Dynadot

discuss Are gTLDs affecting .Com price and growth

NameSilo
Watch

Isac

Top Member
Impact
I think there is a decline in demand and price of .com domains because of new gTLDs. What's your opinion ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
But .com is the oldest one out there, to be honest .com still has great value.
New gLTD domains are developing.
Such as .top
According to the latest statistics released by the overseas statistics website namestat.org, in the world's new top-level domain name registration list,.TOP domain names ranked third on the list with 1,870,539 registrations.
I am optimistic about the future development of new top-level domain .top.

I am pretty sure the day will come when everybody will register / purchase .top domains.
There is no logical reason why this should not happen.

•••
Yeah it makes them worth so much more? its like bringing your ugliest grossest friends with you to a party ,suddenly the average guy looks like rock hudson

•••
But .com is the oldest one out there, to be honest .com still has great value.
New gLTD domains are developing.
Such as .top
According to the latest statistics released by the overseas statistics website namestat.org, in the world's new top-level domain name registration list,.TOP domain names ranked third on the list with 1,870,539 registrations.
I am optimistic about the future development of new top-level domain .top.

I see .Top chinese registry account was just closed. So what happened? They had a credit card bounce? Lol.

•••
I doubt that this were the new names as most startups go to .io or .co as an alternative to .net.

Most sales got to .co or .io not the new TLDs.

I would watch .io and .co if worried

it is not losing ground because people need a default extension, this could be anything like .cur or .dor or .im it does not matter but since we started with .com we will remain there.

alternatives will never eliminate the need for a default extension but they can eliminate competing alternatives.
What do you think about the new google update from last the days, do you think it will affect com and all gtlds by enforcing local results? I've tested it and out of top 50 results for 'club' keyword, only one .com(tripadvisor) the rest of them were cctld. For 'shop', were 4 .com and 1 .shop out of 50 and only 2 of them in english, the rest of them in local language, no more ebay, no amazon. How .com will grow or keep his value, if it's almost impossible to rank it in the first pages at google? If ebay or amazon can't take one of the top 50 pages, how easy will be for a random website using .com? If you don't use general english words and use local one's, than it's impossible to rank it even in top 100 pages. I wonder, with this change, google will enforce .us or .com as local in US? So probably by time, if they keep this update working, .com will be used mostly in US and just by a few international companies as backup. Even for 'news', random local blogs with less than 1k visitors rank much higher than reuters, cnn and the others.

Last edited:
•••
What do you think about the new google update from last the days, do you think it will affect com and all gtlds by enforcing local results? I've tested it and out of top 50 results for 'club' keyword, only one .com(tripadvisor) the rest of them were cctld.

not sure what you mean but when I search locally I always got mostly ccTLDs(depending on the language)

For 'shop', were 4 .com and 1 .shop out of 50 and only 2 of them in english, the rest of them in local language, no more ebay, no amazon. How .com will grow or keep his value, if it's almost impossible to rank it in the first pages at google?

one can't invest based on algo changes and could not for a long time. Google will make changes and reverse them a few months later only to reintroduce them again.

In 2017 domains don't matter that much in SEO. It is not that relevant what Google does with domains.What is important is that you have good content and strong brand.

When you buy a domain you buy a brand not a SEO hack. A brand will work when you have an extension that your target market internet users are most familiar with.

In France that means you buy a .fr. in China a .com and in Russia a .ru. If you want to target a global market you use a .com. There aren't any alternatives really.

If ebay or amazon can't take one of the top 50 pages, how easy will be for a random website using .com? If you don't use general english words and use local one's, than it's impossible to rank it even in top 100 pages. I wonder, with this change, google will enforce .us or .com as local in US? So probably by time, if they keep this update working, .com will be used mostly in US and just by a few international companies as backup. Even for 'news', random local blogs with less than 1k visitors rank much higher than reuters, cnn and the others.

In my opinion you are seeing what you want to see. For some reason you want to see .com dead. Nothing has changed really. 15 years ago the situation was not much different than today. Businesses do with domains what they always did. People are saying SEO is dead, .com is dead for 20 years and it never happened. I don't know what else to say.

Last edited:
•••
not sure what you mean but when I search locally I always got mostly ccTLDs(depending on the language)

one can't invest based on algo changes and could not for a long time. Google will make changes and reverse them a few months later only to reintroduce them again.

In 2017 domains don't matter that much in SEO. It is not that relevant what Google does with domains.What is important is that you have good content and strong brand.

When you buy a domain you buy a brand not a SEO hack. A brand will work when you have an extension that your target market internet users are most familiar with.

In France that means you buy a .fr. in China a .com and in Russia a .ru. If you want to target a global market you use a .com. There aren't any alternatives really.

In my opinion you are seeing what you want to see. For some reason you want to see .com dead. Nothing has changed really. I don't know what else to say.
I don't have anything with .com, my online shops are using a .com, but I wonder how they will be affected by this change...to not be able to rank a .com in top pages says a lot. For what it's useful a brand using .com if nobody who will look for it through google will not find it. If you do some advertising and use just the link, you can use whatever you want, because it will be the same. I will try to buy most of the ctld equivalents in the counties where I sell, at least I will not loose to much. What's the point to own a good brand like icecream.com with good content and try to sell ice creams in a certain country outside US, when it will almost impossible to rank high in google with it, almost everybody using hjfej.fr in France or kjfkjrkhhk.de in Germany will rank higher selling ice creams than you in these countries ..it will be more cost effective to just use the cctls, at lest you will have a chance. If you count just on paid advertising, than is even worse. Why pay 2-3-10k for a .com domain if you are in France, Germany and even UK when everybody using a .fr, .de, .co.uk tld will rank much higher than you with 10% of your content?

•••
I don't have anything with .com, my online shops are using a .com, but I wonder how they will be affected by this change...to not be able to rank a .com in top pages says a lot. For what it's useful a brand using .com if nobody who will look for it through google will not find it. If you do some advertising and use just the link, you can use whatever you want, because it will be the same. I will try to buy most of the ctld equivalents in the counties where I sell, at least I will not loose to much. What's the point to own a good brand like icecream.com with good content and try to sell ice creams in a certain country outside US, when it will almost impossible to rank high in google with it, almost everybody using hjfej.fr in France or kjfkjrkhhk.de in Germany will rank higher selling ice creams than you in these countries ..it will be more cost effective to just use the cctls, at lest you will have a chance. If you count just on paid advertising, than is even worse. Why pay 2-3-10k for a .com domain if you are in France, Germany and even UK when everybody using a .fr, .de, .co.uk tld will rank much higher than you with 10% of your content?

I don't know. End-users have always preferred a ccTLD over .com I believe?

Also is it really impossible to rank? I see a lot of .com for various keywords in different languages.

Search for jeux en ligne or credit immobilier for example.

•••
I don't know. End-users have always preferred a ccTLD over .com I believe?

Also is it really impossible to rank? I see a lot of .com for various keywords in different languages.

Search for jeux en ligne or credit immobilier for example.
It's seems that it's almost impossible to rank if you use a english language shop and using a .com, trying to sell in a country using another language. If it's a .com but in local language, than you have some chances, but still one shop using a cctld and local language will rank much higher than you with half the content and seo. For example, for keyword 'news' I have found local news related blogs ranking much higher than most of the big guys from this industry, who are using a .com and english language. If the keyword is in another language than english, than is almost impossible to rank as well, for example for keywords 'motorcycles', a shop using .com and using the english language will have no chance for ranking better than a local shop using a ctls and the equivalent local keyword. For example, until now amazon, ebay and others were ranking much higher than my shops for tons of keywords, even if they were using a .com or other tld and english language. Now, they are nowhere to be find for the same keywords, so probably the small, local shops will have an advantage over the big general shops, with this update. I was using english language to sell in more than 10 EU countries using only one shop, but now I intend to use more cctlds and local languages for each country.

Last edited:
•••
It's seems that it's almost impossible to rank if you use a english language shop and using a .com, trying to sell in a country using another language. If it's a .com but in local language, than you have some chances, but still one shop using a cctld and local language will rank much higher than you with half the content and seo. For example, for keyword 'news' I have found local news related blogs ranking much higher than most of the big guys from this industry, who are using a .com and english language. If the keyword is in another language than english, than is almost impossible to rank as well, for example for keywords 'motorcycles', a shop using .com and using the english language will have no chance for ranking better than a local shop using a ctls and the equivalent local keyword. For example, until now amazon, ebay and others were ranking much higher than my shops for tons of keywords, even if they were using a .com or other tld and english language. Now, they are nowhere to be find for the same keywords, so probably the small, local shops will have an advantage over the big general shops, with this update. I was using english language to sell in more than 10 EU countries using only one shop, but now I intend to use more cctlds and local languages for each country.

Excellent reply thank you.

•••
gTLDs are made from popular sales history keywords so the extension keyword itself is already popular. If you also look at history buyers had no clue and bought all sorts of ccTLD extensions so gTLD has an even better chance in aftermarket.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back