were deemed domain god. One of his domains alone will get him xxxx min if it was marketed right which I’m sure he’s aware of. If there was a low xxx Bin right now on vibrogasm I’d pay right now.. he knows it’s worth more, so I don’t expect him to put a low bin on it. Stop with the domain bullying already. It’s such an immature way of self projecting your own insecurities. @Lagunaboy if your domains were really worthless you wouldn’t have gotten so much attention on your post.

Kudos to you

•••
Get some skill get some knowledge you wont be baffled

I value 99.9% of my handregs over $1 some are lotto tickets. But I have a clear plan how to make money with regs. If you baffled you lack the knowledge skill or gameplan

•••
Get some skill get some knowledge you wont be baffled

I value 99.9% of my handregs over $1 some are lotto tickets. But I have a clear plan how to make money with regs. If you baffled you lack the knowledge skill or gameplan
I'm new to domaining geez. If you stepped into MY job it will take years to get where you need to be. But I'm sure you were an expert when you bought your first domains, right ?

•••
Nope I'm just telling you what your lacking listen to my advice learn what sells start watching auctions pay attention to sales reports learn wholesale numbers and retail numbers and try and reg names that you can sell for profit get knowledgeable get money

•••
Nope I'm just telling you what your lacking listen to my advice learn what sells start watching auctions pay attention to sales reports learn wholesale numbers and retail numbers and try and reg names that you can sell for profit get knowledgeable get money
Already doing that but it takes time

•••
i only go shopping on expired domain lists. it gives me a way to purchase names I like that i would never have thought of and its nice to know someone else bought the name also. Got lucky a few times with owners coming back to buy the name which never happens with hand reg...not saying hand reg is bad its great for new industry like crypto or VR but that doesnt happen often enough to feed my shopping need.

•••
As many of you know, I hand reg all my domains. Most posts I have read are all against it. I am baffled by this as ALL domains were originally hand reg . Your comments and opinions are welcome but NO personal comments about my way of doing things please.
Hi there Gary (saw your name via your profile)...this is Richard aka ThatNameGuy™ formerly known as Bulloney. I got the same kind of feed back you're getting on this thread, and as far as I'm concerned it really is all bulloney. Like you, I queried the members here about hand regs and got the same old story. First of all, I have 50 years of experience starting, naming and operating businesses since college. My Linkedin bio can be found via the "information" link on my profile. Criticism and attacks by other members only added to my passion for the "hand reg game", and it is a game as far as I'm concerned.

I'll provide you and other NP members the very last domain I hand reg'd just an hour ago. I'm posting it on the "Reg of the Day" thread just for proof. It's MyLocalFresh(.)com, and anyone here can check it out on Whois to see that I own it. I can assure you that 99% of the old timers here would say the $8.50 I paid for it via Go Daddy was a waste of money and btw, it's not for sale. Gary, I envision an online business model behind this domain that has the REAL POTENTIAL to generate millions of $$$ in add and click revenues for merchants, and millions of $$$ in savings for consumers who buy "fresh" and shop "local"

Much to the chagrin of many of the members here I'm still in the game, and I'll be in Vegas in three weeks to share my story and my experience. As a matter of fact I'll be meeting personally with one of the Keynote speakers Monday to discuss and learn all my little pea brain can possibly absorb about this wild, crazy, and ever evolving industry.

Happy New Year Gary, and I hope I've made a new friend across the pond!

Last edited:
•••
I must be out of the ordinary because I made money way above my investment in 8 months time. I realize I was lucky for a beginner to pull in multiple 4 figure sales on hand regs. Perfect timing during the crypto craze late 2017 early 2018. I know this doesn’t happen for everyone. Beginners luck and timing.

Now that I’ve been and am going through renewals I understand how hard it is to keep all the balls juggling and know which balls to drop ✅. How you see your names now will drastically change a year or two from now. You will judge them much harder and with better knowledge. You will cringe at some not sure what you were thinking.😂

Everyone starts out very sure of themselves oh this is so easy but some people here have waited years for their first substantial sale. If that had happened to me I would not have the luxury to renew as many as I wanted to.

So you might not like people’s delivery here but rest assured you will see things differently as time goes on. We all do.

With that being said, it only takes a few good sales even one to cover your investment and renew the best. I never want to destroy anyone’s hope here. So you gotta measure your enthusiasm with a willingness to hear things from people who have gone through it allready.

•••
When giving an appraisal, there are rules most dont follow anymore.
One rule is the lowest evaluation you can give is reg fee, meaning what you paid for it, is the lowest you can say. Also explain why. garbage, trash, zero, is not permitted according to the rules.
I say 1&1 because their reg fee is .99usd
Their is a lot of good 2 word names left. Also a lot of good 2 word names that will never sell.
Your doing what i did 10 years ago, shit i am still doing what i did 10 years ago. Hand reg but if you think of it today, write it down, good chance will still be there tomorrow, the next day

•••
•••
No chance. My father told me never to play poker, there will always be someone smarter than you waiting to take your money. Love watching Gus hansen play though.
Blackjack for me, I play against the house, and i know what they have to do

•••
@MasterOfMyDomains
Kitty. In home poker games, akitty is a pool of money that has been built by collecting small, pre-determined amounts from specific pots or even every single pot. This pool is often used to cover the costs of buying cards and chips, as well as drinks or other refreshments.
Hence why I thought I'd try
Jackpotkitty. In com

•••
So you think it's only worth a dollar ? Haha you guys should be comedians

•••
kitty, poke, bankroll. i dont need an explanation of kitty.
It makes more sense using kitty in feline sense anyways in your name.:cat:
Really it is not bad at all, better than 95% o what is on here. You wont understand our mentality because you havent watched the last 10 years of domaining evolve. Go sell a name, you talked the talk, get your salesman suit on and go flog one of your names.

•••
Rule Reminder:
1.2. Be professional, tactful, and constructive at all times. Do not harass, threaten, attack, instigate, insult, or antagonize others.

Numerous posts from this thread have been removed due to adult content and antagonizing comments. Moving forward please be respectful to one another in order to avoid any reminders/warnings.

Thank you for your cooperation.

•••
I'm new to domaining geez. If you stepped into MY job it will take years to get where you need to be. But I'm sure you were an expert when you bought your first domains, right ?

Yeah. If we stepped into your job and didn't listen to advice, but kept asking for advice anyway... we'd get fired. and you know it ;).

•••
ignorance gets ignorant answers . its what helped me wake up and smarten up about regging.

I think the thread went just as expected. could of been wrapped up in much shorter form though, but op wants to be right no matter what.

since all great names are taken, keep to a few basic rules, shorter the better, only .com , keywords with sales HISTORY not just this weeks, and only pair keywords with other comparable keyword HISTORY.

dont buy what others are buying, but what others have sold.

but he has gone out on some xyz and 10 year future tech bender. dashes , numbers, and super opinionated from his life passions, NOT the entire earth of domain market . o and did you know earth is not that hot of keyword, Terra is actually the trend to use. you would know this if researching versus debating for ego.

at least he is only in 500 in , im 6k in , feeling pretty defeated but let me share some ups and downs.

my story , I am 5 months from brand new, I hand reg basically everything. i sold 2-3k worth on a few so far, I call it pretty good luck and noob assumptions, its also based on buying mostly .com , short , and researched keywords. I admitted I knew nothing, so I bought a ton of pronounceable and acronym 5L .com , I went on a " check " keyword bender with anything I could find. and I watched for the incoming tech ACTUAL sales on here, then found a related past keyword to that tech, and scoured namebio for what sold with that , yet to sell any techs though, or MJ niche, name bio is full reseller purchases that may or may not sell anytime soon.

NAMEBIIO is also full of BS , I truly feel top 10 in the industry buy back and forth to create trends, while many of us suckers buy on these sales. but this is from 10 plus years of daytrading the stock markets and learning what markets are about, so call it conspiracy or not, its just my opinion.

anyway for example of other techniques I do since I admit im super noob, XR mixed reality, I wanted in, but late to the table, so I searched VR sales, then I took the keywords from those sales and checked the % of sales on just those , than I checked the % of those sales that were tech related, than i searched endlessly to see what was still available. and of course created a few as I find it so much fun, but the fun wont last if I dont turn a profit. SEXR.ME might be my win , so there ya go , not .com , but has history,

I also have a PLAN B, and have researched the HECK out of GEO EMDs , if you dont know these well, than you are just a gambling hobbiest as a new guy i think. its the life line that you can put an edge on.

My portfolio consists of 650 or so, I will be VVEEERRRY happy to drop 80-90% of these, that is the down part, I feel I made a very strong effort coming in , 5 months fresh, and now I even see how much money was wasted on bad names. that should tell everyone something. that is about 4k in the garbage.

Anyhow, on a lighter note, I learned a ton through these mistakes, if I survive the first couple years I will likely become successful only due to these hard lessons. Now I am going to say this, but dont let it go to your head. if I listened to everyone 100% I would of probably not stuck around due to lack of interest in the industry, and the domains they said were worth 1 dollar are the ones that sold for xxx and xxxx , but I truly think once you get over this very common spree of fun and ego. ( I say these comment, but I did them also and still do ) then you should take at least 70-80% of all this input to heart and act on accordingly if you want long term success in domaining.

•••
id like to recap incase you read my post or anyone new , just so you dont just take what you like and misread the rest . the sales that came were either outbound emd or 5 Letter, prounancable , and or researched Acronyms , like MDLLL for medical device, or manufacturing Distribution etc.. yes many said worth nothing. but I did not share these in sales thread as its an illusion compared to the many bought to get these sales.

if you show me one 3 word sale on namebio, I can show you 300 other comparable domains in portfolios that havent sold. and many of the sales on here are held over 12 months, you and I will not know what to keep or hold and or cant afford the rereg.

either way, remember the 70-80 % copy copy what the succesful say, and the rest work your uniqueness as everyone has their own skills to any industry.

also in my opinion your using namebio wrong for research, its good to see daily sales, but waaay more important to search history and trends of very specific keywords and learn the way the domains use precise interaction between industry and keyword 2 word domains,

Last edited:
•••
Ledger/CPA - ledger accountant gets 1600 searches per month
Boston/Doggy/DayCare - edm will outbound , 1600 searches per month
DAD/token - digital asset delivery / small search stats.

all com, hand reg, today. plus 20 more.

•••
Though I am just new in the business, I can assure you " hand reg" cannot be overemphasized.

It calls creativity out of you and yes, very soon this buying to sell will fade away because the good names are going.

•••
Hey guys, let the naysayers believe what they want to guys about handregs. If they don't see the value in it then so be it. If they want to know then we can teach them but let's not try to make em drink so to speak. More for us!

Domaineer1
(y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back