IT.COM
Spaceship
Watch

Very interesting article at The Domains:

http://www.thedomains.com/2014/06/03/did-networksolutions-com-give-away-free-xyz-domain-names/

According to the article, when someone regs a domain at Net Sol, he/she automatically is "given" the matching .xyz. One has to opt out by going to a separate link.

Indeed, I checked a couple of The Domains samples (both crap domains in any gTLD) in both .com and .xyz, and, yes, they are owned by the same person.

But I noticed something else that's interesting: the registrant email for .xyz is under privacy, but the .com isn't.

Check for yourself:

00938625.XYZ (privacy email)
00938625.com (regular email)

03304cjp64ubzd1.xyz (privacy email)
03304cjp64ubzd1.com (regular)​

I bet that the registrant doesn't even know that the .xyz has been awarded to him/her and that renewal notices won't even go to the registrant.

It does look fishy, I'm afraid.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Godaddy has been giving .com domains away for .99 cents over the course of years. That doesn't devalue .com. Only domainers care about the net sol numbers. I'm primarily a developer and I love my .xyz names and I'm going to drop/sell some of the multi-word .coms I had originally purchased to develop. As long as the .xyz resolves to the intended ip it has value to me.
i'm coming out with .uvw and .rst next year. get in line for your free best keywords.

•••
i'm coming out with .uvw and .rst next year. get in line for your free best keywords.

Xyz is memorable, uvw and rst are not. Xyz is commonly used and understood in English. That is in contrast to com which was not part of our public lexicon when it was released and which most people still don't know is short for commercial.

•••
Falling for the hype ? .mobi and even .tel were supposed to be the next .com too.

That's just a personal observation, not so much hype; but I see where you are coming from.

It's more in the composure of the extension and its relation to people.

.XYZ is ingrained in our alphabet, it is very easy to remember, and has relevance with gen-x gen-y and gen-xy.

If they were patient, the decision makers of today could have adopted .XYZ as their own. However that boat has long sailed, decision makers now know the score of these gTLDs and Daniel Negari is to blame.

•••
Xyz is commonly used and understood in English.

No, it's not. Gen xyz? That's everybody from 1966 to the present. That's pretty meaningless as well. It's marketing that doesn't make much sense.

"most people still don't know is short for commercial."

People don't care, because it doesn't matter. It's engrained already with billions of dollars of advertising/usage.

.XYZ HAD a real chance in becoming the next .COM in time...

No, that's not true either.

Last edited:
•••
Unfortunately .XYZ is becoming memorable for all the wrong reasons. Over 85% of .XYZ websites are parked on PPC in the Virgin Islands.

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••
Of course it is. Don't be daft.

Don't be delusional. I've never heard anybody say xyz in conversation except if they're reciting the alphabet. It's a dumb extension. Sorry you lost your money on it. You already have people trying to dump them for under $100 - http://www.cax.com/?ext=xyz

instruments, laketahoe, skateboards, publishing, good keywords on their own, all under $100. If you're a believer in them, you should buy them all up today.

The marketing is going to come back and bite them. For them to hit their 1 million goal in the first year, the freebie program will have to continue. If it does, will they make another video? Blow the horn again? Celebrate? That would be something, knowing a massive drop is coming. Yay, we made a million. Oh damnnnnnn, we're under 100,000 (or whatever) now after the drops.

About 87% of them are free and growing, is that good for .xyz investors, when they're giving them away for free?

How about the massive drops coming next year. You think all those ones at Netsol are going to get renewed? At the current rate, it'll get over 90% free, it'll be the biggest drop in domaining history. Blogs will have a field day with it. I'll be here next year bumping this thread when it happens.

Last edited:
•••
Xyz is memorable, uvw and rst are not. Xyz is commonly used and understood in English. That is in contrast to com which was not part of our public lexicon when it was released and which most people still don't know is short for commercial.
Let me guess , english is not your first language.

•••
anybody who thinks xyz is going to go anywhere can't count their syllables.

Cars Dot Com - three syllables, fast and easy to pronounce in ads and in person. Near universal recognition.

Cars Dot X Y Z - Five Syllables - awkward and without flow. Plus since .xyz is and will likely remain an unknown, you'll have to take time in your advertising to explain that that cars.xyz is your web site and not a typo.

Big numbers don't mean anything if the vast majority remained parked, since that means there won't be major XYZ sites developed to get the world familiar with .xyz=website address

•••
Don't be delusional. I've never heard anybody say xyz in conversation except if they're reciting the alphabet. It's a dumb extension. Sorry you lost your money on it. You already have people trying to dump them for under $100

JB. I think you are missing the big picture here.

I'm not sure where all of the spitefulness is coming from, because we are all in agreement. .XYZ is not a good extension for any investor to expect any return on.

So with that said... how about .Horse? Stag or nag? ;)

•••
Don't be delusional. I've never heard anybody say xyz in conversation except if they're reciting the alphabet. It's a dumb extension. Sorry you lost your money on it. You already have people trying to dump them for under $100 - http://www.cax.com/?ext=xyz

One guy is trying to sell 9 and he already sold 1 domain for $95. So when you subtract his registration costs, he is ahead of the game by $15 and still has 8 domains left to sell. That is a profit, not a loss.

•••
One guy is trying to sell 9 and he already sold 1 domain for $95. So when you subtract his registration costs, he is ahead of the game by $15 and still has 8 domains left to sell. That is a profit, not a loss.

$15 whoa, that's pizza. So are you going to buy the others? Are those great keywords worth more than $100 to you?

•••
Let me guess , english is not your first language.
English is not my only language but it is my first. Whenever I am in say, xyz country, I try to learn the local dialect.

•••
English is not my only language but it is my first. Whenever I am in say, xyz country, I try to learn the local dialect.
ah, well the name 'william v' threw me off. regardless, how you used xyz is the only way its ever used in conversation, naming some random place/person/thing that isn't worth naming.

•••
$15 whoa, that's pizza. So are you going to buy the others? Are those great keywords worth more than $100 to you?

I typically buy domains that I can develop for myself or that are in a niche where I can market a group of names at the same time. The only one that is really tempting for me is publishing.xyz. I prefer product / service names more than category names though. Brochures.xyz would be more tempting than publishing.xyz for me. But no, I probably won't add to my names.

I intended to buy about 40 if I could find that many decent names when the extension launched but I actually ended up getting about 70 because there were terms available that I couldn't pass up for 9$.

•••
ah, well the name 'william v' threw me off. regardless, how you used xyz is the only way its ever used in conversation, naming some random place/person/thing that isn't worth naming.

It's not that the random place/person/thing isn't worth naming, it's a way to more broadly communicate meaning when using the actual name of a place/person/thing would cause confusion or narrow the scope of meaning.

•••

Yeah, drop by the XYZ payroll department to collect your check. Next!

•••

That's one amazing sale. It's perfect, if you're a flipper part time domainer! Wow. Impressive.

Not.

•••
Yeah, drop by the XYZ payroll department to collect your check. Next!
Sorry, I wouldn't work for this kind of company. In my opinion, the best thing that could happen for .xyz is if it were sold to the guys running .club. That said, lots of companies succeed in spite of their management doing bizarre things and I think .xyz will eventually find a place in the eco system.

•••
That's one amazing sale. It's perfect, if you're a flipper part time domainer! Wow. Impressive.

Not.
The extension is three weeks old and has since birth been defecated upon repeatedly by almost all domain bloggers as worthless trash. The fact that one of these domains would sell for $95, presumably to a domainer, is pretty good considering. I just hope the buyer is using whois protection or else a crop of you guys might show up and burn a purple xyz mascot mannequin on his lawn.

•••
If .xyz is the next .com, .abc is going to make a killing.

•••
The big problem with the argument over worth of XYZ domains is that most of them have been given away free. Just because one XYZ domain sells for $95, it does not follow that all XYZ domains will sell for $95.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The extension is three weeks old and has since birth been defecated upon repeatedly by almost all domain bloggers as worthless trash. The fact that one of these domains would sell for $95, presumably to a domainer, is pretty good considering. I just hope the buyer is using whois protection or else a crop of you guys might show up and burn a purple xyz mascot mannequin on his lawn.

The only 'defecation' arrived after the scheme of giving away zombie domain registrations was revealed. I actually had a different opinion of the TLD prior to its launch. The numbers don't lie here, and NetSol continues to allocate freebies with an "opt out" clause. Only fools would support XYZ now.

•••
The only 'defecation' arrived after the scheme of giving away zombie domain registrations was revealed. I actually had a different opinion of the TLD prior to its launch. The numbers don't lie here, and NetSol continues to allocate freebies with an "opt out" clause. Only fools would support XYZ now.

You feel violated and now you are lashing out, I get it. I don't think the zombie registration promotion was a good idea for several reasons. The most important reason is because no one will dump a .com in exchange for a new gtld. So even if these freebies get renewed, there is now zero development potential for about 100,000 names. If they wanted to give away names, it would have been better to approach companies and offer them a great name for free that the company doesn't own in .com with a development agreement.

This is a management problem and will have some negative drag on the future of the extension. That said, I don't think the average end user cares or even knows about the freebie promotion. At the end of the day, I care about whether a business will think product.xyz is more desirable than a 4 figure mybestproductflorida.com. Even if 90% of companies want the .com, there is still a market for the .xyz.

IBM used to be king of the computer market. There was a saying that "No one ever got fired for buying an IBM". It was an uphill battle for some time. Today, we have HP and DELL and many others who are accepted brands in the marketplace.

In the 80's, GM had about 45% of the light auto market. That's about .com's current share of the tld market. Everyone knew that foreign cars were not as good as American brands. Still, consumers started buying more and more foreign brands because they were cheaper and offered more for their money. The same thing is going to happen with the gtld's.

A fool is by definition someone who acts unwisely. I personally think using history as a guide here is more wise than allowing the emotions of the moment to dictate investment decisions.

•••
You feel violated and now you are lashing out, I get it. I don't think the zombie registration promotion was a good idea for several reasons. The most important reason is because no one will dump a .com in exchange for a new gtld. So even if these freebies get renewed, there is now zero development potential for about 100,000 names. If they wanted to give away names, it would have been better to approach companies and offer them a great name for free that the company doesn't own in .com with a development agreement.

This is a management problem and will have some negative drag on the future of the extension. That said, I don't think the average end user cares or even knows about the freebie promotion. At the end of the day, I care about whether a business will think product.xyz is more desirable than a 4 figure mybestproductflorida.com. Even if 90% of companies want the .com, there is still a market for the .xyz.

IBM used to be king of the computer market. There was a saying that "No one ever got fired for buying an IBM". It was an uphill battle for some time. Today, we have HP and DELL and many others who are accepted brands in the marketplace.

In the 80's, GM had about 45% of the light auto market. That's about .com's current share of the tld market. Everyone knew that foreign cars were not as good as American brands. Still, consumers started buying more and more foreign brands because they were cheaper and offered more for their money. The same thing is going to happen with the gtld's.

A fool is by definition someone who acts unwisely. I personally think using history as a guide here is more wise than allowing the emotions of the moment to dictate investment decisions.
i think you are basing your thoughts on your own investments in the new gtlds. you want this to be your opportunity, finally you're chance to get in on something that you can convince yourself is going to be big.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back