Dynadot

An Appeal For Good Samaritan Member of BackOrderZone.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnhoving

Impact
Trying to find some one who can help me with a domain auction at Backorderzone. A non profit needs a proxy bidder to help the organization purchase its .com domain name & preventing it from falling into a corrupt corporations hands.

I work for an environmental non profit organization who currently has the .org for the organizations name and we would like to also have the .com.

I had seen that it was expiring from the company that had owned the domain located in china. I did not understand the backordering process was even possible until it was too late.

I found out that the site was secured by another company after receiving two emails from some person with a gmail address asking if we were interested in buying the domain name so I started to investigate and found that it was already up for auction at backorderzone with less than 35 hours left.

The instructions on that web site are far from clear, so I joined thinking I could bid on the auction and secure the domain name before one of the corporate polluters we sue every day got a hold of it. No such luck, one has to be a member for backorderzone to participate in the auction. Dead in the water.

I came across this web site and posted a message in a thread dedicated to backorde zone but thought it might get more attention if I also sought recommendations from the general membership.

I would hate to see this domain fall into the hands of one of one of the corrupt corporations we fight every day or some opportunist looking to make a quick buck from a charity with little money to spare, so I am hoping someone might be able to help us.

I am at a loss and I don't even know if it is even possible to find a good samaritan proxy bidder at this point but I thought I would do everything I could to try and prevent this domain from falling into the wrong hands.

So if there are any members of Backorderzone.com out there that might be willing to step up and help us please contact me via PM or post,

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

john

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Blablabla.. _\|/_

Listen to this schmuck who typifies the mentality of most "end users":
"Corporate polluters"..LOL
"fall into the wrong hands"

You just know if owner of the .com was MSoft, Google, General Electric...he wouldn't say sh:!:t

Of course, schmucks like you think you have a god-given right to the domain just b/c your sh:!:tty little non-profit is using the .org

Anyway, too late. If it's already been caught, only bidders who backordered the name can participate in the auction

Good - serves you right! :lol:

I hope the winner asks an arm & leg for it - and you never get it! :lol:

That'll teach you non-profit Johnny-cum-lately wannabes a lesson! :lol:

•••
Thanks for your comment!

Last edited:
•••
Trying to find some one who can help me with a domain auction at Backorderzone.

Ethics and arguments aside, backorderzone is a domain dropcatcher but it is just one of many. Dropcatchers differ in effectiveness and in ethics themselves. Droporderzone does seem to present some competition when vying with other 'catchers to try grab a deleting domain, but generally it's not one of the more powerful players.

You'd have a better chance grabbing the name if you use Namejet, Snapnames, and Pool. Best to sign up for these few, rather than relying on just one dropcatcher. Backorderzone also has a pretty bad rep... things like catching a good name for someone and then keeping it for themselves rather than turning it over to the 'winner'. Some of the others have questionable practices and none of them are shiny and clean really, but your best bet would be to ignore backorderzone and concentrate on pool, snapnames and namejet, generally considered the top 3 catchers.

Even then, they may not catch the name; there are private individuals who have created powerful dropcatching methods and they often scoop even the top 3. Andrew Reberry is one of them, well known for scooping a lot of dropping names.

Good luck, hope it works out. Welcome to Namepros :)

•••
Horse & closing the barn door & all that :lol:

waterkeeper.com _\|/_ reg'd on 3/3/2013

I'm sure Hoving will now:
- run off crying
- offer the winner $60 "as a goodwill gesture"
- when that fails, threaten with using 'lawyers'. In reality he ain't got a pot to pi$$ in
- wait 1 yr later & every year thereafter, checking the WHOIS religiously to see if it expires

Doh! :lol:

Face it, you don't 'need' the .com, nor does the non-profit. It's nice to have, that's all
It's not the difference between the entity suceeding or not. Don't kid yourself

PS. Anyway, schmucks like the OP are the 'problem' with the 'domaining' industry
The sooner these chumps die off, the better :lol:

PSS. Don't hate the player, hate the game :lol::wave:

Last edited:
•••
waterkeeper.com _\|/_ reg'd on 3/3/2013

Is that the domain Hoving was referring to?
I like it. Would have bought that myself and then offered to sell it back to them at a hugely inflated corporate greed price :)

•••
John - not every domainer thinks like that. I have acquired some .com's & donated them to the nonprofits that could best use them, and I'm certainly not the only one. Sorry this one circumstance didn't work out for you. Good luck.

•••
thanks for your comment!

Last edited:
•••
Do you have a registered trademark on waterkeeper? Looks like there are a few active ones. Couple to do with plumbing hardware but the description on another one looks to be in your interest:

promoting the interests of natural resources conservationists

PM'ing a tip to you right now...

•••
non profits are always expecting something for nothing. very annoying.

•••
non profits are always expecting something for nothing. very annoying.

And people expect to get clean water when they turn on their tap!
&
thanks for your comment!

Last edited:
•••
john, if you knew the auciton winner had paid for the sake of example $5000 in the auction bidding war to win the domain what would you say?
seriously.

•••
john, if you knew the auciton winner had paid for the sake of example $5000 in the auction bidding war to win the domain what would you say?
seriously.

1. It's currently being auctioned for $120
and

2. the answer would be NO!

thanks for your comment!

Last edited:
•••
And people expect to get clean water when they turn on their tap!
&
thanks for your comment!

so i assume you and everyone else at this non profit works for free?

•••
At this point it's too late for you or anyone else to bid unless you had a backorder. The only option is to buy the domain from the auction winner. Good luck!

•••
and

thanks for your comment!
i thought a samaritan would say something with compassion like :
i'm sorry for you pal. are you good, need some water? =)))))

•••
It's called capitalism!! Blame the game, not the players!

•••
and

thanks for your comment!

"Founded in 1999 by environmental attorney and activist Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., "

So much hypocrisy coming from you John. I am sure Jr. Kennedy's money came from ____. And I am sure your charity with Kennedy money ain't "broke".

•••
"Founded in 1999 by environmental attorney and activist Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., "

So much hypocrisy coming from you John. I am sure Jr. Kennedy's money came from ____. And I am sure your charity with Kennedy money ain't "broke".

hy·poc·ri·sy
The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

Not sure how one makes that assumption here, but,none the less, thank you for taking the time to give your opinion and thoughts.

•••
hy·poc·ri·sy
The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

Not sure how one makes that assumption here, but,none the less, thank you for taking the time to give your opinion and thoughts.

"I would hate to see this domain fall into the hands of one of one of the corrupt corporations we fight every day or some opportunist looking to make a quick buck from a charity with little money to spare,"

http://www.waterkeeper.org/ht/d/sp/i/181/pid/181

" Who We Are

Founded in 1999 by environmental attorney and activist Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., "

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/general-article/kennedy-wealth/

"Joe Kennedy’s money may have had unsavory sources as well. He is rumored to have imported liquor during Prohibition, working with mobsters in that industry "

Its easy to criticize when you have a trust fund baby supporting you no?

•••
hy·poc·ri·sy

Have you accepted the fact that the domain is out of reach? Money is your only hope now...

•••
I would do everything I could to try and prevent this domain from falling into the wrong hands.
How much are you willing to pay for the proxy bidder ??

•••
As I breeze through this thread, let me say...I'm not a fan of hitting newbies with dislikes. The learning curve is huge in domaining. I'm glad there wasn't a dislike option when I started! Constructive criticism and guidance are the best bet in this situation :imho:

•••
Being founded by is not being supported by.

Before criticizing an organization, consider learning more about it. Here's a brief synopsis: Member organizations are made up of local citizens all over the world who have decided to try and protect their waterway from those who are polluting them.

Thanks again for your comments and thoughts.

•••
The Tags below this thread are a chuckle. LOL. How do these Tags work, anyway? I'm a newbie on Tags.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back