Dynadot

.app .APP Registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Now that .APP is rolling out I thought I'd share a little of our position in .APP domains. I'd love to know what others are doing.

We budgeted just shy of $100k for .APP domain registrations. Several we've already acquired and several we've missed. I'll update our pickups as I can without giving away our position. So far I will share that we picked up:
  • Wedding.app

Trademark Claim
I do have a domain that we registered that has to pass their trademark claim process... it is very generic, not sure who decided to try to call it a trademark, we shall see.

Our Why
To sum it up, Google is our why. I became a domainer back in 2000, when the domain really mattered in SEO. My hunch is that Google won't be able to resist giving some type of preference to quality .APP domain.

Even a small advantage in the SERs or even the Play App Search results, make generic .APP domains valuable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Something is not right, registrations must be in que, as stuff that should be pre-registered is showing available.
They're either trying to siphon more money out of people or offering them to yay.com... for more money.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Godaddy just sent a mailshot out saying that .APP is available too, I doubt that's going to be helping load either.

•••
They're either trying to siphon more money out of people or offering them to yay.com... for more money.
Doesn't make sense. Couple of hours back I pre-registered at Yay.com too. Their pricing was equal to 101domains.

•••
Uniregistry hand registered my 2 pre orders fine 30 minutes in, godaddy did not execute, nor did it execute when I tried to hand reg the same names when GA opened, as pre reg failed. You guys should check your pre reg, and if you still can get them, go to another registry.

Last edited:
•••
Not hitting account... furious. Anyone got yet? :xf.confused:
Not Surprised. People dealing with dropped domain sites like DropCatch know that that processing/ allotment takes anywhere between 30 mins to 2 hours before a dropped domain is assigned to registrar.

•••
Cool!. 101domain just assigned me 1 of the 3 domains I pre-registered with them. Phew!

•••
•••
•••
If it says processing, don't celebrate yet.
Nope. The notification clearly says my domain is active. Processed and done

•••
GD still no news!
If you chose Godaddy, they didn't catch any pre-reg, you need to find another registry to put your orders thru if you do not want to lose them. Uniregistry is working right away.

•••
Nope. The notification clearly says my domain is active. Processed and done
Congrats! I have 3 "processing". I know for a fact that 2 were taken a couple days ago.

•••
If you chose Godaddy, they didn't catch any pre-reg, you need to find another registry to put your orders thru if you do not want to lose them. Uniregistry is working right away.
I chose GD because of points I have there. Enough points to reg 2 .app domains lol

•••
I chose GD because of points I have there. Enough points to reg 2 .app domains lol
Well I had 2 out of 4 pre-reg still in play, logged in about 15 minutes into GA to check the status, no change, did a whois, everything was available, then I hand reg'd them with godaddy, they failed to execute even though they placed my order. Then I went to uniregistry, and hand registered them also, and they were into my account right away. So godaddy is backedup, or something has failed, and it is not processing .app, even though it looks like it might be, or showing available for registration.

•••
I just registered a domain through uniregistry. It's registered according to uniregistry and when WHOISed on DomainTools.com, but not according to WHOIS on https://Registry.Google

It looks like Registry.Google is cached.

•••
Interesting! I checked at uniregistry and it says registered. Hoping for them to show up soon.

•••
I just registered a domain through uniregistry. It's registered according to uniregistry and when WHOISed on DomainTools.com, but not according to WHOIS on https://Registry.Google

It looks like Registry.Google is cached.
did u hand reg it or, was it pre-registered?

•••
.App is on fire. If don't think you can register something good anymore, seems they are all gone the second it dropped.

Had to reg one just now to test if my pre-registers went through or not. Went through so not looking positive on those pre-orders

If you had a few K sitting idle, best moment was to register on the 130usd period with 15usd renewals.

For example you could of got Cashless.app.

Last edited:
•••
Well I had 2 out of 4 pre-reg still in play, logged in about 15 minutes into GA to check the status, no change, did a whois, everything was available, then I hand reg'd them with godaddy, they failed to execute even though they placed my order. Then I went to uniregistry, and hand registered them also, and they were into my account right away. So godaddy is backedup, or something has failed, and it is not processing .app, even though it looks like it might be, or showing available for registration.

Godaddy is definitely off. Didn't get a single pre-reg there and like people are saying you can hand register them at Uniregsitry and immediately resolving.

•••
•••
I just found a name that Godaddy grabbed. They got it at 21 minutes after. Thats horrrrrrrible.

•••
Godaddy is definitely off. Didn't get a single pre-reg there and like people are saying you can hand register them at Uniregsitry and immediately resolving.

Yup. I pre-ordered 8 names with GoDaddy yesterday, and none went to GoDaddy. And more to the point: at least 3 of them exited pre-order as available and anyone could've registered them at any registrar.

•••
Yup. I pre-ordered 8 names with GoDaddy yesterday, and none went to GoDaddy. And more to the point: at least 3 of them exited pre-order as available and anyone could've registered them at any registrar.
Why would anyone do a preorder instead of just paying to register right away? Anything good has premium cost and renewal anyways.

•••
I believe that names with minimal or no competition are getting confirmed sooner while, competetive names are still 'processing'.
The domain which as processed and assigned to me was mymeeting/app. Not sure of it was in competition.

•••
Why would anyone do a preorder instead of just paying to register right away? Anything good has premium cost and renewal anyways.

Huh?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back