Dynadot

discuss Are .Net's still worth buying ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

doofer

Top Member
Impact
As per the title, would you still buy a .net domain ? Would you consider them as second best choice to a .com or have they lost their significance now that there are so many other extensions ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I still sell .NET quite frequently. I sold a LLL.net last month for $12,500.

I don't think end users hate them as much as domainers do, especially for unobtainable terms in .COM.

Brad

•••
While domainers seem to hate them, there is quite a market for them. Especially if you find the right old school enduser who got online in the early days of the web.

My primary business domain is a .net actually as at the time that made sense. I do own the .com as well though.

Sure, they may sell for less but if you buy the right domains focusing on the right niches they can be gold. Lets not forget, not every startup has lots of money to spend or feels comfortable to be associated with the .com hype.

.com is king for domainers but i'd pick a .net over .org and any ngtld as its trusted and recognised by a broad audience.

•••
If it had a broad audience there'd be tons of sales. I'd say it's more of a above average niche audience.

•••
Ten years ago I bought medicaltranscription.net for 1400$ and sold it for 12,000$ and I was sad at that time not to ask for more as buyer wanted it badly.

I do not think Anyone would pay the same prices for dot net like 10 years before

•••
Worthless ntlds killed value of net org biz and info and thats all because of newbies idiots in domaining.
Not nice to read what you said, and the truth hurts, but its real. ngtlds definitely killed .biz, .net and almost .info(or am i in denial? lol). weird to see how LLL.biz just lost sooo much value.

•••
I've invested in a small amount of good two-word brandable .net names, and have had decent results. Five sales in the last two years between $400 and $700. Not killer numbers or anything, but enough for me to hold them another year or two.

Granted, three of the sold names started with "Cloud", and I'm much further ahead on .com names, so yeah... I'm not spending much more time on them.

•••
Rewards.net just went for 5k at dn sales.

•••
As per the title, would you still buy a .net domain ? Would you consider them as second best choice to a .com or have they lost their significance now that there are so many other extensions ?

If you buy a good dot net at the right price you can't go wrong I own one of the top keywords and I get Offers almost every single day for more than I paid for it.

•••
While the number of .net sales has gone down in recent years, the average selling price is almost constant in the last few years. If we compare to all time, the price is down (but so is com). It is difficult to be sure on numbers per year as coverage on NameBio not constant over the full period.

2018 so far $951 1426 sales (over about 1/2 of year, so about 2800 projection)
2017 $969 3664
2016 $852 6680
5 year average $1084 average of 3900 .net sales per year
all time (2002 to present) $1766 2370 sales per year

It would appear that .net peaked in sales maybe 2015-16 (NameBio does not easily allow you to do year by year far back), but not in price, which peaked much earlier.

PS One should be careful with average prices which are heavily influenced by one or two big sales. For example, mobile(.)net sold for $500,000 in mid 2014. The median price (usually much lower) in any extension is more typical of expected sales prices, but it is no longer provided in the NameBio stats as computing it slowed the search process.

Last edited:
•••
I look but rarely buy - I did sell a .net through afternic for high XXX in May.

•••
Of course it is worth buying - but focus only for strong keywords, and buy when you see underpriced asset.
I would avoid keyword1keyword2.net form of domains, unless it is something very very strong.

•••

It depends. From a domain investor perspective, no. There is a new survey that showed that .org is more popular than .net and I believe it to be true because I register .com and .org names over .net.

From a website developer perspective, it can be really sweet if you have a great idea and able to implement it well, then 1 word .net domains are perfect.

•••
I invested in getting Preachers.net
I think if you can get a good one word or LLL it's worth it.

You have to be much pickier when it comes to .net as there's not as big a market as a .com

•••
Yup, as per my signature, .nets are great buys for me.

•••
Thanks for the link! I have never looked much into short number domains, but I should learn more about them!

Re first coffee, I am not yet on first coffee. I start each day with my priorities straight:
1. NameBio
2. NamePros
3. Cofffee
(useful work is well down list :xf.smile:)
better man than me - need that coffee in the morning first!! :sleep:

•••
They're still worth it. But the bar is higher than for the corresponding .com.

•••
I'm not sure the new g's damaged .net as much as google killing keyword domains for developers. My top sale was a LLL.net

•••
Short and single word still have value in .NET you should focus on quality.

•••
•••
conclusion: .net don't worth buying anymore...

•••
.net's are still better than bandwagon randomkeywordherecrypto.com domains
conclusion: .net don't worth buying anymore...

•••
I'd buy a solid 1 word .net for the right price :)

•••
it is good if you are end user and you can't find your preferred .com domain, but if you want to sell, prepare to have the domain in your portfolio for a long time.

Last edited:
•••
I will go as far to say LLLL but needs to be a popular abbreviation (not many) or a word.

•••
I would agree with others, .NET domain registration needs to be done carefully and you have to be ready to hold on to it before you find/get a good offer. Currently it is not the "default" replacement for .COM domains, like it was before, as end-users now often opt for their ccTLD.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back