IT.COM

discuss New gTLDs growing faster than .COM, latest Verisign data shows

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
New gTLDs grew faster than .com in the last 12 months.

That seems to be one of the conclusions that can be drawn from Verisign’s Q2 Domain Name Industry Brief, which was published (pdf) yesterday, if you dig into the numbers a little.

The headline number is that the number of all domains across all TLDs was 296 million, up sequentially by 2.2 million domains. That’s annual growth of 16.4 million domains, Verisign said.

The complete article with stats and the comparison between .COM and new gTLDs may be found on Domain Incite

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why are you copy-pasting news?

•••
There are about 7 million nTLDs right now vs well over 100 million .COMs. Anyone want to guess how many .COM domains we will have in three years and how many new TLDs? .COM does appear to be flatlining and new extensions are still being rolled out. However, new TLDs have not yet suffered the massive drop cycle which is coming. The renewal rate for new TLDs is going to be quite a bit lower than .COM.

•••
I dont think this was a very well thought out article.

From what I gather from the PDF and the articles interpretation of it, is that we are pitting one singular extension (.COM) vs. 1,000+ nTLDs (and growing) and make claim that there is news to be had there?

Seriously?

Did someone think about this before writing this tripe?
By including ALL of the nTLDs into one group, you are increasing the velocity of their growth by that much. Given the number of nTLDs, its hard to imagine any other outcome when you lump them into one group.

This is an ill conceived article and should probably be better thought out before trying to make something out of the numbers that just are not there.

If you can tell me that (such and such) nTLD extension on its own is outpacing .COM, then maybe I will listen but from my understanding of this (mind you... my understanding of this). this article is just garbage.

Just this mans thoughts

Cheers

•••
Perhaps .XYZ with comparable renewal prices could be compared to .COM

1% typical industry turnover x $10 renewals means $1000 in renewals on 100 domains

given commissions on most platforms are 15-20% you need a $1250 sale merely to have break even cash flow (ignoring acquisition cost which would factor into ROI)

How many $1250 .XYZ sales do you see on DNJ sales reports?

•••
I am going to stick with .com until nGTLds prove their worth for end users.. Then I can buy them on the aftermarket just like I do now with .com. Why gamble before that?

•••
There is only one .com where as the same terms can and are being reg'd a heck of a lot of times in new GTLD's.

My guess is most of these new GTLD reg's are domainers speculating.

It is not quantity but quality established sites that matter. For this reason if the suggestion is that new GTLD's are overtaking .com, a theory based only upon numbers, I have to refute that.

•••
I would also add that the market for new GTLD's has a lot more scope for growth than .com, which has been around a lot longer.

In fact I'd be astounded if the numbers of new GTLD's weren't growing faster than .com but if you put it all in context its just not meaningful in terms of their respective values.

•••
This comparison is extremely misleading.

It is comparing net registrations (.COM registrations - deletions) to primarily gross registrations of new gTLD, since most have not even gone through their first drop cycle yet.

If you compare gross (total registrations) of both it is not even close.

Then when you factor in all the new gTLD registrations that inflate the numbers like .XYZ forced free registrations, other extension free registrations, all the registry reserved domains like North Sound and others, the numbers are even less impressive.

Brad

•••
So we are quickly approaching 300 million registered domain names and a large percentage of domains (probably the majority of non-hyphenated domains 15 characters and under ) are held by investors. Rick Schwartz has made comments that there are only a few hundred domain investors who actually make a living from domains. So why do we continue to give registrars / registries our money?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back