NameSilo

Apprasial scam

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This is allmost the same exact email that I got at a different email address. There is allready a thread abou this guy but I couldnt find it. Here is the email that I got:
From
[email protected]
Hello,

How much do you want for your domain?

We have found it listed for sale and we have a good offer for you.

Our company invests in domains and developed sites. If you have a list of
domains for sale, please send the list with prices in plain text.

We prefer ".com", ".net", ".co", ".co.uk", ".us" and easy-to-remember
names with other extensions.

Regards,

Michael Steinberg

CEO

NB&T LLC (Web Hosting & Name Investing)
========================================================
NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged
information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by
unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message
and deleting it from your computer.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I also got the same email this morning.

Hello,

Regards,

Michael Steinberg

CEO

NB&T LLC (Web Hosting & Name Investing)

I thought it would be prudent to do some due diligence on this person/firm before sending any response - it seems this was a wise move!

Incidentally, the domain for this person's email address (name-business.com) redirects to: webhostingclue.com

•••
He's driving new people to this site since he used this site to create his spam post.

This is what I got.

Hello,

Can you accept 2,000 USD?

I have a 10,000 USD budget for 5-8 domain names. Have you had your domain names evaluated in the past? Without a valuation certificate we cannot be sure in the sale price. Moreover, my accountant and tax services always ask for valaution certificates :). On the other side, it's very important for me in terms of reselling too. Of course, we must engage a valuation company with a REAL manual service. So I will only accept valuations from independent sources I and my accountant trust.

To avoid mistakes I asked domain experts about reputable appraisal companies. Please check this blog with suggestions from other sellers and buyers:
Domain Talk

If, for example, the valuation comes higher you can adjust your asking price accordingly. It will be fair. I also hope you can give me 12% - 15% discount.

After you send me the valuation via email (usually it takes 1-2 days to obtain it) we'll continue our negotiations. Do you sell domain with a web site or just the name? Domain without content is ok with me. Web site is not necessary.

What is your preferred payment method: Escrow.com, International wire transfer, PayPal.com or something else?

Hope we can come to an agreement fast.

Looking forward to your reply.

•••
Actually his link goes to THEnamepros.com

•••
I got the same message too for my QT7.net

Thanks for the heads up.

•••
Got the same email just now on one domain. Darn, thought I might have a legit offer - at least NP ranks well for this email and I know now to be cautious.

•••
Just got this email today.

•••
Got this email today. Disappointing.

•••
Got the very same message today. Lucky I flicked through this thread before. 8-X

8^XI got one today and was offered $9000

Hello,

Regards,

Mark Groover

CEO

Name & Hosting Businees LLC

2nd one

Can you accept 9,000 USD?

I have a 48,000 USD budget for 5-8 domain names. Have you had your domain names evaluated in the past? Without a valuation certificate we cannot be sure in the sale price. Moreover, my accountant and tax services always ask for valaution certificates :). On the other side, it's very important for me in terms of reselling too. Of course, we must engage a valuation company with a REAL manual service. So I will only accept valuations from independent sources I and my accountant trust.

To avoid mistakes I asked domain experts about reputable appraisal companies. Please check this blog with suggestions from other sellers and buyers:
http://www.thenamepros.com/Archive/9217506.htm

If, for example, the valuation comes higher you can adjust your asking price accordingly. It will be fair. I also hope you can give me 12% - 15% discount.

After you send me the valuation via email (usually it takes 1-2 days to obtain it) we'll continue our negotiations. Do you sell domain with a web site or just the name? Domain without content is ok with me. Web site is not necessary.

What is your preferred payment method: Escrow.com, International wire transfer, PayPal.com or something else?

•••
[qoute]
================================================== ======
================================================== ======
[/qoute]
A classic sign of an email being a scam.When I see this in emails from sites I haven't signed up on or agreed to receive emails from then I know to steer clear of them.

•••
Damn, just when I got a nice offer!

Got this email today (1st and 2nd, too)

So, what's his scam? How does he get to steal your domain or money?

•••
Damn, just when I got a nice offer!

Got this email today (1st and 2nd, too)

So, what's his scam? How does he get to steal your domain or money?
I presume he tells you about a 'transaction fee' and that he requires transfer of domain first.
That way he has your domain but never pays the money or pays next to nothing of what he promised.

•••
Same e-mail

I received essentially the same e-mail this morning but from [email protected]. The content of the e-mail is almost exactly the same. I was at first misled because name-business.com redirects to webhostingclue comwhich looks like it's a valid Bluehost site so I did a little digging.

First webhosting clue com is owned by a guy in Hong Kong. The site was registered in 2006 and expires in 2018. Here's the details:

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: WEBHOSTINGCLUE.COM
Created on: 06-Oct-06
Expires on: 06-Oct-18
Last Updated on: 01-Jan-10

This may be valid because I don't know many scammers that would take out a 12 year registration. He's probably being redirected to because his site looks like the kind of site that would purchase domains. So a little more work with the shovel uncovered that the address of the original e-mail, name-business.com is owned by:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

but this is the interesting part. Look at the registration information for this address:

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: NAME-BUSINESS.COM
Created on: 07-Sep-10
Expires on: 07-Sep-11
Last Updated on: 07-Sep-10

It was created just a few days ago. Seems like this is a big time scam to phish domain names from unsuspecting people and perhaps hijack the better ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
I actually just responded to this thread because I did an email search for the guys email address and found this thread indexed as a result.

I think the "scam" is much easier than this. The link he gives in his response to your inquiry is:

thenamepros . com/Archive/ 9217506.htm

When you lookup thenamepros . com it takes you to webhostingforums.com

I registered there and did a search for Groover, Nameseller, and Don Williams - none exist.

It's possible that he was just having a conversation with himself in that thread and it all points to using
Certified Domain Value com wanted .asp

as the "independent manual evaluation service" and for $59Euro you can get someone to evaluate your website for him.

That may be his business. He may just be drumming up business by quoting you a very high price for your domain so you get excited and think that a $59Euro investement is peanuts in comparison.

In fact, in his email he asks me if the site is developed or I would just be willing to sell the name. It would be obvious if he checked it out.

Here is what you do. Agree to his terms, but tell him to use that service and that you will use another service once he submits it's report. This way the risk is even more minimial to him since TWO independent domain name evaluation services will be giving an assessment, and that you guys will agree to something in between the two.

Here are the email exchanges. You can see how he has responded to that proposal on my part:

His First Email said:
Hello,

Regards,

Mark Groover

CEO

Name & Hosting Solutions LLC

My response #1 said:
Hi Mark,

What is your offer?

His Email #2 said:
Can you accept 20,000 USD?

I have a 48,000 USD budget for 5-8 domain names. Have you had your domain names evaluated in the past? Without a valuation certificate we cannot be sure in the sale price. Moreover, my accountant and tax services always ask for valaution certificates :). On the other side, it's very important for me in terms of reselling too. Of course, we must engage a valuation company with a REAL manual service. So I will only accept valuations from independent sources I and my accountant trust.

thenamepros . com/Archive/9217506.htm

My 2nd Response said:
I would be happy to let you use whatever domain evaluation service you prefer to use. I will cross reference their appraisal with a service of my own and we can come to an agreement that way. At this point, I will accept your offer. I don't mind using escrow.com, but you will have to handle the fee. As far as paypal is concerned they charge 2.5% per transaction. I will accept paypal as well. If you, alternatively, insist in international bank transfer, I'm happy with that too.

Let me know your response.

His 3rd Email said:
I see, but it's a standard practice to show independent valuation to
buyers/resellers. Nobody will do business without it. I'm a businessman and
have no intention of changing rules which help both parties to avoid
additional risks.

Of course, investors never take into account auto-generated valuations. So
manual valuation is a "must" too.

I read the following information about appraisals at:

Without the independent valuation from a trusted source we don't spend a
penny. This is our financial policy. So our offer is just a rought estimate.
If the appraisal comes higher we are ready to offer a bit more. If it comes
lower we will discuss the price with you again.

Thank you for understanding. I'm looking forward to doing business with you.

Hope we can come to an agreement fast because I'll be on vacation soon.

My Third response said:
I think you misunderstood me. I fully agree and will do so. I've made it even more risk free for you. You use the source in the link you've found to evaluate this .com and I will use another trusted and reputable manual service. We will then compare and see what two independent evaluators suggest. Much less risk on your part. Let me know when you are prepared to move forward on this.

I haven't received another response from him yet, but you can see he keeps redirecting you back to the thenamepros.com archive where, if you read carefully, there really is only ONE truly recommended service. If you look up that service it was created July of this year, also by domainsbyproxy.com

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Domain Name: CERTIFIEDDOMAINVALUE.COM
Created on: 02-Jul-10
Expires on: 02-Jul-11
Last Updated on: 02-Jul-10

Interesting way to scam a hundred bucks or so off of unsuspecting domainers.

Dumb fecker!

If anyone gets this message, reply with the same response I've given you, then post the responses here. Hopefully this page can get indexed high enough that if anyone is astute enough to do a search on his web domain, or email, they find it and avoid the scam!

Enjoy,

Jay

•••
Happy I found this thread, big thank you to those that brought this to attention. I received the same emails as some of you, I will post the messages from him that I received and again he directs me to the namepros . com

Hello,

Regards,

Mark Groover

CEO

I have a 4,000 USD budget for 5-8 domain names. Have you had your domain names evaluated in the past? Without a valuation certificate we cannot be sure in the sale price. Moreover, my accountant and tax services always ask for valaution certificates :). On the other side, it's very important for me in terms of reselling too. Of course, we must engage a valuation company with a REAL manual service. So I will only accept valuations from independent sources I and my accountant trust.

I see, but it's a standard practice to show independent valuation to
buyers/resellers. Nobody will do business without it. I'm a businessman and
have no intention of changing rules which help both parties to avoid
additional risks.

Of course, investors never take into account auto-generated valuations. So
manual valuation is a "must" too.

I read the following information about appraisals at:

Without the independent valuation from a trusted source we don't spend a
penny. This is our financial policy. So our offer is just a rought estimate.
If the appraisal comes higher we are ready to offer a bit more. If it comes
lower we will discuss the price with you again.

Thank you for understanding. I'm looking forward to doing business with you.

The last email I received was the one that set off red flags and that led me to doing some research. The email that was used was [email protected].

Thank you again for this heads up, it potentially saved me from a huge mistake.

•••
•••
If you're not totally new to domaining you'd know that these are common "domain-related" scams...

Most of the times, you'd end up paying for "something" and they will never buy your domain.

•••
fuh...that scammer almost got me..I got one also

Hello,

Regards,

Mark Groover

CEO

•••
You guys can send a phishing report to godaddy here:
http://supportcenter.godaddy.com/Abuse/SpamReport.aspx
Be sure to include the headers from the email you received.

Does anyone know the URL of his fake appraisal company?

yeah I posted it in my message above:

Certified Domain Value dot com

It was registered via domainsbyproxy in July.

He's making everyone get all excited by offering them big coin, and indirectly sending them to that site by linking to another domain pro website where he's having a conversation with several of his own sock puppets, to give the illusion of solidarity, where one of them plugs the Certified Domain Value dot com site.

:rolleyes:

They charge $59Euro per "evaluation" which is the scam.

He thinks if he hits up enough domain owners with a big number, the $59Euro fee will pale in comparison.

What a dumb feck!

•••
domainsbyproxy is godaddys email when a buyer chooses privacy protection(how i know this?I happen to have privacy on a domain of mine at godaddy).
So report anyone who got this email should forward it to godaddy customer support along with the complaint that the registrant is running a scam on a domain purchased at godaddy and that uses privacy protection.

•••
Got this exact e-mail this morning, replied with my price and haven't heard back yet. Glad i did a Google search on the company name he listed at the bottom of his e-mail.

My e-mail came from [email protected]

Sending the godaddy spam report now.

-tw

•••
Got the similar email yesterday. The 2nd email also ask for 'evaluated by certified valuation experts' .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back