IT.COM

An Appeal For Good Samaritan Member of BackOrderZone.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnhoving

Impact
Trying to find some one who can help me with a domain auction at Backorderzone. A non profit needs a proxy bidder to help the organization purchase its .com domain name & preventing it from falling into a corrupt corporations hands.

I work for an environmental non profit organization who currently has the .org for the organizations name and we would like to also have the .com.

I had seen that it was expiring from the company that had owned the domain located in china. I did not understand the backordering process was even possible until it was too late.

I found out that the site was secured by another company after receiving two emails from some person with a gmail address asking if we were interested in buying the domain name so I started to investigate and found that it was already up for auction at backorderzone with less than 35 hours left.

The instructions on that web site are far from clear, so I joined thinking I could bid on the auction and secure the domain name before one of the corporate polluters we sue every day got a hold of it. No such luck, one has to be a member for backorderzone to participate in the auction. Dead in the water.

I came across this web site and posted a message in a thread dedicated to backorde zone but thought it might get more attention if I also sought recommendations from the general membership.

I would hate to see this domain fall into the hands of one of one of the corrupt corporations we fight every day or some opportunist looking to make a quick buck from a charity with little money to spare, so I am hoping someone might be able to help us.

I am at a loss and I don't even know if it is even possible to find a good samaritan proxy bidder at this point but I thought I would do everything I could to try and prevent this domain from falling into the wrong hands.

So if there are any members of Backorderzone.com out there that might be willing to step up and help us please contact me via PM or post,

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

john

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Being founded by is not being supported by.

Before criticizing an organization, consider learning more about it. Here's a brief synopsis: Member organizations are made up of local citizens all over the world who have decided to try and protect their waterway from those who are polluting them.

Thanks again for your comments and thoughts.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6756

Your one star rating on financials says it all.

Making me chuckle here, 1 M on admin / fundraising expenses vs 2.3 M for program costs? What kind of ratio is that.

But Thanks for your comments.

•••
•••
You would have to find a Good Samaritan that already put a backorder on the domain to profit off of it.

So you will have to pay up one way or the other as backorderzone users are probably 100% hardcore proffiteers

Did you check how many people are in the auction?

Good Luck

•••
•••
•••
" Who We Are

Founded in 1999 by environmental attorney and activist Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., "

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/general-article/kennedy-wealth/

"Joe Kennedy’s money may have had unsavory sources as well. He is rumored to have imported liquor during Prohibition, working with mobsters in that industry "

Its easy to criticize when you have a trust fund baby supporting you no?

@Sam:

According your conclusion and the parallels you draw, anyone in the world driving a FORD would be a Nazi, because 50 years ago Henry Ford , the founder of this company, wrote "the international jew" , helped hitler and was an anti-semite.
I think you should reconsider the historical significance of people in the past when looking at things today and the basis of your accusations.

@John:

You can only wait, contact the auction winner once he is in the whois and hope that the winner of the auction is
(1) not too greedy
(2) likes your organisation and what you do
In that case it is possible that you can buy the domain from him after compensating his charges (and maybe a little profit).
(3) is not Aggro ;)

If that shouldn't be the case, another option could be the legal option which you have to discuss with your lawyers and maybe consult a pro TM/domain lawyer:
http://www.trademarkia.com/waterkeeper-75400019.html

I didn't like everything you wrote, but nonetheless good luck.

•••

great ratio! thanks

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

sure will TM lawyers be so samaritan and value their time at 0 to chip in this graceful affair. but with that ratio of funding op's org has dropping a few grand on this does not seem impossible. and also amusing to see domainers advise to sponsor a tm lawyer rather than making an equivalent direct offer to the owner of the domain that does not look like an insult.

Last edited:
•••
great ratio! thanks

Atypical to say the least. I don't think it operates under normal charity conditions.

I think anywhere in the 70c+ of the $1 reaching end goal is "good". I think a lot of charities should simply fold honestly. Some charities are short lived by design... once you've served your purpose (and that may include a long term trust) you don't really need to exist anymore. Some of the big charities have poor ratios because their new goals are ill defined.

March of Dimes for example was setup for Polio... we don't really need that anymore. Now it's "infant mortality" - noble goal but too broad. Less than 50% does anything and the President gets $500K a year.

It would be better if just did a distribution to charities looking at specific issues so that the money has a proper target, and tighter goals.

Anyway - off topic.

The domain is in the hands of someone soon. The term Water Keeper can be used for any water container or conservation effort so I don't think OP has anything to worry about. It will either be parked (who cares) or used to sell something that doesn't conflict with the .org.

Waterkeeper.org is about 1 of 1000 people that could use this name. I don't know why there is such a fuss though. The charity should never spend money on this domain - it's a waste of time. Most of their sites are smaller groups operating on many many different domains and all link to the parent site I would imagine. Pretty sure Google, Bing, and whatever can all handle it.

•••
Just wanted to report I successfully obtained the domain address discussed in the thread and for a very reasonable price.

I want to thank those that helped me navigate this process, your guidance helped me and it was very much appreciated.

•••
Just wanted to report I successfully obtained the domain address discussed in the thread and for a very reasonable price.

I want to thank those that helped me navigate this process, your guidance helped me and it was very much appreciated.

Congrats! :D

•••

awesome congrats

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back