Domain Empire

Another Non-Paying Sedo Buyer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I am SICK and TIRED of these Sedo deadbeat buyers thinking they can get away with their foolishness with impunity. Here is my latest Sedo deadbeat buyer story:

Read the series of communication between this deadbeat and I and let me know what you think. Feel free to add this "buyer's" information to your blogs/threads.

Here is the first email I sent after getting the buyer's contact information from Sedo aver waiting several weeks for payment that was never made:

Dear Mr. XXXX:

My name is xxxx, and I am the owner of xxxx. Sedo forwarded your contact information to me because you agreed in a legally binding contract to buy xxxx.com through Sedo, and you failed to pay for the domain name. While Sedo referred you to me for potential legal action for breach of contract, it is my hope that we can come to a resolution where both parties can be happy--you get the domain name, and I will receive payment as promised.

While looking at your website, it is evident that you could benefit from my domain name. The hyphen in your current domain is really dragging down your site's value, not to mention the lost traffic from people who forget to type that hyphen into their browsers. I am confident that you will recoup the cost of my domain name easily just from the new traffic you will receive. And you don't have to build another site. Just forward this domain to your existing site to capture that traffic.

So I am convinced that you NEED this domain, and not purchasing it would be a mistake. I will work with you, as long as you pay as agreed. I can also lease the domain to you (you make monthly installment payments) if price is an issue.

I need to hear from you ASAP so we can settle this matter. Thank you for your time and attention.

XXXX response:

I think money must be the issue on your end. I have never had anyone pursue $497.00 like it was the lotto prize before. I have many customers who are used to finding me with the hyphen. I simply changed my mind on this matter. There is nothing legally binding here so I would appreciate it if you and Sedo would quit harassing me.

Mr. XXXX

My response to this, with comments:

Dear Mr. XXXX:

My position on this matter is clear. The amount of money involved is not the issue. There is a principle here, and it is unfortunate that you as a business owner do not understand this. You made a commitment to buy the domain through the Sedo marketplace. Sedo lets buyers know that any offer made on their platform is legally binding, and you should not click "buy it now" if you are not in agreement with that. There is no "I changed my mind." That is not acceptable.

You can either pay what is owed willingly, or you will be forced to pay legally. That is up to you. I will give you 24 hours from the timestamp on this email to contact me to make payment arrangements and to submit payment to me. If payment is not made within the time period specified, the next communication you will receive will be a Summons for you to appear in small claims court concerning this matter.

Please keep in mind that amount I will be seeking from the Court will be far more than $497, and will include court costs, my travel expenses to your county in NC, and other remedies allowed by law. I also reserve the right to post your name, website, and contact information identifying you as a deadbeat Sedo buyer online until payment is made. My comments regarding the email you sent me are in bold, below.

I think money must be the issue on your end. (Why wouldn't money be an issue on my end? I am in business to make money, just as you are). I have never had anyone pursue $497.00 like it was the lotto prize before. (The amount really doesn't matter. The issue is that you made a commitment to buy through Sedo and reneged on that commitment. The same thing would happen if the purchase price was $60. I have had collection agencies come after me for $25 medical bills!) I have many customers who are used to finding me with the hyphen. (This may be true, but you, not I, went on Sedo to buy xxxx.com.) I simply changed my mind on this matter. (So commitment means nothing to you? I wonder if you are so generous as you expect me to be if a buyer makes a commitment via contract to pay for furniture and then decides to change his or her mind and not pay what is owed). There is nothing legally binding here (I would suggest reading your contract again) so I would appreciate it if you and Sedo would quit harassing me.(You are responsible for paying Sedo's commission, so they may continue to contact you or take whatever action they deem necessary to collect...I have no control over this.)

Final response from XXXX:

Do what you gotta do.

These deadbeats think they can get away with this because of the cost and inconvenience involved with pursuing them through the legal system.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just to clarify:

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

[/COLOR]Update: Mr. Keck and I are communicating, and I hope we can resolve our differences or agree to disagree. I will keep you posted.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Mr. Keck and I have reached an agreement, and he made a partial payment on the domain name. He will pay the remaining balance over time. Therefore, Mr, Keck is NOT a deadbeat buyer and I now consider the issue resolved.

To the mods/admin...since the issue is resolved, please feel free to modify/remove this thread as you see fit.

Thank you to those who replied, and to Namepros for allowing me to have a voice in this matter!

Congratulations.

•••
Just to clarify: I am not after anyone's money. I only want the buyer's money.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

[/COLOR]Update: Mr. Keck and I are communicating, and I hope we can resolve our differences or agree to disagree. I will keep you posted.

Your worse then a collection's agency or maybe your day job is in this line of work - you bullied and harassed this buyer ...

you disgust me as a human being...take your 60 pieces of silver and see how far that gets you in life.

enjoy the karma.

•••
Most would
rather be known as forgiving than spiteful bastard every day of the week.

Excellent work nohbdyduzitbett.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Your worse then a collection's agency or maybe your day job is in this line of work - you bullied and harassed this buyer ...

you disgust me as a human being...take your 60 pieces of silver and see how far that gets you in life.

enjoy the karma.

I don't get it? You don't think he should have tried to reach an agreement with the buyer?

Where does harassment start in your opinion? Should a person never pursue an NPB?

... and I have reached an agreement, and he made a partial payment on the domain name. He will pay the remaining balance over time. Therefore, xxx is NOT a deadbeat buyer and I now consider the issue resolved.

To the mods/admin...since the issue is resolved, please feel free to modify/remove this thread as you see fit.

Congratulations on reaching an agreement. But OP - don't leave it to the mods to clean up this thread with a small message at the bottom of page 7 that the issue is resolved. How many people who google the buyer's name do you think are going to read that?

It is not the mods' responsibility to go through the entire thread and remove all references to your buyer and decide what should be left out or not. If the buyer has agreed to buy your domain, it is likely that he did so to have his name removed in this negative context and you promised him to remove it if he bought your domain earlier on. This is your responsibility to fix and your mess to clean up. You should replace his name with Mr X or something. Naming and shaming is a drastic measure and once you reach agreement, you make good on your promise. As I said initially: Never make empty threats or promises you can't keep. So far it seems you are doing both?

•••
you bullied and harassed this buyer ...

Seriously?

Why shouldn't OP want the money due him? Why shouldn't he email him and ask him to honor his legal commitment?

Well, it looks as though this situation will have a happy ending for OP.

What I plan to do is redact the buyer's name in all my posts because OP says he's no longer a non-paying buyer.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

And in regards to the email correspondence,you can't publish it unless you have the approval of the other part.

Clarification: this is a copyright issue, not a privacy issue.

The writer of the emails owns a natural copyright on his own words, such as they are.

•••
Btw, I think it might be instructive to know how it came about that talks were resumed.

•••
I don't get it? You don't think he should have tried to reach an agreement with the buyer?

Where does harassment start in your opinion? Should a person never pursue an NPB?

Congratulations on reaching an agreement. But OP - don't leave it to the mods to clean up this thread with a small message at the bottom of page 7 that the issue is resolved. How many people who google the buyer's name do you think are going to read that?

It is not the mods' responsibility to go through the entire thread and remove all references to your buyer and decide what should be left out or not. If the buyer has agreed to buy your domain, it is likely that he did so to have his name removed in this negative context and you promised him to remove it if he bought your domain earlier on. This is your responsibility to fix and your mess to clean up. You should replace his name with Mr X or something. Naming and shaming is a drastic measure and once you reach agreement, you make good on your promise. As I said initially: Never make empty threats or promises you can't keep. So far it seems you are doing both?

I appreciate your concern, but don't be so quick to judge! I have already begun the process of removing his name from the thread, and will continue to do so throughout the day. I am at work and don't have unlimited, unencumbered time right now, to do this. But it will be done today. I am a man of my word.

Several members also referenced the buyer's name in the thread as well. There's is nothing can do about that. Only the mods can.

•••
I have already begun the process of removing his name from the thread, and will continue to do so throughout the day. I am at work and don't have unlimited, unencumbered time right now, to do this. But it will be done today. I am a man of my word.

Good for you.:)

Several members also referenced the buyer's name in the thread as well. There's is nothing can do about that. Only the mods can.

Should all else fail, there is always the possibility of pm'ing the appropriate members and ask them to help you out. It really is your responsibility to fix this. Btw, I have already removed his name from my post.

•••
You mentioned Rick Swartz in a previous post. Now he would have had this guy in court in a heartbeat. Despite any costs involved. That's where principal stands.

Do you believe that what he does is based on principles?

•••
the thing is: both sides are right. people bidding then backing out is bullshit.. huge reality of the internet. i get people who return computers to me all the time that had them for 6 weeks and nothing is wrong with them.

i could tell them to shove it up their ass and i'd be well within my rights because i only take returns for defects.. not because "your girlfriend bought you one for your birthday now you dont need it anymore." what am i, wal-mart?

butttttt on the other hand most people dont like being forced to keep a $500 item... a lot of times it isnt the money, its the unfair attitude they think you're giving them.

but seriously, non paying buyers for amounts like this are not worth pursuing. im aware of principle and getting sick and tired of the same thing happening, etc... but there comes a point where you should consider changing what YOU do to minimize future situations like this.

•••
Thread is not indexed so it will disappear from Google eventually.

Glad that there was some a resolution in the end that I hope is positive for both (one gets paid and one gets a much better domain at what I think is a reasonable price considering what it is).

I guess Bob got his girl back, Billy was forgiven, and the sand pit is fun again.

•••
Mr. Keck and I have reached an agreement

Whew!!!! Thats great, cuz I was almost out of popcorn n jujubees.

Seriously, congratz on getting paid.

Peace,
Cyberian

•••
I appreciate your concern, but don't be so quick to judge! I have already begun the process of removing his name from the thread, and will continue to do so throughout the day. I am at work and don't have unlimited, unencumbered time right now, to do this. But it will be done today. I am a man of my word.

I redacted my threads. I think I got them all.

•••
How do you guys know that people who just opened an account and claim to be who he is, is actually who he says he is?

I've read more than a few times, that many domain sales figures that get plastered here and there, are actually fakes.

•••

enjoy the karma.

I assume this has never happened to you, feel free to let us know when it does, lets see the sympathy you get lol

•••
How do you guys know that people who just opened an account and claim to be who he is, is actually who he says he is?

I've read more than a few times, that many domain sales figures that get plastered here and there, are actually fakes.

Sedo requires financial and personal info. Besides, OP has noted that he has been in direct contact with the buyer.

•••
It doesn't matter if it's $5, $50, $500 or $5000 that the buyer failed to follow up to. What matters, is the lack of ethics, particularly when an agreement to conduct a purchase comes with a legally binding contract. And sometimes, karma comes back 20 months later.

•••
At the request of the Thread starter, this thread is now being closed and buried in the graveyard as they have now reached a mutual agreement with the buyer and this matter is deemed resolved in their eyes.

Eric Lyon

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back