Domain Empire

discuss Any Good Domains Left?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do You Hand Reg Domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    72.7%
  • No

votes
    7.3%
  • Rarely

votes
    20.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I don't know what you think, but I have been pretty regularly selling domains that I hand registered.

I've read that some domain investors only buy aftermarket domains, and that there aren't any valuable domains left to hand register.

I personally think there are still good names available for hand reg.

I'm curious where other Domainers stand on this?

Seems many of the reported completed sales are hand regged domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Most of my sales since 2003 are from expired $8 pick ups. Did just sell 1 hand regged newer domain for almost 16k profit. So most of my income comes from expired .coms but I've rang the register a good handful of times on new hand regs as well. I barely touch auctions unless it's for a site I wish to develop or a deal that can't be passed up. So basically almost every sale I've made since 2003 was x-xx into high xxx-xx,xxx. Harder than 2003=yes but some expired gems still slip through the cracks and some hand regged have produced amazing ROI. Not about buying everything in your possible list it's about staring at 100 possibles and having the discipline to just register the top 3-5 and wait for the next batch of 100 and repeat. I've seen plenty of domainers portfolios and quite a few go ape and hand reg everything in sight but that doesn't usually pan out, gotta skim the top 5% and only buy what makes end user sales sense. Definitely money in hand regs as their basically all profit sales just can't go goofy on them until ya have some sales experience/history and an educated guess to what will sell and what would rot for years with no offers.

Last edited:
•••
With creativity and new trends showing up every day, you will always come across good names to handreg

•••
Seems many of the reported completed sales are hand regged domains.
All domains were hand-regged at some point :xf.smile: The question is when was that ? :xf.wink:

Personally I hardly handreg anymore, unless I am likely to develop the domain and I have an idea in mind. I have better results with aged names but handregs can work if you are able to capitalize on upcoming trends.

•••
i am sure some people did well handregging crypto names early

•••
•••
People have been saying hand reg's are dead since I joined in 2007. Now stop and think about these things for a moment. In 2010 one could still hand register:

Blockchain.com
Bitcoin.whatever
Crypto.whatever

Many blockchain/crypto/ethereum domains

Many VR domains

Thousands of premium .io domains.

Many LLLL.com

Many 5N.com

Many brandables

In 2015 one could still hand register many good crypto domains.

Those who don't keep an eye on trends and take a small chance are the ones left crying after a trend surges. I listened to all those people who told me not to waste money on Crypto. I listened when they told me to get rid of 5N .com's.

I vow never to listen to the naysayers again. In this day and age you're never going to make the big profits unless you take a chance on trend names and niches. It is all well and good buying liquid domains, GEO's and all with decent profits but those are rarely big ROI's.

In this day and age, if you don't have 6-7 figures to invest in a premium domain name, the only way you'll make big bucks is the trend names.

If you want the biggest ROI, do a lot of research and go for the trends and have big balls when those trends blow up. In the mean time make smaller profits/roi with GEO's, liquids, brandables so you can afford more trend names.

Last edited:
•••
I vow never to listen to the naysayers again
Good Starting point. Napster, Myspace, Real Player - I could go on for days, there are all dead. Spotify gives away music for free because it can't sell it for 0.99p. You couldn't find one entrepreneur on planet earth who could make music.com profitable or brandable with a globally scaled user base - More importantly, that ship has sailed.

There will always be valuable domains to hand register. I'll see Jesus Christ reincarnated before music.com is sold for even 6 figures > my $0.02

Listen to nobody.png

Last edited:
•••
People have been saying hand reg's are dead since I joined in 2007. Now stop and think about these things for a moment. In 2010 one could still hand register:

Blockchain.com
Bitcoin.whatever
Crypto.whatever

Many blockchain/crypto/ethereum domains

Many VR domains

Thousands of premium .io domains.

Many LLLL.com

Many 5N.com

Many brandables

In 2015 one could still hand register many good crypto domains.

Those who don't keep an eye on trends and take a small chance are the ones left crying after a trend surges. I listened to all those people who told me not to waste money on Crypto. I listened when they told me to get rid of 5N .com's.

I vow never to listen to the naysayers again. In this day and age you're never going to make the big profits unless you take a chance on trend names and niches. It is all well and good buying liquid domains, GEO's and all with decent profits but those are rarely big ROI's.

In this day and age, if you don't have 6-7 figures to invest in a premium domain name, the only way you'll make big bucks is the trend names.

If you want the biggest ROI, do a lot of research and go for the trends and have big balls when those trends blow up. In the mean time make smaller profits/roi with GEO's, liquids, brandables so you can afford more trend names.
Good point!

•••
Unfortunately it seems there are still names that turn up, and I get tempted.
I've just registered BinThat.com , and I really have enough quirky names to use. :)

Also, I don't understand why some names seem to get ignored. I picked up CryptoBounty.com a few days ago. That had been neglected, and even when I run it though some of the valuation sites, they come up with a value of zero. With air drops, ICOs and a whole load of other crypto promotions that seem to be collectively referred to as "bounty", I would have thought that it was a reasonably desirable name. Anyway, I'll keep it for my own use to promote Bitcoin related stuff.

•••
Unfortunately it seems there are still names that turn up, and I get tempted.
I've just registered BinThat.com , and I really have enough quirky names to use. :)

Also, I don't understand why some names seem to get ignored. I picked up CryptoBounty.com a few days ago. That had been neglected, and even when I run it though some of the valuation sites, they come up with a value of zero. With air drops, ICOs and a whole load of other crypto promotions that seem to be collectively referred to as "bounty", I would have thought that it was a reasonably desirable name. Anyway, I'll keep it for my own use to promote Bitcoin related stuff.
Good find on crypto/bounty.

•••
•••
Lots of Names still available if you read, search for companies or end-users that would need your name and then go in with your guts.I go with expired and then after much reading and research, register if names are shorter than the 3 words a company uses or they mind works better and they need to upgrade.But lots of gems still there even today for domainers to make $$$ to $$$$. Just search, filter and get it because someone else is also doing same. No matter the competition out there you will find something from time to time but you also need to wait if the name doesn't sell right away if you are impatient because you may have a good name and not know it. Most domainers have different strategies, buy to flip fast and reinvest or wait to sell at your maximum.Depends on your choice as we all have choices to make.

Thank you for coming up with this @Silentptnr , you seem to catch those names well.:xf.wink:Thank you @SpareDomains s love your strategies and being disciplined in making a choice is a good implementation in domaining because money is involved but most get carried away from time even me since domaining can be addicting.

•••
I essentially go through thousands upon thousands of names each day to eventually filter down and "watch" about 150 half decent ones per day:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/at...n-auction-and-closeout-domains.1006428/page-8

From those 150 there are maybe 30ish really good ones.

From those 30 .. about 5 pass through unnoticed.

Of those 5 .. I grab the better 2 or 3 either with a $12 auction bid or eventually grab at either $11 or $5 closeout.

Obviously if a domain is really good I'll still buy it at auction even if it's more than $12-17 .. so not 100% of what I buy is under $17 .. but these days a majority certainly is:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...on-or-closeout-in-your-account.1050374/page-5

All that to say I find choosing the very best 0.05% of names from multiple thousands usually ends up getting me better names than anything I could make up .. particularly considering the names I do get are mostly the best that fall through the cracks that I get very cheap relatively speaking and undervalue at even what I would consider wholesale prices.

That being said .. I do most certainly buy the occasional handreg .. usually if it's a future tech or possible future term. But those are about 2-3% of all my buys overall.

There are also certainly times when I saw a domain in a list and it made me think of checking an alternative I thought would be just as good or better.

For the most part however .. I'm usually grabbing expired domains.

(I selected "rarely" above")

•••
all good names are taken by me :)

•••
I love the creativity that comes along with hand registering domains. I know that valuable domains can be caught, but every time I try to get into the action, I feel like people are bidding up unrealistically.

Most times, I am shocked at how much expired domains go for.

•••
•••
•••
Most days when I miss on some names I feel is being bid up unrealistically, I just look for words and research on companies using 3 words brandables and find a good 2 words I know they would prefer.Turned down $2k on a hand reg I required more for since the potential is there for other companies to make use of.It's easy to make those low mid sales if every offers are accepted for my expired names but its hard to replace those names often so I try to get a reasonable sales price for it .

•••
same here...
e.g. logico.com Current Bid: $3555 USD insane
The potential is there for a 5 figure ROI depending on the company that needs an upgrade for it . Seeing a different value to your name will net you a lot if you price reasonably.I

•••
I find it a lot harder to hand register domain names then a few years back huge domains is picking up everything. I find it to be a waste of time without promos

•••
even l-l-l.coms.. dropcatch.com/Domain/F-o-x.com
double hyphen names..black-n-white.com recent drop: hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=black-n-white&e=com

•••
same here...
e.g. logico.com Current Bid: $3555 USD insane

Logico. net is an existing california San Diego area company, perhaps an end user upgrade bid. Its also logical in spanish masculine form usage, “logica” is feminino. ICO’s have been trending.

•••
Most of my sales are hand regs also. I do like the expired domains, I miss the days chatting at godrops.com with my domain dropcatching script, lol. You have to diversify though, reinvest in some liquid domains for those rainy days or when things go way up like we saw with 4L.com and don't disconnect too long or you'll be letting your hand regged 5n.coms drop before a flood of inquiries. Know when to hold em and fold em GL

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back