IT.COM

debate Let's be real, most successful domainers are people who registered domains 15-30 years ago

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Siggy2500

Established Member
Impact
This is what nobody talks about.

Decades ago, lets say roughly 25 years ago, when the internet was in its golden age, domains were in abundance and many good names were available, the average person could usually register the domain he needed without it being taken.

Domaining is not futureproof, not sustainable, it's more of an early-internet thing, even now the internet is still very young if you think about it, BUT, as the internet gets older and more people are using it, computers are advancing, the demand increases and all the half-decent domains get sucked up, even with the new TLDs. The new TLDs are overpriced, and nothing will ever compare to when the internet was fairly new, when good domains were available & free and without having to pay thousands of dollars or even millions for them.

Now, today, more than 20 years after the dot-com bubble, realistically, no domains are available for registering, only the pickers are left and if you want to get a good domain in your collection, you have to buy it at a premium and pray someone is going to buy it, and I don't think people really profit much from that at all, because it's likely that the would-be buyer is another domainer or as the nerds call it, "domain investor" like you, and I guess if the domainer or would-be buyer is smart he wouldnt buy the domain at any higher price than you did yourself because then he would have to resell it even higher if he's trying to make a profit just like you did. Then the price continues to become so high that there isn't much room left to profit off the domain within the domaining industry, then again there are chances it gets purchased by a business or individual interested in it, and then that domain goes out of public circulation and gets used as a website, with only the trash pickers left within the domaining industry.

Nobody wants domains ending in, for example: .xyz and other ugly similarities, even if you get a good domain with such ugly endings it's still realistically worthless, be real. The only TLDs in which "good" domains are worth anything are .COM, .NET and .AI, etc and that only being said if your website has traffic, it's true if you are a logical person and not a trash hoarder. The only domains which have value are high traffic domains, and if you have an ugly TLD domain, for example .xyz with high traffic, good for you, your domain has physical people entering it, then I can make an exception and consider it "valuable".

And finally, domains are not property which means you do not own them, you only have the right to use them and that is only so if you pay the yearly fee. Domains aren't property, therefore they have no book value, no officially recognized value because as I said, it's not property. It's only speculation and it's up to the so called "domain investors" what the market value for it is.

Different can be said about high traffic domains, as I said above, they have physical backing behind them in the form of customers (humans), which are important for generating revenue for a website. The only way you can make a domain "valuable" nowadays is by developing it into a website with traffic.

Alright, that is enough. Now I will be stormed with shit, feel free to thumbs down this post and mass-report me, moderate me or or whatever. I don't care! Just stay mad. Stay edgy! 🤡

And feel free to correct any mistake I made in this post, I might take it as advice, it depends. 🐒🐒🐒

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let me present a 'different view', not necessarily contrary, but different.

I have domain'd more than 20 years.
And I think what the forum starter is missing, is all of the history along the way.

While that is more than I am even willing to type out here, let me give you some highlights.

In the late 90's as not many realized the potential value and future need of domains, even fewer understood how to leverage the system itself as it was. And not all of that was without some underhanded activity.

For at a a time when search worked a bit different than you all are use to today, we all seek knowledge as to what the user was typing in the URL. Some used a partnership with cute toys folks would install to their browser to monitor that URL and compile the data back to a common place where it was weighed for potential. Call it insider info.

By just good guessing or using this insider info, you would know what domains were commonly misspelled.
That would lead the more devious ones to put up fake websites or just using the name for purposes of traffic to some other site. But you would know what folks were "looking for". A lot of money was made from this.
Many rules were created from the problems the bad actors made. But it was not immediate.

So, whether or not you could get a name in exact form, you could also determine how large some sectors were.
Buying names in the same class or might have similar demand in need.
Do keep in mind at this time a .com would cost you $100-150 to hand reg, so you were not buying in bulk.
There were no coupons or discounts.There was great value in names that had 'natural traffic'.

So, that is just some understanding of how this stuff started. It's not all pretty. Not everyone was underhanded.
Don't tell me that some of you would not jump at such an opportunity if it was looking right at you.
Or that you would not pay for some of that info.
Unfortunately, google rendered much of that useless anymore and browser security stepped up because of all the malware that was in those toys. Because that in itself became big biz spying on habits of users.
It is true that few understood the significance of domains. But that is the trick right down to the name isn't it.
This is a predictive sport.But you can't make a good future judgement unless you understand the now.

So, it can be said that those in this at that stage who made some very nice sums already had an advantage of funds to buy even more valuable names with a target in mind of a future 'high need with deep pockets'.
If you didn't have the funding, you are not going to compete at that level. You needed big sales to be able to corner the next sector.

...moving onward...

The market will continue to change...
15+ years or more ago, I would say that we hit saturation point.
That I define as the point where most everyone who existed that was going to have a presence on the inet was there with their own identity.
No more volume of people in need. Just new startups and perhaps some product expansion. No steep competition for the same name like 'insurance.com'. The best names were 'in use'.
It did not hit all at once, it creeped in from about 2007 - 2012. Most had a hard time explaining the poor sales numbers.

At about this same time, along came a new challenge.... Facebook.
Why would mid scale biz spend 100k on a name when 99% of their users were on facebook and not only could they get some very personal data about users habits and tendency's, they could specifically target them by the same. Much harder to do with a name on the web and google, but google had similar services, but Facebook analytics were indeed better because they had more intimate detail that google could not obtain.
Now the valuable info was a complete user profile complete with people you associate with who likely think the same..
Not good for names.

So the new game if you didn't have the funds to play the big game, was no longer buying and holding in bulk of just slightly better than average odds. Now you have to be decisive and well targeted about future markets. The easy game was over.

I will say, it took me a few years to adjust to this reality, but to react to it properly, you did have to understand what the market was in the past or you could never make adjustments to that going forward.

Which brings us to the present (after skipping over a lot)

The market will continue to change (said that before didn't I)

So when you think it is all over for domains, you have given up on your own ability to see future need.
That is OK if that is where you are. The successes of the past have not hindered anyone from making money in the present. It's just not as easy now. You really gotta work for it.
Find the need, then seek the opportunity of the name to fit it.

Let me say just a few things I seen over the years that even I myself have been guilty of that still happen in this marketplace.There is probably nothing any of you newer to this are going through or even about to, that are not mistakes I have made as well. The only difference with me is I have the long history.

We all feel we do our homework well. But often, you are not looking at the right things to do your homework on.
It's not that you are not putting in the effort, it's just in the wrong things.

I am not trying to make anyone think they way I do for there is plenty I am not saying. Some of it may be offensive because you may be guilty of it yourself and not yet willing to admit you need to look at your actions a bit closer.
If you don't see opportunity, then it is time to get out. We all watch sales reports of 6f sales. Do you take any time to see why those names brought so much. Try it. It's a good first step to judging the future.

I might add that it's important for any of you to watch your news with skepticism. Or you may be missleading yourself.

Let's take market sales reports...
If you don't look at the buyer and the buyers use of a name to see that indeed it was a end user sale, you are letting yourself get hyped up over perhaps a category of names that are only selling because of investor over speculation that never fruits or very little. Investor buys fluctuate with the stock market. Not an issue if you intend to sell into investor hype.
But if you want to stay more on solid ground, be aware.

Better homework as to what the market is now will help you to better decide what will be.

So, do you throw in the towel or will you do your homework better for a ever changing marketplace.
Roll with the changes. There have been and will be a lot of them.

Be it known that I do not 'target' 6 figure+ sales. It is a rich man's sport but perhaps you can get lucky.
Your mileage may vary.
I find more enjoyment and success targeting low 5 figures down to 2500 to start-ups.
Better cash flow and keeps me on my game.
Know that it is more of a level playing field than it ever has been. Except for this thing we call EXPERIENCE.
Which is that little voice in your head telling you that you are doing it wrong... again !
Willing to give up what you earned and quit now ?

Last edited:
•••
Lots of valid points there VRdommy and some good focus points on why quite a few of us curtailed our buying habits and reduced our portfolio size in recent years. If your old enough to have experienced the entire personal computing development. (right back to building your own desktops) Everything falls into place as to progression, the establishment of the internet etc. Would I want to enter the domain market today, No I very much doubt it. There is very little Pioneering today in regards new concepts or business types. Yesteryear was a time when opportunity had its reward for pure hard work, analysis and focus. Today it's mostly chasing Bubbles.

Sure, today everyone is on the internet, but that unfortunately is the point. Everything that isn't an example of a ' Wash, rinse and repeat' business type are few and far between. As thousands of businesses fold each month, so do their domain names drop and re-enter the same business cycle. But the appetite is only there for the top-of-the -tree names, every other configuration can be acceptably replicated. clever/smart wording still has its place but it just doesn't have the Kudos to attract high prices as much as it once did.

Last edited:
•••
Lots of valid points there VRdommy and some good focus points on why quite a few of us curtailed our buying habits and reduced our portfolio size in recent years. If your old enough to have experienced the entire personal computing development. (right back to building your own desktops) Everything falls into place as to progression, the establishment of the internet etc. Would I want to enter the domain market today, No I very much doubt it. There is very little Pioneering today in regards new concepts or business types. Yesteryear was a time when opportunity had its reward for pure hard work, analysis and focus. Today it's mostly chasing Bubbles.

Sure, today everyone is on the internet, but that unfortunately is the point
. Everything that isn't an example of a ' Wash, rinse and repeat' business type are few and far between. As thousands of businesses fold each month, so do their domain names drop and re-enter the same business cycle. But the appetite is only there for the top-of-the -tree names, every other configuration can be acceptably replicated. clever/smart wording still has its place but it just doesn't have the Kudos to attract high prices as much as it once did.
Yes, I even had a biz in the computer industry in the 80's where the biz I targeted thought at the time thought I was to young to know what I was doing....LOL It failed after a few years. Hard to get in the door and there were not many to serve.. So I went on to work in tech firms who were hungry for those that had hands on experience I got from spending lots of money buying advanced computer equipment. Good thing as I was nearly broke from it.
It is much better to learn on someone else's nickle.

So,
Stop chasing bubbles. That should be telling you that you are doing it wrong. I call it investor over-hype.
If you have been through it more than once, you should be able to recognize it by now.
You do need to learn from mistakes.
If you are simply going to cast your sail without control, you will go where the wind takes you.
Don't care where you are going ? Ride the wave !

You are investing in a future, not a now. Do you know what new biz is about to be created ?
This is a predictive sport.
If you are only trying to sell to what is here, I would not know what convincing skills you would need to do that task.
Perhaps hypnosis.
You have to present 'advantage', like natural traffic or some other in marketing advantage. Very hard work.
If you are not selling 'insurance.com' (my standby example) you need to adjust for that.

Let's use the stock market as a bit of an example.
The stock market value is also a predictive sport. It does not represent the true value of biz at a given time.
For you make your bets today about future profits expectation. You don't really know what they will be. You rely on news and info to help you make that decision. News and info that you should be critical of. It can be wrong or misleading.

I am staying away from examples that might be in current play in names.

ie I see a future demand for copper since it can not be replaced in the making of electric motors for EV's.
An existing biz. I might invest in those that mine it or process it or even transport it. Exploring for it ?
There may be more biz in the future doing the same ?
I am predicting a future demand for goods or services and potentially a name for a new biz filling the void.

But knowing the cost of copper is about to escalate from the demand, someone working on an alternative to copper might be attractive. What will they need in a name if you believe that this will happen ?
It does not matter to me if I see no real potential for an alternative to copper, but just someone will try.
Should I not invest in a name I think they will need since I also predicatively assume they will fail?
Start-ups do not normally budget high for a domain name, not that you can't extract it. It's normally overlooked.
Missing an opportunity. Someone else may not.

It may not be the best example, but it is an example.

Sharpen your pencil and get ready to use it. The above is example to what you are looking for if you want to score.

I normally spend more of my time talking people out of these bubbles they get themselves in.
Nobody wants to hear that. Especially when you have 50-150 similar names with the same kind of bet.
When in the last 15 years of domain history have you seen more than 5 end user sales in any given month using the same term. With exception to Chinese over-hype that happened in all niche's more than 5 years ago if you can remember that one (99% were not end-user sales). Where are they now?
How about 30 in the same year? To end users ? (I am speaking to charted sales)
Have you been paying attention to that at all ?

It's pretty well known that most domain investors, about 90%+ of them anyway,
will loose money their first 5 years overall. Of that remaining percentage, some make some end user sales, but mostly sell to other investors on the low end of that scale. There is nothing wrong with that.
Nobody on these social boards are going to admit how much money they loose over what they just made.
But everyone takes notice of a sale. Even sales to other investors without knowing that source.
And we all do what we have to to make it to the next potential bet.

I will admit here, I have sold into investor hype. I have seen it so many times, I deem domain investors predictable.
So, when I see it brewing, I look for opportunity.
Because when I see a shortfall in demand to make it to those future prediction bets I have made, I want to survive as well without using lunch money to get there so to speak.
But the difference is, I do not promote these types of names, in fact the whole time I am doing this, I'm likely talking against the bubble. And nobody wants to listen. What more can I do. Someone is going to sell them names. It might as well be me. I don't try to sell them. Just a lander with a price. If you buy a bad name, it's on you.
Maybe I am wrong and you will make money from it ? It is quicker cash for me then the longer end user wait.

Most on the loosing side of this equation are the product of their own greed, thinking a term has more potential demand than a actual market could produce. And can't get enough of them. This is just part of that learning curve, and if you have not over extended yourself, you might survive it.

You can learn more about what not to do by watching others making mistakes.
Draw from their experience without the cost.
For the experience you need takes time to acquire.
No lessons are remembered more than those mistakes you make yourself. But you have to be willing to admit them.
But if you are observant, you can learn by others mistakes for free.
You will know you are starting to get it when you recognize others making mistakes you have made and have admired to yourself. That is how it was for me anyway.

I will not make this long story any longer than I have.

But to add one of my favorite quotes from T.A. Edison since I was a very young teen.
'Great opportunities are lost by not taking advantage of small ones'.

•••
This is what nobody talks about.

Decades ago, lets say roughly 25 years ago, when the internet was in its golden age, domains were in abundance and many good names were available, the average person could usually register the domain he needed without it being taken.

I would imagine over time you collect data and trends, and note that down. Further down don't think anyone ever said domain names are a fast investment, you are in a sense "locked" in your funds but those funds can result in good returns, and the less data you collect the more of a risk it will become.

25 years ago 99% of the people had the most epic domains and let them expire or sold them for less than a coffee. 25 years ago it was a risk factor, long-term investment, and so forth.

Nobody wants domains ending in, for example: .xyz and other ugly similarities, even if you get a good domain with such ugly endings it's still realistically worthless, be real. The only TLDs in which "good" domains are worth anything are .COM, .NET and .AI, etc and that only being said if your website has traffic, it's true if you are a logical person and not a trash hoarder. The only domains which have value are high traffic domains, and if you have an ugly TLD domain, for example .xyz with high traffic, good for you, your domain has physical people entering it, then I can make an exception and consider it "valuable".

Yeah, when I was clueless and thought I missed out on BTC I decided to buy ETH at 0.XX turned out pretty damn good.

I will never understand the.Com bullshit, the only ones who keep pushing that agenda are those that hold mostly.com, but let's take a kid growing up and loving https://www.threads.net, and another one of their fav website on a .whatever.

Like wtf, we didn't have iPhones and 5G before but everyone that is born now sees it as absolutely normal, how on? earth can you think that's not the same with domain names?

On top of that, buying domain names as a business model, and bulk-loading them on Afternic, Dan, and the like isn't the point, is it?

Marketing ± skills, maybe you lack those.

•••
Like wtf, we didn't have iPhones and 5G before but everyone that is born now sees it as absolutely normal, how on? earth can you think that's not the same with domain names?

Yeah but it's like... You have android (.com), apple (.net/.org)... Maybe the other way around...

Good luck challenging them with whateverbrand (.whatever).

I share the sentiment though.

•••
Yeah but it's like... You have android (.com), apple (.net/.org)... Maybe the other way around...

Good luck challenging them with whateverbrand (.whatever).

I share the sentiment though.

Ok so then explain this.

Anyone who bought those epic .com domain names where thinking the same as most of us are doing now, however even on a much lower level.

The person who purchased a lot of, ai names, had to wait how long?

We know Apple is on their .com but they could open their store on a.net where it's the only way to gain apps.

I get what you are saying but I mean what about marketing?

So now everyone is going to say oh my god, The AI king got all these epic names.

What's next?

Not to be rude but pretty sure a single web3 on a XYZ can cover the net worth of 95% on this forum, and if I would venture into web3 I would also venture into domain extensions that just feel a bit more modern and not so insanely boring.

•••
Let me present a 'different view', not necessarily contrary, but different.

I have domain'd more than 20 years.
And I think what the forum starter is missing, is all of the history along the way.

While that is more than I am even willing to type out here, let me give you some highlights.

In the late 90's as not many realized the potential value and future need of domains, even fewer understood how to leverage the system itself as it was. And not all of that was without some underhanded activity.

For at a a time when search worked a bit different than you all are use to today, we all seek knowledge as to what the user was typing in the URL. Some used a partnership with cute toys folks would install to their browser to monitor that URL and compile the data back to a common place where it was weighed for potential. Call it insider info.

By just good guessing or using this insider info, you would know what domains were commonly misspelled.
That would lead the more devious ones to put up fake websites or just using the name for purposes of traffic to some other site. But you would know what folks were "looking for". A lot of money was made from this.
Many rules were created from the problems the bad actors made. But it was not immediate.

So, whether or not you could get a name in exact form, you could also determine how large some sectors were.
Buying names in the same class or might have similar demand in need.
Do keep in mind at this time a .com would cost you $100-150 to hand reg, so you were not buying in bulk.
There were no coupons or discounts.There was great value in names that had 'natural traffic'.

So, that is just some understanding of how this stuff started. It's not all pretty. Not everyone was underhanded.
Don't tell me that some of you would not jump at such an opportunity if it was looking right at you.
Or that you would not pay for some of that info.
Unfortunately, google rendered much of that useless anymore and browser security stepped up because of all the malware that was in those toys. Because that in itself became big biz spying on habits of users.
It is true that few understood the significance of domains. But that is the trick right down to the name isn't it.
This is a predictive sport.But you can't make a good future judgement unless you understand the now.

So, it can be said that those in this at that stage who made some very nice sums already had an advantage of funds to buy even more valuable names with a target in mind of a future 'high need with deep pockets'.
If you didn't have the funding, you are not going to compete at that level. You needed big sales to be able to corner the next sector.

...moving onward...

The market will continue to change...
15+ years or more ago, I would say that we hit saturation point.
That I define as the point where most everyone who existed that was going to have a presence on the inet was there with their own identity.
No more volume of people in need. Just new startups and perhaps some product expansion. No steep competition for the same name like 'insurance.com'. The best names were 'in use'.
It did not hit all at once, it creeped in from about 2007 - 2012. Most had a hard time explaining the poor sales numbers.

At about this same time, along came a new challenge.... Facebook.
Why would mid scale biz spend 100k on a name when 99% of their users were on facebook and not only could they get some very personal data about users habits and tendency's, they could specifically target them by the same. Much harder to do with a name on the web and google, but google had similar services, but Facebook analytics were indeed better because they had more intimate detail that google could not obtain.
Now the valuable info was a complete user profile complete with people you associate with who likely think the same..
Not good for names.

So the new game if you didn't have the funds to play the big game, was no longer buying and holding in bulk of just slightly better than average odds. Now you have to be decisive and well targeted about future markets. The easy game was over.

I will say, it took me a few years to adjust to this reality, but to react to it properly, you did have to understand what the market was in the past or you could never make adjustments to that going forward.

Which brings us to the present (after skipping over a lot)

The market will continue to change (said that before didn't I)

So when you think it is all over for domains, you have given up on your own ability to see future need.
That is OK if that is where you are. The successes of the past have not hindered anyone from making money in the present. It's just not as easy now. You really gotta work for it.
Find the need, then seek the opportunity of the name to fit it.

Let me say just a few things I seen over the years that even I myself have been guilty of that still happen in this marketplace.There is probably nothing any of you newer to this are going through or even about to, that are not mistakes I have made as well. The only difference with me is I have the long history.

We all feel we do our homework well. But often, you are not looking at the right things to do your homework on.
It's not that you are not putting in the effort, it's just in the wrong things.

I am not trying to make anyone think they way I do for there is plenty I am not saying. Some of it may be offensive because you may be guilty of it yourself and not yet willing to admit you need to look at your actions a bit closer.
If you don't see opportunity, then it is time to get out. We all watch sales reports of 6f sales. Do you take any time to see why those names brought so much. Try it. It's a good first step to judging the future.

I might add that it's important for any of you to watch your news with skepticism. Or you may be missleading yourself.

Let's take market sales reports...
If you don't look at the buyer and the buyers use of a name to see that indeed it was a end user sale, you are letting yourself get hyped up over perhaps a category of names that are only selling because of investor over speculation that never fruits or very little. Investor buys fluctuate with the stock market. Not an issue if you intend to sell into investor hype.
But if you want to stay more on solid ground, be aware.

Better homework as to what the market is now will help you to better decide what will be.

So, do you throw in the towel or will you do your homework better for a ever changing marketplace.
Roll with the changes. There have been and will be a lot of them.

Be it known that I do not 'target' 6 figure+ sales. It is a rich man's sport but perhaps you can get lucky.
Your mileage may vary.
I find more enjoyment and success targeting low 5 figures down to 2500 to start-ups.
Better cash flow and keeps me on my game.
Know that it is more of a level playing field than it ever has been. Except for this thing we call EXPERIENCE.
Which is that little voice in your head telling you that you are doing it wrong... again !
Willing to give up what you earned and quit now ?
I agree with the rest that you've provided a lot of valid points, but the main point is that everything is constantly changing. And even Google search is way different now from what we see compared to what it used to be like 15-20 years ago.

•••
People who invest in things early and usually more successful than those who invest later, yes.

•••
I don't think, i have seen many 3 to 4 years old seller also making 5fig...

But if you still not found this forum then you missing something very precious.

•••
People who invest in things early and usually more successful than those who invest later, yes.
That's my point. The same thing applies to Bitcoins and some other crypto. The same story happened to Apple investors, who bought shares instead of buying computers.

•••
A lot of early investors also lose massive amounts of money because for every early investment that pans out, many others go bust.

Everything looks good in retrospect.

 Brad

•••
That's my point. The same thing applies to Bitcoins and some other crypto. The same story happened to Apple investors, who bought shares instead of buying computers.
Sure, but early investors also take the biggest risks, and no one talks about bad investments. I mean imagine if you invested in Betamax.

Even domainers that invested in .net, and .org (or .biz, and .info), or bad conventions like hyphenated domains or long EMD:s may never see a return on their investments.

It's easy to look at the winners and say "you should've done what they did," forgetting that part of their success was due to luck.

Today's market is a lot safer, but that's also why you have speculators, which in turn means it's more strategic and more difficult to make money.

Last edited:
•••
Frank Schilling was last to the party and he won. He's young, cash rich (LIQUID) and lives in the Caribbean. He cashed out his portfolio, business and is retired. The old dinosaurs are still out there still trying to sell/pitch their names, they didn't win. Schilling is 54 today has time and his health, not to mention his risk is off the table.

What he did with nGTLDs >

"We didn’t get here by playing the rules of the game. We got here by setting the rules of the game.” – Chris Albrecht, CEO of HBO"

From my perspective the old dinosaurs of the industry left all the money on the table for the few of us who can connect the dots and make filthy lucre...... $100m+

1708113135797.png

Last edited:
•••
I've given myself only 3 years left to make $100m+ net . Which will mark a decade long in the business of domains... in reality it is too long. One must understand there is always a price to pay

☝️ I'll return to this post August 2027, which will mark my end. I'd love $20k on myself at 5000/1 that would be $200m+ :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
Don't get overly obsessed about becoming rich. As long as you're making money to pay the bills and support your family, you're doing fine and are a blessed person.

•••
That's before investing in anything, you need to analyze the products/services provided by the company and whether they will be in demand on the market or not. It's a lot of work to do before giving your money.
And, of course, there are high risks involved.

•••
Yep. Success takes luck. Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.

•••
and folks who get into the domain game 30 years from now will claim the most successful domainers got into the biz 30 years ago.

Funny how that works.

•••
You're right, dude

It's over for anything now

It's not like 20 years won't pass and there will be domains that people in 2044 will wish they got in 2024

•••
Ok so then explain this.

Anyone who bought those epic .com domain names where thinking the same as most of us are doing now, however even on a much lower level.

The person who purchased a lot of, ai names, had to wait how long?

We know Apple is on their .com but they could open their store on a.net where it's the only way to gain apps.

I get what you are saying but I mean what about marketing?

So now everyone is going to say oh my god, The AI king got all these epic names.

What's next?

Not to be rude but pretty sure a single web3 on a XYZ can cover the net worth of 95% on this forum, and if I would venture into web3 I would also venture into domain extensions that just feel a bit more modern and not so insanely boring.
I called other extensions besides. Com, Trend investing, .US had it moment, .Org had its moment, .in had its moment, LLLL.com went big with a trend. even .Mobi made some noise. back in the day. it was lucrative flipping those extensions. how did i know they would become a popular trend in domain selling ?? The domain name forums, although probably 80% of the sales were domainer to domainer sales, these trends raised a new bar in the industry in those days.

The same goes in development, the AdSense mini sites , the incumbent Yahoo Publisher sites, the affiliate sites.

You can swag with the trends and be happy. create them

Last edited:
•••
If you think of domains as virtual real estate, what is going to make them more valuable? Are they like wine, they get better with age? Maybe but probably not much better. Can you do something to make them more attractive though? Sure, throw a blog out there, put some decent content on it, start to get some backlinks and some google keywords ranked. Now the domain has more value. Someone can buy it and copy the slugs you already have ranked and get free traffic instantly. Is that more work than just buying and holding? Sure, but real estate agents sell staged houses quicker than empty ones and sometimes that extra work is worth it.

•••
Sorry think my post went in twice.

Last edited:
•••
Today, every new entrant to domains is trying to re-stock that same limited word barrel that existed 40 plus years ago. Purely through the application of alternative domain extensions.

To me it's a bit like bakers baking bread but then then running out of flour. Our new bakers have never worked with flour, Sure they can sample it, even bake new products with the diluted flour that's available but nobody really wants the substitute flour. For a start it tastes bitter and doesn't rise in the oven. The new products only gain some sales through marketing hype and bakers desperation to put just about anything on the shelf.

Best you source some of that, expensive original flour made products and become a true commodity trader. Storage life is generally good but watch out for those additives that can reduce the products sell by date

Last edited:
•••
Of course, everyone will say that you are lucky when you make some money on investments. But they just don't notice the hard work that should be put into the process before actually investing in something.
In the meantime, those early investors in crypto had higher risks because it was something brand-new, and no one had a clue how crypto would develop in the future.

•••
You're not going to answer the questions are you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back