Domain Empire

question Are random 4L .com domains worth anything?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have an opportunity to buy a random 4L .COM domain.

It's just a mixture of number and letters which don't mean anything.

Is there such a huge demand for 4L domains even if they mean nothing, or is the demand ONLY for those that have a pronounceable / brandable word?

Appreciate the help.

JH

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What about random four letters? Does that hold intrinsic value at all above the reg fee?

Something like jhgf.com

JH

•••
Last edited:
•••
I have an opportunity to buy a random 4L .COM domain.

It's just a mixture of number and letters which don't mean anything.

Is there such a huge demand for 4L domains even if they mean nothing, or is the demand ONLY for those that have a pronounceable / brandable word?

Appreciate the help.

JH
Yes they can be still a good investment for the future. Just note, the prices of random 4L have fallen real low these days, so spend wisely.

•••
Unless they're pronounceable those are a real gamble. I wouldn't advise anybody to explore this option if you're looking to sell within a short timeframe.

So random 4L .com's have value and can sell well and in short time but random 4L .net's and .org's are difficult to sell and can be avoided. Only those 4L .net's and .org's have some value which are pronounceable and have some meaning or short form of something. That's what we can conclude?

•••
So random 4L .com's have value and can sell well and in short time but random 4L .net's and .org's are difficult to sell and can be avoided. Only those 4L .net's and .org's have some value which are pronounceable and have some meaning or short form of something. That's what we can conclude?

That pretty much sums it up yes. Everything else is just a gamble and they have no liquid value as of now.

Will this change in the future? Who knows.

•••
I have to say, most LLLL.com are valuable, for one culture/language, it is random, for another, it full of meaning...you aware or not aware is another question.

•••
OPNZ to me is a pronouncable, so I bought it. End users in mind.

A random 4L like PXJL would not appeal to me at all.

I'd rather watch an auction. It's all end users. Try to never think like "domainers are buying them, so if no end user, it's still something I can resell to the community and get my money back."

I hope this helps.

•••
According to my experience:
  • random LLLL.com domains have minimum value of $80 and can easily sell for up to $100. But If the name is premium it can sell at more than that (research about western premium and Chinese premium domains)
  • Semi-pronounceable 4Ls can sell above $150, and pronounceable ones can easily sell at more than that. And again if the letters are premium the domain can sell at higher price.
  • Also you have CVCV domains which worth at lease $1k-$2k regardless of the letters combinations.
  • Regarding 4C domains the value depends on the name, and can be anywhere from 0 to xxx. I would avoid them unless I find a very special domain (ex: repetitive chars pattern like B999 or BB99.. etc).

Please note that I am talking here about wholesale prices not end user prices.

In general 4L & 4C domains are tricky and you need to do a lot of research before you start buying them.
I agree with your suggestions on the 4L categories, thanks for sharing. By the way, in which category would you define Nium.com which recently sold here for $90,000 ?

•••
I notice that random 4L .com (not 4 characters) domains have some value. People are willing to pay around 100$ to 150$ for them here on namepros.
But do the random 4L .net and .org domains have some value? can they sell for at least 40$ to 50$? That's the question i have.

•••
I notice that random 4L .com (not 4 characters) domains have some value. People are willing to pay around 100$ to 150$ for them here on namepros.
But do the random 4L .net and .org domains have some value? can they sell for at least 40$ to 50$? That's the question i have.

Unless they're pronounceable those are a real gamble. I wouldn't advise anybody to explore this option if you're looking to sell within a short timeframe.

•••
I think @biggie might have been speaking about wholesale or liquid pricing. I have been writing about LLNN.com for many years now and some do sell for nice prices, especially repeating letter, repeating number with LL ending in 88 and 99 being the most popular. starting with HG,CP,QP being highly touted starting letters. These are mostly a Chinese phenomenon with few other buyers.

There are many that drop daily and many that get no action here, example, I was tired of a name I owned that got a bit of traffic, AA92.com I saw AA88 and AA99 going for big $$$ and they are far superior to my AA92.com. I started an auction here while those auctions were going on GoDaddy. provided comps, etc... starting the auction at $1 and got no bids, as I always do if no bids for 1 hour, close and delete the auction listing.

I placed it for sale on Sedo at $99 and got a sale a couple weeks later, nettted $80. Which imo would have been more than I would have gotten here.

I own a couple still and if I put them up for sale here I think I would get little to no action here, so I get what @biggie is saying, a 4L.com here is going to get some action, not end user pricing but it's always going to get bids and offers.

Wow, it didn't sell? I can't believe it.... I would take them in a flash ;)

•••
Can I say I 100% agree with @Ategy.com to never buy any domain you do not understand. I would add though that randomness is in the eye of the beholder sometimes. Many of the $600+ mixed mode sales I see to me seem like random collections of letters. But just because I do not see a pattern, does not mean there is not one. In particular, it appears some of the ones in end use and that sold for good amounts went to Chinese market, so keep in mind the caution Ategy gives.

I would repeat again what I said earlier and is the key point I think.
If you see realistic end-use possibilities that are not random, it may make sense at right price. If they are random to you, you probably should stick away from any domain.

I think there is also some caution here though to not be too regionally biased in our view. Clearly certain regions like numbers and mixed much more than the US, and other regions like hyphens. Don't invest for those markets if you don't genuinely understand them, but also accept that each of us bring our own biases to the discussion.

Bob

PS Can someone tell me why JS is so attractive in LLNN names? It has sold about 10 times with good average price of almost $4000 but to me JS seems random. It must have a meaning I do not see.
probably because JS refer to Javascript the most popular "programming language" today

•••
OPNZ to me is a pronouncable, so I bought it. End users in mind.

A random 4L like PXJL would not appeal to me at all.

I'd rather watch an auction. It's all end users. Try to never think like "domainers are buying them, so if no end user, it's still something I can resell to the community and get my money back."

I hope this helps.
I have good collection of pronouncing LLLL.com to resell in cheap price

•••
•••
I have my first 5 5l .com even is a real word in French. Personally I don't think much of combining letters and numbers in most situations but to each their own.

•••
yeah i think You can daily take some 4character domains, which just dropped they looking trash but yeah maybe in future worth something. (Or You will also leave it after few years)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back