Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Very interesting article at The Domains:

http://www.thedomains.com/2014/06/03/did-networksolutions-com-give-away-free-xyz-domain-names/

According to the article, when someone regs a domain at Net Sol, he/she automatically is "given" the matching .xyz. One has to opt out by going to a separate link.

Indeed, I checked a couple of The Domains samples (both crap domains in any gTLD) in both .com and .xyz, and, yes, they are owned by the same person.

But I noticed something else that's interesting: the registrant email for .xyz is under privacy, but the .com isn't.

Check for yourself:

00938625.XYZ (privacy email)
00938625.com (regular email)

03304cjp64ubzd1.xyz (privacy email)
03304cjp64ubzd1.com (regular)​

I bet that the registrant doesn't even know that the .xyz has been awarded to him/her and that renewal notices won't even go to the registrant.

It does look fishy, I'm afraid.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Even with 0 registrations I would place .xyz on top.
Its short familiar and not confusing.
I like the fact that you can brand your company and without the tld! I don't want people to name my company dataDotCenter... DataCenter sounds better!

The price is right and .xyz is now in my top 10.
.com .xyz .co .tv .me .ws .ca .net .cc .info

•••
Picked up another 9503 (total now 78,659) , 8644 which are at Netsol, which leaves 859 for Friday. Not good for 5th day out.

About 18th place removing the freebies. So not really doing good once the free ones are removed.

Also just broke 1 million regs (1,001,461) for all the new ones together - 1,001,461. I'm sure blog posts are coming on that.

Last edited:
•••
Even with 0 registrations I would place .xyz on top.
Its short familiar and not confusing.
I like the fact that you can brand your company and without the tld! I don't want people to name my company dataDotCenter... DataCenter sounds better!

The price is right and .xyz is now in my top 10.
.com .xyz .co .tv .me .ws .ca .net .cc .info

.com is in the right place, the others, well,it takes all sorts.

Grace deleted the only .xyz I had when I saw what a complete clusterfuk it is.

•••
Latest .XYZ stats -

78,659 total registrations.
64,693 forced freebies (82%+) @ Netsol that no one asked for.

When you remove the registry reserved domains, the total number of registrations is 12,816.

Brad

•••
From this morning's DNA run:
xyz/com 28732 | 37.313%
xyz /com/net 8229 | 10.687%

From yesterday's:
xyz/com 24790 | 36.724%
xyz/com/net 7210 | 10.681%

The Top 20 xyz hosters by nameservers:
Code:
| REGISTER.COM  |  64649 |
| WORLDNIC.COM  |  63462 |
| DOMAINCONTROL.COM  |  4421 |
| INTERNETTRAFFIC.COM  |  1118 |
| SEDOPARKING.COM  |  784 |
| UNIREGISTRY-DNS.COM  |  726 |
| UNIREGISTRY-DNS.NET  |  726 |
| NAME.COM  |  711 |
| ONAMAE.COM  |  509 |
| 101DOMAIN.COM  |  393 |
| REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM |  381 |
| UDAGDNS.NET  |  318 |
| UDAGDNS.DE  |  318 |
| ISPAPI.NET  |  282 |
| NAME-SERVICES.COM  |  225 |
| HOSTGATOR.COM  |  223 |
| 1AND1-DNS.COM  |  151 |
| 1AND1-DNS.ORG  |  151 |
| ONLYDOMAINS.COM  |  131 |
| 1AND1-DNS.DE  |  115 |

Those NetSol figures are really skewing the data.

Regards...jmcc

•••
just broke 1 million regs (1,001,461) for all the new ones together - 1,001,461. I'm sure blog posts are coming on that.
Only seeing 987,529 on the zonefiles from 256 tracked new gTLDs.

Regards...jmcc

•••
From this morning's DNA run:
xyz/com 28732 | 37.313%
xyz /com/net 8229 | 10.687%

From yesterday's:
xyz/com 24790 | 36.724%
xyz/com/net 7210 | 10.681%

The Top 20 xyz hosters by nameservers:
Code:
| REGISTER.COM  |  64649 |
| WORLDNIC.COM  |  63462 |
| DOMAINCONTROL.COM  |  4421 |
| INTERNETTRAFFIC.COM  |  1118 |
| SEDOPARKING.COM  |  784 |
| UNIREGISTRY-DNS.COM  |  726 |
| UNIREGISTRY-DNS.NET  |  726 |
| NAME.COM  |  711 |
| ONAMAE.COM  |  509 |
| 101DOMAIN.COM  |  393 |
| REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM |  381 |
| UDAGDNS.NET  |  318 |
| UDAGDNS.DE  |  318 |
| ISPAPI.NET  |  282 |
| NAME-SERVICES.COM  |  225 |
| HOSTGATOR.COM  |  223 |
| 1AND1-DNS.COM  |  151 |
| 1AND1-DNS.ORG  |  151 |
| ONLYDOMAINS.COM  |  131 |
| 1AND1-DNS.DE  |  115 |

Those NetSol figures are really skewing the data.

Regards...jmcc

Thanks, John.

I really appreciate Hoster Stats and use it quite often in my own domain research; I'm so glad to see that you, the owner, are here on Namepros.

A really fine site that rips open the fiction of .xyz.

•••
•••
•••
•••
You can't put in the same bag .edu with the other gTLDs.
What about .gov than?

•••
•••
•••
As Phantom .XYZ Registrations Continue to Pile Up at NetworkSolutions Stats Reporting Service Plans to Subtract Artificially Inflated Numbers

Nice article, better ones written about this yet -

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140610.htm

The 3 I have bookmarked

http://www.namestat.org/ - the one the article is talking about. Just went to site and the default data is set to Adjusted, so .xyz won't be in the top ten, you have to change it to raw (inflated)

registrarstats.com - don't even see them listed

http://ntldstats.com/tld/xyz - Netsol percentage keeps going up. It was 82 something, now 84.06%.

•••

I noticed that as well; after apologizing to his readers and giving Daniel Negari a total smack down, Linton then gives him a bunch of free publicity by advertising his road trip.

Pathetic.

Yep ………..seems to sum it all up (my bank account number is…)

•••
As Phantom .XYZ Registrations Continue to Pile Up at NetworkSolutions Stats Reporting Service Plans to Subtract Artificially Inflated Numbers

Nice article, better ones written about this yet -

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140610.htm

The 3 I have bookmarked

http://www.namestat.org/ - the one the article is talking about. Just went to site and the default data is set to Adjusted, so .xyz won't be in the top ten, you have to change it to raw (inflated)

registrarstats.com - don't even see them listed

http://ntldstats.com/tld/xyz - Netsol percentage keeps going up. It was 82 something, now 84.06%.

You know Daniel Negari and NetSol have jumped the shark when Ron Jackson, one of the nicest and most even-headed domainers around, gives them a total smack down.

This whole thing is tawdry and sad.

:(

•••
who needs television …….we have all the drama with .xyz

•••

On Domain Incite, Constantine Roussos (.Music) offers one of the most cogent comments to date, regarding the overall implications of number stuffing

John Berryhill, as usual is sorely missed at NP with his snarky yet excellent overviews. He used to be a staple here in the Legal section and I really think anyone with a passing interest in domain law should seek out his comments.

John Berryhill
June 9, 2014 at 9:50 pm
“I do not understand with the domain community’s infatuation about registration numbers.”

Me neither. The outrage seems to be premised on the notion that “total registration number” is proportional to “value of any one domain in TLD”, and that therefore domain speculators are being cheated by the numbers not reflecting voluntary domain registrations (as opposed to the numbers reflecting what the domain speculator herd has valued for other reasons).

In other words, the anger stems from an axiomatic belief that domain names are primarily speculative instruments which, itself, is a viewpoint that annoys to no end a great deal of other people. From the broader perspective which holds domain speculation to be atrocious behavior in the first instance, then I’m sure that someone is having a laugh at the spectacle of “parasitic” domain registrants being upset at the feeling they have been wrongly induced to register domain names in this TLD.

•••
“I do not understand with the domain community’s infatuation about registration numbers.”

He's a lawyer, not a marketer or somebody selling domains. It's pretty obvious the deal with the numbers, we went over that already. Reread page 2-3. And that's not just this industry.

Imagine a band promoting how they just went Platinum and thanking all the fans for getting their album, when they gave away 900,000 for free. That album isn't really selling as they would like you to believe.

Last edited:
•••
Some folk just like good old fashioned honesty ……

•••
He's a lawyer, not a marketer or somebody selling domains. It's pretty obvious the deal with the numbers, we went over that already. Reread page 2-3. And that's not just this industry.

Imagine a band promoting how they just went Platinum and thanking all the fans for getting their album, when they gave away 900,000 for free. That album isn't really selling as they would like you to believe.

Seems he has a better handle on the perceived value of registration numbers than most, actually. We're talking specifically about the "domain community" not any other industries. But yes, he's just a laywer. I guess the part where he's on the uniregistry team might give his opinion some weight?

Perhaps his contemptuous language for some of what ultimately will be uniregistry's largest customer base is upsetting?

The obsession with numbers goes far beyond .xyz and covers all gTLDs. At one point .co was a failure and would never reach 1,000,000 and then it reached 1,000,000 and then what... did it become a success?

I fail to see how total registrations as a metric provides any indicator to value within the TLD. I have to admit that even I would buy chicken.coop.

•••
Seems he has a better handle on the perceived value of registration numbers than most, actually. We're talking specifically about the "domain community" not any other industries. But yes, he's just a laywer. I guess the part where he's on the uniregistry team might give his opinion some weight?

Perhaps his contemptuous language for some of what ultimately will be uniregistry's largest customer base is upsetting?

The obsession with numbers goes far beyond .xyz and covers all gTLDs. I fail to see how total registrations as a metric provides any indicator to value within the TLD. I have to admit that even I would buy chicken.coop.

Doesn't give it any weight. The team where all those .link domains went elsewhere? The article I just linked too was on point. Again, we went over this already in the previous pages. Numbers not meaning anything is on some hippy tip. They obviously matter to many, including the one selling them, hence the videos pumping those numbers up.

•••
Doesn't give it any weight. The team where all those .link domains went elsewhere? The article I just linked too was on point. Again, we went over this already in the previous pages. Numbers not meaning anything is on some hippy tip. They obviously matter to many, including the one selling them, hence the videos pumping those numbers up.
So if, hypothetically speaking, tomorrow NBC, ABC, FOX and the BBC and other stations did a huge piece on the fact that gTLDs were available and over the next 10 days 20,000,000 registration happened.

What would you do?

•••
So if, hypothetically speaking, tomorrow NBC, ABC, FOX and the BBC and other stations did a huge piece on the fact that gTLDs were available and over the next 10 days 20,000,000 registration happened.

What would you do?

Nothing, you just posted about a situation that's not going to happen. Now come back to reality for a second. The reality is the numbers suck and the one we're talking about has inflated numbers. That's the truth.

•••
Nothing, you just posted about a situation that's not going to happen. Now come back to reality for a second. The reality is the numbers suck and the one we're talking about has inflated numbers. That's the truth.
So the numbers suck... nothing is changing... you don't want to contemplate anything not grounded in reality. This just begs the question... why do you check the numbers so regularly? To check that they are still bad? Seems silly.

But already spent too much time outside of sts and I'm missing LeDouche getting CRUSHED.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back